OT: - What’s the biggest hardo thing you do out of principal? | Page 15 | The Boneyard

OT: What’s the biggest hardo thing you do out of principal?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It's still mostly people on the auto plant assembly lines and that isn't changing any time soon.

Nah. There are people, but doing different things.

Reaction Score
Nah. There are people, but doing different things.

At most auto plants it's people working alongside robots, it's been that way for a while and people aren't going anywhere.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
And that's an interesting one. If I recall, they did that because gasoline fumes are a known carcinogen. So they assumed a dedicated pump employee could take steps to mitigate exposure. Of course they rarely do, so instead of a minor exposure unlikely to cause cancer, they are killing all those poor attendants. We have a town near me with the same rule.
I think the argument self-serve eliminated jobs. As a colleague of mine once said "I'm not worried about losing my job so long as NJ doesn't allow self-serve."

Reaction Score
I support small business when I can. Most of them are ahead of the curve moving to the new rotating big ipad style cash registers. Payment increasingly via Apple and Android pay. Talked to a shop owner who just installed them. It lets her see exactly what every customer buys. So no they won't be obsolete. But being able to run those reports, evaluate what is selling, who is buying and analyze that data, that is the skill needed at the retail level in the future.
Such payment methods; sales, inventory, payment data analytics, etc are ahead of the curve in this country, but compared with advanced European and Asian markets and Australasia? Whether it’s good or not, cash, checks, and physical credit card dependencies are all dinosaurs, and even rotating payment tablets lag behind other markets’ mobile-payment capabilities.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
hopefully that puts an end to slobs who put an item in their cart only to dump it later four aisles over instead of putting it back.
hey! stop watching me! mind your own bitness. (just for that, im gonna buy a cheapo brand of ice cream, the stuff with xtra chemicals, and shove it under ur ride's backseat.)

Reaction Score
I will not go to the self check out at grocery stores. Hire humans you corporate pigs
I love this one as its becoming more and more commone for there to be 1 cashier and 10 self-checkouts.
Lately I've been telling the 'self checkout' cashier that I'm not very good at it and don't get paid enough to care that I only have a 60% scan rate.

Reaction Score
It's going to be fascinating to see what happens over the next hundred years or so as automation continues to increase per capita productivity while actual human work dwindles to next to nothing (at least in many manufacturing, transportation and logistics sectors). I don't see any solution to the problem other than taxing the heck out of the producers and distributing it among the people who can't find work with a living wage. It's a delicate line to walk though, as too much taxation will retard the proliferation and technological advancement of automation, which will only prolong the problem.

Full disclosure: I am an automation engineer, so not only am I highly biased, but I am completely talking out of my when it comes to economics and public policy.

Reaction Score
It's going to be fascinating to see what happens over the next hundred years or so as automation continues to increase per capita productivity while actual human work dwindles to next to nothing (at least in many manufacturing, transportation and logistics sectors). I don't see any solution to the problem other than taxing the heck out of the producers and distributing it among the people who can't find work with a living wage. It's a delicate line to walk though, as too much taxation will retard the proliferation and technological advancement of automation, which will only prolong the problem.

Full disclosure: I am an automation engineer, so not only am I highly biased, but I am completely talking out of my when it comes to economics and public policy.
Why was "sc@Iito" auto-censored?! Damn you automation!!

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I need to get better at telling deli workers to change their gloves after they dealt with a previous customer. Watching them handle two door levers and a meat slicer handle before touching my meat or cheese? Not accepttable. And stop dangling a piece to aske if it is okay. And no(!!!) I do not want a piece to eat!!!

CL82

Reaction Score

We will be OK as long as we have telephone sanitizers.

Reaction Score
I need to get better at telling deli workers to change their gloves after they dealt with a previous customer. Watching them handle two door levers and a meat slicer handle before touching my meat or cheese? Not accepttable. And stop dangling a piece to aske if it is okay. And no(!!!) I do not want a piece to eat!!!
At least you can see what the deli workers are doing. Imagine what happens in a restaurant kitchen? Especially when you send your food back.

Reaction Score
At least you can see what the deli workers are doing. Imagine what happens in a restaurant kitchen? Especially when you send your food back.

Having worked and knowing owners of many restaurants I've seen/ been in many kitchens. What you don't know won't hurt you. Just enjoy the food. It's no different than it being prepared in your own kitchen but if you are a dick patron and are constantly complaining/ sending food back chances are high your meal wasn't prepared with the best of care.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
c
Having worked and knowing owners of many restaurants I've seen/ been in many kitchens. What you don't know won't hurt you. Just enjoy the food. It's no different than it being prepared in your own kitchen but if you are a dick patron and are constantly complaining/ sending food back chances are high your meal wasn't prepared with the best of care.

Seriously. People concerned about stuff like this should be limited to eating out of vending machines.

More people die from distracted driving accidents each year. So by eating at home today, you'll avoid those nasty restaurants AND also avoid driving texters, so you're really improving your chances of seeing Wednesday. Add a bubble around your house and you're really good!

Reaction Score
As a teen I was a busser and dishwasher at a fancy restaurant, diners would be horrified if they knew what went on. I saw meals go in the trash and then taken out of the trash when told it was supposed to be put in a doggie bag to go.

Reaction Score
As a teen I was a busser and dishwasher at a fancy restaurant, diners would be horrified if they knew what went on. I saw meals go in the trash and then taken out of the trash when told it was supposed to be put in a doggie bag to go.

Yea when there is food being wrapped up to go its not being cooked again if something happens. I've seen servers accidentally drop steak on the kitchen floor and pick it up to pack it to go

Reaction Score

Post /handle
So you work so that everyone else gets taxed to pay for those that have no skills. Using your logic, it would be better for taxpayers if you didn’t have a job!

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Post /handle
So you work so that everyone else gets taxed to pay for those that have no skills. Using your logic, it would be better for taxpayers if you didn’t have a job!
Sadly, that is a lot of people's logic.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
It's going to be fascinating to see what happens over the next hundred years or so as automation continues to increase per capita productivity while actual human work dwindles to next to nothing (at least in many manufacturing, transportation and logistics sectors). I don't see any solution to the problem other than taxing the heck out of the producers and distributing it among the people who can't find work with a living wage.

Post/handle

EDIT: Damn, beat me to the punch

CL82

Reaction Score
Dammit. I assumed those were peppercorns. :eek:
Dove: "Honey look at the size of these peppercorns!"
1576619990641.png

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm not convinced that Wall-E isn't more right than wrong 100 years from now. Fat, lifeless humans strictly existing for pleasure controlled by robots doing all the work.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom