Who's your list for next HC? | Page 25 | The Boneyard

Who's your list for next HC?

Reaction Score
Here is a recap on names that have been tossed about.

Some have been omitted that I have deemed stupid suggestions. (Mangini, Kelly)

I have included wanted names regardless of the likelihood of them taking on the job. So even if JM or RL arent coming, they are the two names tossed around the most and hence top the list. The top 4 on the list seem to be the mist discussed names, others added as they have popped up. Only included names that someone agreed with.

Joe H. is bolded as my first choice.

Joe Moorhead - OC Oregon
Rhett Lashlee - OC Miami
Jamey Chadwell - HC Coastal Carolina
Will Healy - HC Charlotte

Joe Harasymiak - Co DC Minnesota
JaJuan Seider - RB Penn St
Liam Coen - OC QB Kentucky
Bill O'Brien - OC Alabama
Phil Longo - OC UNC
Jason Candle - HC Toledo
Sean Lewis - HC Kent State
Bob Chesney - HC HC
Sean Spencer - DL NYG
Eric Mele - RB Miss St
Matt Canada - OC Steelers
Charlie Strong - AHC ILB Jaguars
Curt Cignetti - HC JMU
Tom Herman - OA Special Projects Bears
Willie Taggert - HC FAU

Happy to edit for any others that have been discussed and I overlooked.
Harasymiak is definitely on Benedict’s short list, also heard Lashlee, Moorehead, and Tom Herman are on it. Spanos also in the running but unlikely if you ask me. Herman is a long shot IMO.

Reaction Score
I see a lot of posts about UConn being an impossible job. We probably hired the 3 worst candidates we could have found. PP was over the hill for 7 years. BD didn’t even practice offense (true story from a buddy of mine who played under him) and RE 2.0 didn’t even try to put a competitive product on the field and only blames his players. If we had even a mildly competent head coach and average at best coordinators this program could easily have strung together some decent years. We have an OL coach calling plays right now on offense. We really don’t need to over complicate this hire. Just don’t get a washed up retread with no desire but to fill up his pension or a coordinator that every other school in the country passes up. That said… I think Moorehead is out of reach. There are tons of other successful offensive minded coaches who would love the opportunity to make 7 figures. Trust that AD Dave will make the right call just like he did with basketball.
Basketball was a layup!

Reaction Score
Harasymiak is definitely on Benedict’s short list, also heard Lashlee, Moorehead, and Tom Herman are on it. Spanos also in the running but unlikely if you ask me. Herman is a long shot IMO.
Herman is probably the most likely our of Lashlee, Moorhead and himself. I personally hope we through everything we can at Moorhead to get him here.

Reaction Score

I have included wanted names regardless of the likelihood of them taking on the job. So even if JM or RL arent coming, they are the two names tossed around the most and hence top the list. The top 4 on the list seem to be the mist discussed names, others added as they have popped up. Only included names that someone agreed with.

Joe Moorhead - OC Oregon
Rhett Lashlee - OC Miami

Phil Longo - OC UNC
Jason Candle - HC Toledo
Bob Chesney - HC HC
Sean Spencer - DL NYG
Eric Mele - RB Miss St
Curt Cignetti - HC JMU
Willie Taggert - HC FAU

I’ve seen a few posts about Liam Coen, OC at UK. Kentucky is relevant for the time in, well, ever due to Stoops and this guy. We need an Offensive mind - and this guy seems really creative.

Reaction Score

Joe Moorhead - OC Oregon
Rhett Lashlee - OC Miami

Phil Longo - OC UNC
Jason Candle - HC Toledo
Bob Chesney - HC HC
Sean Spencer - DL NYG
Eric Mele - RB Miss St
Curt Cignetti - HC JMU
Willie Taggert - HC FAU

Love your top 4. I like some of the remaining coaches on the list and I am trying to learn more about the others that I am not all that familiar with. Overall, it appears to be very promising list. Lets hope that we get the right person this time. Can a school make the WRONG choice 4 times in a row?

Griggs

Yale Bowl portal 8
Reaction Score
I am a proud graduate of The Ripper (aka Shelton High) and can attest to the greatness of all of my fellow valley football alums. However, hard pass on any of us as the next UCONN head football coach. We need someone with a record of winning as a head football coach at some level. No assistants or coordinators.
Joe Benanto is available.

Reaction Score
Love your top 4. I like some of the remaining coaches on the list and I am trying to learn more about the others that I am not all that familiar with. Overall, it appears to be very promising list. Lets hope that we get the right person this time. Can a school make the WRONG choice 4 times in a row?
I am starting to feel even if we hired nick saban we would be lucky to win 4 games. Lot of things have to change

Reaction Score
I want Kevin Kelley, currently coaching at Presbyterian. This is the coach that doesn’t punt. All he does is win! This isn’t a gimmick, it’s innovation.
Their last game was against an opponent that started their football team in 2017 at the club level and plays in the NCCAA... Not the NCAA. Their first opponent was NAIA. Let's see what his team is able to do when they start playing against equal talent competition before we crown him an innovator in college.

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
Their last game was against an opponent that started their football team in 2017 at the club level and plays in the NCCAA... Not the NCAA. Their first opponent was NAIA. Let's see what his team is able to do when they start playing against equal talent competition before we crown him an innovator in college.
Chesney or Hasyrniack would be good..

Reaction Score
I think people should look at how formerly worst FBS level teams, and that is UConn today, hired and rebuilt. How did Rutgers get Sciano 1.0, Vandy James Franklin, Edsall 1.0? Where did they find their coaches? They were not P4 or P5 coordinators. They were assistants at that level or they came from FCS. They built quickly and then left. Subsequent poor hires pushed them back down. That is reality of where to look and find success.

Reaction Score

Joe Moorhead - OC Oregon
Rhett Lashlee - OC Miami

Phil Longo - OC UNC
Jason Candle - HC Toledo
Bob Chesney - HC HC
Sean Spencer - DL NYG
Eric Mele - RB Miss St
Curt Cignetti - HC JMU
Willie Taggert - HC FAU

Thank you for compiling! As I see it now, there's two things I look at: 1) if they will actually come and 2) if he will even be successful.

Moorhead -- after how the Ducks' offense shredded OSU, Moorhead now has a great convo for his P5 HC interviews. He ain't coming now. 5% chance is now at 0%

Lashlee -- He is a southern guy. Clearly didn't like it here. 4 OC stops in what, 5 years? Not a good sign. He seems built for a Sun Belt/C-USA coaching job down south. I'll give it a 10% chance though but I don't even know if he'd be successful if he came.

Chadwell -- Why would he leave a ranked program to come to a bottom program? Not to mention he will be able to get a P5 job if he wants it. 0% chance.

Healy -- He is 11-10 at Charlotte. Went 13-21 at Austin Peay (does include an 0-11 year 1 though). I'm not denying he could be a good HC for us, but 11-10 at Charlotte doesn't necessarily make me think he can be successful for us even if he would come here.

Joe H -- I think this would be a very smart hire, especially if he could grab Liam Coen to be an OC/AHC. I'm sure AD DB has some inside info from former co-workers as well, always good to have some inside knowledge. Has HC experience in the Northeast but his Minnesota teams have struggled on D this year which is a concern. Would like to see where they are at the end of the season. I think he would come here and could be successful.

Bill O'Brien -- I honestly think we are too beneath him. If he wasn't the GM of the Texans, he'd still be HC. He won the division 4 time in 6 years, which is extremely difficult to do in the NFL. He worked wonders at Penn State admin a very difficult situation with the sanctions. There is zero doubt he could get a high level P5 job, especially given where Alabama coaches rehab program attendees end up.

Phil Longo -- This is a sneaky good move. Offensive minded (air raid), NJ guy. UNC has been pretty solid last 2+ years but is it Longo or Sam Howell responsible for the success on offense? Was solid at Ole Miss but that was just a tough program to be at in 17-18. No HC experience gives me qualms but I think we could overlook that if the DC/OC are seasoned.

Jason Candle -- Has been solid at Toledo, pretty run of the mill MAC coach. Doesn't really excite me and probably won't move the needle and rejuvenate the fan base. An Ohio guy through and through, so slightly worried about his ability to recruit outside of there.

Sean Lewis -- Another MAC coach who excites me a lot more than Candle. Was able to turn around a BAD Kent State program after 1 season. Only 35, former OC at Cuse. I think he deserves to be on the short list.

Bob Chesney -- Well he followed up the win vs us by losing to Merrimack by 14 so...if he finishes the season strong I think he deserves an interview for sure based on his track record. I think he could probably be successful, but I feel like the ceiling is pretty low with him but you never know.

Sean Spencer -- CT guy, great resume throughout the Northeast. His only knock is zero HC experience, which after Diaco I'm hesitant about. Was AHC at Penn State at least but besides zero HC experience hasn't even been a DC. Would love for him to be our DC if I'm being honest with a more experienced HC.

Eric Mele -- another NJ guy, never been higher than an RB coach. Hard pass.

Matt Canada -- Unsure of his baggage from the Maryland scandal, but has ~1 season of HC experience and being current OC of the Steelers is pretty significant. Unsure if he would come here though, unless he is desperate to be a HC again and other teams are worried about him.

Charlie Strong -- I'll pass. He's 61 and couldn't even success at USF.

Curt Cignetti -- His age (60) gives me pause but he's been super successful as a HC (90-29) and has been crushing it the last 2+ years at JMU. Former Recruiting Coordinator at NC State and then Alabama is an overlooked part of his resume I think that could be invaluable not only for recruiting but evaluating the transfer portal talent which is beyond critical for us the next 1-2 seasons going forward. I wasn't for him at first but he actually is definitely a top choice in my opinion. I think he'd come here and he would be successful.

Tom Herman -- I don't think Texas should have fired him, but I think we are so far beneath him. He'll land on his feet at a decent P5 program nexts season.

Willie Taggert -- I think he should also be near the top of the list. Can obviously recruit Florida after turning around a bad USF program going from 2-to-4-to-8-to-10 wins in his 4 years there. Flew too close to the sun with Oregon and FSU but can't really fault him. At FAU now so we can 1) afford him and 2) offer better facilities. Unsure if he would come, but I have no problems offering him the gig.

Reaction Score
Taggart's teams were seen as lacking discipline, despite being a "players coach" the team seemed not to buy-in. His offense pedestrian. From ESPN's article highlighting the downfall of FSU:
"They wanted to run this playbook with freaking five plays in it," one former player said. "I'm sorry this isn't the MAC. They're going to catch on to it, and that's exactly what happened."

If we're looking for offensive innovation that doesn't strike me as a strong endorsement (although perhaps our players need "lethal simplicity".

"Coach Taggart kept saying we had to rebuild, and we were all like what do you mean rebuild?" one player said. "There is no rebuilding. That's not a thing. We are Florida State. We didn't believe in Taggart. We didn't believe in what they were trying to have us do. How are you going to win games if the team doesn't believe in you?"

His inability to get player buy in, is down-right scary.. could he be effective here? Perhaps.. but he wouldn't be near the top of my list.

Reaction Score
Thank you for compiling! As I see it now, there's two things I look at: 1) if they will actually come and 2) if he will even be successful.

Moorhead -- after how the Ducks' offense shredded OSU, Moorhead now has a great convo for his P5 HC interviews. He ain't coming now. 5% chance is now at 0%

Lashlee -- He is a southern guy. Clearly didn't like it here. 4 OC stops in what, 5 years? Not a good sign. He seems built for a Sun Belt/C-USA coaching job down south. I'll give it a 10% chance though but I don't even know if he'd be successful if he came.

Chadwell -- Why would he leave a ranked program to come to a bottom program? Not to mention he will be able to get a P5 job if he wants it. 0% chance.

Healy -- He is 11-10 at Charlotte. Went 13-21 at Austin Peay (does include an 0-11 year 1 though). I'm not denying he could be a good HC for us, but 11-10 at Charlotte doesn't necessarily make me think he can be successful for us even if he would come here.

Joe H -- I think this would be a very smart hire, especially if he could grab Liam Coen to be an OC/AHC. I'm sure AD DB has some inside info from former co-workers as well, always good to have some inside knowledge. Has HC experience in the Northeast but his Minnesota teams have struggled on D this year which is a concern. Would like to see where they are at the end of the season. I think he would come here and could be successful.

Bill O'Brien -- I honestly think we are too beneath him. If he wasn't the GM of the Texans, he'd still be HC. He won the division 4 time in 6 years, which is extremely difficult to do in the NFL. He worked wonders at Penn State admin a very difficult situation with the sanctions. There is zero doubt he could get a high level P5 job, especially given where Alabama coaches rehab program attendees end up.

Phil Longo -- This is a sneaky good move. Offensive minded (air raid), NJ guy. UNC has been pretty solid last 2+ years but is it Longo or Sam Howell responsible for the success on offense? Was solid at Ole Miss but that was just a tough program to be at in 17-18. No HC experience gives me qualms but I think we could overlook that if the DC/OC are seasoned.

Jason Candle -- Has been solid at Toledo, pretty run of the mill MAC coach. Doesn't really excite me and probably won't move the needle and rejuvenate the fan base. An Ohio guy through and through, so slightly worried about his ability to recruit outside of there.

Sean Lewis -- Another MAC coach who excites me a lot more than Candle. Was able to turn around a BAD Kent State program after 1 season. Only 35, former OC at Cuse. I think he deserves to be on the short list.

Bob Chesney -- Well he followed up the win vs us by losing to Merrimack by 14 so...if he finishes the season strong I think he deserves an interview for sure based on his track record. I think he could probably be successful, but I feel like the ceiling is pretty low with him but you never know.

Sean Spencer -- CT guy, great resume throughout the Northeast. His only knock is zero HC experience, which after Diaco I'm hesitant about. Was AHC at Penn State at least but besides zero HC experience hasn't even been a DC. Would love for him to be our DC if I'm being honest with a more experienced HC.

Eric Mele -- another NJ guy, never been higher than an RB coach. Hard pass.

Matt Canada -- Unsure of his baggage from the Maryland scandal, but has ~1 season of HC experience and being current OC of the Steelers is pretty significant. Unsure if he would come here though, unless he is desperate to be a HC again and other teams are worried about him.

Charlie Strong -- I'll pass. He's 61 and couldn't even success at USF.

Curt Cignetti -- His age (60) gives me pause but he's been super successful as a HC (90-29) and has been crushing it the last 2+ years at JMU. Former Recruiting Coordinator at NC State and then Alabama is an overlooked part of his resume I think that could be invaluable not only for recruiting but evaluating the transfer portal talent which is beyond critical for us the next 1-2 seasons going forward. I wasn't for him at first but he actually is definitely a top choice in my opinion. I think he'd come here and he would be successful.

Tom Herman -- I don't think Texas should have fired him, but I think we are so far beneath him. He'll land on his feet at a decent P5 program nexts season.

Willie Taggert -- I think he should also be near the top of the list. Can obviously recruit Florida after turning around a bad USF program going from 2-to-4-to-8-to-10 wins in his 4 years there. Flew too close to the sun with Oregon and FSU but can't really fault him. At FAU now so we can 1) afford him and 2) offer better facilities. Unsure if he would come, but I have no problems offering him the gig.
With Edsall gone I think Lashlee would come here, buy a Hummer for the wife, and a warm overcoat, and send the kids to Choate.

Reaction Score
John Marinelli-U of AZ and former New Canaan/Greenwich coach. He can hire Lou as the DC. Better than the Edsall nepotism!

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
@CCSUblue and @ThabeetDown, nice compilations and analysis. My list for HC would be
1. Cignetti
2. Coen
3. Harasymiak
4. Longo
5. Spencer

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Marinelli is a senior analyst for Bielema at Illinois this season.

Reaction Score
Herman, Lashlee, O’Brien, or Moorehead. Any of those four would be successful in Storrs.
No doubt that the 3 with HC experience would find success. I just don't see any of them considering us. Why would they? All 3 would be able to get better jobs next season than UConn. Lashlee, who's stock is much lower than the other 3, could come here. I just don't think he has any interest.

Reaction Score
I'm always optimistic and love the optimism here on this topic.
I believed our players would actually be bigger, stronger and faster this year and play like it.

We have great facilities, including the recently renovated locker room, and the players should play with pride about the name on their jerseys.

I thought with four years of recruiting and development under Edsall that six wins was not totally out of the question, with HC, UMass, Yale, etc. on the schedule and an upset or two.

I've fought feeling that this whole process has been designed to slowly kill the program and now, as I reflect on what it will take to attract a coach who knows how to manage a program, recruit and win, it seems to all come down to:
Who in their right mind would give up a good, secure, position in a nice locale to come to Storrs, CT, home of ten years of misery under three different head coaches and several interim coaches?

Most, if not all, high quality accomplished coaches won't be
gunslingers and go for broke to come here if their career is on a trajectory pointing towards better jobs.

If we don't show we're really serious about improving football by offering a major, written, commitment to candidates providing not only a competitive salary for the coach but also for the assistants along with other assurances, especially the schedule, we will not fare any better in hiring and on the field.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom