• Nika

• Aaliyah

• Azzi

• Caroline

Results are only viewable after voting.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Given that several threads have morphed into "who starts", it feels like the monthly "who will start" insanity needs an outlet. :p I say that tongue-in-cheek (about the "insanity"). People love to debate it, many have very strong opinions one way or the other, so here's a poll and thread for people to have at it.

Obviously I left off Mir, Piath, Amari and Saylor. IMHO there is 0 chance any of them start so I'm not going to waste bandwidth with an "other" category. I think there is almost 0 chance Aubrey starts, but I'm adding her in just in case anyone is feeling crazy. ;)

People keep saying "Azzi didn't come to UCONN to sit on the bench". Not to sound critical of that sentiment, but there is NO player in the history of college basketball who chooses to go to any program to sit on the bench. Regardless, it's not about who starts, but rather who finishes. I don't doubt that it's POSSIBLE Azzi will get more PT than some starters, especially if they have any kind of nagging injury, or play crappy in any way, shape, or form.

Having said that, I think there is about a 1% chance that Azzi starts over Nika. Sorry for all the "Azzi must start" lovers, but Geno has heaped more praise on Nika in her first year than any other player I can remember (not named "Precious", or Kelly Faris). Say what you want, I can't foresee a scenario where he demotes a starter who he loves as much as he loves Nika, and who plays as hard and as good as she does. Just won't happen.

There's a much greater chance IMHO that he starts Aaliyah over Olivia - again, not that it will happen, but he threw down the gauntlet for Olivia at the end of last season, saying that if she stays the same player she was as a junior, a lot more offense will be run thru Aaliyah than thru Olivia (paraphrasing). That sets the stage for a change of starters should Olivia come to school next season no better than she was at the end of this past season.

Regardless, obviously all just my opinion and $.02. Have at it everyone! :D By the way, you can vote for 5.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I have the same 5 players who started the AZ game. Certainly there may well be changes to the starting lineup throughout the season.

As much as the starting 5 is an intriguing question, I am really interested in, “Who plays this season?” As deep as UConn’s roster is, a case can easily be made for a 9 player rotation, and if a few other Huskies step up, 10 or more could be possible.

Reaction Score
Paige, Nika, Evina, Christyn and Olivia start.

Second wave will be: Aaliyah, Azzi and Dorka.

There are too many variables to predict who starts after the first few games.
I agree with this scenario. I think we could see some changes after the first handful of games, if Geno feels like he needs them, but otherwise I don’t see any new faces making their way into the starting lineup.

Reaction Score
I think, as others have said, the starters at seasons start will be Paige, Nika, Evina, Christyn and Olivia. I do think that Aaliyah will have at least equal minutes with Olivia from the get go. Azzi will be the first guard off the bench spelling Evina most and Christyn second most. I think we will see more and more often as the season progresses, periods where Paige, Nika, Azzi, Aaliyah and either Christyn or Olivia are on the floor together which will be a difficult group for opponents to guard against.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
As a coward I can say without an ounce of certainty that we will start the same regular lineup as last year. Would I start the same lineup? How can I possibly know at this time, who can know, we have no crystal ball, we can't predict injuries or know who may shine or fail. One thing I feel for sure there are three locks Paige, CW, and Liv. I know Liv, yes Liv if a freshman or Soph has a poor pre-season {practices} chances are they don't start. If Liv has a poor pre-season {practices} she starts, she may loose that role but it will be because of her showing in games not practice. Geno shows his prime time players that respect.
We all hope that the incoming new players have the talent and desire to be great, some will surprise us and exceed our expectations, some may not live up to them. The 5 players with the most talent may not be the first game starters, as EricLA says it's who finishes that's the most important. If our incoming players are who we think they are Geno will have his hands full putting the puzzle together.

Reaction Score
So the question is who starts the 1st game - or who starts once the lineup is settled (i.e. their 1st or 2nd big game?)?

Reaction Score
Paige, ONO, CW, EW, AE. Dorka, Nika first ones off the bench. That’s been my starting 5 since Dorka came to UCONN. That’s the first game - after that who knows. No plan survives first contact.

Reaction Score
I think it's ok to pretend to be Geno and choose the starting five but only he will be to choose the right five. I think you really should be concerned who the five on the floor are when the game is on the line in the final minutes. That group is the most important for the team and not who starts. But I agree it will be the starting five from the end of last season and modified later with Geno's adjustments following several games. PB, EW, CW, ONO, and Nika.

Reaction Score
I chose Paige, C, E, Liv, and Dorka. Paige is better with the ball in her hands, and this lineup allows E and C to play their more natural positions. Dorka was an All-B1G member, so unless Aaliyah and outshine her, I can’t see a reason to not having her starting.

When Geno ultimately restricts the team, I can’t see him going beyond Nika, Azzi, Aaliyah, and Aubrey.

Wouldn’t mind if Caroline surprised me though

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
? I have the same 5 that started AZ. That would include Paige, along with Christyn, Liv, Evina & Aaliyah.
Do you?

329F61EB-91B2-405A-8D68-BEAE98022309.jpeg

Reaction Score
I chose Paige, C, E, Liv, and Dorka. Paige is better with the ball in her hands, and this lineup allows E and C to play their more natural positions. Dorka was an All-B1G member, so unless Aaliyah and outshine her, I can’t see a reason to not having her starting.

When Geno ultimately restricts the team, I can’t see him going beyond Nika, Azzi, Aaliyah, and Aubrey.

Wouldn’t mind if Caroline surprised me though
I disagree big time Bueckers is better on the ball. She showed next to no ability to break down defenders at this level. I believe Auriemma recognized that early and made the adjustment to run her off multiple picks. That is no absolutely no knock on her, she just did not show the quickness or deception to break people down. As I have posted before, once her signature right baseline move showed up on tape she just could not create a shot without a pick or spotting up. And again, I am in no way knocking her, she is a terrific player.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Given that several threads have morphed into "who starts", it feels like the monthly "who will start" insanity needs an outlet. :p I say that tongue-in-cheek (about the "insanity"). People love to debate it, many have very strong opinions one way or the other, so here's a poll and thread for people to have at it.

Obviously I left off Mir, Piath, Amari and Saylor. IMHO there is 0 chance any of them start so I'm not going to waste bandwidth with an "other" category. I think there is almost 0 chance Aubrey starts, but I'm adding her in just in case anyone is feeling crazy. ;)

People keep saying "Azzi didn't come to UCONN to sit on the bench". Not to sound critical of that sentiment, but there is NO player in the history of college basketball who chooses to go to any program to sit on the bench. Regardless, it's not about who starts, but rather who finishes. I don't doubt that it's POSSIBLE Azzi will get more PT than some starters, especially if they have any kind of nagging injury, or play crappy in any way, shape, or form.

Having said that, I think there is about a 1% chance that Azzi starts over Nika. Sorry for all the "Azzi must start" lovers, but Geno has heaped more praise on Nika in her first year than any other player I can remember (not named "Precious", or Kelly Faris). Say what you want, I can't foresee a scenario where he demotes a starter who he loves as much as he loves Nika, and who plays as hard and as good as she does. Just won't happen.

There's a much greater chance IMHO that he starts Aaliyah over Olivia - again, not that it will happen, but he threw down the gauntlet for Olivia at the end of last season, saying that if she stays the same player she was as a junior, a lot more offense will be run thru Aaliyah than thru Olivia (paraphrasing). That sets the stage for a change of starters should Olivia come to school next season no better than she was at the end of this past season.

Regardless, obviously all just my opinion and $.02. Have at it everyone! :D By the way, you can vote for 5.
Eric, had you not posted it, someone else would have. It's an annual rite here in the yard. Not much "new" UConn WBB news here in the yard lately. We need something to think and debate about. :) Here's something else to ponder. This is "The Boneyard". Whose bones are these? :confused: Ours or somebody else's?!?

Reaction Score
I cannot understand how one would leave Evina on the bench. She could be the 'glue' that holds the team together. This young lady is a 'giving' player with the smarts and talent to do anything necessary to win. Of course there is a ton of talent there, those deserving will see plenty of the floor. Evina=leader, leader, leader. Geno knows!

W

wolfe613

Paige, Edwards, Williams, after those 3 the rest can be interchangeable, noone really seperates themselves from the other.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I know this question was asked ( ad nauseum) last year, but not sure what the correct answer was. Does anyone know the correct answer for last year's starting lineup?

ETA, so I looked it up, and no less than eight different players started for UConn last year! So, it is safe to predict that at least eight different players will start this season.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I agree with this scenario. I think we could see some changes after the first handful of games, if Geno feels like he needs them, but otherwise I don’t see any new faces making their way into the starting lineup.
Or, like coaches do in the WNBA, pull a starter after the first quarter or so, IF it's obvious that a particular starter does not have it THAT DAY, and sub in another player hoping it's THEIR day. How many times have you looked at a box score only to see a starter played 12-18 minutes and did not score a point, while a bench player played 20-27 minutes and scored 15-20 points? To be fair, everyone has an "off day". No one is on everyday.

There will be too much talent on the bench this season for Geno to stick with a starter who is having a "cold" shooting day. In seasons past, he had little choice. THAT ship has sailed. If a reserve player comes in with a "hot hand", you leave them in..........and make sure they get their touches. Paige is a pass first PG. Don't you think once she realizes someone has a hot hand during any particular game that she will make sure she gets the ball? If she doesn't realize it, her coaches will and will tell her. :cool:

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom