Wilson | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Wilson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
AG was able to get in the lane and past his defender at will. He has good vision but being a "true freshman" he was a work in progress with learning to not over penetrate and when you use a floater, pull up, take it to the rim, or set up a teammate.

He was also a pest on d and the best on ball defender although he struggled at times knowing when to dig down/ help off his man and got caught in no man's land on occasion.

IMO he was the most talented/ highest ceiling player on the team and it would have taken to February for the "casual" fan to see how great a player. His shot is a work in progress but he shot well in high school and playing with the shoulder brace was definitely affecting his shooting.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Why isn't there a Northern Connecticut? We have Southern, Eastern, Central, and Western after all.

Because of a couple of drunk surveyors from Boston, northern CT used to be part of southern, western MA. They started from the wrong point. Then they fixed the mistake, almost completely. That's why we have the notch, that little piece of MA carved out of CT. I guess both states wanted a shoreline on the Congamond Lakes. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Alterique may be our best player. He plays BOTH ends. His shooting will improve, he’s played, what, 10 career games? He shot 54% from 3 in high school. Every one of our big time point guards had shooting issues early on in their careers. He just needs to put it in the time and get game experience. It’s all about health w him. More importantly, he plays w EFFORT and he makes watching the team much more enjoyable. AG is a huge part of this team, and him out can’t be overlooked towards our misfortune. Especially w MAL leaving and Jalen borderline regressing.

Reaction Score
Alterique may be our best player. He plays BOTH ends. His shooting will improve, he’s played, what, 10 career games? He shot 54% from 3 in high school. Every one of our big time point guards had shooting issues early on in their careers. He just needs to put it in the time and get game experience. It’s all about health w him. More importantly, he plays w EFFORT and he makes watching the team much more enjoyable. AG is a huge part of this team, and him out can’t be overlooked towards our misfortune. Especially w MAL leaving and Jalen borderline regressing.
I just hope he can get the opportunity to show his improvement, feel so bad for the kid with his injuries.

Reaction Score
Because of a couple of drunk surveyors from Boston, northern CT used to be part of southern, western MA. They started from the wrong point. Then they fixed the mistake, almost completely. That's why we have the notch, that little piece of MA carved out of CT. I guess both states wanted a shoreline on the Congamond Lakes. :rolleyes:

Yeah no it's about 3 miles from me and because of that notch I think they forget we could also be Giant fans at CBS/FOX they never show them anymore. Not that it hurt this year at all, maybe they were actually doing me a favor, but suddenly they're never on. What makes these station directors think we give 2 s**ts about the Panthers vs the Buccaneers?

Anyway I do believe that to be the area which could support Northern CT University on the Lake/South Pond.:rolleyes:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Even when he was healthy he wasn't too effective and we were still struggling. I just don't see this super player in Gilbert. A good athlete who can't shoot to save his life. He would help but it wouldn't change the trajectory of this team as we were still struggling with him in the lineup. We needed another bonafide scorer who can shoot on this team most of all.
I was thinking about the addition of Sid not Alterique.

I would have liked to see AG's trajectory if had come to us uninjured. We'll never know. I have a healthy skepticism that he will be an impact player for us, given the shoulder injuries and the lost time, but, obviously I am rooting for him.

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
What in God's name is going on with this? Last week they say a decision is coming the end of the week and early this week. We'll it's now middle of the week and still nothing... hate how this is dragging. We could use him against Wichita St.

pj

Reaction Score
What in God's name is going on with this? Last week they say a decision is coming the end of the week and early this week. We'll it's now middle of the week and still nothing... hate how this is dragging. We could use him against Wichita St.

The NCAA was 20 minutes from a decision but decided to go on vacation for two weeks. Then they'll need a week to plow through the built-up emails. They'll get to Sid about Jan 10.

Reaction Score
AG was able to get in the lane and past his defender at will. He has good vision but being a "true freshman" he was a work in progress with learning to not over penetrate and when you use a floater, pull up, take it to the rim, or set up a teammate.

He was also a pest on d and the best on ball defender although he struggled at times knowing when to dig down/ help off his man and got caught in no man's land on occasion.

IMO he was the most talented/ highest ceiling player on the team and it would have taken to February for the "casual" fan to see how great a player. His shot is a work in progress but he shot well in high school and playing with the shoulder brace was definitely affecting his shooting.
Good Gilbert assessment
someone actually understands that on ball and team D skills are mutually exclusive. The former God given the latter an acquired skill
Gilbert was a pest though
UConn had 10 steals against MSU
JA isn’t a bad on ball defender
either. I was salivating at the potential until Gilbert’s injury.
Team D like 2014 took years to squire and is greatly enhanced by good on ball guys.
Gilbert was absolutely not ready for the lead guard . But with an inexperienced team and no rim protector I see why KO featured him
prominently.

Reaction Score
Good Gilbert assessment
someone actually understands that on ball and team D skills are mutually exclusive. The former God given the latter an acquired skill
Gilbert was a pest though
UConn had 10 steals against MSU
JA isn’t a bad on ball defender
either. I was salivating at the potential until Gilbert’s injury.
Team D like 2014 took years to squire and is greatly enhanced by good on ball guys.
Gilbert was absolutely not ready for the lead guard . But with an inexperienced team and no rim protector I see why KO featured him
prominently.
Usually the best assessment of any player is found in a thread with the title of a different player's name.

Reaction Score
I don't even want him playing this year, this team is toast with or without him. Don't want him wasting a year of eligibility on this disaster

Reaction Score
I do not understand the idea that people do not want him to waste a year of eligibility. It is always better when players play, for their growth. Sitting out a year is never the ideal, unless they lack the ability to play initially. If he can make an impact even the slightest this year, it would benefit him and the team in the long run. Let him get used to the college game, we don't want him to waste part of next year shaking of the rust.

Reaction Score
think we will hear info tom am. 55% percent yes from my guest

Reaction Score
I do not understand the idea that people do not want him to waste a year of eligibility. It is always better when players play, for their growth. Sitting out a year is never the ideal, unless they lack the ability to play initially. If he can make an impact even the slightest this year, it would benefit him and the team in the long run. Let him get used to the college game, we don't want him to waste part of next year shaking of the rust.
One of the biggest complaints has been on KO and his development of players. I would take an extra year of Wilson developing under the new coach. Of course KO could come back and make that all a moot point anyway.

The main reason I feel that way is basically what everyone said about Facey early last year. Was it really worth having him play 5 minutes every game freshman year when he was out of the rotation. I personally don't think it was, and feel the same about Wilson. I don't think it's worth wasting 30 games of a senior Wilson for 10-15 games of freshman Wilson in a lost season. But maybe I'm in the minority there

Reaction Score
If he’s eligible, he should play 30 min a game this year. Freshman need time to develop, play him as much as possible. Same can be said for every freshman on the team. If this season is lost, limit DO and play the freshman bigs.

Reaction Score
If he’s eligible, he should play 30 min a game this year. Freshman need time to develop, play him as much as possible. Same can be said for every freshman on the team. If this season is lost, limit DO and play the freshman bigs.
I like your dog. Very cool.

Reaction Score
It's December and we have lost to 0 bad teams. Season is so very far from lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc