OT: - What’s the biggest hardo thing you do out of principal? | Page 10 | The Boneyard

OT: What’s the biggest hardo thing you do out of principal?

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Most people split the check these days, at least when I was single and dating in DC back in 2012-14.

We are likely close in age, this is all hypothetical I haven’t been single since ‘14

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Most people split the check these days, at least when I was single and dating in DC back in 2012-14.

EDIT

Ya, I have not been single since, actually I was wrong, late 2013.

Yeah... I guess I shared a pro tip.

I guess it’s possible when trying to interact with women you should take Travelman’s advice over mine.

With the whaler method you both have intercourse and your dignity. I guess the other path saves you $28 if you don’t tip on the tax.

Reaction Score
Yeah... I guess I shared a pro tip.

I guess it’s possible when trying to interact with women you should take Travelman’s advice over mine.

With the whaler method you both have intercourse and your dignity. I guess the other path saves you $28 if you don’t tip on the tax.
ok whaler.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Most of the roads around where we live are 25 mph. When we were shufflin our younguns back and forth to URI from CT, we'd pretty much do 40-45 on those. Now that we live here, I do 25...maaaybe 28, 29. And when the cars stack up behind me, I point to the 25 MPH signs...

4th favorite BY poster found.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don’t live in CT anymore. In SC we have Publix. There are cashiers waiting outside of there checkout lanes asking if you are ready to check out. It has a lot to do with corporate culture, management, and hiring standards.

Publix runs a nice store. When visiting my parents I've been to the one on St. Helena Island often.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Hardooooo!!!

I actually agree with this in principle, but I never do it in practice because of the risk that it is perceived as less-than-generous by the recipient, thereby defeating the primary purpose of the tip.

Sure, except that when I was younger, 15% was standard. Then it became 18%. Now 20%. Which is, if you think about it, and absurdly high percentage on top of a meal and tax. It's almost 30% combined. I also tip fully on the wine, unless we splurged on a higher priced bottle.

My general policy is to calculate it roughly between 18% and 20% depending on quality of service.

If I'm at Chilis type place and service is good then a straight 20%. That's single mom/student waitress land. They need the extra $1 or two way more than me. If I'm at a higher priced place, I may be a bit more detailed about tax/wine unless the service was exceptional. Part of that is that I am not a table squatter. I'm in and out quickly. Nobody is lingering over me for much more than an hour. Table squatters need to be big tippers because they are cutting into the overall tip potential.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Sure, except that when I was younger, 15% was standard. Then it became 18%. Now 20%. Which is, if you think about it, and absurdly high percentage on top of a meal and tax. It's almost 30% combined. I also tip fully on the wine, unless we splurged on a higher priced bottle.

My general policy is to calculate it roughly between 18% and 20% depending on quality of service.

If I'm at Chilis type place and service is good then a straight 20%. That's single mom/student waitress land. They need the extra $1 or two way more than me. If I'm at a higher priced place, I may be a bit more detailed about tax/wine unless the service was exceptional. Part of that is that I am not a table squatter. I'm in and out quickly. Nobody is lingering over me for much more than an hour. Table squatters need to be big tippers because they are cutting into the overall tip potential.
Agree generally with this, but I spent over ten years working in the restaurant/bar service industry, and the two of my daughters who are old enough to work have been doing so for the past several years, so I tend to err on the side of over-tipping. Unless I'm really trying to send a message about poor service, I usually conclude that a little extra is worth it in the end, and not enough for me to worry about.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I posted about not tipping tax because it's a principle I believe in. Regardless if I'm in a state with no sales tax or a state with a 7% sales tax, my server is getting tipped based solely on their level of service, and not benefiting from additional income (or losing income) because of how their state/city/county chooses to tax. That's what tips are for. If you found yourself in a city with a 15% sales tax, would you feel the same way about tipping on the total bill? And why should the server at a restaurant where there's no sales tax get a smaller tip for providing the same level of effort serving you?

The topic was about things one does out of principle. I wasn't expecting that to devolve into yet another thread on tipping.

FTR, I also came out of the foodservice industry. Because of that experience, when I receive outstanding service, I not only tip generously, but will also say something to the manager/owner or drop an email to corporate praising the server by name.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I posted about not tipping tax because it's a principle I believe in. Regardless if I'm in a state with no sales tax or a state with a 7% sales tax, my server is getting tipped based solely on their level of service, and not benefiting from additional income (or losing income) because of how their state/city/county chooses to tax. That's what tips are for. If you found yourself in a city with a 15% sales tax, would you feel the same way about tipping on the total bill? And why should the server at a restaurant where there's no sales tax get a smaller tip for providing the same level of effort serving you?

The topic was about things one does out of principle. I wasn't expecting that to devolve into yet another thread on tipping.

FTR, I also came out of the foodservice industry. Because of that experience, when I receive outstanding service, I not only tip generously, but will also say something to the manager/owner or drop an email to corporate praising the server by name.
Jeez louise, I said I agreed with you in principle and I explained why I don't do it in practice: perception is reality. I'm not sure how my difference in practice has devolved the discussion. Simply because it offends your sensibilities?

My point is simply something that I have learned over the years: It's okay to overpay sometimes, as long as you know why you are doing it.

Yes, the ostensible purpose of a good tip is to reward good service you have already received. Frequently, I am tipping in an establishment to which I intend to return, and in those instances I am also tipping well in hopes of receiving great service the next time I walk in the door. If I am known as "tipping calculator, no-tax guy" I don't expect that I will be greeted as cheerily next time as I am for spending a buck or two more. That, to me, is a situation when overpaying is worth it.

This reminds me of a similar dynamic: dining out with friends. One of my best friends since childhood is one of those who always either asks for separate checks, or he examines the group check to make sure he is only paying for what he had instead of dividing the bill equally among the diners. I get it: if I am ordering an expensive bottle of wine and you are not drinking, rest assured I will make sure that I contribute more, accordingly. But the "Um, I got the chicken sandwich and you guys got the salmon" business drives me insane. Another longtime friend is even worse: he will consciously avoid ordering wine in any restaurant because he insists it's more overpriced than any other alcoholic beverage, then he will enjoy a glass when the server pours it for him, only to later insist that he pay less than those who "ordered" the wine. We have come to avoid dining out with these people at all costs because it is so awkward and unpleasant.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Jeez louise, I said I agreed with you in principle and I explained why I don't do it in practice: perception is reality. I'm not sure how my difference in practice has devolved the discussion. Simply because it offends your sensibilities?

My point is simply something that I have learned over the years: It's okay to overpay sometimes, as long as you know why you are doing it.

Yes, the ostensible purpose of a good tip is to reward good service you have already received. Frequently, I am tipping in an establishment to which I intend to return, and in those instances I am also tipping well in hopes of receiving great service the next time I walk in the door. If I am known as "tipping calculator, no-tax guy" I don't expect that I will be greeted as cheerily next time as I am for spending a buck or two more. That, to me, is a situation when overpaying is worth it.

This reminds me of a similar dynamic: dining out with friends. One of my best friends since childhood is one of those who always either asks for separate checks, or he examines the group check to make sure he is only paying for what he had instead of dividing the bill equally among the diners. I get it: if I am ordering an expensive bottle of wine and you are not drinking, rest assured I will make sure that I contribute more, accordingly. But the "Um, I got the chicken sandwich and you guys got the salmon" business drives me insane. Another longtime friend is even worse: he will consciously avoid ordering wine in any restaurant because he insists it's more overpriced than any other alcoholic beverage, then he will enjoy a glass when the server pours it for him, only to later insist that he pay less than those who "ordered" the wine. We have come to avoid dining out with these people at all costs because it is so awkward and unpleasant.

LOL. May need new friends.

I had an experience a couple of weeks ago on Cape Cod. We split the bill with another family. We had a $100 gift card and added cash. Server put the rest on the credit card of the other family...who proceeded to tip on that amount. I mentioned that this was wrong but they didn't seem to understand. Ugh.

Long ago, after law school, I was dating a girl (twice) and she called and said she and friends were at a bar down the street from my apartment. I met them (about 8-10 people) and had one beer. Some of them left, and threw down cash. Then the others were ready to go. None had a credit card they were willing to use, and they were way short, even without a tip. I ended up paying about $70 for a Sam Adams and declined the invitation to join them further.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
LOL. May need new friends.

I had an experience a couple of weeks ago on Cape Cod. We split the bill with another family. We had a $100 gift card and added cash. Server put the rest on the credit card of the other family...who proceeded to tip on that amount. I mentioned that this was wrong but they didn't seem to understand. Ugh.
Have had a similar experience a few times and I went back and slipped the server the extra $$ to make up for the difference.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Or let me at least clock in before I ring up my groceries.
I walk into the store, scan my card, grab a scanner gun (S&S) and pack the bags in my cart. When I'm done, I walk by you guys (often through the lines you've created) and into the self checkout area. I scan the scanner, pay for my groceries (sometimes with my phone), and leave. Stick to your principles though. I'm grateful.

More often than not, I do whatever is convenient for me. If some of those things are considered "hardo," so be it. If there are more than two cars at the drive-thru or more than one at a drive up ATM, I'm going inside. It's far better for me to be on my way than to sit in line for 15 minutes.

I may do something if it recovers me some amount of money. For instance, the TOMRA machines won't accept deposit containers that the associated store does not sell. According to the Bottle Bill, they are not required to, but Stop and Shop does. I will find an attendant and seek reimbursement for the bottles not accepted by the machine.

Reaction Score
One other thing, not supermarket related, that I go hardo about - I do not tip on tax. I am a generous tipper, but I'm simply not tipping on tax (7% here). On a $100 tab, that's generally $1.40 additional tip I don't pay. I can buy a pack of Twizzlers with that, thank you.

This, 100%. Not because I'm cheap, but because of the principle. I do not tip on money that is going to the state.

If a restaurant has a tipping guide printed on the bill, and it includes tip on the tax, I will leave them a note and correct the numbers. (This is also so that they know I'm tipping at 18% by my method and not 16% by theirs.)

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

There were several posts regarding tipping after my post, not just yours. Some of which were thinly veiled as the practice I employ being "cheap". My reply had zip to do with you, other than in the aggregate.

Regarding your last para, my experience would indicate you're projecting. I've never had an issue, especially not anywhere where I'm somewhat a regular.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sounds like a lot of people in this thread have watched the tipping scene from Reservoir Dogs one too many times.

I tip 20% of whatever the bill total is unless the service is really awful.

It’s the right thing to do and, frankly, it’s the hardo thing to do because it shows you have the disposable income to be able to do it. If you can’t afford to do it than you probably can’t afford to eat at the restaurant in the first place.

Not only that, but I round up. If the tip is, say, $20.35 I round up $21.

Some of you are real miserable jerk wads.

Reaction Score
This, 100%. Not because I'm cheap, but because of the principle. I do not tip on money that is going to the state.

If a restaurant has a tipping guide printed on the bill, and it includes tip on the tax, I will leave them a note and correct the numbers. (This is also so that they know I'm tipping at 18% by my method and not 16% by theirs.)

Nerd.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I’m sure they appreciate the note and were unaware before then. ;-P

That said, I do review the bill for errors, which I find frequently, and I point them out when I do. Oh and I also check to make sure the tip hasn’t been added automatically. Made that mistake once and it pissed me off for years.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
As
I’m sure they appreciate the note and were unaware before then. ;-P

That said, I do review the bill for errors, which I find frequently, and I point them out when I do. Oh and I also check to make sure the tip hasn’t been added automatically. Made that mistake once and it pissed me off for years.
Happened to my Sister-in-Law when we met up for a weekend in Washington D.C. there were only five of us and they added the automatic 18% gratuity for parties of six or more. My SIL crossed it off and left significantly less.

Reaction Score

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I tip 20% of whatever the bill total is unless the service is really awful.

It’s the right thing to do and, frankly, it’s the hardo thing to do because it shows you have the disposable income to be able to do it. If you can’t afford to do it than you probably can’t afford to eat at the restaurant in the first place.

Some of you are real miserable jerk wads.

To me tipping is always a variable. There's horrendous, poor, indifferent, good, great, exceptional and each gets rewarded accordingly. Even by not tipping on tax, I've left amounts ranging from 0% to 40%.

For reference, that 0% included breaking a wine glass, some of which ended up in my wife's salad, then dripping blood on her plate and using a napkin to wipe it off instead of removing the plate. Should I have rewarded that behavior?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I also tip fully on the wine, unless we splurged on a higher priced bottle.
Is not doing that a thing? I always include drinks when figuring tip.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom