Who's your list for next HC? | Page 22 | The Boneyard

Who's your list for next HC?

Reaction Score
Keep in mind that Crazy Bob was not the first choice. The first choice was the Broyles winner from Michigan who turned UConn down for lack of budget for the staff.
I thought it was Narduzzi from Michigan St.

Reaction Score
Moorehead is not coming here, so lets just stop. No way that dude is dropping down to our level in FBS when he's already an OC for Oregon. I think that idea is ridiculous.
It might make sense for Moorhead to come to UConn. Why? He is only 47 and he probably needs to prove himself as a head coach before he gets the next P5 head coaching job as he only spent 2 years at Miss. St. before he was fired. If he turns around UConn, he would probably leave in 3 or 4 years for a better job. You have to make the call.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
It might make sense for Moorhead to come to UConn. Why? He is only 47 and he probably needs to prove himself as a head coach before he gets the next P5 head coaching job as he only spent 2 years at Miss. St. before he was fired. If he turns around UConn, he would probably leave in 3 or 4 years for a better job. You have to make the call.
Circle back in November.... lets see where UConn lands in the opportunities list for the Oregon OC.

Reaction Score
I like your mindset thinking from a AD DB mindset, but Muschamp hard pass, Steele is 60, Claeys had a bad scandal that forced him out, and Kill's health and age is a hard no. Anyone else from his past connections besides Lashlee?

Agreed that Moorhead has to be the de facto #1 choice, but it's going to be a lot of work for whoever takes the gig so why would he? He could easily get a lower level P5 job that would a hell of a lot easier if he wants it I'm sure (especially if Oregon's O has a good season). Not to mention we DEMOTED HIM when PP arrived. I'm sure he doesn't have the fondest memory for us all things considered...

Cignetti is also 60, hard pass. We need someone in their low 50s or under. This is a young man's game, especially with the amount of work required for whoever is the next HC. Entz has zero connections to our recruiting pipeline states, I don't care if the next HC is a Northeast guy or not, but they have to be able to recruit NJ/MD/PA/GA/FL. Entz actually does have a few FL guys at NDSU, but he's been a Midwest guy all his life and other than money (which could easily be a 2-3x raise) as a reason, I don't know if he would he be set up for success here with limited connections to the Northeast/Northeast recruiters and coordinators more importantly.

Chadwell has been discussed at nauseam as well, he's already making 850K. We ponying up $2m to hire him when we could probably get a guy like Entz for easily half that? Not to mention he could easily go to an ACC gig next year if one opens up. Plus, why would he leave a RANKED program for a bottom 5 program???
He can take it if he wants it. King Joe. A lot more control and less stress than the SEC.

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I think it’s pretty obvious the recruits we’ve gotten recently are not very good. That’s evidenced by both the results on the field and the average 100th rated recruiting class the last two years. Or you can look at average rating per player where it’s worse.

The independent aspect is absolutely an added difficulty in recruiting on the trail. I’ve talked to multiple former players about it. Despite what others have insinuated at in this thread, playing against the same teams annually, competing for divisional and conference titles, having guaranteed games in certain geographic areas, that all matters to kids when they’re going through the cycle. We also don’t have a bowl tie in and while we have a current TV deal it expires in 3 years and who knows what happens then.

I didn‘t say we couldn’t recruit as an Independent. But it is definitely another variable that the staff has to address on the trail. It’s okay to admit that- a good developmental and recruiting staff can overcome it. But we’ll need to actually hire one of those which I doubt we will do.
I guess I am referring to the recruits coming in 2022. Without checking...I think it could be our best class in years.

I agree with you that being in a conference matters....but only when that conference is good. I don't think there is a difference between recruiting as an independent versus recruiting in the AAC.

Reaction Score
We seem to be casting a wider net.
Also expressing interest:
--Wyoming OC Tim Polasek. (We'll see him in 2 weeks) Former OC at NDSU with QB Carson Wentz
--Former Miami QB Vinny Testaverde has expressed interest, but no coaching experience. Perhaps a fit as OC?.
Feldman has been pumping JaJuan Seider’s name since Sunday…

Polasek is an interesting name to have thrown out (coached under Kirk Ferentz @ Iowa as well) but no head coaching experience.

Reaction Score

Polasek is an interesting name to have thrown out (coached under Kirk Ferentz @ Iowa as well).
I'm not sold on Seider personally.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I guess I am referring to the recruits coming in 2022. Without checking...I think it could be our best class in years.

I agree with you that being in a conference matters....but only when that conference is good. I don't think there is a difference between recruiting as an independent versus recruiting in the AAC.
I understand you (and many other UConn fans) don’t think there’s a difference. Primarily because of the disdain that UConn fans had for being in that league. I’m letting you know from talking to players- that’s not true.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Since Narduzzi's name was brought up as declining UConn's offer, just wanted to throw this out there regarding Matt Canada, as I found it amusing.

I'm not saying Canada is great choice for HC, but he's a great offensive mind and if available, should be talked to. Narduzzi says he wants to be a HC asap. If Roethlisberger decides to play into 2022, I don't think Canada will stick with the Steelers.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Its a good question because it's not only the new head coach salary to consider but the new assistant coaches salary pool which needs to be enriched from current levels plus any buyout of existing contract (if any) from who you poach. Also I think Spanos and Giufre have two year contracts ending in 2022 - everyone else on current staff is year to year.
Wow really?! They both have contracts through ‘22 even with a new HC starting? If true, that’s going to be another huge obstacle for filling this job. What HC is going to want to walk into a program where he can’t bring his own guys and build a staff?

Reaction Score

Polasek is an interesting name to have thrown out (coached under Kirk Ferentz @ Iowa as well) but no head coaching experience.
Seider's extremely interesting... He's coming from PA strong Penn State... PA teams fire off the football... plus he's a former QB... coaches RB's now... interesting....

Reaction Score
Wow really?! They both have contracts through ‘22 even with a new HC starting? If true, that’s going to be another huge obstacle for filling this job. What HC is going to want to walk into a program where he can’t bring his own guys and build a staff?
They have contracts through 2022 regardless if there was a coaching change or not. They’ll just buy-out both if need be (like they did w/ Diaco staff).

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I understand you (and many other UConn fans) don’t think there’s a difference. Primarily because of the disdain that UConn fans had for being in that league. I’m letting you know from talking to players- that’s not true.
Again...what about next year's class? I know what you heard from players...but on paper it looks like a very good class.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
How can you say this when Notre Dame's Broyles award DC came here. Or Rhett dropped from Auburn to come here for the SAME position or Florida States OC took a pay cut to make 650k at UMass? I don't think its as much a stretch as you think. Moorehead makes 900k at Oregon if you put a 2 mil 2.3 mil # there with our facilities and he isn't hand cuffed by Edsall I dont think he's going to thumb his nose at us.

That said I still think Southern/Northern or not Rhett is the first call AD Benedict makes based on their history and his potential.
Little history lesson needed here: That Broyles award DC was a fruit loop that no one else wanted and wasn't even our first choice. Check out the comments on his BC interview.

Lashlee was here because Malzahn and he divorced. He needed a soft landing spot and AD David Benedict was able to help him out. Finally, if Lashlee was so great, he would have been a head coach by now and not an OC at his 4th school.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom