• Aubrey

• Paige

• Nika

• Aaliyah

• Azzi

• Caroline

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction Score
Tough problem to have. Too many good players to decide who starts. I see Paige and Christyn as "for sure". The rest could go a lot of ways. Some physical, some psychological things to consider. I do believe that if ONO doesn't come back with stronger hands and attitude, she plays 15 minutes at best.

Reaction Score
I don't disagree with any of that. I will say that I believe that Geno will start a freshman if her talent justifies independent of whether there exists a "talent deficit." In any event the wealth of talent we should have with next year's team is a happy problem to have. How Geno works it out will be interesting to say the least.
That's why I liked Auriemma's message to ONO this spring. As a coach, the last thing I'm going to convey to an incoming freshman or transfer is that your chances for PT are limited because of who's already here. And by the same token, the last thing I tell a Jr or Sr is that your PT is always secure. My message to the whole team every spring would be, if you want to play big minutes then improve yourself this offseason enough that you make it hard for me to take you off the floor. For me, competition brings out the best and reveals the weakness in everyone. If you think you're the best at your position, prove it and leave no doubt.

Reaction Score
I got:
Evina
Christyn
Olivia
Paige
Aaliyah

A lot depends on how the players look during practice. Pretty sure the coaching staff has some type of Competitive Cauldron set up for the players. Building that competitive nature among the team. During the practice sessions, workouts, and whatever else the coaching staff creates, they will see who the competitive players are. Who are the DAWGS in this group. That will lay the foundation to who the starters are and who comes off the bench. But for now, I got E, CW, ONO, PB, and Aaliyah.

Reaction Score
My question is who will average more that 25 minutes a game and will anyone average over 30? And who's on the floor at the end of a close game? It will be interesting to see how the players develop and the dynamics between them. This year may be one of Geno's biggest challenges. As I remember Shea as a freshman, I don't think she started, but had a hugh impact on the game whenever she was on the floor. I'm hoping to see that same effectiveness from more that one of the non-starters this year. It certainly seems possible that all the players listed above that don't start, could be that effective. And if that's the case, I expect an even more aggressive defense, because the players won't have to worry about fouling.

Amashutcha

Basketball enjoyer
Reaction Score
That's because there are a "plethora" of WCBB fans here from all over the country that have seen/played/been around basketball long enough to know the game and how it should be played. They are reasonable in their knowledge, approach and expectations of the game and certain players. They know without a doubt what it takes to win a championship, and can judge talent and see a player's (sometimes latent or untapped) potential to basically know what they're talking about. If you hang around here long enough, you'll figure out who they are. ;)
Oh I can see that. The wild takes were still fun to read though. :D

Reaction Score
Lots of problems, all of them good. Paige starts and she is the most effective playing off the ball. Then who plays PG? Azzi, if she live up to 80% of the hype plays a lot of minutes, but she's not a PG. That leaves Nika and Evina (probably not Christyn) to play the point. I really see Paige and Azzi starting with Nika/Evina playing the point (pick one). Add in Christyn playing a 2/3 position and Aaliyah/Liv (pick one) playing in the post. This ought to work against all except the biggest, most physical teams when more height and beef is needed in the line up.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Lots of problems, all of them good. Paige starts and she is the most effective playing off the ball. Then who plays PG? Azzi, if she live up to 80% of the hype plays a lot of minutes, but she's not a PG. That leaves Nika and Evina (probably not Christyn) to play the point. I really see Paige and Azzi starting with Nika/Evina playing the point (pick one). Add in Christyn playing a 2/3 position and Aaliyah/Liv (pick one) playing in the post. This ought to work against all except the biggest, most physical teams when more height and beef is needed in the line up.
That's a possibility.

Reaction Score
Every time these threads pop up I start out attached to my view of who should play, and then end up just wishing it works out for all of the team and all of the players.

Reaction Score
I said in another thread, Carolyn Doty started every game as a Senior, she was half the player she had been before her injuries. There were players on the bench who were better Stewie during the season, and Bria during the tournament.
But when someone gives everything to the team which Carolyn did, Geno respects that, and they don't lose their starting position. That is Geno, and the Uconn way.
There is something to be said for purting your experienced players in the starting line up to go out and set the tone for the game, let the youngsters watch, and get a feel for the game before they burst on the court with all their freshman angst.

Reaction Score
Easy answer to this.. the five players who will start this season will be the five players that Geno puts on the floor.

Reaction Score
Posted this on another thread but it can fit here also!

I have my ideas who will be starting for UCONN WBB this coming season but there are so many factors that will be taken into consideration by the best coaching staff in WCBB!
Obviously practice performance will dominate the choices, also injuries or illnesses!
Remembering, as stated way above, CD2 was lame much of the end of her time at UCONN but Geno's loyalty to her and other seniors made a starter out of Carolyn Doty! She didn't average more than 10 minutes a game, but started all the games as I recall.
Some factors I consider for players to earn a starting position or play major minutes are:
Paige Bueckers - The winner of all major awards during her Freshman year will lead the team in minutes played!
Azzi Fudd - As mentioned many times previously she didn't come to UCONN to sit the bench, but she can average the 2nd most playing minutes coming off the bench! Her and Paige on the court together has everyone salivating at the possibilities!
Evina Westbrook - Another Senior who was one of the major reasons for the great development of the younger players and Geno will reward her for that!
Nika Muhl - Geno really likes Nika's moxy and toughness and he always rewards these type of players with game minutes!
Carolyn Williams - Another Senior that Geno will bend over backwards to reward her improvement mentally and physically from last season!
Olivia Nelson-Ododa - As a Senior she has that going for her but has not showed up mentally in some huge games that now she has to really step up to earn major minutes!
Aaliyah Edwards - Another young player that Geno thinks hung the moon. And is gathering big time experience with Canada's National Team!
Saylor Poffenbarger - It will be interesting to see how much her early appearance at UCONN aided her true Freshman year.
Mir McLean - An outstanding athlete that has to show she's also an outstanding BB player!
Dorka Juhasz - Everything screams big-time player and if she shows that ONO's starting could be in trouble!
Piath Gabriel - Could become very interesting if her skill level improves as much as a Sophomore as it did as a Freshman.
Caroline Ducharme - She comes in with an impressive resume from HS and USA teams. She'll factor in quickly at UCONN!
Amari DeBerry - Can wind up with important minutes if she lives up to her talent! Maybe a year away!
Aubrey Griffin - As Mir above, has to take her super athletic body into a much improved BB player! Develop some-kind of outside shot to go with that dominating defense!!

Remember everyone has potential, the difference is can they realize that potential?

Reaction Score
Who finishes, IS more important than who starts. However, with the caveat of: what is the situation? If I need points, I'll have Paige, Azzi, and Caroline on the floor. If I need a stop, Nika, Aaliyah, and ONO will definitely be out there.

Reaction Score
Lots of talent but very imbalanced team. So many wings & guards, but not much rebounding & post play. If Deberry & Gabriel cant contribute, Geno is left with 3 players to help control the paint. Not enough to win a Title, imo.

Reaction Score
Lots of talent but very imbalanced team. So many wings & guards, but not much rebounding & post play. If Deberry & Gabriel cant contribute, Geno is left with 3 players to help control the paint. Not enough to win a Title, imo.
In what world is this team “very imbalanced.” We may not be elite at the post level in comparison to South Carolina with Boston and now Cordoso. But I’m not sure I would use the word very imbalanced. I think your discounting AE, Liv, Dorka, AG and the rebounding ability of our guards (specifically CW and EW).
Another note, given we have such elite talent at the guard position, that is going to open up for post play. I’m assuming our players only got better over the summer...hopefully.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
This is the most balanced (and talented) team in the history of UCONN WCBB, bar none.

Post (4/5) Nelson-Ododa, Juhusz, Edwards, DeBerry, Gabriel
Small forward (3/4) Griffin, McClean, Poffenbarger
Guard/Wing (2/3) Westbrook, Williams, Ducharme
Guard Bueckers, Muhl, Fudd

Geno LOVES versatile players. But there are literally 4 players at/over the height of 6'3". And Poff and CD are both a legit 6'2". Not much rebounding and post play? If you really believe that, than in the history of UCONN WCBB, there has NEVER been a team that would satisfy you.

W

wolfe613

This is the most balanced (and talented) team in the history of UCONN WCBB, bar none.

Post (4/5) Nelson-Ododa, Juhusz, Edwards, DeBerry, Gabriel
Small forward (3/4) Griffin, McClean, Poffenbarger
Guard/Wing (2/3) Westbrook, Williams, Ducharme
Guard Bueckers, Muhl, Fudd

Geno LOVES versatile players. But there are literally 4 players at/over the height of 6'3". And Poff and CD are both a legit 6'2". Not much rebounding and post play? If you really believe that, than in the history of UCONN WCBB, there has NEVER been a team that would satisfy you.
wouldn't you say the game has changed since those Sue Bird or even maya Moore teams? Watching Arizona in that final 4 game I was shocked to see how many of their big tall players could hit the jumper, more big players are adding offense to their arsenal. You can't just be a traditional big player anymore.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I really don't care who starts, I just can't wait to watch them play this season. I did pick PB, NM, ONO, CW, and EW to begin the season. Maybe Geno will employ the Doug Bruno method of basketball so they can have pressure defense for the whole game. Another words "Take No Prisoner's" type of games.

Reaction Score
If azzi is healthy which is not a given. (According to an article last week her ankle was really bothering her.). But if she is,hard to see her not starting. PB and CW I think are no doubters. So that’s three guards but I just can’t see Geno not starting NM. He loves her. In an interview last week he even referred to her as a starter. So could he start four guards and liv? If azzi still hampered by injury fifth starter will be edwards.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
wouldn't you say the game has changed since those Sue Bird or even maya Moore teams? Watching Arizona in that final 4 game I was shocked to see how many of their big tall players could hit the jumper, more big players are adding offense to their arsenal. You can't just be a traditional big player anymore.
Arizona’s biggest starter was 6’2” Kate Reese. The other 2 starting forwards were both 6’0”. The only true big to play for AZ was reserve Lauren Ware at 6’5”. Ware was 0/1 vs UConn.

Reaction Score
Same 5 as this year.
Liv is the most vulnerable because of the number of different options + Geno seemed to suggest that she needed to improve a bunch over the summer.

Azzi, Aaliyah, & Dorka could come in for any energy boost, replacing any of the starters except Paige.

Reaction Score
Paige, CW, Olivia, Azzi, and Aaliyah. Plenty of substitutions depending on matchups and results.

Reaction Score
I think you can pencil in Deberry in as an impact/talent similar to Aaliyah at the start of last season.
Aaliyah will be a MONSTER this season.
UCONN will be fine in the paint.
I do hope Gabriel recovers from her off season surgery.
Coach states that she has slimmed down and is doing what she needs to.
This team is MUCH better than last years.
I also like the non conference schedule to press this still young team.
Can’t wait!

Reaction Score
I personally like Paige, Christyn, Evina, Aaliyah, and Olivia. Allows the floor to be balanced with shooters, rebounders, defenders and passers. Then Azzi, Nika and Dorka as the first group off the bench. Allows them to sub and maintain that floor balance.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom