Who's your list for next HC? | Page 28 | The Boneyard

Who's your list for next HC?

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
Ehhh....how long until the novelty wears off? I think it's entertaining and a novel concept, but what happens when opposing teams try the same tricks? And will our level of play improve automatically because we go for it on 4th down all the time, or will it just be four-and-outs instead of our current three-and-outs? Crazy schemes, stories about scorpions and frogs, fish cakes, red pants...we've already tried novelty. It sure beats boring, but does it equal wins?

Reaction Score
I’m not as confident as some that Benedict’s interview list will have strong names in it, especially if we finish 0-12 or 1-11 and are non-competitive in a lot of games.
Because of that, I’d like to see him at least grant an interview to Jeff Devanney.
Yea the NESCAC won’t excite some people here but the guy has been a dominant head coach for 15 years at Trinity, is still fairly young, and is a lifelong CT guy who won’t be looking for a the first train out of here if he succeeds in turning this thing around after a few years.
Also has experience working with Guys who turned out to be future NFL head coaches when he was down working briefly at Georgia Tech.
I have nothing against going the coordinator route, but as others have said, there is something about being the CEO of a program and being great at it for a long stretch.
Again, all I’m saying is that DB should at least interview the guy, what do you have to lose?

Reaction Score
The Boneyard: Hire Kelley
The Boneyard: Saw his picture, he has gray hair, umm NO
I would love to see someone like Coach Kelley at Uconn. We be talk of the town, and be on highlight films regularly. He can win big here. He is also old enough that he might stay here long term.

His philosophy is same as mine even I used to play NCAA football on the PS3 :)

Reaction Score
Care to try again?

View attachment 69762

This is a list of the 25 highest paid MBB coaches in 2020, plus Hurley (I removed Wright and Cooley as their schools don't play FBS).

As you can see, only Georgia and Oklahoma paid more than 2x the MBB coach's salary. Most pay about 25% more.

Of the top 10 highest paid FB coaches, Alabama, LSU, Clemson, Michigan and Florida are not represented here (Texas A&M, Georgia, Auburn, Oklahoma and TCU are in the chart), so let's look at those five football powers:

Saban: $9.1 / Oats $3.225 = 282%
Orgeron: $8.688 / Wade: $2.5 = 347% (interestingly, Kim Mulkey will make at least $3 million this year)
Swinney: $8.258 / Brownell: $2.5 = 330%
Harbaugh: $8.054 = Howard: $2.2 = 366%
Mullen: $6.070 / White: $3 = 202%

So out of the top 25 football programs, once you add those five in to the chart, there are three schools that pay 3x what the hoops coach makes and a total of four schools that pay more than 2x.

So basically, all you're asking is that UConn behave like one of the top two teams in the SEC, ACC and B1G as far as dropping a top 10 salary for an FBS coach, and similar top-10-ish salaries for assistants. To coach in the Northeast in barren recruiting grounds for a school with nearly zero tradition and a fanbase that only supports winners and even then doesn't travel well to bowl games.

Simple and reasonable ask, lol.

Your argument and facts were wrong, and you're delusional.
Your analysis is so biased and f………ing flawed just to support your stupid argument. I’m at a loss for words. Make the same analysis for the AP top 25 football teams as of yesterday and repost it. I have news for you, the New Big East is dying a slow death, because they won’t play FBS football. With the exception of us and Villanova the league is awful. When did Georgetown, StJohns, Seton Hall, or Providence last close the season in the top 10. Even Gonzaga is beginning to lose basketball recruits to the football schools.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I would love to see someone like Coach Kelley at Uconn. We be talk of the town, and be on highlight films regularly. He can win big here. He is also old enough that he might stay here long term.

We'll be ridiculed by the same people that are promoting him now. But if he's a good Coach and we start to win some games they'll be fighting ro get back on the bandwagon.

Reaction Score
We'll be ridiculed by the same people that are promoting him now. But if he's a good Coach and we start to win some games they'll be fighting ro get back on the bandwagon.
He did mention he calls plays based on statistics. I say why not in this modern football era? He could be a pioneer in the sport. We didn't make it work with all these ultra conservative coaches, so why not try the other end?

A high power offense would be super fun to watch.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Kelly would at least seem to make UConn fun to watch and hopefully play for.

At least on offense.

Reaction Score
That was Richard Lagow, another example of the P era disfunction. During summer practice when he and Boyle were true freshman and Casey was a redshirt freshman, Desmond Connor (a P shill who had extended access to practices) stated a couple of times that Lagow appeared to be the most advanced of the three. However he somehow ended up third of the three on the depth chart (which led to his leaving school. The kicker was after getting canned a few games into that season P stated that he did what "they" wanted, even favored "their kids at quarterback". My guess is "they" were local coaches and that placement on the depth chart was more due to where they played HS football than performance (Lagow's father said basically this in a rant shortly before his son left UConn).

Not to disparage local talent but ranking players as a means to make HS coaches happy (as opposed to performance) is not a good way to go about things, especially considering how limited the local talent pool is.
This is unfair. In my opinion, UConn had pretty good QB depth with Lagow, Cochran, Whitmer, and Boyle. Lagow was upset from the start and delayed his signing with UConn as they brought in Tim Boyle late. And, he left before the season started. It happens as all of the QBs can't play.

Cochran had a pretty good year as he went 3-1 as a starter to end the season under Weist competing 63.4% of his passes for 1293 yards and 11 TDs and 4 INTs. He looked like the QB of the future, but concussions got the best of him. Boyle is now in the NFL. I don't think you can blame PP/GDL for putting Cochran and Boyle ahead of Lagow on the initial depth chart.

Reaction Score
I think Kelley would be a bold move. It certainly would get UConn some viewers. I don't see it happening but it would be interesting. I still think Jason Candle is the move.

Reaction Score
Football drives the bus for every sport at every FBS school. UConn in all sports, including basketball, will die a slow death if in fact, as you say “UConn is not one of those schools”. Benedict and the school knows this, that they have to hire a decent coach and pay big bucks. The return on the investment is definitely worth it.
See post #677, I think you and I are done here.

Reaction Score

I think this is a case of the old saying "nobody ever got fired for buying IBM". If Benedict hires a more traditional name for next coach and it fails, maybe he is done at UConn but he's still got a pretty good career ahead of him. If Benedict hires Kelley and it fails, that could easily be a pretty nasty black mark on his resume.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score

Diaco is a case study in what can happen when you hire a coach with an unconventional approach and it doesn't work out. I prefer us hiring a traditional candidate with a proven track record as a program leader. He can hire coordinators to manage the nuts and bolts.

Reaction Score
For all of you who are touting Kevin Kelley: Let's see how his season goes. So far this season, his team has played 2 games against much lower level competition. It's akin to an FBS school playing against D-II or D-III. We all can better guage him as a coach after his FCS team plays some games against FCS tier schools.

Reaction Score
Your analysis is so biased and f………ing flawed just to support your stupid argument. I’m at a loss for words. Make the same analysis for the AP top 25 football teams as of yesterday and repost it. I have news for you, the New Big East is dying a slow death, because they won’t play FBS football. With the exception of us and Villanova the league is awful. When did Georgetown, StJohns, Seton Hall, or Providence last close the season in the top 10. Even Gonzaga is beginning to lose basketball recruits to the football schools.
One could only hope that you were at a loss for words. You seem like you are 100% football, basketball be damned. But think about this "hypothetical" for a moment. Just say, UCONN killed the football program and was then free to axe 85 scholarships in other sports. What sports would be left to support themselves? Could they feasibly do it? Football isn't driving anything at UCONN presently. Let's all hope that AD David Benedict can fix it this time around. Step back into the realm of reality and lose the delusion.

Reaction Score
One could only hope that you were at a loss for words. You seem like you are 100% football, basketball be damned. But think about this "hypothetical" for a moment. Just say, UCONN killed the football program and was then free to axe 85 scholarships in other sports. What sports would be left to support themselves? Could they feasibly do it? Football isn't driving anything at UCONN presently. Let's all hope that AD David Benedict can fix it this time around. Step back into the realm of reality and lose the delusion.
Your analysis is very funny. Maybe hoping for an offer twice what Hurley makes is a little too hopeful. If however they offer anything less than what the men’s basketball coach makes, they’ll end up with another Disco. I also think not too long after the hire, Benedict will call it quits in Storrs.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Your analysis is so biased and f………ing flawed just to support your stupid argument. I’m at a loss for words. Make the same analysis for the AP top 25 football teams as of yesterday and repost it. I have news for you, the New Big East is dying a slow death, because they won’t play FBS football. With theme exception of us and Villanova the league is awful. When did Georgetown, StJohns, Seton Hall, or Providence last close the season in the top 10. Even Gonzaga is beginning to lose basketball recruits to the football schools.
You made the 2x & 3x argument. I gave you the most recent data from the most recent completed season.

Go do your own research if you're capable of such. However, with such a ridiculous opening argument based on nothing, I am doubtful you're capable of any facts to support your assertions.

Btw, you're at a loss for words because your vocabulary sucks.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
He did mention he calls plays based on statistics.
I don't know anything about Kelley, but I would have to imagine that the stats that work for Presbyterian now may not apply to playing FBS schools. I'm guessing things that work against the Ft Lauderdale Eagles may not work against Purdue or Clemson. The assumed increased in quality of the opposition would have to change the results. My ample gut says too gimicky.

Reaction Score
The bio on Kevin Kelley is pretty fascinating - 9 State Championships in Arkansas at AAA is impressive. I'm not sure it's the right fit - but it would, finally, be fun to watch. When Kansas was searching, he supposedly said he'd take $90k per win if offered the job...I like the performance-based pay confidence.

Reaction Score
How many different coaches will the Boneyard obsess over before a new coach is named?

So far I'd count 3...

First it was Chesney in the build up and defeat to HC, next was Moorhead which I suspect will continue and now Kelly... Who will be next? A fired coach? An up and coming coordinator? Can't wait to find out!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom