OT: - What’s the biggest hardo thing you do out of principal? | Page 17 | The Boneyard

OT: What’s the biggest hardo thing you do out of principal?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I like to get the last word in on internet message boards.

Reaction Score
It’s just a courtesy.
I've never heard of such a custom. I would imagine it would embarrass the person for whom people are standing, especially if it's for a bathroom trip.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I've never heard of such a custom. I would imagine it would embarrass the person for whom people are standing, especially if it's for a bathroom trip.
It today’s age it wouldn’t pass muster. But standing up and pulling out the chair to allow the women to sit and then helping move the chair towards the table was considered well mannered by some. More common was for men to open and close the car door for women.

Reaction Score
It today’s age it wouldn’t pass muster. But standing up and pulling out the chair to allow the women to sit and then helping move the chair towards the table was considered well mannered by some. More common was for men to open and close the car door for women.
Those things are common and seem polite to me. Simply standing without otherwise interacting, however, seems strange.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Those things are common and seem polite to me. Simply standing without otherwise interacting, however, seems strange.
Lots of customs we don’t grow up with can be perceived as strange. But if society perceived it as polite or proper it’s not analyzed.

I’ve always questioned why men choose hypoxia and wear ties, women want back problems and wear high heels, people deliberately self mutilate or eat at fast food joints. Standing up for women is low on my list of strange. Topping the list would be posting on a sports forum.

Reaction Score
Manners. Parents used to teach such things to ensure their kids didn't grow up looking ill-bred.
Yeah, women don't like that. Some old customs are best gone from society. Women don't like it being called to attention every time they're about to make a bowel movement...Always get up from the table to greet anyone, pull out a chair for women, open the car door but don't be the guy standing up every time she relieves herself.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Not that I have ever noticed. I always stand whenever anyone joins the table, man or woman. Whenever a woman leaves or returns I stand. If someone stops by the table and I need to shake hands, I stand. It's like holding the door or giving up your seat to a lady. I suspect that it is a little antiquated by modern standards, but, sadly, most courtesies are. The interesting thing is that it has become the norm with my peers now. A little civility never hurt anyone.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Lots of customs we don’t grow up with can be perceived as strange. But if society perceived it as polite or proper it’s not analyzed.

I’ve always questioned why men choose hypoxia and wear ties, women want back problems and wear high heels, people deliberately self mutilate or eat at fast food joints. Standing up for women is low on my list of strange. Topping the list would be posting on a sports forum.
already covered on another thread, but i''ll repeat. purchase a shirt with the correctly sized collar, whatever the number on the tag is. problem solved. (drops mic) my work is done here.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
already covered on another thread, but i''ll repeat. purchase a shirt with the correctly sized collar, whatever the number on the tag is. problem solved. (drops mic) my work is done here.
Ties do provide color for otherwise drab formal attire. Still a silly adornment imo. We should go back to wigs (says the guy with dome vacation) and puffy shirts.

Reaction Score
Aside from purportedly never hearing of men ever standing for women, it’s challenging to believe westerners of any age never saw a guy in any movie or tv series stand when his girlfriend, wife, or some other female arrived at or left a dinner table. Times and manners change, but never?

Reaction Score
Aside from purportedly never hearing of men ever standing for women, it’s challenging to believe westerners of any age never saw a guy in any movie or tv series stand when his girlfriend, wife, or some other female arrived at or left a dinner table. Times and manners change, but never?
Honestly I never noticed it. I'm not saying I didn't witness it; just that it never registered with me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom