What was the Boneyard Like? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

What was the Boneyard Like?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I went on a road trip to Philly to see the guys play ‘Nova in the afternoon and the women play ‘Nova in the evening. Brett the list mom was my roomie. Nova fans threw bottles at our bus after the men’s victory, fun times

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
We took the mojo much more seriously in those days.

I was thinking about that just this weekend. Mojo, totems...no one talks about it anymore.

I remember the Taliek debate starting in Jan 04, I think, and the Boneyard gained some public notoriety. I'd consider that the first schism on the board. Seems like quite a few old timers left after that.

I usually take January and February off from the board becuase the hand wringing gets so pervasive. There is way more personal enmity now than there ever was before. I remember as we got close to tourney time in 99 the raging debate was whether Rip should focus on shooting 3s or taking it to the whole. It was about 50/50 and then more and more people were convinced that he should go to the hole. Finally, I realized I was the last one to argue that he needed to be a jump shooter and I asked "Am I the only one who thinks he should be shooting 3s?' And Fishy politely said, yup, in so many words. No one called me a (posted it anyways haha) or criticized me, or ganged up on me or whined about me. I stopped arguing that point, it was forgotten, Rip made a habit of going to the hole and we won our first NC. Later, as JC reflected on the NC he made it a point to say that the decision to have Rip penetrate more was essential for UConn's success. Not a single poster ever threw that back in my face.

We weren't assholes back then, we were UConn fans.

Reaction Score
and don't forget BCAlum, they were a tag team

I think the "smack" guy you're talking about had to change his user names a lot because he was always being banned, but he kept "smack" in all of them

Don't forget the infamous “IAYF” name he used which was short for the line I am your father of Star Wars Fame.

He actually took a month off from posting after Diamond Ferri personally wrecked Boston Colleges big east football championship hopes in 03 I think. It was a lock they would win but in true BC fashion they somehow blew it. Funny thing was he was crowing all week about the championship and it absolutely ruined him. Almost felt sorry for him. Almost.

Last time I ever enjoyed anything Cuse did in sports....

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I remember the Taliek debate starting in Jan 04, I think, and the Boneyard gained some public notoriety. I'd consider that the first schism on the board. Seems like quite a few old timers left after that.

The Taliek debate started years earlier. I distinctly remember complaining about him as a freshman and being lectured by Fishy, who somehow analogized warming up to Taliek to the process of drawing a bath and getting my "undercarriage" acclimated to the water.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Agree with the venom part but Taliek couldn't shoot and when he penetrated he rarely finished and if he was fouled he missed his FTs. He was an offensive liability and that is where all the criticism originated. It was when the criticism became personal that it became distasteful.
On defense he was tenacious and nobody ever questioned his desire and effort.

For an offensive liability, he sure did put up some numbers. He had over 1,000 pts and 700 assists. One of the few guys to ever do that. Average 5.4 assists over his career. With 6.5 per his senior year. Could rebound a bit.

Don't know if these held up, but he was the career assist leader at UCONN for awhile.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Where there's heat, there's fire. When you're floundering in a garbage conference with a coach that looks lost, it's tough conjuring up that extra somethin' to will them to win 6 straight games in March.
That's why we leave it to the professionals. Get 'er done.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I'm patiently waiting for this thread to turn into a passionate debate about Taliek...
I still maintain that we won the NC despite him. And he almost blew it by dribbling the ball off his foot down the stretch in the semi-final vs. Duke.

jk...kinda...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I still maintain that we won the NC despite him. And he almost blew it by dribbling the ball off his foot down the stretch in the semi-final vs. Duke.

jk...kinda...
I thought that was Bazz against KY.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I thought that was Bazz against KY.
I was at both of them but I don't recall that moment in the KY game. I definitely remember Taliek losing the ball on a critical possession down the stretch of the Duke game.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Don't forget the infamous “IAYF” name he used which was short for the line I am your father of Star Wars Fame.

He actually took a month off from posting after Diamond Ferri personally wrecked Boston Colleges big east football championship hopes in 03 I think. It was a lock they would win but in true BC fashion they somehow blew it. Funny thing was he was crowing all week about the championship and it absolutely ruined him. Almost felt sorry for him. Almost.

Last time I ever enjoyed anything Cuse did in sports....

And despite their exalted conference affiliation, the Beagles will always be 0-fer the BCS, while we are not! 1 > 0.

Reaction Score
For an offensive liability, he sure did put up some numbers. He had over 1,000 pts and 700 assists. One of the few guys to ever do that. Average 5.4 assists over his career. With 6.5 per his senior year. Could rebound a bit.

Don't know if these held up, but he was the career assist leader at UCONN for awhile.

I'm still wondering why people questioned his ability. But hey they took it in stride.:oops:

Reaction Score
I started on the old ESPN boards, where I would typically interact with fans from other Big East schools.

BC fans were by far the most abrasive, they believed they were Dook (or us) in basketball and ND in football. They just had no sense of reality

Then there was one dude who called himself "TruthaboutUConn", and every one of his posts was about bashing UConn. He once even said that everyone in CT lived in trailer parks, a very delusion perspective of things, but I do remember him to this day.

Certainly true about Greenwich and New Canaan.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I was at both of them but I don't recall that moment in the KY game. I definitely remember Taliek losing the ball on a critical possession down the stretch of the Duke game.

And this statement says it all. Don't remember Bazz @#$&ing up, but I sure do remember Taliek. Priceless. haha

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I'm still wondering why people questioned his ability. But hey they took it in stride.:oops:

I know they're both from the same neighborhood in Queens, but I don't think Kenny Smith would have wasted his time working out with Taliek during the summers if he thought he was nothing but a talentless loser.

That said, I'm still not happy that he turned the ball over like a drunken sailor during the last two minutes of the Texas game we attended in Austin when he was a freshman in 2001. He turned a five point lead with two minutes left into a loss. ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom