Wichita St. to AAC Next Year (Officially Official) | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Wichita St. to AAC Next Year (Officially Official)

Reaction Score
Stop thinking like superjohn or WestHartfordHusky ...

Think like David Benedict or a real stakeholder

2014 was just here. National Championship and all. He's recruited decently. No - I mean Zero outlandish - incidents. And unlike you guys, fair observers would say losing Larrier &Gilbert was losing 2 of our best 3 players. I see the KO detractors as children. Go root for the UConn women. They rarely lose. Ollie had a really raw year. But, the immediate thing to do was take out the woodchipper and discard dead wood. Reboot. That's what is happening: a FRESH look at UConn hoop. With Killings & Chillious - and Im certain 50 other stakeholders. Including Jim Calhoun.

Maybe a slice of random fandom needs the woodchipper.

Reaction Score
UConn coach Kevin Ollie on adding Wichita State: "Wichita State is just a tremendous addition to our league. Coach Marshall's program is all about winning championships. Year in and year out, they are nationally ranked and earn a spot in the NCAA Tournament. I know next season, they are already being projected as a top 10 team. In men's basketball, the American Conference just went up a level."

Would love to hear some quotes from Ollie about our team one of these days.

Reaction Score
UConn coach Kevin Ollie on adding Wichita State: "Wichita State is just a tremendous addition to our league. Coach Marshall's program is all about winning championships. Year in and year out, they are nationally ranked and earn a spot in the NCAA Tournament. I know next season, they are already being projected as a top 10 team. In men's basketball, the American Conference just went up a level."

Would love to hear some quotes from Ollie about our team one of these days.
Ollie Speaks

Reaction Score
Stop thinking like superjohn or WestHartfordHusky ...

Think like David Benedict or a real stakeholder

2014 was just here. National Championship and all. He's recruited decently. No - I mean Zero outlandish - incidents. And unlike you guys, fair observers would say losing Larrier &Gilbert was losing 2 of our best 3 players. I see the KO detractors as children. Go root for the UConn women. They rarely lose. Ollie had a really raw year. But, the immediate thing to do was take out the woodchipper and discard dead wood. Reboot. That's what is happening: a FRESH look at UConn hoop. With Killings & Chillious - and Im certain 50 other stakeholders. Including Jim Calhoun.

Maybe a slice of random fandom needs the woodchipper.

maybe load up the trebuchet

Reaction Score
I checked one of the reddit threads about the WSU addition and when projecting for the league going forward, people across the board had UConn lumped in with the likes of Temple and Memphis as programs that can "hopefully get it together". National perception of our program isn't where it should be unfortunately.

Reaction Score
I checked one of the reddit threads about the WSU addition and when projecting for the league going forward, people across the board had UConn lumped in with the likes of Temple and Memphis as programs that can "hopefully get it together". National perception of our program isn't where it should be unfortunately.
I know it's friggin depressing. And that's coming from a group completely enamored with our conference, and the schools in it, yet the perception of our school is quite low with statements like hopefully they'll be competitive again, etc. Let's just pray next year is a major turn around. We can't sustain another underperforming year.

Reaction Score
They aren't wrong though... We do need to get it together. We should be running train on this conference. No excuses.

Reaction Score
I know it's friggin depressing. And that's coming from a group completely enamored with our conference, and the schools in it, yet the perception of our school is quite low with statements like hopefully they'll be competitive again, etc. Let's just pray next year is a major turn around. We can't sustain another underperforming year.

Mostly it's disheartening to know that we apparently have no leash in terms of still being highly respected even after a down year.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The truth of the matter is that if UConn and Memphis had played to their reputations over the past three seasons, the American probably doesn't invite Wichita.

We've been our own worst enemy, although the relegation to the American did not help.

We lost Calhoun and our conference in rapid succession. If you move Tulsa or SMU or UCF up to the American, their programs will get better. If you move a program like ours down, it makes it worse. The demotion carries a stigma - no way around that.

Ollie is a new coach and asking a new coach to take over a program like UConn wasn't fair. He hasn't done a particularly good job of managing the program nor is he terribly impressive on the bench. He needs to get better at both very quickly.

But we need to remember that he had a top-25 team coming into the season and despite the two awful losses to start the year, he never really had a chance to get better. (I think Gilbert's loss was a fatal wound.)

And then bad luck visited. We had a recruit with a dance mom of a father and we lost a recruit because he watched last season and inexplicably decided he could not get immediate playing time.

Ollie's just added a great recruiter. They need to salvage 2017 and score in 2018.

I don't think next season is going to be an easy one and I'm afraid we've squandered whatever run we could have made with Jalen Adams. But if they show some progress, get better players, we'll start moving back to where we were, even if we have to do it in this squalid armpit of a conference.

If we don't, someone call Shaka.

Reaction Score
The truth of the matter is that if UConn and Memphis had played to their reputations over the past three seasons, the American probably doesn't invite Wichita.

We've been our own worst enemy, although the relegation to the American did not help.

We lost Calhoun and our conference in rapid succession. If you move Tulsa or SMU or UCF up to the American, their programs will get better. If you move a program like ours down, it makes it worse. The demotion carries a stigma - no way around that.

Ollie is a new coach and asking a new coach to take over a program like UConn wasn't fair. He hasn't done a particularly good job of managing the program nor is he terribly impressive on the bench. He needs to get better at both very quickly.

But we need to remember that he had a top-25 team coming into the season and despite the two awful losses to start the year, he never really had a chance to get better. (I think Gilbert's loss was a fatal wound.)

And then bad luck visited. We had a recruit with a dance mom of a father and we lost a recruit because he watched last season and inexplicably decided he could not get immediate playing time.

Ollie's just added a great recruiter. They need to salvage 2017 and score in 2018.

I don't think next season is going to be an easy one and I'm afraid we've squandered whatever run we could have made with Jalen Adams. But if they show some progress, get better players, we'll start moving back to where we were, even if we have to do it in this squalid armpit of a conference.

This is by far the most depressing part to me.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Spot on @Fishy

Just be prepared for @Stairmaster to ask what section your seats were in at the field house in 1960 vs URI and @fleudslipcon to perform a quack evaluation of your psyche for choosing not to ignore the negative realities of our situation.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Spot on @Fishy

Just be prepared for @Stairmaster to ask what section your seats were in at the field house in 1960 vs URI and @fleudslipcon to perform a quack evaluation of your psyche for choosing not to ignore the negative realities of our situation.
Actually what he wrote is not in accordance with anything you've been writing although I'm sure you took one line and ran with it. With regards to that one line I agree with Fishy. KO's mannerisms on the bench have a lot to be desired. The other part I'd have to get clarification. Otherwise I totally agree with his analysis

Analyze Fishy? Fishy is like bow ties and bow ties are cool.

I wish I could say the same for you. Poor effort trying to get a strong ally to help you with your dirty work. Demonstrates weakness. Not cool.

Reaction Score
Our habit of getting our butts handed to us in away games in the American is getting old. At Tulsa, at Houston, at Cinci or SMU just put it in the loss column.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Actually what he wrote is not in accordance with anything you've been writing although I'm sure you took one line and ran with it. With regards to that one line I agree with Fishy. KO's mannerisms on the bench have a lot to be desired. The other part I'd have to get clarification. Otherwise I totally agree with his analysis

Analyze Fishy? Fishy is like bow ties and bow ties are cool.

I wish I could say the same for you. Poor effort trying to get a strong ally to help you with your dirty work. Demonstrates weakness. Not cool.

If you want to find one quote where I said KO should be fired right now, or that I expect a top 25 season next year, or that the injuries weren't a factor in this past season, be my guest.

I don't even know where you make this stuff up like a attempting to gain strong ally to do my dirty work and that it demonstrates weakness? Get over yourself man.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
If you want to find one quote where I said KO should be fired right now, or that I expect a top 25 season next year, or that the injuries weren't a factor in this past season, be my guest.

I don't even know where you make this stuff up like a attempting to gain strong ally to do my dirty work and that it demonstrates weakness? Get over yourself man.
LOL dude. I offer contributions as I see fit. Just like you and everyone else who brings an opinion to this forum.

Since I only take myself half seriously I'll work on the other half if and when I see people such as yourself making an effort to do the same.

C

chiller99.5

Some redneck from Eastern Carolina got his double wide in disorder with about a 20 page rant at the aac message board about UCONN trashing WSU joining the league.I think most fans welcome the competition and generally mock the disdain of the various podunk school with their empty trophy cases...

Reaction Score
This is the worst part. We have Jalen Adams, a guy who certainly seems to be in the range of Kemba, Bazz, and Boat. Larrier seems to be our best shot at having a 90s to mid 00s wing we were accustomed to having, but beyond that we have Vital, and that's it. The season is 7 months away and I can already count 12 losses. Swept by Wichita, Cincy, and SMU. @Arizona, @Auburn, Villanova, and the 3 PK80 games. Still too early to tell who will be worse between UConn and Cuse. And this doesn't account for the handful of Kevin Ollie's patented "how the hell did we lose to them" games we've grown accustomed to against inferior teams in this league.

For the 2018 Huskies, it seems both the ceiling and the roof is sneaking into the NIT. Additionally, if we don't have a big man who at least seems like he has touched a basketball before the age of 16 committed by the end of next season, probably best to move on from Ollie.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

If he's still coach at Texas, why would Shaka come here? Yeah, it's a football school, but it's a large, well heeled P5 state school, in a great town, in a fertile recruiting ground, with great weather and all the resources you need to be successful.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
If he's still coach at Texas, why would Shaka come here? Yeah, it's a football school, but it's a large, well heeled P5 state school, in a great town, in a fertile recruiting ground, with great weather and all the resources you need to be successful.
why do people still want shaka? he just went 11-22. people say ollie isn't the best at offense but watching shakas offense it's terrible, even at vcu. At what point does he stop getting passes at Texas? Does he have to make an elite 8 or sweet 16 next year? He can recruit but I don't think he's a good developer or or x's and o's coach

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
why do people still want shaka? he just went 11-22. people say ollie isn't the best at offense but watching shakas offense it's terrible, even at vcu. At what point does he stop getting passes at Texas? Does he have to make an elite 8 or sweet 16 next year? He can recruit but I don't think he's a good developer or or x's and o's coach

All true, which leads me to conclude that there is one scenario where he would jump: if he thinks his days are limited at UT, he could sign on for another 5 at UCONN and buy himself some security. The Steve Alford option we discussed a couple weeks ago with UCLA/Indiana.

But as you say, he's not a better option than Ollie at this point.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Some redneck from Eastern Carolina got his double wide in disorder with about a 20 page rant at the aac message board about UConn trashing WSU joining the league.I think most fans welcome the competition and generally mock the disdain of the various podunk school with their empty trophy cases...

There is literally no reason for a UConn f an to read the csnbbs board any longer. Let the inferiority complex over there alone.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom