• Aubrey

• Paige

• Nika

• Aaliyah

• Azzi

• Caroline

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction Score
But isn't Geno's thing to not start freshman unless he has to? It would seem this year he doesn't have to since his starting five from last season are all back. Fudd also seems injury prone, so probably best to ease her into a game that's going to be 10x more physical than anything she's experienced from past seasons.
under normal circumstances I'm pretty sure he would start a senior player but is so advanced offensively that not starting her would be really difficult.............having such a wealth of talent is a wonderful but tricky situation

Reaction Score
Tough problem to have. Too many good players to decide who starts. I see Paige and Christyn as "for sure". The rest could go a lot of ways. Some physical, some psychological things to consider. I do believe that if ONO doesn't come back with stronger hands and attitude, she plays 15 minutes at best.
ONO is way too important to the team defensively to only play fifteen minutes.........when you block shots and intimidate in the lane the way she does scoring points is secondary..........besides will be adding 15-18 points per game to make up any shortfall..........

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
November: Liv, "E", CW, Nika, Paige
February: Dorka, Aaliyah, Azzi, Nika, Paige with 6th person Caroline

Reaction Score
ONO is way too important to the team defensively to only play fifteen minutes.........when you block shots and intimidate in the lane the way she does scoring points is secondary..........besides will be adding 15-18 points per game to make up any shortfall..........
At this stage, I don't believe she will only get 15 minutes but I don't believe that for a team that strives to reach it's peak should deliberately limit themselves to "scoring points is secondary." IMO the same can be said about Defense. A player that gives you nothing defensively is not what should be strived for either. They should strive for both. Maybe UCONN can get away with it- but it shouldn't be strived for.

To further the issue regarding Liv, her blocked shots and intimidation were useless against the only 2 teams that beat UCONN last year - the small teams that don't live much on the inside. On the flip side if Edwards and Dorka show they can hit their free throws while Liv shows little offensive improvement- the more minutes to Dorka and Edwards may be enough to still beat the big teams while also they would have an impact vs the small teams.

IMO for a team that wants to strive to continually improve then you can't just rely on "Paige and Azzi" (i.e the perimeter game only) to keep bailing out a sub-par inside game. Heck, even the Senior POY Sue Bird and the super-soph DT in 01-02 bricked every single 3 they took in championship game vs Oklahoma. They needed Cash, Jones and Tamika. Paige and Azzi (and the perimeter players need help. I have no doubt Edwards is capable. But it would be nice to also have a 2nd inside alternative.) shouldn't be forced upon to do it alone. If the more experienced DT and Bird can have a "brick game" then so can Paige and Azzi. Other weapons (Dorka and Edwards) on the inside potentially can make this team much stronger.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Dagnabit! I told y’all already! These are the starters!!
1. Legend
2. AA
3. FOY
4. AA
5. DPOY

Reaction Score
I see Paige, CW, Evina, and Ono starting in November. But the fifth… not sure. I think we’ll see Azzi, because how could you not? But also… Nika and Aaliyah have been stellar so they are more than deserving. And honestly, in big games, I see only a 7 player rotation until the lead gets big enough. Maybe in those games Aubrey and dorka will get a couple minutes sprinkled in but I imagine a core seven. And not to throw shade at this player but in my opinion it seems the vast majority of the boneyard has Caroline way overrated, I hope you are all right and I’m wrong. I anticipate very few minutes for Saylor, Piath, Mir, and Caroline. I’d like to be pleasantly surprised by amari and see her get some quality time.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I see Paige, CW, Evina, and Ono starting in November. But the fifth… not sure. I think we’ll see Azzi, because how could you not? But also… Nika and Aaliyah have been stellar so they are more than deserving. And honestly, in big games, I see only a 7 player rotation until the lead gets big enough. Maybe in those games Aubrey and dorka will get a couple minutes sprinkled in but I imagine a core seven. And not to throw shade at this player but in my opinion it seems the vast majority of the boneyard has Caroline way overrated, I hope you are all right and I’m wrong. I anticipate very few minutes for Saylor, Piath, Mir, and Caroline. I’d like to be pleasantly surprised by amari and see her get some quality time.
Good thing Geno is far more optimistic than you about Dorka and Caroline.

W

wolfe613

Good thing Geno is far more optimistic than you about Dorka and Caroline.
it's summer workouts I would put hardly any or no stock at all. They're not going against teams or playing in games it's scrimmages. I would bet there is 0% chance Dorka starts, she just transferred and all of a sudden she's gonna jump over a sr who's been at Uconn for 3+ years? Fat chance

Reaction Score
My guess is EW (PG), Paige, Azzi, CW, ONO are the initial starters. Geno likes to reward seniors (especially EW coming back surprisingly). So, he can say has a proven, senior-led team even if Azzi starts.
I like that line up. I'd like to see Nika get a lot of minutes subbing for EW, legend, and CW. The bigs will get more minutes when Geno needs to go big.

Reaction Score
At this stage, I don't believe she will only get 15 minutes but I don't believe that for a team that strives to reach it's peak should deliberately limit themselves to "scoring points is secondary." IMO the same can be said about Defense. A player that gives you nothing defensively is not what should be strived for either. They should strive for both. Maybe UCONN can get away with it- but it shouldn't be strived for.

To further the issue regarding Liv, her blocked shots and intimidation were useless against the only 2 teams that beat UCONN last year - the small teams that don't live much on the inside. On the flip side if Edwards and Dorka show they can hit their free throws while Liv shows little offensive improvement- the more minutes to Dorka and Edwards may be enough to still beat the big teams while also they would have an impact vs the small teams.

IMO for a team that wants to strive to continually improve then you can't just rely on "Paige and Azzi" (i.e the perimeter game only) to keep bailing out a sub-par inside game. Heck, even the Senior POY Sue Bird and the super-soph DT in 01-02 bricked every single 3 they took in championship game vs Oklahoma. They needed Cash, Jones and Tamika. Paige and Azzi (and the perimeter players need help. I have no doubt Edwards is capable. But it would be nice to also have a 2nd inside alternative.) shouldn't be forced upon to do it alone. If the more experienced DT and Bird can have a "brick game" then so can Paige and Azzi. Other weapons (Dorka and Edwards) on the inside potentially can make this team much stronger.
I look forward to watching DJ this season but we should remember that she is career 29.4% three point shooter and a 55.6% free throw shooter..............from what I've seen her ability to finish inside is the area that stands out in comparison to ONO.......

Reaction Score
I look forward to watching DJ this season but we should remember that she is career 29.4% three point shooter and a 55.6% free throw shooter..............from what I've seen her ability to finish inside is the area that stands out in comparison to ONO.......

I agree. Right now Dorka is a bigger question. If she can't hit free throws then she won't be that effective.

Reaction Score
November: Liv, "E", CW, Nika, Paige
February: Dorka, Aaliyah, Azzi, Nika, Paige with 6th person Caroline
I just can’t see any world where Nika is starting. I could be very wrong, but given the wealth of talent, I see her as the guard who comes in off the bench for bueckers who brings energy and defense.

she mainly started last year out of necessity in a guard heavy lineup. With the addition of a high level guard in fudd and the emergence of edwards and dorka in the post, we have more options to balance the floor.

Reaction Score
I just can’t see any world where Nika is starting. I could be very wrong, but given the wealth of talent, I see her as the guard who comes in off the bench for bueckers who brings energy and defense....

"No, I’m not happy [with the rotation]. I’m not as happy as if we had Nika 100 percent,” he said. “If we had Nika 100 percent, we’re a different basketball team. Much different basketball team.” Geno Auriemma from Alexa Philippou article, Hartford Courant 4/1/2021

I feel that Geno has a different take as you as to what Nika brings to the table. As we all may recall, Geno was high on Nika from the day she arrived at Storrs, and has continued to be so right through her slow start the first half of the season, her tears and resultant response to his challenge to her, right up through his regrets that he didn't have her healthy for the NCAA tournament.

Nika is who Geno has wanted at the point. He had real options of either Paige or Evina playing that position, which seemingly to the majority of posters on the boneyard were the better choices. He saw what Nika could potentially bring to make the team better and has acknowledged that that is exactly what she did as the season progressed.

Why it seems like such a stretch to many that he would feel the same way going into next season, is beyond me. With Nika at point along with Paige, Azzi and Christyn outside, when he goes with a four guard offense, will be a huge problem for opposing defenses. That group would provide solid ball handling, great movement, multiple options, exceptional passing, and tremendous shooting efficiency. Couple that with tremendous options inside whether with one big with the group above or two bigs on the floor with three guards.

I think unless Nika regresses (which I think would be shocking) she will continue to be a key piece in Geno's vision for the team next season and the couple beyond.

Reaction Score
"No, I’m not happy [with the rotation]. I’m not as happy as if we had Nika 100 percent,” he said. “If we had Nika 100 percent, we’re a different basketball team. Much different basketball team.” Geno Auriemma from Alexa Philippou article, Hartford Courant 4/1/2021

I feel that Geno has a different take as you as to what Nika brings to the table. As we all may recall, Geno was high on Nika from the day she arrived at Storrs, and has continued to be so right through her slow start the first half of the season, her tears and resultant response to his challenge to her, right up through his regrets that he didn't have her healthy for the NCAA tournament.

Nika is who Geno has wanted at the point. He had real options of either Paige or Evina playing that position, which seemingly to the majority of posters on the boneyard were the better choices. He saw what Nika could potentially bring to make the team better and has acknowledged that that is exactly what she did as the season progressed.

Why it seems like such a stretch to many that he would feel the same way going into next season, is beyond me. With Nika at point along with Paige, Azzi and Christyn outside, when he goes with a four guard offense, will be a huge problem for opposing defenses. That group would provide solid ball handling, great movement, multiple options, exceptional passing, and tremendous shooting efficiency. Couple that with tremendous options inside whether with one big with the group above or two bigs on the floor with three guards.

I think unless Nika regresses (which I think would be shocking) she will continue to be a key piece in Geno's vision for the team next season and the couple beyond.
Yeah, obviously she brings things to the table and is a valued player. I don’t disagree with that whatsoever and don’t think I insinuated that. I just think the chemical composition of this upcoming seasons roster is so much different than last year that it provides different looks and opportunities. What may have been the best option last year may no longer be the best option this year. And that is something worth evaluating. I see Nika playing a big part in our guard rotation, I just see it coming as a spark off the bench.

I think last year, Paige was being asked to be the go to scorer due to a lack of shot makers. Therefore Nika provided the opportunity to move her off the ball. With Azzi and the emergence of late season CW, the importance of having Bueckers play off the ball could be less vital. There are more shot makers to put on the floor, and Paige is still the better passer of the two. He can’t go wrong either way, but I think there’s a strong possibility she’s an important player in the guard rotation, just coming off the bench.

Only time will tell and I trust Geno will make the best decision. He knows a lot more than any of us.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom