Who's your list for next HC? | Page 20 | The Boneyard

Who's your list for next HC?

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Was thinking about Muschamp earlier, too. Not that I want Muschamp, not that Muschamp would want us, but wouldn’t be surprised if DB would kick the tires based on their mutual time at Auburn.
Muschamps rep at Florida was a control freak. He didn't let his assistants coach. Horrible offenses. And not a great recruiter.

Seems like a bad fit.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
If you look at it from a David Benedict centric view and not a UConn/Connecticut/northeast view...

Muschamp currently an analyst at south Carolina.l
Kevin Steele I don't think has a gig this season...
Maybe Tracy Claeys
Or hell, maybe Kill's health is sorted out and he wants a HC job.
The chances of any of them are probably very slim, but all connected to DB.

I bet Claeys would be a great HC.
Looking at it from an ADDave view makes sense. However, I think Kill is out due to his epilepsy. Doubtful he returns as a coach anywhere.

Claeys would likely be problematic for the BoT due to his being fired after public outrage over a team-led boycott in response to suspensions of 10 Minnesota football players accused of having a role in a sexual assault case. Claeys was on-record stating he "supports his players 1st amendment rights." Claeys retired last season after serving as VT's LB coach, but he's only 52 so who knows what he's thinking.

Steele was awful at Baylor as HC, and other than filling in for one game at Auburn last year hasn't been HC for awhile. He's comfortably at home collecting $800K as Tennessee fired him two weeks after hiring him when Heupel wanted his own guys . He's also 63, which makes his inclusion on any list doubtful.

Oracle9

No time for fake ones
Reaction Score
Reading all the opinions of the state of Uconn football is sad and hilarious at the same time. I was listening to a recent podcast on the situation and possible HC candidates (and non- candidates). It had good insights I think. Check it out Footballscoop Podcast

Reaction Score
This search just feels different.

1. Neither Hathaway nor Warde are in charge.
2. We’re out from under Fiascos buyout so there should be money to spend. Somebody wrote that the four coaches for men’s BB make more than the staff combined for football. That ain’t right
3. We have time
4. We have a vision and plan we can sell. Independence. No CR bull Shiite going on
5. We have a good schedule.
6. Chair of Board of Trustees seems all in
7. No real President in place to f this up.
8. It’s a great school.
9. Really good recruiting class if it can be held together.
This is the kind if fighting spirit I'm talking about!!!
SquarePic_20210909_23515053.jpg

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Reading all the opinions of the state of Uconn football is sad and hilarious at the same time. I was listening to a recent podcast on the situation and possible HC candidates (and non- candidates). It had good insights I think. Check it out Footballscoop Podcast
Covered two pages ago.

Reaction Score
Plus, it's a national story because it's UCONN and because of all the ongoing CR bs. When someone comes here and succeeds, he is going to be a superstar.
I was thinking about that today. Honestly there was this cloud that never lifted before the season except for some occasional good recruiting news. Beyond that was pretty unenthused until the negative pile on started from both UConn tunnel vision fans and the media. Now I'm a little fired up to see a new Coach turn this around and the current group get a couple of shut -- up wins to set the table. It would be a huge story with a lot of humble pie to go around.

Reaction Score
I was thinking about that today. Honestly there was this cloud that never lifted before the season except for some occasional good recruiting news. Beyond that was pretty unenthused until the negative pile on started from both UConn tunnel vision fans and the media. Now I'm a little fired up to see a new Coach turn this around and the current group get a couple of shut -- up wins to set the table. It would be a huge story with a lot of humble pie to go around.
Agreed, same here.

First, I don't think the situation is as bad as people claim. A bad string of events -- several rounds of CR, the AAC, bad hires, covid, a year off, then returning to 110 temps -- so they got blasted. Big deal. Holy Cross, it happens. The UCONN Football Program has at least as much potential as every other G6 program and many P4 programs.

Second, the situation is clear and well covered. We need a relatively young qualified and hungry guy to come here and take the challenge head on. Someone who looks at this as a golden opportunity rather than too difficult an obstacle. There are guys out there who seek this. We don't want someone looking for a blue chip program which recruits itself, they often fail because they don't perform to expectations. We need someone with a bit of Jim Calhoun in him.

Has the search begun in earnest or is there a pause to see how The Spaniard does?

Reaction Score
I like Moorhead and Lashlee, with Devanney or Orlando as our defensive coordinator, but how about these NFL candidates:

Joe Brady, OC, Carolina Panthers (32 on September 23)
Panthers Bio
My preferred choice if we can nab him, this is the guy behind the LSU offense in 2019. 2019 Broyles Award winner, and he’s very young. He’s never been a head coach, but he’s going to be an NFL one very soon. From Florida, but played at William & Mary. Coached at Penn State under James Franklin and Joe Moorhead, so there’s his small UConn connection.

Eric Bieniemy, Kansas City Chiefs OC (52)
Chiefs Bio
He has interviewed for multiple NFL head coaching jobs, and is hungry to be a head coach, but no team has hired him. A little bit older than I’d like, but he has experience coaching in High School, FBS, and the NFL. The mastermind behind one of the greatest offenses of all time.

I’ve seen Jets fans and Giants fans here, so I’ll include some Patriots coaches:

Josh McDaniels, OC/QB (45)
Patriots Bio
He seems happy in Foxboro, but oh boy if we got him we’d be good on the recruiting trails in New England. He’s young and energetic, and is seen as the Patriots’ coach-in-waiting. Has NFL head coaching experience, and was relatively successful. Bill Belichick doesn’t seem like he’s retiring until he breaks Don Shula’s record or he dies, hopefully the former. McDaniels’ offense could be too complex, though.

Steve Belichick, OLB/de facto co-DC (34)
Patriots Bio
Young with a rich daddy, Steve could be our choice if we want defense cheap. Also seen as a coach-in-waiting for the Patriots.

Matt Patricia, Senior Football Advisor (47 on September 13)
Patriots Bio
As close to a literal rocket scientist as you can get (he’s an aeronautical engineer). NFL head coaching was a little over his head, but maybe he can handle college. Plus, he’s flush with buyout money, so he could be cheap.

Jerod Mayo, ILB/de facto co-DC (35)
Patriots Bio
A fast riser, going to de facto co-DC in only his second year as a coach.

And finally: Troy Brown, WR/KR (50)
Patriots Bio
Mr. Patriot, the consummate team member. Played on both sides of the ball in 2004, but mostly as a receiver from 1993-2007. Only in his second year of coaching, but he was a TV analyst beforehand. Every Patriots fan knows who he is, so he should be a good recruiter in New England.
McDaniels isn't leaving the Pats. He's pretty much the coach in waiting once BB retires.

Reaction Score
Benedict has an interesting choice to make. Does he want to name a coach before the season is over or after? He probably can interview NFL and college assistant coaches as well as people not coaching this year before the season is over. Head coaches would have to be interviewed after the season is over. December 15th is the early football signing date, so I would think the new coach needs to be announced by December 5th at the latest. (December 4th are conference championships.)

Reaction Score
I still think ADDave needs to do whatever he can to bring Moorhead back. He has history of winning in the Northeast. Has an offense scheme that scores and can recruit. Next target if Moorhead doesn't come here should be either Cignetti, Entz or Chadwell. We need a homerun hire that's gonna spark interest. I think we UConn gets an offense that is fun to watch, then the head coach will get some leeway on wins and loses and given time to improve the team.

Reaction Score
If you look at it from a David Benedict centric view and not a UConn/Connecticut/northeast view...

Muschamp currently an analyst at south Carolina.
Kevin Steele I don't think has a gig this season...
Maybe Tracy Claeys
Or hell, maybe Kill's health is sorted out and he wants a HC job.
The chances of any of them are probably very slim, but all connected to DB.

I bet Claeys would be a great HC.
I like your mindset thinking from a AD DB mindset, but Muschamp hard pass, Steele is 60, Claeys had a bad scandal that forced him out, and Kill's health and age is a hard no. Anyone else from his past connections besides Lashlee?
I still think ADDave needs to do whatever he can to bring Moorhead back. He has history of winning in the Northeast. Has an offense scheme that scores and can recruit. Next target if Moorhead doesn't come here should be either Cignetti, Entz or Chadwell. We need a homerun hire that's gonna spark interest. I think we UConn gets an offense that is fun to watch, then the head coach will get some leeway on wins and loses and given time to improve the team.
Agreed that Moorhead has to be the de facto #1 choice, but it's going to be a lot of work for whoever takes the gig so why would he? He could easily get a lower level P5 job that would a hell of a lot easier if he wants it I'm sure (especially if Oregon's O has a good season). Not to mention we DEMOTED HIM when PP arrived. I'm sure he doesn't have the fondest memory for us all things considered...

Cignetti is also 60, hard pass. We need someone in their low 50s or under. This is a young man's game, especially with the amount of work required for whoever is the next HC. Entz has zero connections to our recruiting pipeline states, I don't care if the next HC is a Northeast guy or not, but they have to be able to recruit NJ/MD/PA/GA/FL. Entz actually does have a few FL guys at NDSU, but he's been a Midwest guy all his life and other than money (which could easily be a 2-3x raise) as a reason, I don't know if he would he be set up for success here with limited connections to the Northeast/Northeast recruiters and coordinators more importantly.

Chadwell has been discussed at nauseam as well, he's already making 850K. We ponying up $2m to hire him when we could probably get a guy like Entz for easily half that? Not to mention he could easily go to an ACC gig next year if one opens up. Plus, why would he leave a RANKED program for a bottom 5 program???

Reaction Score
I like your mindset thinking from a AD DB mindset, but Muschamp hard pass, Steele is 60, Claeys had a bad scandal that forced him out, and Kill's health and age is a hard no. Anyone else from his past connections besides Lashlee?

Agreed that Moorhead has to be the de facto #1 choice, but it's going to be a lot of work for whoever takes the gig so why would he? He could easily get a lower level P5 job that would a hell of a lot easier if he wants it I'm sure (especially if Oregon's O has a good season). Not to mention we DEMOTED HIM when PP arrived. I'm sure he doesn't have the fondest memory for us all things considered...

Cignetti is also 60, hard pass. We need someone in their low 50s or under. This is a young man's game, especially with the amount of work required for whoever is the next HC. Entz has zero connections to our recruiting pipeline states, I don't care if the next HC is a Northeast guy or not, but they have to be able to recruit NJ/MD/PA/GA/FL. Entz actually does have a few FL guys at NDSU, but he's been a Midwest guy all his life and other than money (which could easily be a 2-3x raise) as a reason, I don't know if he would he be set up for success here with limited connections to the Northeast/Northeast recruiters and coordinators more importantly.

Chadwell has been discussed at nauseam as well, he's already making 850K. We ponying up $2m to hire him when we could probably get a guy like Entz for easily half that? Not to mention he could easily go to an ACC gig next year if one opens up. Plus, why would he leave a RANKED program for a bottom 5 program???
Cignetti has never lost more than 3 games in his entire coaching career. JMU was/is one of the highest scoring teams at the FCS level. 60 isn't terrible. We have to hire like the next coach is coming here as a stepping stone. So go for a guy like Cignetti, Moorhead or Entz need to be on the short list.

Reaction Score
AD David Benedict should be on the phone with current UConn NFL players to try and get them to commit to donating $1MM per year for the next 4 years to be used for the salary pool. That extra amount for salaries would go a long way in attracting good candidates to turn around the program

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Heard from a current player’s father that Charlie Strong is a talked about candidate. Has anyone else heard the same?
Strong is a good recruiter...good face of the program. But he hasn't won when the quarterback wasn't named Bridgewater.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
When you say being an independent is difficult for recruiting...are you saying the recruits we have gotten recently are not good...or that the next coach will find it hard replicate the recruiting of Edsalls staff?

When looking at offers...it looks like recruiting is on an upswing since uconn went independent. So you must think UConn recruiting will get worse with a different coach?
I think it’s pretty obvious the recruits we’ve gotten recently are not very good. That’s evidenced by both the results on the field and the average 100th rated recruiting class the last two years. Or you can look at average rating per player where it’s worse.

The independent aspect is absolutely an added difficulty in recruiting on the trail. I’ve talked to multiple former players about it. Despite what others have insinuated at in this thread, playing against the same teams annually, competing for divisional and conference titles, having guaranteed games in certain geographic areas, that all matters to kids when they’re going through the cycle. We also don’t have a bowl tie in and while we have a current TV deal it expires in 3 years and who knows what happens then.

I didn‘t say we couldn’t recruit as an Independent. But it is definitely another variable that the staff has to address on the trail. It’s okay to admit that- a good developmental and recruiting staff can overcome it. But we’ll need to actually hire one of those which I doubt we will do.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom