What are you binge watching? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

What are you binge watching?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Love both of those. My gripe with Derry Girls is the season is too short.

My daughter was watching Derry Girls yesterday afternoon. Too bad we won't be bringing her to Derry this June as planned.

Reaction Score
Currently bingeing The Looming Tower on HULU. It stars Jeff Daniels (The Newsroom) & is about the competition between the FBI & the CIA to capture Osama bin Laden starting in 1998 and the failure of these two agencies to transparently share information. It insinuates that if they HAD shared intelligence the 9-11 disaster may have been avoided.

Reaction Score
(Sheepish reveal) Also watching with the Mrs.: Various editions of the Great British Baking Show on Netflix. Being a fanatic about various breads, pastries & cakes, I find these competitions amazing. I also have the urge to eat a whole babka, stollen, or multilayer cake after each episode.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Over the past couple months, I've watched the new seasons of Ozark, Narcos, and Mindhunter completed Money Heist and The Crown, and some one-offs, it now seems pickings are starting to get rather slim. Watched Extraction on Saturday. It was a solid, if humorless, shoot 'em up set in Bangladesh, nothing special, but excellent camera work. Waco put me to sleep multiple times, but the finale was good. Did both seasons of After Life, which is quirky, but I found I liked the characters and there was one scene in S1/E4 that was the funniest thing I've seen all year. Now watching the Kominsky Method which I'm enjoying, although the casting of Alan Arkin (fabulous in this) and Michael Douglas (pretty good) contstantly reminds me of why the original In-Laws was one of the best comedies ever and the remake sucked goat balls.

Also been looking at stand-ups I haven't seen before. Most did not hit my funny bone, but the Kyle Kinane segment of The Standups certainly did. Joe List not bad either.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Over the past couple months, I've watched the new seasons of Ozark, Narcos, and Mindhunter completed Money Heist and The Crown, and some one-offs, it now seems pickings are starting to get rather slim. Watched Extraction on Saturday. It was a solid, if humorless, shoot 'em up set in Bangladesh, nothing special, but excellent camera work. Waco put me to sleep multiple times, but the finale was good. Did both seasons of After Life, which is quirky, but I found I liked the characters and there was one scene in S1/E4 that was the funniest thing I've seen all year. Now watching the Kominsky Method which I'm enjoying, although the casting of Alan Arkin (fabulous in this) and Michael Douglas (pretty good) contstantly reminds me of why the original In-Laws was one of the best comedies ever and the remake sucked goat balls.

Also been looking at stand-ups I haven't seen before. Most did not hit my funny bone, but the Kyle Kinane segment of The Standups certainly did. Joe List not bad either.

I find comedies hard to binge watch. Part of it is that you start to notice the same jokes getting repeated if you want 5-10 episodes of a comedy in a week. I will watch 2-3 at most, then take a break for a few days.

Last Kingdom just came out with Season 4. It is a lower budget version of Vikings, but from the English perspective, and a lot more historically accurate than Vikings. It isn't the best show ever, but it is solid.

If you are looking for some shows that have wrapped up that you may have missed: Halt and Catch Fire and Turn from AMC. Both are on Netflix. I loved both shows.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I find comedies hard to binge watch. Part of it is that you start to notice the same jokes getting repeated if you want 5-10 episodes of a comedy in a week. I will watch 2-3 at most, then take a break for a few days.

Last Kingdom just came out with Season 4. It is a lower budget version of Vikings, but from the English perspective, and a lot more historically accurate than Vikings. It isn't the best show ever, but it is solid.

If you are looking for some shows that have wrapped up that you may have missed: Halt and Catch Fire and Turn from AMC. Both are on Netflix. I loved both shows.
I get the point on binging comedies. it's why I couldn't stand Friends and find BBT a slog. But what I liked about those two were the writing and characters, especially with After Life as i've encountered most of them.

Not into Vikings or fantasy stuff. I tried Turn a couple years ago, didn't take.And I have a crush on Mackenzie, so I've seen all of HACF. But thanks for the recos.

I might try Hell on Wheels next. That any good?

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I get the point on binging comedies. it's why I couldn't stand Friends and find BBT a slog. But what I liked about those two were the writing and characters, especially with After Life as i've encountered most of them.

Not into Vikings or fantasy stuff. I tried Turn a couple years ago, didn't take.And I have a crush on Mackenzie, so I've seen all of HACF. But thanks for the recos.

I just finished season 2 of Afterlife yesterday...I am a Gervais fan...and I agree that they have great characters on the show. And....it can be surprisingly moving.

Reaction Score

Hell on Wheels is a great story about the race to build the first cross country railroad with as gritty characters as you’d expect. Made in the classic Western style with Anson Mount as the muddy white-hatted hero. Terrific villainous turn by Colm Meaney. Bad guys, brassy gals, rough and tumble fun.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I think I've found my next binge: Townsends channel on YT.

Dude puts Bob Vila and Norm to shame. Also a lot of 18th century cooking vids... which, once the entire food chain collapses, might come in handy!

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I thought "His Dark Materials" was free on demand thru XFinity. Watched the first episode last night, enjoyed it, was looking forward to more. Well...like any good drug pusher, only the first time is free. I don't feel inclined to pay per episode or subscribe to HBO, so I guess I won't be seeing any further episodes. Oh well.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Just got HBO. Tried Barry...meh. Tried Vice Principals...meh.

Now trying Big Little Lies. Liking it.

On my own I'll fit in The Wire.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I just finished season 2 of Afterlife yesterday...I am a Gervais fan...and I agree that they have great characters on the show. And....it can be surprisingly moving.
Thanks for the mention. We loved Season 1.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Hell on Wheels is a great story about the race to build the first cross country railroad with as gritty characters as you’d expect. Made in the classic Western style with Anson Mount as the muddy white-hatted hero. Terrific villainous turn by Colm Meaney. Bad guys, brassy gals, rough and tumble fun.

I'm noticing a lot of Colm Meaney channeling Gene Hackman throughout.

Reaction Score
Tried to watch "Brockmeyer" but for me, it's unwatchable.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
On my own I'll fit in The Wire.
This was the one binge on which Mrs. 8893 and I were able to agree for the quarantine. Her brother bought us the first two seasons on DVD several years ago and we just never got around to watching it. She loves cop shows and could watch any iteration of "Law & Order" or its hundreds of spinoffs at any time, any day. I generally hate them (loved "NYPD Blue" for the first few seasons and pretty much nothing else), but "The Wire" is a good show for me because it avoids the thing I like least about cop shows, which is the one-hour wrap up. By contrast, this is a slow building plot over the course of a season, with a very heavy emphasis on character development and interconnected plots. We are almost done with season three and are loving it, but a lot of people we've tried to turn on to it have complained that it is too slow and boring for them.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
It maybe has been mentioned somewhere in this thread, I just thought of it today randomly. "Burn Notice" is another show that started out great, maybe for 2 seasons. It started trailing off and I quit watching before it's run ended. It got too complicated, too many new characters, the web they spun was just too big after a while.

I recently started watching "Bunheads" free on demand. A little up and down to start, now I'm a bit more than halfway thru it and it's finding a nice groove. Only 18 episodes so it won't take too long.

Reaction Score
Wrapping up Mad Men this week

And for the fans of Narcos, check out Amazon's ZeroZeroZero

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Burn Notice.

One of my favorite shows of all time.

the Q

Reaction Score
It maybe has been mentioned somewhere in this thread, I just thought of it today randomly. "Burn Notice" is another show that started out great, maybe for 2 seasons. It started trailing off and I quit watching before it's run ended. It got too complicated, too many new characters, the web they spun was just too big after a while.

I recently started watching "Bunheads" free on demand. A little up and down to start, now I'm a bit more than halfway thru it and it's finding a nice groove. Only 18 episodes so it won't take too long.

You are dead to me.....

Burn notice is one of my favorite shows.

There weren’t that many new characters.

But I agree that they spun the web too long. Really needed to combine seasons 5 and 6 into one season.

And then close strong with what was season

I don’t think it’s complicated compared to modern stuff, like the black list.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Wrapping up Mad Men this week

And for the fans of Narcos, check out Amazon's ZeroZeroZero
Ok...never watched Mad Men...but everyone says I would love it. Does it stand up well? Worth the time investment?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
You are dead to me.....

Maybe I gave up on it too soon. I got frustrated, the more Michael tried to dig into who burned him and how to clear himself, the more layers there were and the person he thought was responsible kept turning out to not be the right person. I could try to revisit it. His mom was kinda over the top annoying, but I loved the dynamic with Michael, Fiona and Sam.

Reaction Score
"Defending Jacob" on AppleTV is really good, my wife loved the book so she wanted to watch the series, it's solid. Took a bit to believe Captain America as a lawyer, but I like it.

"Mad Men" is an all-timer to me. I think it aged very well, love watching the re-runs on the Audience Network on DirecTV.

the Q

Reaction Score
Maybe I gave up on it too soon. I got frustrated, the more Michael tried to dig into who burned him and how to clear himself, the more layers there were and the person he thought was responsible kept turning out to not be the right person. I could try to revisit it. His mom was kinda over the top annoying, but I loved the dynamic with Michael, Fiona and Sam.

So you never found out who burned him?

Did you even meet Simon?

I mean that coverage and layers was the point, it makes more sense when you get the real answer.

Mom is def annoying first 2 seasons, that relationship grows more than any pair.

But yes the core 3 dynamics are the best part and really carry the day

Plus all the cool tips you get from Michael in voice overs....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom