Why cant this program act normal | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Why cant this program act normal

Reaction Score
Are there still Edsall believers/defenders here? The guy is an absolute joke.

Reaction Score
@jimmyserrano we were wrong he is related to edsall. The fourth time he has blamed the fans in one thread for the optics that have led to a decade of disaster.

also let’s look out at year 7 when we will be super awesome - that timeline is probably aggressive in edsall’s mind though. it’s only 5 more years til this class is red shirt seniors - then let’s take a look at the results.

palatine is 100% about one thing. edsall doesnt try to win and people supporting that is kinda sad

lost a qb recruit to dartmouth today - what chance could any other coaches have - can’t win don’t try
Never blamed the fans- I’ve always maintained that fans are part of a rebuild. Just noting that fans clamor for better recruits but when said recruits come on visits and to games they don’t participate in helping to create an enticing atmosphere for them to consider committing to. Then when we lose the recruit we complain about that.

Just a vicious cycle that is hatched from losing.
I’m an optimist at heart and I love the grind and challenge that sport presents.
So looking forward to Thursday and beyond to see how these changes have influenced the program

Reaction Score
Ivy League schools are getting 3 star recruits now, losing out even to SEC and ACC schools. This kid chose Dartmouth over Vanderbilt and UK.

Yale might be outcruiting us!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That’s the same stupidity people spewed abut Diaco when they had the same root problem- fcs recruiting
That's a brilliant retort except for the fact that Edsall isn't beating the bushes for FCS talent. So you can bring on your next complaint or simply wait to see how the new approach factors into the game results. That might be a more prudent evaluative tool.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
@jimmyserrano we were wrong he is related to edsall. The fourth time he has blamed the fans in one thread for the optics that have led to a decade of disaster.

also let’s look out at year 7 when we will be super awesome - that timeline is probably aggressive in edsall’s mind though. it’s only 5 more years til this class is red shirt seniors - then let’s take a look at the results.

palatine is 100% about one thing. edsall doesnt try to win and people supporting that is kinda sad

lost a qb recruit to dartmouth today - what chance could any other coaches have - can’t win don’t try
Stop ruining the board.

Reaction Score
YOU DON’T NEED TO SHOUT!!

Give me the schools that we’re losing to recruiting wise and then give me their record. Just want to see how successful these teams are that are getting the players we so desperately covet.

We were 130 out of 130 last year with another 40-50 FCS teams better than us last year. Whatever schools you’re talking about, their record was better than ours.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That's a brilliant retort except for the fact that Edsall isn't beating the bushes for FCS talent. So you can bring on your next complaint or simply wait to see how the new approach factors into the game results. That might be a more prudent evaluative tool.

True Edsall has leaned more on D-2 transfers than Diaco did. But yeah you should check out who they beat in recruiting hoss. It ain’t any prettier than Sponge Bob Red Pants.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Wasn't Buffalo ranked in the top 25 last year? Didn't Temple win the American conference not too long ago?

Would we finish in with more than 1-2 league wins in the MAC?

The bar some of you have set is so low. Literally nobody is expecting to beat out Rutgers, Pitt, BC, etc. for every recruit, but the sights should be set higher than FCS, Canada, and DII.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Not getting into it because I do think this is quite a dumb move on Randy’s part, but hard to see how “the administrators running this program are dumber than the dumbest pile of rocks in the rock factory” and “we can feasibly get a much better coach” can be squared together.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I got super pissed watching games last year at Randy, especially the UMass game. I’m back on board because he managed to bring in King, Spanos and Perkins.

Randy does need to win three games this year and be in it to the end on 5 more (last possession type games). No more than two blowouts.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I got super pissed watching games last year at Randy, especially the UMass game. I’m back on board because he managed to bring in King, Spanos and Perkins.

Randy does need to win three games this year and be in it to the end on 5 more (last possession type games). No more than two blowouts.

Or what? That's my question. What do you propose if he does not win 3 games and more than 2 are blow outs?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
JFC Rutgers is in the B1G I’m not expecting to beat them consistently for players. Can we beat out some other northeastern FBS schools and MAC teams instead of Assumption and Seton Hill? You’re all about the games. Great. You know what helps us win games? GETTING MORE KIDS THAT OTHER SCHOOLS AT OUR LEVEL WANT.

For the most part we are recruiting against FCS schools and then people act surprised when we need miracles to beat Maine, Holy Cross, and URI.
You are sadly spot on. Our barometer of a “good get” is beating out any other FBS team.

This kid had a Kent State offer! Uptick!

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Or what? That's my question. What do you propose if he does not win 3 games and more than 2 are blow outs?

Idk - still depends on other circumstances. I don’t think Randy has a leash to go 1-11 again.

Reaction Score
Never blamed the fans- I’ve always maintained that fans are part of a rebuild. Just noting that fans clamor for better recruits but when said recruits come on visits and to games they don’t participate in helping to create an enticing atmosphere for them to consider committing to. Then when we lose the recruit we complain about that.

Your blaming the customer? You recruit to improve your product so your customers, the fans, have a reason to show up. When your customers show up and the product sucks they stop buying. Try recruiting harder and winning more. You'd be surprised how many former customers(fans) want to buy in if only they were given a reason to buy in. Winning solves all the woes of the UConn football program. Look at Alabama. They win. Everyone wants to see them. Their program lacks for nothing. Especially paying customers(fans).

You can hire Saban, Carroll, Belichick, the reincarnated Vince Lombardi, Tom Landry or "Bear" Bryant but it's the one that can win at UConn that will put fannies in the seats and solve all problems UConn.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This idea that we can’t recruit because our stadium is half empty, we’re a basketball school, the stadium isn’t on campus and so on is BS.

True story, not one word of exaggeration. I am a Florida resident. My son is a lifelong Gator fan. He loves the Gators. We’ve been to a ton of football games there, big games. He is also a college basketball player and is very much in touch with pop culture, fashion and everything else considered cool by 18 year olds. We went to the Rent for two games last year. He hadn’t attended other years due to sports commitments in Florida. I told him this won’t be what he’s used to: “The team isn’t good and the stadium is a lot smaller. Just enjoy the tailgate and eat whatever you want in the stadium”. I was anxious about how he’d perceive my beloved UConn. We got to the Rent and there was lots of tailgating. We tossed the football, had some food and drink and befriended our neighbors. He said, “This is cool, what were you talking about?”. We had a blast. We went inside. He got some food, sat down and he said, “This is a nice stadium”. I said, “I just wish you could see it the way it used to be”. He said, “They’ll get better, it’s UConn. It’s not like they’ll never be good again.”

I watched as we got buried. He ate and ate, bought a hoodie, enjoyed the fall weather and when we left he said, “That was fun. I wish I was good enough to play there.” He didn’t see what we see. He saw a school that needed better players. He saw a team that needed to get better so the stadium would fill back up. He saw a national powerhouse brand playing bad football and all he wanted was to get on the field and be part of making it better. He wanted a hoodie. Most of all, he was looking forward to coming back. You don’t know this kid, he wasn’t humoring me. He liked it. He thought it was big time and he had fun.

I told him a good coach should be able to recruit there. The name is so much bigger than other AAC schools and half the P5 schools. He wholeheartedly agreed. He’s had 3-4 friends go to D1 schools that would have committed to UConn if offered. They never got a sniff, even with my emailing the staff repeatedly. Someone can recruit to UConn. It may be Randy, it may not, but this is not mission impossible.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Your blaming the customer? You recruit to improve your product so your customers, the fans, have a reason to show up. When your customers show up and the product sucks they stop buying. Try recruiting harder and winning more. You'd be surprised how many former customers(fans) want to buy in if only they were given a reason to buy in. Winning solves all the woes of the UConn football program. Look at Alabama. They win. Everyone wants to see them. Their program lacks for nothing. Especially paying customers(fans).

You can hire Saban, Carroll, Belichick, the reincarnated Vince Lombardi, Tom Landry or "Bear" Bryant but it's the one that can win at UConn that will put fannies in the seats and solve all problems UConn.
Hence why I said it becomes a vicious cycle.
I get why the fans aren’t coming but you can’t expect recruits to want to be at a school and play in a half empty stadium. Who can solve that? The fans. But you say we need to win in order to get the fans back- but you can’t win unless you have better recruits and you can’t entice recruits with a dead atmosphere at the Rent- and on and on and on.

Someone needs to man up and break the cycle if you really want a winner. To me, it starts with the fans. It’s a sacrifice for sure but it needs to be done.

And I’m also a believer that fan support aids in winning. Gotta make the environment tough on the opponent.

Reaction Score
He’s had 3-4 friends go to D1 schools that would have committed to UConn if offered. They never got a sniff, even with my emailing the staff repeatedly.

You brought this up before... did any of their head coaches/position coaches reach out directly to UConn coaches or was it only your emails?

Reaction Score
Some of them had personal coaches/trainers that reached out, but they were pretty generic, as they reached out elsewhere with the same message. I included links to recruiting site profiles with video etc. and explained who I was, my connection to UConn and I made it real easy to get ahold of the kid.

I really don’t care that they ignored me. I don’t find that surprising at all. They don’t know me. I just think people should realize that as a college athlete, UConn means something. I’d rather meet some third cousin at Thanksgiving and tell her I play football at UConn and have her say, “Oh, we love their ladies basketball team” than say I play at East Carolina and have them completely disengage from the conversation. It is a national brand with nice facilities and very strong academics. Someone can recruit well enough to win 70% or more of the football games there.

Reaction Score
This idea that we can’t recruit because our stadium is half empty, we’re a basketball school, the stadium isn’t on campus and so on is BS.

True story, not one word of exaggeration. I am a Florida resident. My son is a lifelong Gator fan. He loves the Gators. We’ve been to a ton of football games there, big games. He is also a college basketball player and is very much in touch with pop culture, fashion and everything else considered cool by 18 year olds. We went to the Rent for two games last year. He hadn’t attended other years due to sports commitments in Florida. I told him this won’t be what he’s used to: “The team isn’t good and the stadium is a lot smaller. Just enjoy the tailgate and eat whatever you want in the stadium”. I was anxious about how he’d perceive my beloved UConn. We got to the Rent and there was lots of tailgating. We tossed the football, had some food and drink and befriended our neighbors. He said, “This is cool, what were you talking about?”. We had a blast. We went inside. He got some food, sat down and he said, “This is a nice stadium”. I said, “I just wish you could see it the way it used to be”. He said, “They’ll get better, it’s UConn. It’s not like they’ll never be good again.”

I watched as we got buried. He ate and ate, bought a hoodie, enjoyed the fall weather and when we left he said, “That was fun. I wish I was good enough to play there.” He didn’t see what we see. He saw a school that needed better players. He saw a team that needed to get better so the stadium would fill back up. He saw a national powerhouse brand playing bad football and all he wanted was to get on the field and be part of making it better. He wanted a hoodie. Most of all, he was looking forward to coming back. You don’t know this kid, he wasn’t humoring me. He liked it. He thought it was big time and he had fun.

I told him a good coach should be able to recruit there. The name is so much bigger than other AAC schools and half the P5 schools. He wholeheartedly agreed. He’s had 3-4 friends go to D1 schools that would have committed to UConn if offered. They never got a sniff, even with my emailing the staff repeatedly. Someone can recruit to UConn. It may be Randy, it may not, but this is not mission impossible.
Kids that are getting recruited by power five schools after comparing stadium atmosphere’s- one is more enticing than the other.
It matters.
Wonder why LSU invited their recruits to come to the Alabama game or Tennessee brings their recruits on Florida day.
The environment matters

Reaction Score
Kids that are getting recruited by power five schools after comparing stadium atmosphere’s- one is more enticing than the other.
It matters.
Wonder why LSU invited their recruits to come to the Alabama game or Tennessee brings their recruits on Florida day.
The environment matters

We don’t need to win a bunch of battles with P5 schools. If we could recruit with the top 30% of G5 schools we’d be fine.

Also, 1 win P5 teams don’t have lively stadiums either. FSU’s stadium looked like UConn last season. People hate losing all the time and they’d rather be elsewhere.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It matters.
The environment matters

Right but no one is saying we should be out-recruiting those schools. Most of the g5 schools aren't consistently playing in front of great atmospheres. Yes, if despite our struggles we were selling out games and having loud atmospheres like we used to, that would help recruiting. That's not realistic though and doesn't happen anywhere with this level of futility.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
@Hoophound do you mind me asking what program or league the kids you referred to the staff ended up committing? Not an attempt to discredit the story or to pry for information. Just genuinely curious.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom