WKU making a "hard push" for Tremont Waters | Page 15 | The Boneyard

WKU making a "hard push" for Tremont Waters

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
What if he hates it there, like many BY posters have too? Then again... he's going there for playing time, not for the environment of the campus.
I thought the state of Louisiana almost closed the colleges down due to budget cuts. Good thing he's education first.

Reaction Score
So about that whole valuing education, looking at Stanford, hoping for Duke, picking G'town thing....

#1 PA Husky Fan

Diehard Fan of All UConn Sports Teams!
Reaction Score
Time to move on. Obviously, he doesn't want to stay home. For a top 40 player, there have been a lot of passes on him. Something is scaring them away! Probably for the best as he wouldn't start and would transfer out after his freshman year.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
This whole thing to me, has become a joke
The kid wants the keys, wants a quality education, wants a winning tradition - where does he head to look? LSU??????????????
Where the chicks are hot, the team basically sucks, the athletic program has been more than suspect and the school is an academic question mark in one of the least educated states in the country
Have a fun time and thank Daddy when you're at it

C

Chief00

This whole thing to me, has become a joke
The kid wants the keys, wants a quality education, wants a winning tradition - where does he head to look? LSU??????????????
Where the chicks are hot, the team basically sucks, the athletic program has been more than suspect and the school is an academic question mark in one of the least educated states in the country
Have a fun time and thank Daddy when you're at it
Quite frankly, you are overvaluing the education aspect.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
You can get to the NBA from anywhere, but...

If you say you've been working on this kid on the court and in the classroom since he was five and he ends up at Louisiana State University, you screwed something up.

Even if you have something against UConn, just go back to Georgetown at this point. There is no metric by which LSU is better than Georgetown here. Somebody doesn't know what they're doing.

Reaction Score
Without even thinking about UConn, it's incredibly disheartening to read that 2014 article

Sad to see the family completely change from appreciating the quality, life changing education offered by an institution like Yale

Fact is, short term cash and prestige rule right now. Place like LSU, who came out of nowhere in this recruitment, may offer benefits that help the family over the next 2years, but that'll never amount to power/network/prestige of an Ivy League education

If he's good enough, an NBA team will take him out of Yale. The league is motivated by talent, not college ccompetition. If he's not good enough, 3yrs at LSU does him no good.

Sad to see a family that doesn't understand that value and that opportunity because they've never had it before

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Yep, I didn't know anything about the kid and couldn't care less where he ends up if we don't get him, but after reading that article a month ago, the family looks like asshats if they end up at LSU or Western Kentucky.

C

Chief00

You can get to the NBA from anywhere, but...

If you say you've been working on this kid on the court and in the classroom since he was five and he ends up at Louisiana State University, you screwed something up.

Even if you have something against UConn, just go back to Georgetown at this point. There is no metric by which LSU is better than Georgetown here. Somebody doesn't know what they're doing.

Agreed.

Reaction Score
Regarding Yale, it is awfully difficult to get a "likely" letter for a prospective Yale student who took 6 years to graduate high school...

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Waters said he recently met with Yale’s basketball coach, an emotional moment when he realized that his efforts to put his son on a path to success were paying off. Yale represents not just athletic success, but access to a network of power and privilege that could open a wealth of new opportunities for Tremont.

“The reason we got involved with sports was to develop character,” Waters said. He and his wife Vanessa Waters (pictured below) weren’t looking only to raise an NBA star, but a successful man. That means getting into college and, if possible, getting a scholarship. “A free degree, that’s been our goal.”

Reaction Score
Its simple. It is approaching June, you were sitting on hope that certain offers would come in that never materialized, you misplayed your hand, and contrary to what some posters on here are claiming, you ran out of options. This is a panic move that won't end well. Again, I am certain that the Tremont camp is as shocked as anyone that LSU somehow became the landing spot. This recruitment was a complete disaster from start to finish and it centers arounds Pops disconnect from reality. On paper, Tremont would have been a nice add. In reality, it never would have worked. Can't blame the staff on this one.

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
No, I've named schools. You can find it in several of my posts. In fact, if he goes to LSU, he'll go over offers from places like Maryland, which desperately needs him for lack of enough guards.
If what you say is true, in what universe is LSU a better choice than UMD?

pj

Reaction Score
It's really disturbing that the top players in Connecticut the last few years, with whom the program had long-time connections (e.g. Taliek with Hami), both shunned UConn for inferior alternatives (Hami a semester at Putnam Science followed by a semester of not playing at Kentucky, Tremont for apparently LSU). I hope KO has recognized why he hasn't been able to sell kids on UConn, and fixed the problem.

Reaction Score
It's really disturbing that the top players in Connecticut the last few years, with whom the program had long-time connections (e.g. Taliek with Hami), both shunned UConn for inferior alternatives (Hami a semester at Putnam Science followed by a semester of not playing at Kentucky, Tremont for apparently LSU). I hope KO has recognized why he hasn't been able to sell kids on UConn, and fixed the problem.
And how has it worked out for the players? Sometimes it's impossible to compensate for unrealistic expectations and/or demands. One kid never got the early first round guarantee and is forced to expose himself to high level competition and the other had a final list that included Creighton, WKU, and LSU. The staff has issues but these misses aren't part of the core.

Reaction Score
UK is not an inferior option

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

Or...

... it could be that they just don't want to be at State U and that there isn't much Ollie can do about it. I know that such an idea is sacrilegious around here, but perhaps it's possible that no sales job would change that. We see it all the time, in every sport. Why does a kid from LA choose to play football in Texas and a kid from Texas choose to go to Alabama and a kid from Alabama go to USC? Maybe because they want to.

Having said all that, it's hard to know what this kid wants. I suspect we'll know in the next few weeks...

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Or...

... it could be that they just don't want to be at State U and that there isn't much Ollie can do about it. I know that such an idea is sacrilegious around here, but perhaps it's possible that no sales job would change that. We see it all the time, in every sport. Why does a kid from LA choose to play football in Texas and a kid from Texas choose to go to Alabama and a kid from Alabama go to USC? Maybe because they want to.

Having said all that, it's hard to know what this kid wants. I suspect we'll know in the next few weeks...
To take him at his word after he decommitted from Georgetown, he's looking a stable coaching situation. Which we may no longer have.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Do not use the "KO can't recruit top CT kids" excuse.

Hami, Waters, and Herron all have had alternative motives other than playing college basketball. In these kids situations money and the quickest path to the league clouds their judgement while selecting a good education. Their views do not align with UConn or KO's, so it's nonsense to keep bringing it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom