Why cant this program act normal | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Why cant this program act normal

Reaction Score
When the season ends fire everyone. Find every penny you can dig up and make the best hire you can make.

They might not win either but until they get someone(s) who can recruit this ain’t gonna change.

If they are afraid of the transfer portal they are already d.o.a this season. The more they preach brotherhood and family the more it sounds like they are trying to convince themselves.
If you think a different coach can recruit better you’re kidding yourself. I don’t think players are staying away from Edsall- heck he’s he coach that’s publicly advocating for players to get paid.

No matter who is here coaching the positives and negatives about the place will still exist. And players will have to consider the same things when making a decision. Edsall knows the game, has NFL ties and has gotten players to the league. I don’t think players are staying away because of that.

What I do know is inviting players to a game and seeing the half empty stands- that plays a HUGE role in this.

Tell me that a new coach will suddenly get people to come to games before he wins a game then I’ll gladly consider this narrative

Our game day optics are a huge buzz kill for recruits. Simple as that

Reaction Score
it’s like Edsall took his Maryland experience and took away the opposite of what he should have learned.

no cell phones in the dining hall. galaxy brain stuff.

I would think most other programs and their fans deal with similar stuff where they can question the sanity of a coach. But we’re not following their stories so it might seem like UConn is in a vacuum.

Bottom line is we’re losing and the fan base is jaded. It’s as simple as that.
Win some games and most of this stuff becomes a non issue.

PJ Fleck does some hoakie things but they’re on a slight uptick- so he’s a renaissance coach. If he’d gone 1-11 people would ask him to row the boat out of Minneapolis.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If you think a different coach can recruit better you’re kidding yourself. I don’t think players are staying away from Edsall- heck he’s he coach that’s publicly advocating for players to get paid.

No matter who is here coaching the positives and negatives about the place will still exist. And players will have to consider the same things when making a decision. Edsall knows the game, has NFL ties and has gotten players to the league. I don’t think players are staying away because of that.

What I do know is inviting players to a game and seeing the half empty stands- that plays a HUGE role in this.

Tell me that a new coach will suddenly get people to come to games before he wins a game then I’ll gladly consider this narrative

Our game day optics are a huge buzz kill for recruits. Simple as that

I’m sorry you don’t think there is a coach that can recruit to UConn better than Randy Edsall?

That might be the worst thing anyone has ever said about the program. I can’t believe a fan has sunk that low.

If this were true the school would be better off shuttering the program because it’s just throwing money into a black hole.

They can’t hire someone who can outrecruit Edsall? That’s the most hopeless outlook you can have.

Reaction Score
I’m sorry you don’t think there is a coach that can recruit to UConn better than Randy Edsall?

That might be the worst thing anyone has ever said about the program. I can’t believe a fan has sunk that low.

If this were true the school would be better off shuttering the program because it’s just throwing money into a black hole.

They can’t hire someone who can outrecruit Edsall? That’s the most hopeless outlook you can have.
No, the most hopeless outlook we have is that your incessant negativity will not cease.

Reaction Score

Recruit better using what???? I love all the superlatives but bottom line is it’s UConn that’s not in the power five. No matter what Coach is here he would still have to overcome that huge obstacle. The kids you think that need to come here which could turn the program around are into glitz and glamor and power five status- none of which UConn possess.

Seems simple to me- but then again what do I know?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
No, the most hopeless outlook we have is that your incessant negativity will not cease.

lol im one of the last handful of people that has a clue and still cares.

you roll with team we cant do any better than randy edsall.

what a sad excuse for a fanbase - we can’t do better than what we’ve seen out of this mess for a decade

Reaction Score
lol im one of the last handful of people that has a clue and still cares.

you roll with team we cant do any better than randy edsall.

what a sad excuse for a fanbase - we can’t do better than what we’ve seen out of this mess for a decade
Sure. We can get a coach that is perceived to be higher profile and pegged as a better recruiter. But tell me guy, what is he selling? An apathetic fan base? Half empty stadium? He will still have the same schedule to pitch- just like Randy

So please tell me what would he be selling to these recruits???

Reaction Score
Sure. We can get a coach that is perceived to be higher profile and pegged as a better recruiter. But tell me guy, what is he selling? An apathetic fan base? Half empty stadium? He will still have the same schedule to pitch- just like Randy

We are beating out FCS schools for way too many kids. Is it reasonable to ask that we beat out other schools at our level?

How many offers did Kevon have?

Reaction Score
We know most of the starters already..

QB- Beaudry
RB - Mensah
WR - Brown (everybody else)
OL - Van Demark, DeGeorge, Leone, Haynes & Peart
DL - Jones, Jones, Thomas, Uguak (Harris, Pace, DeVaughn, Watts)
LB - Morgan, Gilmartin, Fortt
DB - Herring-Wilson, Harrell, Coyle, Paul
P - Magliozzi
K - Sean Young (kickoffs & 40 yards or out)
Noah Iden (PAT)
Clayton Harris (PAT & 40 yards and in)

Reaction Score
We are beating out FCS schools for way too many kids. Is it reasonable to ask that we beat out other schools at our level?

How many offers did Kevon have?
Any school that’s on our level, like say Rutgers, will always have the schedule advantage over us.

It’s not that hard to see the challenges
I’m sure we all see it but some just rather whine about it.

I’m all about just going out and play the games. Play the hand dealt as a fan and rock with it- you know...Big Boy attitude.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

we got it - you think the school and program arent worthy of recruiting fbs players.

from that standpoint what goes on here makes a lot of sense

Reaction Score
we got it - you think the school and program arent worthy of recruiting fbs players.

from that standpoint what goes on here makes a lot of sense
Is this a straw man? Wow. Never thought you would stoop to the level you despise so much.
Lol. You’re comical my friend.

Reaction Score
Pace, Ugwak, TJ, Caleb Thomas, all saw considerable time last year. D Harris and K Jones, didn't play there but by accounts are going to be playing there and counted upon. This doesn't even count Devaughn Pierce. On the Dline there is if not proven, experienced depth. Unless someone establishes themselves as a guy you have to have in all the time you might as well keep them fresh.

:rolleyes:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Is this a straw man? Wow. Never thought you would stoop to the level you despise so much.
Lol. You’re comical my friend.

you just posted multiple times how there isnt anything for a coach to sell.

what do you want from me - I think they should outrecruit the mac

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Phew - another thread of ravenous disdain. Can’t wait for Thursday! I’ll be the guy in the strands reading the Boneyard for the ultra hot takes. God this is going to be great.

It’s like there will be two sporting events going on; the actual game and the those on the yard declaring victory.

I don’t love Edsall’s approach here - but it doesn’t drive me bananas. I want to see how the first month plays out. I don’t think we have a roster of malcontents, just a couple guys they don’t want running away because they are the third “or” on opening night.

Reaction Score
Any school that’s on our level, like say Rutgers, will always have the schedule advantage over us.

It’s not that hard to see the challenges
I’m sure we all see it but some just rather whine about it.

I’m all about just going out and play the games. Play the hand dealt as a fan and rock with it- you know...Big Boy attitude.

JFC Rutgers is in the B1G I’m not expecting to beat them consistently for players. Can we beat out some other northeastern FBS schools and MAC teams instead of Assumption and Seton Hill? You’re all about the games. Great. You know what helps us win games? GETTING MORE KIDS THAT OTHER SCHOOLS AT OUR LEVEL WANT.

For the most part we are recruiting against FCS schools and then people act surprised when we need miracles to beat Maine, Holy Cross, and URI.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Phew - another thread of ravenous disdain. Can’t wait for Thursday! I’ll be the guy in the strands reading the Boneyard for the ultra hot takes. God this is going to be great.

It’s like there will be two sporting events going on; the actual game and the those on the yard declaring victory.

I don’t love Edsall’s approach here - but it doesn’t drive me bananas. I want to see how the first month plays out. I don’t think we have a roster of malcontents, just a couple guys they don’t want running away because they are the third “or” on opening night.

You’ll probably need to wait until Illinois. They should be able to push Wagner around and score points on the ground beyond that without too much trouble. Lord knows they aren’t going to try and do anything beyond if it’s working.

If the defense gets lit up that would be an issue. The total sitting at 70 sure makes it look like the money belives Wagner will score some.

Line implies 44-27 or so.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
You’ll probably need to wait until Illinois. They should be able to push Wagner around and score points on the ground beyond that without too much trouble. Lord knows they aren’t going to try and do anything beyond if it’s working.

If the defense gets lit up that would be an issue. The total sitting at 70 sure makes it look like the money belives Wagner will score some.

Line implies 44-27 or so.

Yes, agreed - Wagner is chapter 1. The Illinois game will have more meaning to the discussion. I’ll take 44-27, but 44-10 would be much better.

In any event, the board needs gametime now.

Reaction Score
you just posted multiple times how there isnt anything for a coach to sell.

what do you want from me - I think they should outrecruit the mac
Yup. Continue dressing up that straw man. I think he’d like a matching hat with that outfit.

I simply said the HC of your choice will have the same tools in the shed to sell. Do we have a stadium? Yes. Is it half empty? Yes. No bueno for recruiting. Do we have a schedule? Yes. Do we have power five teams all over it? Nope. Challenging to sell recruits on.

My point is it’s not easy recruiting to a place like UConn no matter who you are. It all starts with optics. What the recruits see must be shiny. When you invite them to a game there better be a lot of butts in those seats because they’re envisioning playing there. We have tremendous facilities which is a plus but that only goes but so far.

I remember also saying that Randy knows the game and has NFL ties- which is a plus.

And as for recruiting against the MAC- I’m guessing here but that’s a regional challenge for us. A lot of those kids are from an area that is quite frankly more talent rich than ours. So local kids who have talent but not quite Ohio State talent can choose to go to a MAC school where they’re closer to home and their parents can see them play.

I would like to think that our players can compete with the MAC and we got them from places I didn’t think Randy could pull a kid from- unfortunately the players we have everyone believes are FCS caliber.
I still remain steadfast in my belief that we have players with great potential that are going to be developed properly and when we finally have a bunch of red shirt seniors going out there to compete, we’ll be in a far better place.

You keep judging these guys in year 2 of the rebuild. When our roster has a bunch of red shirt seniors on it (like lots of other successful programs out there) and if we’re still getting shelled then I agree coach has to go. Until then I’m smarter than prematurely judging these kids. A rebuild is frustrating- I know.
But when a program is as depleted talent wise as ours was, the turnaround can’t be microwaved.

Reaction Score
JFC Rutgers is in the B1G I’m not expecting to beat them consistently for players. Can we beat out some other northeastern FBS schools and MAC teams instead of Assumption and Seton Hill? You’re all about the games. Great. You know what helps us win games? GETTING MORE KIDS THAT OTHER SCHOOLS AT OUR LEVEL WANT.

For the most part we are recruiting against FCS schools and then people act surprised when we need miracles to beat Maine, Holy Cross, and URI.
YOU DON’T NEED TO SHOUT!!

Give me the schools that we’re losing to recruiting wise and then give me their record. Just want to see how successful these teams are that are getting the players we so desperately covet.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yup. Continue dressing up that straw man. I think he’d like a matching hat with that outfit.

I simply said the HC of your choice will have the same tools in the shed to sell. Do we have a stadium? Yes. Is it half empty? Yes. No bueno for recruiting. Do we have a schedule? Yes. Do we have power five teams all over it? Nope. Challenging to sell recruits on.

My point is it’s not easy recruiting to a place like UConn no matter who you are. It all starts with optics. What the recruits see must be shiny. When you invite them to a game there better be a lot of butts in those seats because they’re envisioning playing there. We have tremendous facilities which is a plus but that only goes but so far.

I remember also saying that Randy knows the game and has NFL ties- which is a plus.

And as for recruiting against the MAC- I’m guessing here but that’s a regional challenge for us. A lot of those kids are from an area that is quite frankly more talent rich than ours. So local kids who have talent but not quite Ohio State talent can choose to go to a MAC school where they’re closer to home and their parents can see them play.

I would like to think that our players can compete with the MAC and we got them from places I didn’t think Randy could pull a kid from- unfortunately the players we have everyone believes are FCS caliber.
I still remain steadfast in my belief that we have players with great potential that are going to be developed properly and when we finally have a bunch of red shirt seniors going out there to compete, we’ll be in a far better place.

You keep judging these guys in year 2 of the rebuild. When our roster has a bunch of red shirt seniors on it (like lots of other successful programs out there) and if we’re still getting shelled then I agree coach has to go. Until then I’m smarter than prematurely judging these kids. A rebuild is frustrating- I know.
But when a program is as depleted talent wise as ours was, the turnaround can’t be microwaved.

@jimmyserrano we were wrong he is related to edsall. The fourth time he has blamed the fans in one thread for the optics that have led to a decade of disaster.

also let’s look out at year 7 when we will be super awesome - that timeline is probably aggressive in edsall’s mind though. it’s only 5 more years til this class is red shirt seniors - then let’s take a look at the results.

palatine is 100% about one thing. edsall doesnt try to win and people supporting that is kinda sad

lost a qb recruit to dartmouth today - what chance could any other coaches have - can’t win don’t try

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom