Wichita St. to AAC Next Year (Officially Official) | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Wichita St. to AAC Next Year (Officially Official)

Reaction Score
The new Big East is not the old Big East, not even close. Killing football (which is not going to happen) and hitching our wagon to that train will surely doom us. Guess you just want to give up.

It's still a much better basketball conference than what we are in now which is what should matter, the basketball program should always be the only concern of the athletic department. The ability to play Butler Villanova Xavier, Crieghton, Marquette, plus renewing old time matchups with Providence, St. John's, GTown would help the RPI not to mention bring a buzz back to home conference games.

I don't think killing the football program is giving up, it's being pragmatic, the program is terrible the school should never have left I-AA. The fact that we chased football glory has hurt the basketball program by having us stuck in this conference.

Going back to the Big East would the smart move we chased football glory and it didn't work out better to fold the tent now than keep being awful(now) or mediocre(at best) and hurting the basketball program.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
It's still a much better basketball conference than what we are in now which is what should matter, the basketball program should always be the only concern of the athletic department. The ability to play Butler Villanova Xavier, Crieghton, Marquette, plus renewing old time matchups with Providence, St. John's, GTown would help the RPI not to mention bring a buzz back to home conference games.

I don't think killing the football program is giving up, it's being pragmatic, the program is terrible the school should never have left I-AA. The fact that we chased football glory has hurt the basketball program by having us stuck in this conference.

Going back to the Big East would the smart move we chased football glory and it didn't work out better to fold the tent now than keep being awful(now) or mediocre(at best) and hurting the basketball program.

Oh yeah, the Big East is going to be so much fun when the P5 breaks off and their postseason basketball tourney is the one that hauls in all of the ad revenue.

Who cares if we're competing with only A10 and MWC teams for the second-division championship? We get to relive the past and play Providence and Seton Hall every year!

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Are you serious? You act like Uconn runs the conference. Last time I looked we have never finished higher than 4th in the regular season. Please tell me why Uconn makes all the decisions? ....is it because that is what you want? As presently constituted, we are off a losing season, and have 5 open scholarships for next year, and a team with a roster that includes big's with 0 minutes experience, yeah, we are in the dictator's chair.
Dude, we are the reason that WSU is coming in. We do run the conference because we can destroy it by using the nuclear option of canning football and going NBE, and we are the most recognizable brand and the only state flagship.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
If UConn isn't available, the American never forms.

Don't bother me with anything about last year's record, blah, blah, blah.

If UConn isn't around, all of these monkeys are in Conference USA.
That would be fun but if only we got to go back to smacking Calipari around.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
That would be fun but if only we got to go back to smacking Calipari around.
Did you just admit you would go back to C-USA? There's Cincy for you.

Reaction Score
One more mouth to feed?

How is it that WE are all aware of the upward revenue C.F. when we see the P5 ... due to "change of circumstances" clause, but we fail to see that these moves are meaningful for the AAC

Aresco gets to negotiate another bite for the inclusion.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
They'll likely make up for it with NCAA tourney credits anyway...
More than, since they won't get a full share anyway. It's easily a positive in every rational way. The only possible negative is that it reminds UConn fans that they are in a conference they don't want to be in. That's it. That's all I hear from the detractors. Same crap they said about Tulsa and Tulane, both of which are solid universities by the way. Boo hoo. Deal with it. There's no magic fairy dust changing our reality.

Honestly, I don't want to be in a league with any school in the AAC. Not Cinci, not Temple, none of them. But we are. And as long as we are, I want this league to have the best basketball competition it can, so out program doesn't become a moribund disaster.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
More than, since they won't get a full share anyway. It's easily a positive in every rational way. The only possible negative is that it reminds UConn fans that they are in a conference they don't want to be in. That's it. That's all I hear from the detractors. Same crap they said about Tulsa and Tulane, both of which are solid universities by the way. Boo hoo. Deal with it. There's no magic fairy dust changing our reality.

Honestly, I don't want to be in a league with any school in the AAC. Not Cinci, not Temple, none of them. But we are. And as long as we are, I want this league to have the best basketball competition it can, so out program doesn't become a moribund disaster.
I get not wanting Tulane and ECU. ECU, a "football" school, has the same winning % in the sport as us since 2002, when we fully transitioned to 1-A and Tulane is...Tulane. I do truly believe that the Tulane add was a bribe AAU add for a vote if we ever want to get into the AAU and B1G in the future.

Reaction Score
We belong in a Power 5. As Joe Nocera said in the NYT, no University got screwed like UConn.

But fighting back ... we need to have the best Hoop we can get. This is a very nice next step for us & for the AAC. We need to find out enthusiasm for that Jersey. Looking down our nose cause its Kansas or the academics or the potential that Marshall leaves is just more curmudgeon behavior.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I get not wanting Tulane and ECU. ECU, a "football" school, has the same winning % in the sport as us since 2002, when we fully transitioned to 1-A and Tulane is...Tulane. I do truly believe that the Tulane add was a bribe AAU add for a vote if we ever want to get into the AAU and B1G in the future.

I get it. But I hear people say they don't want ECU or Memphis or WSU due to academics. Then they bitch about Tulane for athletics. Then they bitch about Tulsa, who's sports aren't bad, for being in the middle of nowhere that they don't want to travel to. But Tulane, no, they get no credit for location or academics.

Every school in the conference has flaws and warts. Either crappy location, weak market, poor academics or unimpressive sports in one sport or another. All of them. UConn and Cinci are the least flawed.

Reaction Score
Popcorn racoon.gif

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Wichita State basketball would hold position of strength in new conference

Call this the Doug McDermott theory of first impressions: Go in strong and they must respect you.

Wichita State is expected to accept an invitation to join the American Athletic Conference soon — a vote by AAC presidents is scheduled for Friday.

The timing is perfect for the Shockers and the American to make this addition for 2017-18. The Shockers could be a Final Four-contender and the conference needs that boost.

“The American Conference is fortunate to have Wichita State,” ESPN’s Seth Greenberg said. “It’s an elite, top-10 program with a world-class coach.”

Men’s basketball is the athletic motivation for the move and the Shockers will likely enter their new conference as the favorite. They are ranked in the top 10 nationally of seven top 25 rankings for 2017-18 this week by media outlets such as CBSSports.com, ESPN and Sports Illustrated. Cincinnati is ranked in all, no higher than No. 13. SMU, depending on the future of AAC Player of the Year Semi Ojeleye, is a possible preseason top 25 pick.

“For the AAC to bring in Wichita State, which doesn’t have football, it must mean they want them pretty badly,” said Eric Bossi, recruiting analyst for Rivals.com. “The roster they have could compete for the AAC title next year.”

It will be nice, from a Wichita State perspective, to go in like Creighton, not like Rutgers.

Vote is this morning at 10:30 ET

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
How did Jacobs get to his number of $6.8M per school?

If 1 TV unit is worth $264,859 and they have earned 64 units, that's a little less than $17M. How does that divide up to the $6.8M per school.

His TV unit number must be way low, no?

"Each game played in the tournament, except the national championship, is worth one unit from a pool set aside from the money the NCAA makes from the TV deal. One unit alone this year is worth $264,859. The ACC has earned 64 units the past three years and when split equally among the 15 schools each will be getting $6.8 million. Even BC, which stinks in basketball, is getting $6.8 million."

UConNation

I object!
Reaction Score
How did Jacobs get to his number of $6.8M per school?

If 1 TV unit is worth $264,859 and they have earned 64 units, that's a little less than $17M. How does that divide up to the $6.8M per school.

His TV unit number must be way low, no?

"Each game played in the tournament, except the national championship, is worth one unit from a pool set aside from the money the NCAA makes from the TV deal. One unit alone this year is worth $264,859. The ACC has earned 64 units the past three years and when split equally among the 15 schools each will be getting $6.8 million. Even BC, which stinks in basketball, is getting $6.8 million."
Good question. The $264,859 is paid each year for 6 years, so the total value of making the NCAA tourney is just under $1.6M. You can add another $1.6M per team and per win. In other words, if the AAC has 4 teams make the tournament, 2 teams lose their first game (1 credit per game x 2 teams = 2 credits), 1 team loses in the round of 32 (1 credit per game x 1 team = 2 credits), and 1 team loses in the elite 8 (1 credit per game x 1 team = 4 credits), that's a total of 8 credits. The conference get $2.12M per year for the next 6 years (plus whatever they had earned in previous tournaments).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom