OT: - What’s the biggest hardo thing you do out of principal? | Page 9 | The Boneyard

OT: What’s the biggest hardo thing you do out of principal?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
One other thing, not supermarket related, that I go hardo about - I do not tip on tax. I am a generous tipper, but I'm simply not tipping on tax (7% here). On a $100 tab, that's generally $1.40 additional tip I don't pay. I can buy a pack of Twizzlers with that, thank you.
Hardooooo!!!

I actually agree with this in principle, but I never do it in practice because of the risk that it is perceived as less-than-generous by the recipient, thereby defeating the primary purpose of the tip.

Reaction Score
Not at all. I suppose it depends on our definition of "motivated." Applying to and getting accepted at Sprawlmart does not, by my definition, constitute "motivated." Therein probably lies the difference between us.
I'm talking about the young woman 3 months ago who was having a running conversation with the woman in front of me that she conducted by pausing after every item BEEP to ask, "really??" Wow!" and so on. I eventually left a cart full of items in the lane and left. Hated to do it, but was out of time. The "scan and go" lanes were down that day.
Maybe people are more motivated where you are. Maybe this hoarde of zombies through which I daily wade is a microculture.
I don’t live in CT anymore. In SC we have Publix. There are cashiers waiting outside of there checkout lanes asking if you are ready to check out. It has a lot to do with corporate culture, management, and hiring standards.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
When I was a high school student I was pulled into the office because they claimed my hair exceeded two inches. I knew it didn't and asked them to measure. They did and I was correct even as they yanked at it to the point it caused pain.

In spite of being a good student and nothing on the records indicating trouble, in spite of not breaking the hair code as written, I was told to get it cut or be suspended. The argument was my hair was unkempt and that appearance incites trouble. It was a prejudice and stereotyping that would be difficult to pull off today.

When I went to college I didn't have those restraints. One day my next door neighbor challenged me to see who could grow the biggest afro. At Christmas break she comes over to my house, I answered the door and watched her joyful face deflate. She conceded but not before letting me know it wasn't fair a white dude could have the biggest afro.

Now I'm approaching 70, my hair is short, gray and missing in places. And I'm still getting stereotyped.
Hold on a sec...you're almost 70?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I will not go to the self check out at grocery stores. Hire humans you corporate pigs
A grocery near where I lived changed chains. The incoming chain hired all new employees. The wife and I were at party and everyone was outraged! Outraged, I say!

Well, not at first. It was a classic example of the "repercussion and intensification' phenomena. It started with a comment, escalated to disappointment and finally stopped at...OUTRAGE! They all promised to boycott the store which was the closest by far. People were getting all self-congratulatory about their mini-activism and then someone asked me "CL, what do you think?" My answer was "I think the boycott will last exactly until someone need a gallon of milk at 7PM." Everyone stopped was about to protest and then thought about it and said a quiet "yeah." Kind of a mood killer. (The lovely Mrs. 82 knowing that this was inevitably coming had already eased herself into another room before they asked me what I thought.)

So I'm with you husky429 100%, well until the line is shorter (or non-existent, as it often is) at self-checkout. My momentary enthusiasm wouldn't survive a extra 30 second wait in line.

Reaction Score
Most of the roads around where we live are 25 mph. When we were shufflin our younguns back and forth to URI from CT, we'd pretty much do 40-45 on those. Now that we live here, I do 25...maaaybe 28, 29. And when the cars stack up behind me, I point to the 25 MPH signs...

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
That is the mature response Fishy. Not to feel your manhood is under attack since a maniac needs to get one car ahead.

I used to get all pissed off with tailgating often giving brake jobs or slowing down to a coast. Now I often pull over while in a single lane road to let the annoying driver pass. Sometimes they are afraid to pass. I am more relaxed and the tailgater is on his way. They may have been in some type of emergency for all I know.

Exactly.

The risk/reward scale doesn't exist here.

Say you manage to keep the guy from getting in front of you. You gain what? Nothing. There's no trophy.

Say he manages to get in front of you. He gets nothing.

Say one of you miscalculates the space and there's a wreck. The potential there for lifelong regret is huge - the rest of us aren't in your game of chicken, but we still stand to lose everything.

It's all life-altering risk with other peoples' well-being with no possibility of reward.

Grow up before someone gets hurt.

Reaction Score
I actually agree with this in principle, but I never do it in practice because of the risk that it is perceived as less-than-generous by the recipient, thereby defeating the primary purpose of the tip.
Same same sentiments, but I know my wife absolutely follows the no tip on tax policy as she builds her US credit rating paying our shared dinner bills. Selectively avoiding possible debates, I look the other way.

Now, limited service take away meals since returning to the States and suggested tips on Apple templates cause some personal head shaking. Too little, too much, yikes, am I being a cheap barstad ...

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Same same sentiments, but I know my wife absolutely follows the no tip on tax policy as she builds her US credit rating paying our shared dinner bills. Selectively avoiding possible debates, I look the other way.

Now, limited service take away meals since returning to the States and suggested tips on Apple templates cause some personal head shaking. Too little, too much, yikes, am I being a cheap barstad ...

Wait what? She pulls out a calculator to deduct the tax before the tip? This sounds awful.

Reaction Score
My wife wipes down her tray, her seat, the entire seat back she's facing, the seat belts, the wall of the plane near her. And then she does the same for my daughter's seat and my seat. And then when we get where we're going, she wipes down the hotel room. TSA bomb-swipes her Clorox wipe container almost every damned time we fly.

I'm 6'2 and I always end up with some 5'5" bro in front of me who needs to recline even though his stubby little legs barely touch the floor. My solution was to book my wife and kid into the seats in front of me. They're like 5'2 and not even aware that the seats have a recline button.
You and the wife making love?
ydmy1Nf.jpg

Reaction Score
Wait what? She pulls out a calculator to deduct the tax before the tip? This sounds awful.
I've noticed that's a generational thing. Only seen it with people who are now 75+.

Reaction Score
You have married wisely. At hotel room definitely give the remote control, bathroom door handle, A/C unit controls, fridge/microwave and door knobs a good wiping. If there is an in-room coffee maker that I may possibly use, it's getting a couple of flushes with fresh water to see how things make it through the maker.

In general I like to check out as much stuff in a room anyway, so having a antibacterial wipe in my hand while I'm investigating isn't much of a time or energy commitment.
It's insane, you could be like Bill Murray in What About Bob? and you're going to get just as much germs on you as everyone else who doesn't give a s*** about it.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
if you are letting her pay hopefully she ghosted you first

I'm only going back and forth so many times. After a while she can have it.

Reaction Score
Calculator? Hardly, a numerical wizard yet most educated adults process such basic math even in the US

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
On the tip and tax thing, I'm fortunate enough to live in an area with 7.5% sales tax. So, look at the bill, double the sales tax and throw in a buck or two or three depending on size of bill and I'm somewhere in the 18%-20% tip range. Easy and reliable.

Reaction Score
On the tip and tax thing, I'm fortunate enough to live in an area with 7.5% sales tax. So, look at the bill, double the sales tax and throw in a buck or two or three depending on size of bill and I'm somewhere in the 18%-20% tip range. Easy and reliable.
Most quality restaurants in BC, the real one in Canada, make it even easier on their card gizmos. No Loony-denominated tipping allowed, just select your preferred % on the total C$ amount and off you go

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
My in laws always want to pick up the check, which is nice, but they sometimes are a little light on the tip. I’ve become a master of the slip away and bonus tip, especially for good servers.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Calculator? Hardly, a numerical wizard yet most educated adults process such basic math even in the US

I've noticed that's a generational thing. Only seen it with people who are now 75+.

;)

Reaction Score
Most people split the check these days, at least when I was single and dating in DC back in 2012-14.

EDIT
We are likely close in age, this is all hypothetical I haven’t been single since ‘14
Ya, I have not been single since, actually I was wrong, late 2013.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom