OT: - What’s the biggest hardo thing you do out of principal? | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT: What’s the biggest hardo thing you do out of principal?

Reaction Score
Those studies make two assumptions not applicable to the real world. First, they assume a constant rate of speed. Second, they assume sufficient spacing between cars. That happens approximately zero percent of the time. So what happens is that cars squeeze into spaces, causing drivers to brake, which causes the drivers behind them to brake, and so on. So squeezing in at the end ends up increasing traffic.
This is the internet age. You can find a study to support any argument you want.

Reaction Score
No, no, no no no, no, no. If changing lanes means I have to slow down, sorry, you have to wait until I'm done passing the cars on the right.
Sure but don't park your arse in the fast lane if you aren't looking to go fast. Someone is coming up faster than you and you are supposed to move over as soon as you clear the traffic on the right or if you don't plan on passing the traffic on the right then fall into the right lane wherever you fit.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
People seem to be assuming that I’m driving slow in the left lane which is not the case. That drives me nuts as well. But when I’m going 80 and there’s a car in front of me and I can see the guy behind weaving in and out jockeying for position... I’m not gonna just let him cut in front of me.
Fair. But if you were going 55 in the left lane but sped up to prevent people from passing you, you'd deserve to be horsewhipped.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No, no, no no no, no, no. If changing lanes means I have to slow down, sorry, you have to wait until I'm done passing the cars on the right.
If someone is going significantly faster than you while you are in the left lane you should move in to the middle lane, let them pass, and then hop back in the left lane.

Reaction Score
No, I've been reading this site for four years.

It's up to you whether you are embarrassed or not. But that doesn't change the fact that you should be. That cashier would get in trouble with her manager if she didn't ask you that question. And you bark at her for it. Why? Do you have any other reason than you want to punish someone for your feeling of annoyance and she just happens to be there?

Says the guy on a random message board scolding a stranger on manners.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Those studies make two assumptions not applicable to the real world. First, they assume a constant rate of speed. Second, they assume sufficient spacing between cars. That happens approximately zero percent of the time. So what happens is that cars squeeze into spaces, causing drivers to brake, which causes the drivers behind them to brake, and so on. So squeezing in at the end ends up increasing traffic.
In terms of the first assumption, tractor trailer semis do not have the same rate of acceleration as passenger vehicles. They also cannot stop on a dime, so they leave larger gaps than they need in the pattern. Nine times out of ten, there is no squeezing into space directly in front of a truck and the car that does it won't inhibit the truck's progress. Conversely, issues arise when a hardo screams up the lane next to the exit, looking for space to cut and comes to a complete stop in traffic, because they want to get off the highway.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Maybe, just maybe, if you used the accelerator to begin with cars wouldn't be passing on the right.

Indeed, those people who go slow in the left, won't move, force you to pass on the right and then speed up to prevent you getting in front of them...those are among the most loathsome creature to crawl on this earth.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Sure but don't park your arse in the fast lane if you aren't looking to go fast. Someone is coming up faster than you and you are supposed to move over as soon as you clear the traffic on the right or if you don't plan on passing the traffic on the right then fall into the right lane wherever you fit.
Theoretically, drivers should not be obligated to inhibit themselves to accommodate others to further violate the rules of the road. I generally drive with my cruise control. If I'm traveling 74 mph, coming up on someone traveling 72 mph and there is someone screaming up the passing lane doing 85+, I feel no obligation to move over until I'm clear of the slower car on the right.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
No, I've been reading this site for four years.

It's up to you whether you are embarrassed or not. But that doesn't change the fact that you should be. That cashier would get in trouble with her manager if she didn't ask you that question. And you bark at her for it. Why? Do you have any other reason than you want to punish someone for your feeling of annoyance and she just happens to be there?

Just look at his avatar. Maybe just say "do you like apples? well how do you like them apples?". It's his persona.

Reaction Score
Says the guy on a random message board scolding a stranger on manners.

Has this guy on a random message board said one thing that is untrue? Even so much as one thing? Show it to me. In fact you are talking about "a guy on a random message board" because you know that what I am saying is true. Everyone else reading this thread knows it is true as well. If you could defend your behavior, you would. You can't so you attack.

This is not about "manners'. Do you think it's pleasant to get yelled at by some random guy in a store who is yelling at you simply because he knows you have to take it? Who is irritated because of the offer you are required to make and wants to make someone suffer for the sake of his irritation? Think. It's not all about you even if you are a customer.

Reaction Score

All true. But I can't stand it when I'm going 80, passing a line of cars to the right of me, and some guy is flashing his lights behind me to move over. Not happening until I'm past the guys I'm passing. And if you continue it I am going to box you in.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
All true. But I can't stand it when I'm going 80, passing a line of cars to the right of me, and some guy is flashing his lights behind me to move over. Not happening until I'm past the guys I'm passing. And if you continue it I am going to box you in.

I'm on board with that. Or when cars are in front of you.

Reaction Score
Has this guy on a random message board said one thing that is untrue? Even so much as one thing? Show it to me. In fact you are talking about "a guy on a random message board" because you know that what I am saying is true. Everyone else reading this thread knows it is true as well. If you could defend your behavior, you would. You can't so you attack.

This is not about "manners'. Do you think it's pleasant to get yelled at by some random guy in a store who is yelling at you simply because he knows you have to take it? Who is irritated because of the offer you are required to make and wants to make someone suffer for the sake of his irritation? Think. It's not all about you even if you are a customer.
Allow me to mediate. The thread is supposed to be about hardo things we do, weren't we in the trust tree wherein we aren't attacked for our hardo behaviors? Although the title is the hardo things you do out of 'principal' [sic] (yes I know UCDaveD corrected, nonetheless out of principle I must point out the error).

The principle here is, don't offer me unsolicited memberships every time I buy something.
Weighed against the principle of treating workers doing their job with a modicum of civility.

The way to effect change may be to tell the cashier; "I don't like rewards programs, please don't ask me and tell your manager I don't appreciate the solicitation." Being sarcastic to the cashier may change an individual cashier's ask, but it is less likely to change the practice in general. I think to issue a final ruling we need to know if Deepster is a member of any rewards programs.

If the hardo behavior is out of a principled stance to not give out information & avoid all reward programs he's got a point. Maybe he can modify his reactions to increase the odds the questions aren't asked, but a hardo's principle to avoid rewards programs may supersede the principle of civility. It isn't great, but not as dangerous as the other hardos swerving in & out of traffic to enforce their principles.

Reaction Score
I agree with that, #1 rule of the road- basically don't be a d***

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score

If I'm speeding and someone still wants to get around me, heck yes I'll let them go! If there's a cop sitting ahead, I'd rather it be them than me to hit the radar gun... Although I guess taking a speeding ticket because you're being a hardo out of principle is what this thread is all about...

Reaction Score
Just like i would rather pump my own gas. Anything I can do self serve I will choose.
I now live in NJ and I will purposely fill up my tank in PA so I can do it myself... even though it costs a lot more.

Reaction Score
If I'm speeding and someone still wants to get around me, heck yes I'll let them go! If there's a cop sitting ahead, I'd rather it be them than me to hit the radar gun... Although I guess taking a speeding ticket because you're being a hardo out of principle is what this thread is all about...
If your doing 80, and they pass you, they are most likely getting more than a ticket. In CT 85 mph is a reckless driving arrest ( a misdemeanor).

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
If your doing 80, and they pass you, they are most likely getting more than a ticket. In CT 85 mph is a reckless driving arrest ( a misdemeanor).

It should be lower than that. Much lower.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I recline my airplane seat back fully as soon as the plane is in the air.

@Deepster and I disagree vehemently about this.

I love playing the recline game. I gladly accept the reduced knee space for the pleasure of banging my knees and tray in to back of seat. And then the magazine pocket? I'm constantly dropping stuff in there and having to fish it out.

Plus, I tend to cough and sneeze a lot when seats recline.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I love playing the recline game. I gladly accept the reduced knee space for the pleasure of banging my knees and tray in to back of seat. And then the magazine pocket? I'm constantly dropping stuff in there and having to fish it out.

Plus, I tend to cough and sneeze a lot when seats recline.

I’ve found my 3rd favorite poster...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom