• Nika

• Aaliyah

• Azzi

• Caroline

Results are only viewable after voting.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I personally like Paige, Christyn, Evina, Aaliyah, and Olivia. Allows the floor to be balanced with shooters, rebounders, defenders and passers. Then Azzi, Nika and Dorka as the first group off the bench. Allows them to sub and maintain that floor balance.
I like your rotation, but note one omission. Aubrey creates instant energy when she comes into the game by creating general havoc with an opposing team’s offense. Geno will continue to use her to provide that defensive energy as he did when UConn roared back against Baylor in their 19-0 run.

Reaction Score
The full court pressure defense squad: Nika, Aubrey, Christyn, Aaliyah, Olivia
The zone buster squad: Paige, Azzi, Caroline, Christyn, Dorka

Reaction Score
I like your rotation, but note one omission. Aubrey creates instant energy when she comes into the game by creating general havoc with an opposing team’s offense. Geno will continue to use her to provide that defensive energy as he did when UConn roared back against Baylor in their 19-0 run.

This is why this year it's brutal to make up a starting lineup and to go further- to predict the next core beyond the starting 5. I think looking at this team as an overview, as long as Azzi is healthy, the flaw in this team vs other tough teams is inside scoring. Eventually, even DT and Bird in 01-02 (missed every 3 they took vs Oklahoma in the title game) needed big time inside scoring help.

In terms of Aubrey - it can go many ways. and exciting to see how it plays out. Dorka is one of the wildcards. I think the big key with her is if she can hit free throws. If she can hit her free throws it means ta least she is an inside threat. If she can't hit her free throws, then more than likely her .396 from 3 in 19-20 was an aberration. If she can't hit her free throws then it means UCONN can't rely on her to score inside unless she is wide open. The elite teams aren't going to make it that easy. But -- if she can hit her free throws then it means Aubrey (or Liv) may get eventually squeezed if one or both remain a struggle offensively.

Overall UCONN wants to push pace. Not play in a 55-54 grind game. As a result Geno is looking for offense. If Dorka is a legit threat offensively then as the podcast UconnCat posted a while back in which Geno speaks of that he wants 5 weapons on the floor - this will put pressure on Aubrey's minutes (and/or Livs). I don't think Geno is looking for a defensive stopper. I think he expects his team to be able to play good defense and not have to play 5 on 4 on offense.

MdStang

Greetings From Geezerville
Reaction Score
I know this is a minority opinion but last night I watched the OSU/MD Big Ten championship replay from March 2020. Dorka, a soph. at the time, was easily the best player for OSU with 20 points including 4 of 7 from the 3 point line. All tournament selection. A starting five that includes Dorka could spread the floor effectively for outside shooting (Paige, CW and Dorka), driving/midrange shots (Paige, Evina and CW) and post play (Liv and Dorka).

Starting five:
Paige
Evina
CW
Dorka
Liv

Next five with plenty of minutes:
Nika
Azzi
Aliyah
Aubrey
Caroline

Mop-up and situational all stars:
Mir
Saylor
Piath

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Personally we have never seen geno switch a starting line up at the start of a season when all 5 of his starters return
On the other hand, he put Paige in ahead of existing players. Starters are starters for a reason. It is tough to replace someone who already understands UConn schemes and plays with the energy and intensity necessary to be a starter at Connecticut. So I don’t think that Auriemma is necessarily adverse to it, I just think that it is rare when you have a generational talent coming in who would justify it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Personally we have never seen geno switch a starting line up at the start of a season when all 5 of his starters return
The only time I can think it happened was Hartley's junior year and I think that was largely because of a lingering foot issue that just took its toll on her shooting..

Reaction Score
On the other hand, he put Paige in ahead of existing players. Starters are starters for a reason. It is tough to replace someone who already understands UConn schemes and plays with the energy and intensity necessary to be a starter at Connecticut. So I don’t think that Auriemma is necessarily adverse to it, I just think that it is rare when you have a generational talent coming in who would justify it.
Hence the key words here being “returning starters” but I do understand your point! I just think in relation to last year especially, Anna started at the top of the season based off of her starting the year prior then was replaced by a couple of different options as the season went on. I think that’s what we may see this season but with the team we return I’m doubtful we will see much change in the starting lineup! Although I do see Aaliyah starting in place of Nika this season.

Reaction Score
Need Azzi to start if she is as good as advertised. And all indications are she as is as good as the "hype".

Reaction Score
My guess is EW (PG), Paige, Azzi, CW, ONO are the initial starters. Geno likes to reward seniors (especially EW coming back surprisingly). So, he can say has a proven, senior-led team even if Azzi starts.

Reaction Score
I honestly think Azzi will come off the bench as a scoring spark. I think Geno really wanted to use Paige that way last year but there were spots to be filled and she was clearly the best player on the team. But if she’s that talented where Geno can’t refuse her a starting spot that’ll also be amazing.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
After reading Geno's comments on Azzi, no way she is not a starter.
I would bet almost everything I own that Azzi will not start the 1st game in November. Unless there are injuries or some other extenuating circumstances. We can revisit this come November, though. ;)

It will be fascinating to see what happens. Geno will have some amazing options to choose from...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I would bet almost everything I own that Azzi will not start the 1st game in November. Unless there are injuries or some other extenuating circumstances. We can revisit this come November, thought.
I agree with you, but betting everything you own on it? I am definitely not that confident. If Nika loses her starting spot, I'd prefer she lose it to Aaliyah. I think the team looked best last year when it was Nika, Paige, CW, ONO, and Aaliyah. Everyone was kind of in their perfect spot with that lineup to maximize their talent. I think it's not about just taking the five best players talent wise and saying those are your starters. It's like Geno said about the Olympic team that you have to have the complimentary pieces and not just those that are most talented.

Reaction Score
As a coward I can say without an ounce of certainty that we will start the same regular lineup as last year. Would I start the same lineup? How can I possibly know at this time, who can know, we have no crystal ball, we can't predict injuries or know who may shine or fail. One thing I feel for sure there are three locks Paige, CW, and Liv. I know Liv, yes Liv if a freshman or Soph has a poor pre-season {practices}Gen
Geno plays whoever is playing best in practice. Look for Azzi and Dorka to be starting at some point during the year, maybe even the first game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom