Who's your list for next HC? | Page 27 | The Boneyard

Who's your list for next HC?

Reaction Score
Just tossing around a few more names:

Mike Sanford Jr, OC/QB Minnesota formerly HC at Western Kentucky. HC stint didn't go great but wasn't a total disaster and ended after only 2 years.

Said it before, but I'll say it again because I feel he deserves another shot, Brian Polian STC Norte Dame, formerly HC at Nevada.

If UConn doesn't go young, as I feel they should within reason. I would love to see someone get their second shot.

Reaction Score
I’m just throwing this name out there. Shane Day was the QB Coach for P and called the plays under Weist. He’s been a highly sought after QB coach in the NFL since then. I went to college with him for a year or two.

I hope he wasn’t the guy who advised PP to play Johnny McEntee instead of Mike Nebrich who broke every Virginia high school football record for quarterbacks. Nebrich transferred two months later to Fordham at the insistence of the new head coach there, a guy named Joe Morehead. Morehead recruited Nebrich at UConn, so Joe knew what he had. All of a sudden Fordham was rolling over people.

Reaction Score
Would love to know your source and how real that is.

those first three are legit coaches and all would come with staffing expectations.
If true, UConn is going different route and expanding the budget.
They have to, if the BOT wants FBS football to succeed at UConn they have hire a new coach and offer him big bucks. At least double whatever they’re paying Hurley to coach the basketball team.

Reaction Score
Yes I think he might be good. Northeast guy with Maine having UCONN connections. No need to pay more than RE since no one else would. Coordinators 500 plus if they are worth it. The morehead and that caliber is 2.5 plus.
More than that, double whatever they’re paying Hurley to coach the basketball team.

Reaction Score
They have to, if the BOT wants FBS football to succeed at UConn they have hire a new coach and offer him big bucks. At least double whatever they’re paying Hurley to coach the basketball team.
Yeah, they're not doubling Hurley's salary for the football coach.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I hope he wasn’t the guy who advised PP to play Johnny McEntee instead of Mike Nebrich who broke every Virginia high school football record for quarterbacks. Nebrich transferred two months later to Fordham at the insistence of the new head coach there, a guy named Joe Morehead. Morehead recruited Nebrich at UConn, so Joe knew what he had. All of a sudden Fordham was rolling over people.
That was GDL. I don't want to rehash it as I'll want to punch a hole in one of my walls remembering what happened then but there were a few guys (Nebrich included) who could have helped us quite a bit but were never given the opportunity.

As far as Day goes, he did some nice things once TJ became head coach. Prior to that, GDL made it clear who ran the offense.

Reaction Score
Someone who doesn't worship himself. They all do, but yeah.

Reaction Score
I think Clay was paid almost 5 Million. I think our head coach and his entire staff will be less then he was paid.We need a young coach who is making 300 to 450 thousand. Give him an incentive package that includes winning games.
$4.6 million... public information

Reaction Score
That was GDL. I don't want to rehash it as I'll want to punch a hole in one of my walls remembering what happened then but there were a few guys (Nebrich included) who could have helped us quite a bit but were never given the opportunity.

As far as Day goes, he did some nice things once TJ became head coach. Prior to that, GDL made it clear who ran the offense.
Yes, that kid who left UConn to go to Indiana could’ve helped also. My apologies, can’t remember his name. IIRC his father pulled him out of UConn early in the season.

Reaction Score
Yeah, they're not doubling Hurley's salary for the football coach.
That’s BS and you know it. At any successful P5 football program in the country the football coach makes 2 and sometimes 3 times what the basketball coach makes. If UConn wants a slam dunk on a football coach hire they have to pay that. Football drives the bus, and if UConn wants that bus on campus they will have to pay the going rate. They can pay that if Benedict and the BOT agree to it. I don’t know if they will but that’s what’s required. They could get lucky and lowball some young guy with no experience like they did with Geno and the women’s team, but that’s a shot in the dark.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Yes, that kid who left UConn to go to Indiana could’ve helped also. My apologies, can’t remember his name. IIRC his father pulled him out of UConn early in the season.
That was Richard Lagow, another example of the P era disfunction. During summer practice when he and Boyle were true freshman and Casey was a redshirt freshman, Desmond Connor (a P shill who had extended access to practices) stated a couple of times that Lagow appeared to be the most advanced of the three. However he somehow ended up third of the three on the depth chart (which led to his leaving school. The kicker was after getting canned a few games into that season P stated that he did what "they" wanted, even favored "their kids at quarterback". My guess is "they" were local coaches and that placement on the depth chart was more due to where they played HS football than performance (Lagow's father said basically this in a rant shortly before his son left UConn).

Not to disparage local talent but ranking players as a means to make HS coaches happy (as opposed to performance) is not a good way to go about things, especially considering how limited the local talent pool is.

Reaction Score
How about Moncton from Army. Turned a long term doormat around. I think the upside at UConn is a good deal higher than Army, too.
J Monken has been mentioned several times over the past few years for bigger HC jobs, but the fact that he is a Paul Johnson Triple Option disciple works against him.

That may be just the kind of gimmicky offense that UConn needs to get rolling in the right direction, but I wouldn't count on it unless he had a plan to transition into a more pro style.

Would much prefer cousin Todd, OC Georgia, formerly HC Southern Miss.

Reaction Score
PP installed a new prostyle offense when he got here so McEntee may have made more sense at qb than Nebrich. Moorehead ran more of college style read option offense. In my humble opinion, if PP had kept Moorehead as the OC and played Nebrich at qb we would have had winning records the first two years of PP's career at Uconn. Our defense was still pretty good those two years. Too me, its a lack of understanding of the players on your roster and the likelihood of the type of of players you are going to attract to Uconn. As such, I don't want anyone from the NFL coming to Uconn to try to save our program.

Reaction Score
That’s BS and you know it. At any successful P5 football program in the country the football coach makes 2 and sometimes 3 times what the basketball coach makes. If UConn wants a slam dunk on a football coach hire they have to pay that. Football drives the bus, and if UConn wants that bus on campus they will have to pay the going rate. They can pay that if Benedict and the BOT agree to it. I don’t know if they will but that’s what’s required. They could get lucky and lowball some young guy with no experience like they did with Geno and the women’s team, but that’s a shot in the dark.
I don't know what you think I wrote, but knowing the history of UCONN paying the football coach...he isn't going to make double what Hurley makes. As far as football driving the bus, it most certainly does...at schools that emphasize football. Based on everything that we've seen, UCONN isn't one of those schools. Would it be nice? It would be very nice, but track record doesn't indicate it. Hopefully they can find lightning in a bottle once again.

Reaction Score
I don't know what you think I wrote, but knowing the history of UCONN paying the football coach...he isn't going to make double what Hurley makes. As far as football driving the bus, it most certainly does...at schools that emphasize football. Based on everything that we've seen, UCONN isn't one of those schools. Would it be nice? It would be very nice, but track record doesn't indicate it. Hopefully they can find lightning in a bottle once again.
Football drives the bus for every sport at every FBS school. UConn in all sports, including basketball, will die a slow death if in fact, as you say “UConn is not one of those schools”. Benedict and the school knows this, that they have to hire a decent coach and pay big bucks. The return on the investment is definitely worth it.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Care to try again?

1631626535594.png

This is a list of the 25 highest paid MBB coaches in 2020, plus Hurley (I removed Wright and Cooley as their schools don't play FBS).

As you can see, only Georgia and Oklahoma paid more than 2x the MBB coach's salary. Most pay about 25% more.

Of the top 10 highest paid FB coaches, Alabama, LSU, Clemson, Michigan and Florida are not represented here (Texas A&M, Georgia, Auburn, Oklahoma and TCU are in the chart), so let's look at those five football powers:

Saban: $9.1 / Oats $3.225 = 282%
Orgeron: $8.688 / Wade: $2.5 = 347% (interestingly, Kim Mulkey will make at least $3 million this year)
Swinney: $8.258 / Brownell: $2.5 = 330%
Harbaugh: $8.054 = Howard: $2.2 = 366%
Mullen: $6.070 / White: $3 = 202%

So out of the top 25 football programs, once you add those five in to the chart, there are three schools that pay 3x what the hoops coach makes and a total of four schools that pay more than 2x.

So basically, all you're asking is that UConn behave like one of the top two teams in the SEC, ACC and B1G as far as dropping a top 10 salary for an FBS coach, and similar top-10-ish salaries for assistants. To coach in the Northeast in barren recruiting grounds for a school with nearly zero tradition and a fanbase that only supports winners and even then doesn't travel well to bowl games.

Simple and reasonable ask, lol.

Your argument and facts were wrong, and you're delusional.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Didn't he have a 24-63 record at Georgetown? Sorry, I think I have the wrong Coach Kelley.
Never coached at Gtown. Came straight to Presby from coaching high school.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom