• Paige

• Nika

• Aaliyah

• Azzi

• Caroline

Results are only viewable after voting.
W

wolfe613

Or, like coaches do in the WNBA, pull a starter after the first quarter or so, IF it's obvious that a particular starter does not have it THAT DAY, and sub in another player hoping it's THEIR day. How many times have you looked at a box score only to see a starter played 12-18 minutes and did not score a point, while a bench player played 20-27 minutes and scored 15-20 points? To be fair, everyone has an "off day". No one is on everyday.

There will be too much talent on the bench this season for Geno to stick with a starter who is having a "cold" shooting day. In seasons past, he had little choice. THAT ship has sailed. If a reserve player comes in with a "hot hand", you leave them in..........and make sure they get their touches. Paige is a pass first PG. Don't you think once she realizes someone has a hot hand during any particular game that she won't make sure she gets the ball? If she doesn't realize it, her coaches will and will tell her. :cool:
considering Paige is usually the one with the hot hand I would hate to see her be limited. Someone in another thread said that would be limiting her potential and I agree, it's not her job to make hear teammates better, they should want to be better players on their own. Putting her at that position because she can do more than scoring doesn't mean she should be stuck at it cause the rest of the team can't pass like her

Reaction Score
I wouldn't not start Paige or Christyn.

Olivia has seniority. Great in all facets of the game except for tendency not to put up many points against top programs.

Evina played well (though when Nika entered the starting lineup only averaged 6.9 points per game compared to 11.1 points per game the rest of the year).

The incumbents: Nika, Aaliyah and Aubrey all are impact players who are deserving of minutes and would be great starters.

The newcomers: Azzi, Caroline, Dorka all will have an impact, soon to find out.

The rest will probably need to develop their games to impact winning.

Reaction Score
I've said it already several times before........if Azzi Fudd is 100% healthy she starts every basketball game in her UConn career............defense counts for a lot............her ridiculous shooting ability and over all game is invaluable........

Reaction Score
Given that several threads have morphed into "who starts", it feels like the monthly "who will start" insanity needs an outlet. :p I say that tongue-in-cheek (about the "insanity"). People love to debate it, many have very strong opinions one way or the other, so here's a poll and thread for people to have at it.

Obviously I left off Mir, Piath, Amari and Saylor. IMHO there is 0 chance any of them start so I'm not going to waste bandwidth with an "other" category. I think there is almost 0 chance Aubrey starts, but I'm adding her in just in case anyone is feeling crazy. ;)

People keep saying "Azzi didn't come to UCONN to sit on the bench". Not to sound critical of that sentiment, but there is NO player in the history of college basketball who chooses to go to any program to sit on the bench. Regardless, it's not about who starts, but rather who finishes. I don't doubt that it's POSSIBLE Azzi will get more PT than some starters, especially if they have any kind of nagging injury, or play crappy in any way, shape, or form.

Having said that, I think there is about a 1% chance that Azzi starts over Nika. Sorry for all the "Azzi must start" lovers, but Geno has heaped more praise on Nika in her first year than any other player I can remember (not named "Precious", or Kelly Faris). Say what you want, I can't foresee a scenario where he demotes a starter who he loves as much as he loves Nika, and who plays as hard and as good as she does. Just won't happen.

There's a much greater chance IMHO that he starts Aaliyah over Olivia - again, not that it will happen, but he threw down the gauntlet for Olivia at the end of last season, saying that if she stays the same player she was as a junior, a lot more offense will be run thru Aaliyah than thru Olivia (paraphrasing). That sets the stage for a change of starters should Olivia come to school next season no better than she was at the end of this past season.

Regardless, obviously all just my opinion and $.02. Have at it everyone! :D By the way, you can vote for 5.
Sorry to disagree, Eric, but please don't bet any moolah that Azzi won't start. It's the surest thing under the rainbow. Choosing between Azzi and Paige might be a discussion, but comparing Azzi to Nika is ridiculous.
On the other hand, I believe Liv will start, but my vote is on Dorka. This year Liv will find it is possible to play herself out of the starting line-up; she is no longer nonexpendable. Very grateful that Doka's in the wings.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
As I said in an earlier thread, Geno will not replace anyone in the starting line up until a few games are in the books. Just because we have a multitude of great young players, it doesn't mean that the girls starting now are not. Geno is loyal, and respecting returning players, especially upperclassmen, will continue until the others show that they deserve to be elevated to the starting line up. Aaliyah will start on the bench, but will play major minutes as a replacement for ONO, as well as playing along side her. As I said, she will play major minutes, possibly more than ONO as the game goes on. The other vulnerable position player would ne Nika. Nika is the perfect point guard, but her reluctance to be an offensive threat might give way to Azzi. As with Aaliyah, Azzi will play major minutes, but we do not know what kind of player Nika will be this year. Her only flaw has been shooting, but the question is how has it improved, and what will her mindset be as far as being more aggressive offensively She has spent the summer in Storrs, probably working on her shooting. She will definitely start initially, but her continued status as a starter will be contingent on her shooting skills. If nothing changes, Azzi will replace her in the lineup.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
As I said in an earlier thread, Geno will not replace anyone in the starting line up until a few games are in the books. Just because we have a multitude of great young players, it doesn't mean that the girls starting now are not. Geno is loyal, and respecting returning players, especially upperclassmen, will continue until the others show that they deserve to be elevated to the starting line up. Aaliyah will start on the bench, but will play major minutes as a replacement for ONO, as well as playing along side her. As I said, she will play major minutes, possibly more than ONO as the game goes on. The other vulnerable position player would ne Nika. Nika is the perfect point guard, but her reluctance to be an offensive threat might give way to Azzi. As with Aaliyah, Azzi will play major minutes, but we do not know what kind of player Nika will be this year. Her only flaw has been shooting, but the question is how has it improved, and what will her mindset be as far as being more aggressive offensively She has spent the summer in Storrs, probably working on her shooting. She will definitely start initially, but her continued status as a starter will be contingent on her shooting skills. If nothing changes, Azzi will replace her in the lineup.
I agree with your reasoning. But I do believe there is a rationale to start Aaliyah who started the last few games of the season with Nika injured. If Aaliyah starts, Azzi’s path to a starting spot is not clear imo.

Paige, Christyn & Evina should be fixtures in the starting lineup all season. They are the best 3-guard combination in WBB. I think Liv likely starts the entire season, although she could be pushed by Dorka.

At some point, so long as she’s healthy, I would anticipate that Azzi sees more PT than Nika. But Azzi in the starting lineup, with Aaliyah on the bench is another version of a 4-guard offense. It works just fine against most UConn opponents, but it may not be as effective against teams like SC & Stanford.

Reaction Score
considering Paige is usually the one with the hot hand I would hate to see her be limited. Someone in another thread said that would be limiting her potential and I agree, it's not her job to make hear teammates better, they should want to be better players on their own. Putting her at that position because she can do more than scoring doesn't mean she should be stuck at it cause the rest of the team can't pass like her
I believe it’s every player’s responsibility to make their teammates better.
Everyone on the floor working as a cohesive unit results in a team being better than the sum of it’s parts.
Isn’t that the he UCONN way?

Reaction Score
I've said it already several times before........if Azzi Fudd is 100% healthy she starts every basketball game in her UConn career............defense counts for a lot............her ridiculous shooting ability and over all game is invaluable........
But isn't Geno's thing to not start freshman unless he has to? It would seem this year he doesn't have to since his starting five from last season are all back. Fudd also seems injury prone, so probably best to ease her into a game that's going to be 10x more physical than anything she's experienced from past seasons.

W

wolfe613

I believe it’s every player’s responsibility to make their teammates better.
Everyone on the floor working as a cohesive unit results in a team being better than the sum of it’s parts.
Isn’t that the he UCONN way?
I'm saying put her at the position she is the biggest problems to opposing teams not put her at og because others can't pass like her. The biggest argument to putting Paige at Pg is that Fudd who has yet to play a single second at Uconn is a "better shooter" than her or "better player" than Paige which I will not agree with.

Reaction Score
Paige, Azzi,CW, Liv, Dorka , then the second wave Edwards , Ervina, Nika, Ducharme,Aubrey . Rinse and repeat( with an occasional mixing) !!!

Reaction Score
Would like to see the same starters for both the season and playoffs. Better continuity including the subs. At times last year, when Geno substituted, we lost momentum. I.e. start Aaliyah. We need her in all big games.
Fan of Nika but she is far from "perfect point guard." Reluctant shooter and while she plays with a lot of enthusiasm, she is not a quick defensive guard. Games UConn played against super quick guards last year they got burnt.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I agree with your reasoning. But I do believe there is a rationale to start Aaliyah who started the last few games of the season with Nika injured. If Aaliyah starts, Azzi’s path to a starting spot is not clear imo.

Paige, Christyn & Evina should be fixtures in the starting lineup all season. They are the best 3-guard combination in WBB. I think Liv likely starts the entire season, although she could be pushed by Dorka.

At some point, so long as she’s healthy, I would anticipate that Azzi sees more PT than Nika. But Azzi in the starting lineup, with Aaliyah on the bench is another version of a 4-guard offense. It works just fine against most UConn opponents, but it may not be as effective against teams like SC & Stanford.
This is a very sticky situation, as for the first time that I can remember we have had more potential "starting players" than we have positions for. We have to evaluate each position to their value against the different opponents. This sounds complicated, but its not. I agree that Azzi will play more minutes than Nika, and I agree that Aaliyah will play more than ONO. Against the BE teams, ONO was a bear, and against the OOC teams Aaliyah was the most effective. The early games will really be interesting as Geno will try all kinds of combinations, in the backcourt and the frontcourt. We really don't know what will happen, except Geno will have many options to choose from. Still, I think the starting five in game one will be ONO, Nika, CW, EW, and Paige.

Reaction Score
I'm saying put her at the position she is the biggest problems to opposing teams not put her at og because others can't pass like her. The biggest argument to putting Paige at Pg is that Fudd who has yet to play a single second at Uconn is a "better shooter" than her or "better player" than Paige which I will not agree with.
IMO, Azzi indeed is a better shooter than Paige, but perhaps not a better all-around player...

Reaction Score
Paige, Azzi,CW, Liv, Dorka , then the second wave Edwards , Ervina, Nika, Ducharme,Aubrey . Rinse and repeat( with an occasional mixing) !!!
I said in another thread, Carolyn Doty started every game as a Senior, she was half the player she had been before her injuries. There were players on the bench who were better Stewie during the season, and Bria during the tournament.
But when someone gives everything to the team which Carolyn did, Geno respects that, and they don't lose their starting position. That is Geno, and the Uconn way.

Reaction Score
I believe, that by the end of the year, Aaliyah SHOULD be starting.
I see Aaliyah taking Giant steps.
Off season of international play with team Canada elevates here to star status.
Will give Boston all she can handle.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
But isn't Geno's thing to not start freshman unless he has to?
Sort of. I think it is Geno's thing not to start freshman unless he has to, but sometimes their ability is the reason he has to.

Reaction Score
Sort of. I think it is Geno's thing not to start freshman unless he has to, but sometimes their ability is the reason he has to.
In this case there isn't a talent deficit at any position to require it. His starting five from last season took him to the final four, and they all return. It's not like he needs a guard or help in the front court - the team is deep and experienced enough at all positions as is. Even without this year's freshmen, we're a heavy favorite to get back to the final four.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Sorry to disagree, Eric, but please don't bet any moolah that Azzi won't start. It's the surest thing under the rainbow. Choosing between Azzi and Paige might be a discussion, but comparing Azzi to Nika is ridiculous.
On the other hand, I believe Liv will start, but my vote is on Dorka. This year Liv will find it is possible to play herself out of the starting line-up; she is no longer nonexpendable. Very grateful that Doka's in the wings.
If Azzi starts the first game, it will be to replace Olivia, not Nika. Of course this is assuming everyone is healthy. But we will get to revisit this come November for sure. And don't be sorry to disagree - everyone has an opinion.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I've been thinking about WHO STARTS all weekend. I've come to this conclusion................at least two very talented and deserving players are going to have to come off the bench this year, and that's OK. You can come off the bench and be just as valuable an asset to your team as starters are. Let's not forget than when a coach subs a player out, he/she wants the team to maintain the same chemistry and flow before the substitution. Also, sometimes a team can get off to a slow start, and play with little or no energy or emotion. That's where your 6th man comes in. To bring energy, add that "spark", that "kick in the butt" that the team needs to get going. That player can't do that if she's a starter.

THAT is where Geno will earn his salary this year. He's got to find the right combination of starters, and the right combination players that will be first off the bench to ensure there is no drop off when substitutions are made. If you've got your foot on a team's chest, you want to keep it there. No let up. No taking your foot off the gas. At no point in the game do you want a team to think they have a chance to win the game. I once heard an opposing coach remark after a loss to UConn, that she could not tell the difference when Geno took his starters out and brought in 5 subs. The subs picked up where the starters left off, played with energy and purpose...........and kept their foot on the gas. It was their time to shine. They not only held the lead, they increased it. They wanted to show Geno and the world what they could do, and gain more of his trust.

THAT is the kind of "consistent" play you want from your team. Remember what Geno said about Aaliyah Edwards last year? He said that he NEVER had any reservations about putting her in the game, and he was NEVER concerned about her not making plays and playing hard. Aaliyah had a role last year and she knew what it was, and she worked it. Last year was her "period of adjustment." With a full year's experience now under her belt, and the experience and exposure she's getting from the Canadian National Team in international competition, I expect to see a new and improved Aaliyah Edwards this year. Edwards is a serious no-non-sense person. She's dead serious about her game and her role on this team.

I really don't care who starts. I merely want the players that do get into the game to know their role, put in work, and do what they do. Fulfill your role, whatever your role is. If Geno only needs you for 10 minutes a game, them be prepared and willing to give him THE BEST 10 minutes you've got!! If each one of our girls can do that, we're going to be very hard to beat. Once you begin to put 30-40 point MOV "consistently" on your opponents, nobody is going to want to play you. Other teams watch SportsCenter and read the sports sections of the local and national newspapers. They know what the other teams are doing. ;)

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
In this case there isn't a talent deficit at any position to require it. His starting five from last season took him to the final four, and they all return. It's not like he needs a guard or help in the front court - the team is deep and experienced enough at all positions as is. Even without this year's freshmen, we're a heavy favorite to get back to the final four.
I don't disagree with any of that. I will say that I believe that Geno will start a freshman if her talent justifies independent of whether there exists a "talent deficit." In any event the wealth of talent we should have with next year's team is a happy problem to have. How Geno works it out will be interesting to say the least.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
This thread made me look up and revisit last year's 'who will start?' threads. Some people actually got most things right.
That's because there are a "plethora" of WCBB fans here from all over the country that have seen/played/been around basketball long enough to know the game and how it should be played. They are reasonable in their knowledge, approach and expectations of the game and certain players. They know without a doubt what it takes to win a championship, and can judge talent and see a player's (sometimes latent or untapped) potential to basically know what they're talking about. If you hang around here long enough, you'll figure out who they are. ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom