OT: - What’s the biggest hardo thing you do out of principal? | Page 14 | The Boneyard

OT: What’s the biggest hardo thing you do out of principal?

Reaction Score
Ok? I don't know why you are quoting my post. I don't get it.
Just pointing out that most people wh answer calls are to just about any company it seems they transfer your call to India or Jamaica etc. I have a hard time with dialects so it is very frustrating.

Reaction Score
I always use self checkout. I’m not standing in those 15 minute lines behind people with carts full of food when I can be out in under a minute.

Do you still wish you had to talk to an operator to connect a phone call? Some jobs disappear. New jobs arise (including programming and fixing those machines).
What happened to the elevator operators? I'm supposed to push the button myself now?

Reaction Score
Do you still wish you had to talk to an operator to connect a phone call? Some jobs disappear. New jobs arise (including programming and fixing those machines).
Yeah because the person who loses their job at the register is qualified to fix and build those machines.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I've been known to search the internet to find latent threads over two months old just to add on to the conversation.
... or not add to it, as the case may be.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yeah because the person who loses their job at the register is qualified to fix and build those machines.

So you propose we halt human progress so people can work a cash register. I bet you’d give a different answer if the jobs were mining coal. How many millions of jobs has the internet killed? How many created? I would like more job training for those who lose their jobs, but people need to adapt.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
So you propose we halt human progress so people can work a cash register. I bet you’d give a different answer if the jobs were mining coal. How many millions of jobs has the internet killed? How many created? I would like more job training for those who lose their jobs, but people need to adapt.
cash register operators will be obsolete within a decade.
they'll need to learn how to repair hand scanners :p

Reaction Score
People who wait till they get the amount before filling out their whole check,instead of filling in everything except the amount,while waiting in a long line. If I have a lot of groceries and someone behind me has only a few I let them go ahead of me.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
cash register operators will be obsolete within a decade.
they'll need to learn how to repair hand scanners :p

I support small business when I can. Most of them are ahead of the curve moving to the new rotating big ipad style cash registers. Payment increasingly via Apple and Android pay. Talked to a shop owner who just installed them. It lets her see exactly what every customer buys. So no they won't be obsolete. But being able to run those reports, evaluate what is selling, who is buying and analyze that data, that is the skill needed at the retail level in the future.

Our cafeteria at work used to have lines that were 5-10 minutes to check out. Now there is one register and several scanners that scan your food and charge you. Now there are no lines anymore, or very short lines at the one register. It's better for the customer.

Reaction Score
People who wait till they get the amount before filling out their whole check,instead of filling in everything except the amount,while waiting in a long line. If I have a lot of groceries and someone behind me has only a few I let them go ahead of me.
Where do you live where people are still writing checks for groceries?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Where do you live where people are still writing checks for groceries?

Saw it at Big Y in Groton about a week and a half ago.

CL82

Reaction Score
So you propose we halt human progress so people can work a cash register.
C'mon... If human progress is measured by the number of self-check registers we have, it may be time for a asteroid strike reboot.

Reaction Score
In 10 years self checkout will be close to obsolete too. Amazon will be making grocery deliveries at scale...embrace efficiency.

Imagine Waiting in line for 20 minutes behind cat ladies and coupon clippers because you think you’re too important to scan it yourself? Grow up you entitled POSs

My biggest pet peeve: people who come into a restaurant 5 minutes before close with no urgency and zero regard for human life outside of their selfish selves.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Is pointing out the difference between "Hardo" and "pet peeve" principled hardo behavior?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
In 10 years self checkout will be close to obsolete too. Amazon will be making grocery deliveries at scale...embrace efficiency.

I hope the robots do a better job of picking meat and produce than the people currently employed at our big supermarket chain.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Imagine Waiting in line for 20 minutes behind cat ladies and coupon clippers because you think you’re too important to scan it yourself? Grow up you entitled POSs

My biggest pet peeve: people who come into a restaurant 5 minutes before close with no urgency and zero regard for human life outside of their selfish selves.

Amazon has already tested concepts where multiple cameras watch and record every item as you pull it off the shelf and it does live time updates of your total. You just walk out of store and you are already billed.

Plus, has the benefit of live time notification to restock local inventory or setup deliveries to the store to restock low quantity items.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Amazon has already tested concepts where multiple cameras watch and record every item as you pull it off the shelf and it does live time updates of your total. You just walk out of store and you are already billed.

Plus, has the benefit of live time notification to restock local inventory or setup deliveries to the store to restock low quantity items.

hopefully that puts an end to slobs who put an item in their cart only to dump it later four aisles over instead of putting it back.

Reaction Score
C'mon... If human progress is measured by the number of self-check registers we have, it may be time for a asteroid strike reboot.

Self checkout is a breeze and if it gets me out of the store 5 minutes quicker, I am all for it. You can't really be arguing to save jobs that are completely unnecessary at this point.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Automation generally is progress. This isn't an important example of it. But switchboard operators were replaced by machines. Robots fill the assembly line at auto plants (and most others). The internet has eliminated a lot of the publishing business. Amazon ended a lot of book stores. Toll takers have been replaced by license plate scanners and FastPass. The point is, in each case there is an anecdotal case of job losses that we can't be concerned about in the bigger scheme of things.

CL82

Reaction Score
Self checkout is a breeze and if it gets me out of the store 5 minutes quicker, I am all for it. You can't really be arguing to save jobs that are completely unnecessary at this point.
Me? No. I just laugh at the concept that it reflects the pinnacle of human achievement.

CL82

Reaction Score
Automation generally is progress. This isn't an important example of it. But switchboard operators were replaced by machines. Robots fill the assembly line at auto plants (and most others). The internet has eliminated a lot of the publishing business. Amazon ended a lot of book stores. Toll takers have been replaced by license plate scanners and FastPass. The point is, in each case there is an anecdotal case of job losses that we can't be concerned about in the bigger scheme of things.
But here in NJ we still have someone pump our gas for us.

(Agree with your larger point, but got a chuckle out of your hyperbole.)

Reaction Score
It's still mostly people on the auto plant assembly lines and that isn't changing any time soon.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
But here in NJ we still have someone pump our gas for us.

(Agree with your larger point, but got a chuckle out of your hyperbole.)

And that's an interesting one. If I recall, they did that because gasoline fumes are a known carcinogen. So they assumed a dedicated pump employee could take steps to mitigate exposure. Of course they rarely do, so instead of a minor exposure unlikely to cause cancer, they are killing all those poor attendants. We have a town near me with the same rule.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom