What was the Boneyard Like? | The Boneyard

What was the Boneyard Like?

Reaction Score
Honest question:

What was/would have the Boneyard been like back in, say, 2004?

Reaction Score
Honest question:

What was/would have the Boneyard been like back in, say, 2004?
f7cacae20ec1acfd86fc984b5ab8f38f--monkey-business-coup-detat.jpg

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
2003-2004??

Faded memories.

1. Taliek Brown FT shooting was definitely discussed.
2. Taliek Brown playing too fast and out of control.
3. Taliek Brown over penetrating without a game plan.
4. How did Denham Brown ever score 111 points in a Canadian game
5. The size of Rashad's nuts for all his big shots
6. Why can't Ben Gordon score consistently
7. Marcus Williams and laptops
8. How to manage Okafor's back injuries
9. Is UConn best team ever in BE

I'm sure there's a bunch more.

Horatio

I’m Heat Miser and your Rudolph…
Reaction Score
I didn't have a profile back then but the talk was mainly about Taliek and mostly about him playing too fast / out of control.

Reaction Score
I didn't have a profile back then but the talk was mainly about Taliek and mostly about him playing too fast / out of control.
And all the criticism was well founded. Different story on defense though.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Not nearly as different as most people think.

IIRC, other hot topics included:

1. Pepe's or Sally's?
2. JC's quick hook. Good or Bad?
3. Looking for a new car. Recommendations?
4. What's up with this microbrew fab?
5. Red Sox choking again. 86 Years !!!
6. Patriots? Yeah, they cheat.
7. Syracuse only won a championship because they rented Carmelo.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I think we were in between networks at that time, so I likely have the script and posts from the time. I still haven’t found a way to recover the data from the mid 1990’s hard drive. I also have everything from 1998/99, including the March 29, 1999 chat, which was an incredible night.

If anyone here has actual experience in recovering data from old drives, shoot me an email or PM.

For now:

A640B78B-4EBA-4496-8081-4EE90281FC99.gif

Wayback Machine

Wayback Machine (Includes 98/99)

IIRC, other hot topics included:

1. Pepe's or Sally's?
2. JC's quick hook. Good or Bad?
3. Looking for a new car. Recommendations?
4. What's up with this microbrew fab?
5. Red Sox choking again. 86 Years !!!
6. Patriots? Yeah, they cheat.
7. Syracuse only won a championship because they rented Carmelo.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Technology was a much different. Youtube wasn't what it is now and recruiting information and highlight videos werent anywhere near as readily available.

I was a lot more active back then.

I has subscriptions to the three big recruiting sites. I made my own site (UConnRecruiting.net) a free site with just UConn recruits. I would kind of average out the rankings and strengths and weaknesses of each player UConn was recruiting. There was also McD's UConn site way back in the day which is how I (and many others) found the boneyard.

Myself, @Marat, and a guy named Matt (cant remember his screen name) made most of the highlight videos (very painstakingly).

I used to record the games to my computer (basically a computer based DVR) to make highlight videos, and to put the games on DVD for my collection, and for my Boneyard friends who missed games. That was amazing technology back then.

A bunch of us used to go to various summer events and do write ups on UConn recruits here on the boneyard. Again, there wasnt much info out there on recruits except for "the big three" subscription recruiting sites. (I once spent a memorable afternoon puking my guts out at ABCD camp in New Jersey with @Fishy, @HooperScooper, and @DogMania)

Back then I Posted "scrimmage reports" here in the summer, before I was officially covering the team. I had a connection that would let me know what time the kids were scrimmaging each day, and I would go watch the games and post summaries. A few Boneyarders came out to check out scrimmages. I remember @mauconnfan coming down one day, I think @HooperScooper may have come once too.

At one point around then we had a "premium board" as well with more exclusive and inside info. At that time Fishy and Tom took over Husky Blue & White newspaper and turned it into a magazine, which I thought was really cool. With a subscription to the premium site you got the magazine as well, if I remember right. I always loved Husky Blue and White growing up, so it was a real thrill that I got to write some articles for it, alongside Gavin Keefe, Phil Chardis, and a few others. I still have copies in storage somewhere in a box.

A lot of the regulars from then are still here. It was a fun time. Fishy was in full "Fishy" mode (He has mellowed a bit over time). We had a wood chipper, some weird cluster oak award, and Boneyard Golf events where people got drunk and flipped over golf carts. I think Boneyard hangings were introduced around that time also (maybe a couple years earlier).

Ahhhh, the good old days.

Reaction Score
I've always been a little confused as to the progression of the boneyard. I first discovered a bunch of like-minded UConn "fans" on the AOL and CompuServe message boards back when I was a teenager and discovered the interwebs. That was definitely 96 or so because I distinctly remember reading/writing/criticizing JC and his terrible half court offense after our loss to Mississippi St. 97 was the year of Rickety Moore and I will put his bashing up against anyone's, Taliek's included. Jeff Kulas was the resident recruiting expert and I remember McD's site as well as DNASoft who had a UConn-centric recruiting website.

At some point those boards died and I was transferred to Toto email listserv. And then what seemed like a tennis match between TOS and Scout. Was there a parallel UConn universe within there?

Reaction Score
Taliek was killed here. He beat the ball into the ground and didn't run offense.

Okafor's back was a huge concern. The Utah/Georgia Tech games at the garden were not pretty.

Reaction Score
Technology was a much different. Youtube wasn't what it is now and recruiting information and highlight videos werent anywhere near as readily available.

I has subscriptions to the three big recruiting sites. I made my own site (UConnRecruiting.net) a free site with just UConn recruits. I would kind of average out the rankings and strengths and weaknesses of each player UConn was recruiting. There was also McD's UConn site way back in the day which is how I (and many others) found the boneyard.

Myself, @Marat, and a guy named Matt (cant remember his screen name) made most of the highlight videos (very painstakingly).

I used to record the games to my computer (basically a computer based DVR) to make highlight videos, and to put the games on DVD for my collection, and for my Boneyard friends who missed games. That was amazing technology back then.

A bunch of us used to go to various summer events and do write ups on UConn recruits here on the boneyard. Again, there wasnt much info out there on recruits except for "the big three" subscription recruiting sites. (I once spent a memorable afternoon puking my guts out at ABCD camp in New Jersey with @Fishy, @HooperScooper, and @DogMania)

Back then I Posted "scrimmage reports" here in the summer, before I was officially covering the team. I had a connection that would let me know what time the kids were scrimmaging each day, and I would go watch the games and post summaries. A few Boneyarders came out to check out scrimmages. I remember @mauconnfan coming down one day, I think @HooperScooper may have come once too.

At one point around then we had a "premium board" as well with more exclusive and inside info. At that time Fishy and Tom took over Husky Blue & White newspaper and turned it into a magazine, which I thought was really cool. With a subscription to the premium site you got the magazine as well, if I remember right. I always loved Husky Blue and White growing up, so it was a real thrill that I got to write some articles for it, alongside Gavin Keefe, Phil Chardis, and a few others. I still have copies in storage somewhere in a box.

A lot of the regulars from then are still here. It was a fun time. Fishy was in full "Fishy" mode (He has mellowed a bit over time). We had a wood chipper, some weird cluster oak award, and Boneyard Golf events where people got drunk and flipped over golf carts. I think Boneyard hangings were introduced around that time also (maybe a couple years earlier).

Those were the good old days, the school was doing well and growing in all sports. We had great coaches and assistant coaches, only bad thing we had was Captain Binghamton for an athletic director, and Wilton Parmenter for conference commissioner. Those last two pieces to UCONN's puzzle are the reasons UConn is where it is today.

Reaction Score

I never knew what the difference was between a fan and a casual fan. Now I do.

pj

Reaction Score
The Boneyard was a little smarter back then I think -- more humor and less repetition of the same complaints over and over again. At least that is how I remember it, maybe because the times were better and there was more optimism.

Reaction Score
One of my biggest regrets is that i didn't find the Yard until May 1999. I saw all these crazies and wished I had discovered this place before 77-74.

Then, in the summer of 2000, we had a Yard day at Fenway. Met everyone for the first time at Jillians before...and after. We all had seats in the right field stands. Drank a ton of beer. Fishy showed up late for the game.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I'm sure when Calhoun was awarded the "Uncoach of the Year", many people agreed and embraced such idiocy

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom