What are you binge watching? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

What are you binge watching?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I liked "October Faction". I took a quick peek at "Locke And Key" and thought it another child centric "kids save the world" improbability and passed on it. It isn't that, is it?
It definitely revolves around the kids, but while not as violent as Stranger Things, it's definitely NOT like Dora the Explorer...

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I loved "Picard", but "Hunters", which seemed right up my alley (I mean killing nazi's? Sign me up and line 'em up), was just so predictable, and at times just plain awful.
I've been trying to get into Hunters but its a mish mosh. Sort of like a Marvel comic. Glad to know its not just me.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I am an Oak Island follower. DIY always fills the gap in the evening.
Musically, I missed the Eagles band in the 70s so I am visiting You Tube for everything on the Eagles. Also, a young drummer from Germany has a website where she has maybe hundreds of covers, Sina Drums. She is 20 and very talented.
I love The Curse of Oak Island. It is ridiculously addicting. My household kids me about it

Son: Hey you still watching that? What's happening?
Me: They found wood.​
Son: Wood. Well that's uh, interesting.
Me: Well it might be old wood. We won't know until they do the dendrochronology.​
Son: [shakes head and walks away]
As you see the action never stops. It's not the highest rated nonfiction show on cable for no reason.

Reaction Score
I've watched some of the old Steve Allen shows on Youtube. His "Man On The Street" segments were pure genius. The funniest sketch I ever saw was when he had a tailor measuring the inseam of his trousers. As he approached the top of the inside Allen turned his head and coughed. It was a spur of the moment thing but one of the greatest things I've ever seen on live tv.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
So, what would you charge to make my boyfriend disappear?

1587082070633.png

Sometimes I do pro bono work - we could talk

Well, Paladin's fee was $1,000.00, in the 1870's dollars; that would be about $20,000.00 today. But @j66kicker he did on occasion do pro-bono, for what he deemed a worthy client/cause.

As far as making your boyfriend disappear @Hope, he seldom resorted to simple assassination, you would need one of Tony Sopranos crew for that. I could put you in touch with some boys in Joisey, experts in waste management, if you get my drift. ;)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
It's great, but you're gonna get SOOOOOO hungry watching it!

Yeah... thats the problem with those kinda shows. I was on Youtube last night watching a review of cheeseburger they sell at Freddy's... and there I was at 1am just wanting to go try it :oops:

I love all the places they feature but I cannot stand the host :mad: (hopefully he's no one's friend or relative here)

Guess i'm in the minority, but I actually like him on that show.

Have tried 3 of Guy's recommendations in the Phoenix area. New Jersey pizza place in Glendale was great, but BBQ place and Mexican place were seriously bad (IMO). Just made me wonder how much it costs for a restaurant to get on DDD, of if Guy F has any real taste buds.

It never crossed my mind that a restaurant would do that (pay)....Thats interesting. There are a few down in Charlotte that I've seen on the show and want to check out.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Have tried 3 of Guy's recommendations in the Phoenix area. New Jersey pizza place in Glendale was great, but BBQ place and Mexican place were seriously bad (IMO).

I wonder if we went to the same BBQ place? We hit a BBQ place in the area when we out there for the Fiesta Bowl. I didn't think it was seriously bad but it surely didn't rise past the level of "meh". But out of the 7 or 8 DDD places we hit outside CT, that was the only dog.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
It's still going? I thought it was in it's last season a year or two ago. Head bang
The trailer starts with a missile hitting the house where someone was hiding

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I've been trying to get into Hunters but its a mish mosh. Sort of like a Marvel comic. Glad to know its not just me.
I actually liked it a lot and so did my dad and step mom, which surprised me. They are both in their 80's and don't love violence in movies etc. There were definitely some things about it that could have been better written, but Pacino and Lerman were both top notch.

Reaction Score
It never crossed my mind that a restaurant would do that (pay)....Thats interesting. There are a few down in Charlotte that I've seen on the show and want to check out.
Line gets very blurry between "Paid Media" and "Earned Media"...

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I actually liked it a lot and so did my dad and step mom, which surprised me. They are both in their 80's and don't love violence in movies etc. There were definitely some things about it that could have been better written, but Pacino and Lerman were both top notch.

Valuing your opinion as I do, I'll give it another try.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Better Call Saul, then I will watch Breaking Bad

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I have found another binge worthy show on Amazon: Blood & Water A police detective show. Think it may only run one season, but it moves along. The lead is a Chinese-American woman.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I've watched some of the old Steve Allen shows on Youtube. His "Man On The Street" segments were pure genius. The funniest sketch I ever saw was when he had a tailor measuring the inseam of his trousers. As he approached the top of the inside Allen turned his head and coughed. It was a spur of the moment thing but one of the greatest things I've ever seen on live tv.

Reading this reminded me of one of my best old talk show moments, Tom Waits on the Mike Douglas Show. Tom was Tom and Mike Douglas never skipped a beat interviewing and swapping lines with him. Plus you can see Tom sing Eggs and Sausage, light one of his omnipresent smokes off a lit cigarette from Glenda Jackson and blow smoke at Marvin Hamlisch during the interview. Classic and available on YouTube.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
The show couldn't decide if it wanted to be a drama, a satire, a comedy, a morality play, or a fantasy. Ultimately it ends up being none of the above.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Jordy, I have the box set for Steely Dan and saw them live in Dallas back around 2000. Great music!
My Steely Dan story.

When they first came out with "Can't Buy A Thrill" and had "Do It Again all over the radio we here in Brooklyn got wind that they were going to play in Prospect Park. We were thrilled but skeptical, and on the day they were supposed to perform we showed up at the big band shell. We waited for a while, and then thought, maybe they meant the smaller band shell deeper into the park. Now we were highly suspicious, made our way into the park. We arrived and found, not on the stage area, but in front of it a band set up. After another 20 minute wait about 25 people showed to watch whoever was to perform. We were all standing in a semi-circle when out walked Steely Dan. Since they had only one album they played every song. On guitar was Walter Becker and Jeff "Skunk" Baxter. I remember them opening with "Reelin' In The Years" with me standing about 10 feet from Donald Fagen. I'll never forget.

Last edited:

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Just watched Pennyworth on Epix - about Bruce Wayne's (Batman) butler - his origin story. Entertaining. Also watched Sex Education on Netflix - it was really good. Asa Butterfield and Gillian Anderson really shine, especially Anderson. She's a hoot.
Sex Education is one of the best recent shows easily.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Better Call Saul, then I will watch Breaking Bad
Reverse that. Breaking Bad is seminal. "Saul" is merely very good.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Reverse that. Breaking Bad is seminal. "Saul" is merely very good.
Already on S2E9 of Saul, too late to turn back now...or maybe I am saving the best for last..:rolleyes:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This kinda fits here. On coursera.org, they just dropped a free course called The Modern and the Postmodern. I've been interested in the topic lately so I signed up. The guy doing the lectures is excellent. Turns out he's the president of Wesleyan. I think that is pretty cool.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
We are watching way more TV than we usually watch, especially at this time of year. We are binging Shameless, The Last Kingdom (for uber prolific Bernard Cornwell fans) and more recently Anne with an E. An up to date remake of Anne of Green Gables that my wife forced me to watch. I like it! Even the giggling school girl conversation about men and their pocket mouse!

Reaction Score
IMHO Schitt's Creek is the best sitcom ever. So well done, funny, clever, with laugh out loud moments in every episode.

I mentioned Sex Education and Pennyworth earlier in this thread...

October Faction - a fun surprisingly interesting series about a family who hunts monsters
Locke and Key - another surprisingly good series about a house that has a bunch of magic hidden keys
I recently auditioned for an improv team and *almost* sang “A little bit Alexis”. unfortunately I needed to use a real song lmao

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
For me it was the iconic "Have Gun, Will Travel". There are some real gems in the stories of that jaded hero, he was the dark knight when Batman was just Batman.

I have the complete set of HGWT series on DVD. I remember watching them when they were aired weekly in the late 50's and early 60's. I was too young then to remember the plots or appreciate Paladin's intrepid character. HGWT was always one of my favorite TV westerns. I’ve seen every episode. I continue to watch episodes that are currently being aired.

HGWT is also featured on "Oldtime Radio." You can listen to this and many other programs of radio’s golden age for free. Here is a sample: Strange Vendetta. "Have Gun Will Travel," the 106 episode radio Western created by Sam Rolfe & Herb Meadow (starring John Dehner as Paladin) was broadcast on CBS radio from November 23, 1958 to November 22, 1960.

My favorite OTR program is The Lone Ranger. Brace Beemer was the voice of the "masked man" for most of these recordings long before Clayton Moore starred in the TV series which debuted in 1949.

1587333366983.png

I listen to these recordings at least 3-4 times a week. Some of my favorite TV heros wore masks: The Lone Ranger, The Green Hornet and Walt Disney's Zorro (Guy Williams) etc. HE was the first Zorro I saw as a child.
Those other Zorros (Frank Langella/George Hamilton/Alain Delon/Anthony Hopkins/Antonio Banderas) are Johnny-come-latelys to me, even though the Zorro character was portrayed by several actors on the big screen prior to this late 50’s TV series. Douglas Fairbanks Sr. (silent era 1920) and Tyrone Power (The mark of Zorro) in 1940 being two of them.

Another OTR western program you might enjoy if you like westerns is "Luke Slaughter of Tombstone" featuring the voice of character actor Sam Buffington as Luke Slaughter. His voice is very similar to William Conrad (Cannon). I highly recommend this series. Only 16 episodes were produced. :(

OTR also features BIG Band Music of which I am a fan, even though 90% of it was produced and performed before my arrival. :)

Another link to Oldtime Radio.

I'm now watching episodes of Bat Masterson (Gene Barry) and Tombstone Territory (Pat Conway). I've found a new appreciation for these shows that I did not have before. I've set my DVR to record all episodes of these programs, and watch them at my leisure. Happy viewing and listening everyone. :)

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom