OT: - What’s the biggest hardo thing you do out of principal? | Page 12 | The Boneyard

OT: What’s the biggest hardo thing you do out of principal?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Okay, but where are you getting your pizza?

Actually, best slice places would be a great thread. I don't think any of my regular pizza places sell slices and I can't think of any place I'd recommend off the top of my head.

I should have specified; this would be in NYC/Jersey City/Hoboken

In the suburbs it's tough to find a slice place where the pie hasn't been sitting under the heat lamp since the dawn of electricity.

Reaction Score
The same people buying $150 bottles of wine at dinner are the same ones taking out the ol' slide rule to figure out the tip?

Some call me a cheap bastard for my unwillingness to go to "nice" dinners, but I usually end up leaving hungry and out $100 when I could have spend $12 gotten a couple slices and a beer and been just as happy.
I refuse to eat at fancy places which won't fill me up anymore. There is something really wrong with forking over big bucks and then having to stop to get a couple dogs or pizza after.

Reaction Score
Exactly. One post talks about the differences between 15% before tax and after tax. A few post later, we're talking about $150.00 bottles of wine.

Take the tab. After tax. Double it. There's your tip. It covers anything better than slightly below average service or better. If your wife didn't complain about the water not having a lemon in it, someone else's did why your waiter sacrificed their Saturday night. Bunch of tightwads here.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I refuse to eat at fancy places which won't fill me up anymore. There is something really wrong with forking over big bucks and then having to stop to get a couple dogs or pizza after.

People are going to hate this, but since it's the hardo thread, so be it.

For food, I'll take quantity over quality all day every day. I'll eat pretty much anything as long as I can have enough of it.

Reaction Score
I'm all for splitting checks but you do need to sensitive to some people's financial situatuations. Dropping a few hundred dollars is different for some people. In that case, and if they have ordered frugally, Don't be a jerk. Also have seen people in recovery not want to contribute to a large alcohol bill.
Both different than someone being cheap and I don't want to dump those friends.

If I'm out with couple friends, and you get 3 beers, and my pregnant wife gets a Diet Coke, no way in hell am I splitting 50/50.

Also, the people I hang out with have no problem calculating their individual contribution to the bill. Maybe we scientists don't mind doing the math like other people.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Also, the people I hang out with have no problem calculating their individual contribution to the bill. Maybe we scientists don't mind doing the math like other people.
It's not about the math.

Ok, maybe it is.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
If I'm out with couple friends, and you get 3 beers, and my pregnant wife gets a Diet Coke, no way in hell am I splitting 50/50.

I'm generally a go with the flow kind of guy. But I've been screwed as much by people figuring their share and I'm stuck without enough money to pay the bill,let alone the tip as by those ordering 3 apps and 4 drinks and then saying " let's split it".
I assume it works better with scientists than social scientists!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

yikes

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
At this stage of my life, if I'm out with friends, presumably it's not the first time I am and won't be the last. Over the last 20+ years of being an adult in terms of age, if not maturity, it typically evens out. I have no problem splitting the bill evenly.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
When people misuse "I" or "me" I instinctively and automatically correct them most of the time because I am unable to stop myself from doing it.
It's mostly people who unnecessarily use "myself" that bother me, but I don't say anything. Because why?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It's mostly people who unnecessarily use "myself" that bother me, but I don't say anything. Because why?
For me, it’s because I got used to doing it with my kids.

Reaction Score
Exactly. One post talks about the differences between 15% before tax and after tax. A few post later, we're talking about $150.00 bottles of wine.

Take the tab. After tax. Double it. There's your tip. It covers anything better than slightly below average service or better. If your wife didn't complain about the water not having a lemon in it, someone else's did why your waiter sacrificed their Saturday night. Bunch of tightwads here.

I don’t usually agree with you on things, but you nailed this one.

Reaction Score
To me tipping is always a variable. There's horrendous, poor, indifferent, good, great, exceptional and each gets rewarded accordingly. Even by not tipping on tax, I've left amounts ranging from 0% to 40%.

For reference, that 0% included breaking a wine glass, some of which ended up in my wife's salad, then dripping blood on her plate and using a napkin to wipe it off instead of removing the plate. Should I have rewarded that behavior?

I tip 20% of whatever the bill total is unless the service is really awful.

It’s the right thing to do and, frankly, it’s the hardo thing to do because it shows you have the disposable income to be able to do it. If you can’t afford to do it than you probably can’t afford to eat at the restaurant in the first place.

Not only that, but I round up. If the tip is, say, $20.35 I round up $21.

Some of you are real miserable jerk wads.

I always tip 20%, these people have to make a living too. I don’t have disposable income only eat at an expensive restaurant maybe once a year. The elderly are cheap. If you can’t afford to tip properly stay home.
I agree with you Guapo

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

I believe you're eating at the wrong fancy places.

Having not met you, I'm unclear on whether you have super amazing metabolism or are preparing for an audition on "My 600-lb Life".

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I always tip 20%, these people have to make a living too. I don’t have disposable income only eat at an expensive restaurant maybe once a year. The elderly are cheap. If you can’t afford to tip properly stay home.
I agree with you Guapo

I don't want to deny anyone a living. But when you leave glass and blood in a salad, perhaps that line of work isn't for you.

A post proclaiming, "The elderly are cheap" stands w/o being deleted? So it's OK here to categorically slur this particular part of the population?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm generally a go with the flow kind of guy. But I've been screwed as much by people figuring their share and I'm stuck without enough money to pay the bill,let alone the tip as by those ordering 3 apps and 4 drinks and then saying " let's split it".
I assume it works better with scientists than social scientists!
Same. If I'm with people that I'd like I'm fine with picking up the whole thing so I'd don't mind getting burned on the meal differential. But you are right the guy who suggests splitting is inevitably the guy with highest tab.

Last edited:

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Several years ago I went out to dinner with my neighbors Mork and Mindy. When the tab was brought to the table Mork grabbed it and said he was paying because it was my birthday.

A few months later we go out again, eat, tab comes and I declare it's my birthday. Mork gives me a look and Mindy states "You just celebrated your birthday." To which I replied "I went to a new church this morning and have become 'born again'." To which Mork laughed and said "Brilliant! No way you're paying for dinner my man."

A couple of months later we go out, eat, tab comes and I declare it's my birthday. Mindy could no longer control herself and angrily states that I just did this crap. I sheepishly say "I had a crisis of faith and left the church. The crisis has passed and coincidentally I rejoined it this morning."

Mork grabs the bill over Mindy's protestation. Angrily Mindy says "Don't you dare pay. That cheap old bastard has never taken anyone out and paid the tab for their birthday!" To which I replied "Not true. I've gone out with George and Gracie on their birthday and offered to pay."

I think I pushed things a little too far. She stood up and said "George and Gracie are Jehovah Witnesses! They don't celebrate birthdays!"

She stormed out of the restaurant with people staring at her as she proclaimed she and Mork were never going to associate with me again.

I like to think I had nothing to do with their divorce. After all I was just about to tell her Mork and I went out to lunch several times where I picked up the tab and when he protested I suggested he should pay on my birthday.

Reaction Score
Several years ago I went out to dinner with my neighbors Mork and Mindy. When the tab was brought to the table Mork grabbed it and said he was paying because it was my birthday.
What? I read that whole thing assuming it was a joke you were telling in the first person. Did you forget to type the punch line?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
What? I read that whole thing assuming it was a joke you were telling in the first person. Did you forget to type the punch line?
I was at least expecting a shazbot! or nanu-nanu.

Reaction Score
When I'm in traffic and there's a right turn only lane and people jump into it to cruise up to the light and cut back into traffic at the last minute. I hug the bumper of the car in front of me and box them out...no mercy. Especially if they do the honk and wave/point to pantomime me letting them over

Reaction Score
Didn't read the whole thread, but if I'm going well above the speed limit on a single lane road and you're still on my ass, I WILL begin driving 20mph below the speed limit the rest of the way.

Reaction Score
I won't buy a new car. Why?
I don't want the car beeping at me cuz someone in the car doesn't have the seatbelt fastened.
I don't want headlights flashing and audible beeps when I lock/unlock the car.
I don't want side marker lights activating when someone is in my blind spot, I know how to turn my head before changing lanes.
I don't want lane assist or parking assist. I can turn the steering wheel manually.
I don't want my headlights turning on or off automatically. I can turn them on/off manually.
I don't want my car beeping when I'm in reverse and going 0.05 mph backing into a spot and the car behind me is 2 feet away and then the car actually ENGAGES the brake so I CANNOT move back any more (happened on a rental car recently).

So my daily driver is from 1996. Everything manual, including transmission. I actually leave it unlocked with the key in the car, cuz its a POS and 90% of people don't know how to drive manual anyway. Its sort of a theft deterrent system :)

Reaction Score
I won't buy a new car. Why?
I don't want the car beeping at me cuz someone in the car doesn't have the seatbelt fastened.
I don't want headlights flashing and audible beeps when I lock/unlock the car.
I don't want side marker lights activating when someone is in my blind spot, I know how to turn my head before changing lanes.
I don't want lane assist or parking assist. I can turn the steering wheel manually.
I don't want my headlights turning on or off automatically. I can turn them on/off manually.
I don't want my car beeping when I'm in reverse and going 0.05 mph backing into a spot and the car behind me is 2 feet away and then the car actually ENGAGES the brake so I CANNOT move back any more (happened on a rental car recently).

So my daily driver is from 1996. Everything manual, including transmission. I actually leave it unlocked with the key in the car, cuz its a POS and 90% of people don't know how to drive manual anyway. Its sort of a theft deterrent system :)
I agree with you on >50% but you are missing out on:
Key - I put mine in my pocket and that's that, doors open automatically when you stand next to them, car starts with press of button.
Lights - I never touch the headlight button set to auto, yes they sometimes are on when I wouldn't put them on but its marginally safer/who cares
Lane Change - My 2008 Vehicle doesn't have it but my wife's 2018 does, its either a beep or a red light when you look in the mirror, the beep only occurs IF you have a turn signal on - of course you still look, but belts & suspenders safety-wise doesn't hurt and it likely has prevented more than a few mutual swerves on our nations highways even if not in my significant other's trips.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Didn't read the whole thread, but if I'm going well above the speed limit on a single lane road and you're still on my ass, I WILL begin driving 20mph below the speed limit the rest of the way.

Sign on back window of pickup truck “ stay off my asz I’m not in heat”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlueWolf25

Top Bottom