WKU making a "hard push" for Tremont Waters | Page 16 | The Boneyard

WKU making a "hard push" for Tremont Waters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From what I gather if TW doesn't come here it's because of both a crowed backcourt and coaching stability. His camp feels that if KO doesn't produce next season he may be gone. Now LSU may not be the bb power he was hoping for but it has new exciting coach. Maybe Waters sees an opportunity that many of us don't. Being from New Haven and a "casual" UConn fan I would love to see Tremont here but wherever he goes I hope he has a great career.

Reaction Score
We need 3-4 year guards... I don't like that 1 and done garbage unless it's a natty team. TW can learn from the best here.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Do not use the "KO can't recruit top CT kids" excuse.

Hami, Waters, and Herron all have had alternative motives other than playing college basketball. In these kids situations money and the quickest path to the league clouds their judgement while selecting a good education. Their views do not align with UConn or KO's, so it's nonsense to keep bringing it up.

I agree CT BUT some people just can't help but play the blame game on KO for everything

pj

Reaction Score
I know that each of these kids had their idiosyncratic desires which drew them away from UConn, but in the end I think their behavior was self-destructive and didn't succeed in achieving those desires.

Please don't give me "UK is not an inferior option" when the choice is between sitting on the bench at UK and playing at UConn. If you're a player, then UK is an inferior option in that scenario. If TW's camp thinks KO is on the hot seat (which I don't believe) then KO needs to come up with a credible pitch to address that, potentially including getting AD Dave Benedict to speak to TW's dad. Re djct's point, that it hasn't worked out well for the players -- this is exactly my point, they chose inferior options. A good salesman shows a target how he can get what he wants. KO had to show Hami how UConn could get him drafted in 2017 while Kentucky couldn't, or Tremont how he could learn from KO's 13 year NBA career to make the NBA himself.

Reaction Score
From what I gather if TW doesn't come here it's because of both a crowed backcourt and coaching stability. His camp feels that if KO doesn't produce next season he may be gone.

To me it is that simple. I'm not sure why people continue to ignore the fact that we already have two point guards on our roster that are better than TW right now. A third, in Vital, is coming off a very promising freshmen season and will see minutes. If you want to be the man (rightly or wrong in TWs case), why would you come here to be 2nd or 3rd fiddle to Jalen or Alterique?

On the second point, even the most optimistic KO supporter has to admit that if we are a .500 team again this season, KO may not survive.

This narrative that we are UConn and every CT kid would be honored to play for us is pretty dated, imo...

Reaction Score
I know that each of these kids had their peculiarities, and I think their behavior was self-destructive. But please don't give me "UK is not an inferior option" when the choice is between sitting on the bench at UK and playing at UConn. If you're a player, then UK is an inferior option in that scenario. If TW's camp thinks KO is on the hot seat (which I don't believe) then KO needs to come up with a credible pitch to address that, potentially including getting AD Dave Benedict to speak to TW's dad. Re djct's point, that it hasn't worked out well for the players -- this is exactly my point, they chose inferior options. A good salesman shows a target how he can get what he wants. KO had to show Hami how UConn could get him drafted in 2017 while Kentucky couldn't, or Tremont how he could learn from KO's tortuous path to a 13 year NBA career to make the NBA himself.
Not when he almost got drafted just sitting on the bench. Your severely underestimating how much exposure he got just by practicing. The fact that he would have been drafted first rd proves he made the right decision. Now he'll play next yr on a stacked team where his flaws will be hidden. Just attending UK is sadly better for your pro prospects than UConn these days. I bleed blue but it is what it is. Cal has created an NBA factory where practices are freaking combines. It may be hard to admit but that opportunity does not exist in Storrs

pj

Reaction Score
I agree CT BUT some people just can't help but play the blame game on KO for everything

That's not me. I do think KO needs to learn how to sell himself and UConn better.

Reaction Score
Please don't give me "UK is not an inferior option" when the choice is between sitting on the bench at UK and playing at UConn. If you're a player, then UK is an inferior option in that scenario.

I honestly think not playing at Kentucky was the better option than playing for us this year. I really do. By not playing for them, he is able to practice and get better without getting exposed as someone coming into the lineup mid-season with rust and a lack of knowledge of whatever system we claim to run. Couple that with how bad we were and being part of the season long draft combine at UK is a better option in my opinion.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I know that each of these kids had their idiosyncratic desires which drew them away from UConn, but in the end I think their behavior was self-destructive and didn't succeed in achieving those desires.

Please don't give me "UK is not an inferior option" when the choice is between sitting on the bench at UK and playing at UConn. If you're a player, then UK is an inferior option in that scenario. If TW's camp thinks KO is on the hot seat (which I don't believe) then KO needs to come up with a credible pitch to address that, potentially including getting AD Dave Benedict to speak to TW's dad. Re djct's point, that it hasn't worked out well for the players -- this is exactly my point, they chose inferior options. A good salesman shows a target how he can get what he wants. KO had to show Hami how UConn could get him drafted in 2017 while Kentucky couldn't, or Tremont how he could learn from KO's 13 year NBA career to make the NBA himself.

Agree with nearly all of this except the fact that a UK role player has an advantage over a UConn role player in getting drafted.
Not sure UConn has any advantage over UK draft wise - maybe nearly any other school, but The Squid has that market segment cornered right now. The only advantage is playing time but UK has had a few 20 minute per game guys get great looks from NBA teams

Reactions: pj

pj

Reaction Score
Not when he almost got drafted just sitting on the bench. Your severely underestimating how much exposure he got just by practicing. The fact that he woukd havr been drafted late first proves he made the right decision. Now he'll play next yr on a stacked team where his flaws will be hidden. Just attending UK is sadly bettet for your pro prospects than UConn thesr days. I bleed blue bit it is what it is. Cal has created an NBA factory where practices are freaking combineses. It may be hard to admit but that opportunity does not exist in Storrs

He wouldn't have been drafted in the first, that is why he dropped out of the draft. If he had played at UConn he would have relieved concerns and made it into the first round. It's just not true that attending UK is better for every player's pro prospects, and if it is then UConn needs to improve its player development. The ability to practice against UK's NBA talent is not itself critical to development; and with NCAA practice time limitations, and the nature of practice, practices can't make up for the opportunity to play in games against players who are really trying to beat you.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I honestly think not playing at Kentucky was the better option than playing for us this year. I really do. By not playing for them, he is able to practice and get better without getting exposed as someone coming into the lineup mid-season with rust and a lack of knowledge of whatever system we claim to run. Couple that with how bad we were and being part of the season long draft combine at UK is a better option in my opinion.
Maybe IF he played for UConn, maybe "how bad we were" wouldn't have been that bad?

Reaction Score
That's not me. I do think KO needs to learn how to sell himself and UConn better.
He sold UConn pretty well to Hami. Ppl forget we beat out every major program for him besides UK. Arizona wanted him as well. There is no possible way KO can sell hami that UConn can get him to the league in one yr better than UK with a straight face. KO hasnt done it yet while cal has at least 3 first rd picks every yr

Reactions: pj

pj

Reaction Score
He sold UConn pretty well to Hami. Ppl forget we beat out every major program for him besides UK. Arizona wanted him as well. There is no possible way KO can sell hami that UConn can get him to the league in one yr better than UK with a straight face. KO hasnt done it yet while cal has at least 3 first rd picks every yr

Now you're coming up with better arguments ... but not ones that a good salesman could not overcome. Calipari gets 3 first round picks every year because he is a great salesman. Hami's situation was the case of an Eskimo deciding whether to buy ice from Calipari or firewood from KO. He chose the ice and it was a mistake on his part, but also a poor selling job on KO's part.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Not pointing a finger your way
I can't say if he needs to sell it better - sometimes kids get their own mind made up and are influenced in a way that at times, common sense takes a back seat.

Reaction Score
He wouldn't have been drafted in the first, that is why he dropped out of the draft. If he had played at UConn he would have relieved concerns and made it into the first round. It's just not true that attending UK is better for every player's pro prospects, and if it is then UConn needs to improve its player development. The ability to practice against UK's NBA talent is not itself critical to development; and with NCAA practice time limitations, and the nature of practice, practices can't make up for the opportunity to play in games against players who are really trying to beat you.
No. He wants to be a lottery pick is why he came back. He was projected as high as 18-20. He had a very good chance of going first rd. If he played at UConn last yr he would have had a huge role where is deficiencies would have been highlighted. At UK he gets to blend in with the other stars, and come june they all get drafted high first round because.........they're UK. Add thar he has the espn hype machine behind him now. Win win

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
But The Squid gets 4 or 5 guys every year who walk into the school already being lottery picks. Christ even The Picker can get these guys to play zone and they still will be lottery picks

Reaction Score
Now you're coming up with better arguments ... but not ones that a good salesman could not overcome. Calipari gets 3 first round picks every year because he is a great salesman. Hami's situation was the case of an Eskimo deciding whether to buy ice from Calipari or firewood from KO. He chose the ice and it was a mistake on his part, but also a poor selling job on KO's part.
Once cal got involved no one in the country besides K had a chance. Thats the reality of CBB recruiting. Those guys get who they want while everyone else gets the left overs. This isnt a KO Uconn centric problem

Reaction Score
But The Squid gets 4 or 5 guys every year who walk into the school already being lottery picks. Christ even The Picker can get these guys to play zone and they still will be lottery picks
Agreed. But its still created an NBA factory that no one can effectively recruit against. Unless your Coach K

Reaction Score
Maybe IF he played for UConn, maybe "how bad we were" wouldn't have been that bad?

See, I do not think it would have made any difference AND it would have exposed some of his glaring weaknesses. If he randomly arrived at the beginning of the 2nd semester all the talk would have been of him being this savior of sorts for us. We know that Hami was not ready for that and the NBA scouts have clearly told him he has a great deal to work on. I think, without question, that UK was the better choice for his purpose. It did not work out exactly how he wanted so now he has to "settle" on being on a top 10 team that will every NBA scout at every game. Right move to me.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
No. He wants to be a lottery pick is why he came back. He was projected as high as 18-20. He had a very good chance of going first rd. If he played at UConn last yr he would have had a huge role where is deficiencies would have been highlighted. At UK he gets to blend in with the other stars, and come june they all get drafted high first round because....they're UK. Add thar he has the espn hype machine behind him now. Win win
Sorry to disagree - most draft projections have him last 5 1st round and or 2nd round - I agree he wants to be lottery, has the prototype body BUT shooting and defensive is lacking - now
He couldn't sit on a NBA bench and hone those skills and am sure he would not consider the D League

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
See, I do not think it would have made any difference AND it would have exposed some of his glaring weaknesses. If he randomly arrived at the beginning of the 2nd semester all the talk would have been of him being this savior of sorts for us. We know that Hami was not ready for that and the NBA scouts have clearly told him he has a great deal to work on. I think, without question, that UK was the better choice for his purpose. It did not work out exactly how he wanted so now he has to "settle" on being on a top 10 team that will every NBA scout at every game. Right move to me.
That's cool

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If what you say is true, in what universe is LSU a better choice than UMD?

The universe where you are a football player. I hate DC, so I wouldn't want to touch Maryland, but that's just me.

Reaction Score
The universe where you are a football player. I hate DC, so I wouldn't want to touch Maryland, but that's just me.

In the basketball univer$e, MD is still probably supreme given the Under Armour connections...

Curiouser
Reaction Score
If he was a football player, I would agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom