OT: - What’s the biggest hardo thing you do out of principal? | Page 8 | The Boneyard

OT: What’s the biggest hardo thing you do out of principal?

Reaction Score
I love playing the recline game. I gladly accept the reduced knee space for the pleasure of banging my knees and tray in to back of seat. And then the magazine pocket? I'm constantly dropping stuff in there and having to fish it out.

Plus, I tend to cough and sneeze a lot when seats recline.

I like putting the tray down and trying to sleep with forearms and head resting on it. I fidget a lot too. I'm 6'3. If the person in front of me fully reclines I am going all out passive aggressive.

Reaction Score
In my case I was referring to a stoped line of traffic. For example one time going to the Big E and there was a line of traffic a 1/2 mile to a mile long. There were people bypassing the whole line and driving right up to the exit attempting to cut the line. I hugged the car ahead of me and didn't allow them in. Fortunately a Mass. state cop saw what was going on and started sending the line cutters away. I don't understand why some people think this is okay.

I feel the same way. I look at it as a deli counter you take a number and wait your turn. Who the hell do they think they are thinking they are more important and pretty much just telling everyone else to f off

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
I feel the same way. I look at it as a deli counter you take a number and wait your turn. Who the hell do they think they are thinking they are more important and pretty much just telling everyone else to f off
Before there was the internet, there was people in cars.

Being faceless, and not having to connect personally with the face you hurt, just brings out the worst in people.

Reaction Score
Maybe I'm alone, but I adore self checkout. Nothing more painful than watching unmotivated young people with zero inclination to interact with me fumble around attempting to figure whether what they are holding is a leek or an avocado.

Regarding showing receipt at the door and putting back packs in lockers . . . meh. We live in a society where petty theft is tolerated. My relative works in a mall store where they can't do a thing when somebody is stealing. They literally let them take the clothes and walk out, without calling mall security or even addressing them. I have no issues with showing a receipt or putting a bag in a locker. You can always just not shop there.
You'll change your tune when Skynet kills us all lol!

Reaction Score
Being faceless, and not having to connect personally with the face you hurt, just brings out the worst in people.
Ya, but people who do that are kind of weak of spirit, mind and heart so I just shrug it off and hope they find their own happiness. You see it here sometimes, not as much as other areas of the internet though. Happy people don't insult others.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I like putting the tray down and trying to sleep with forearms and head resting on it. I fidget a lot too. I'm 6'3. If the person in front of me fully reclines I am going all out passive aggressive.

Maybe hardo on my part but I assume tray is basically a petri dish of germs.

I always wipe that down with antibiotic wipes when getting settled in to seat before leaving gate.

Reaction Score

I always wipe that down with antibiotic wipes when getting settled in to seat before leaving gate.

I hate flying, afraid of heights. When I am 35k in the sky and heavily sedated with Xanax, the only thing that reminds me I'm human is my hatred of the recliner in front of me. Germs, don't care.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
People seem to be assuming that I’m driving slow in the left lane which is not the case. That drives me nuts as well. But when I’m going 80 and there’s a car in front of me and I can see the guy behind weaving in and out jockeying for position... I’m not gonna just let him cut in front of me.

One thing that will keep you and the people who have to drive in close proximity to you alive is leaving your competitive side home when you get in the car.

I commute about 130-150 miles a day. People who cause accidents....

1) The people weaving in and out.
2) The people who want to teach them a lesson.

Just don't. Let them get in front of you and then let them weave themselves out of your life without anyone having to pry either carcass out of a wreck. ("But I'm a great driver!" You're not.)

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I hate it when there are cars in the "No standing vehicles" area in front of the store waiting for their lazy arsed passengers to come out of the store - rather than using the parking lot

I despise people who come out of a place into their cars in a parking lot that is full and sit there and talk on their phone or play with their phone for more than a minute while many are looking for parking spaces

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

My wife wipes down her tray, her seat, the entire seat back she's facing, the seat belts, the wall of the plane near her. And then she does the same for my daughter's seat and my seat. And then when we get where we're going, she wipes down the hotel room. TSA bomb-swipes her Clorox wipe container almost every damned time we fly.

I hate flying, afraid of heights. When I am 35k in the sky and heavily sedated with Xanax, the only thing that reminds me I'm human is my hatred of the recliner in front of me. Germs, don't care.

I'm 6'2 and I always end up with some 5'5" bro in front of me who needs to recline even though his stubby little legs barely touch the floor. My solution was to book my wife and kid into the seats in front of me. They're like 5'2 and not even aware that the seats have a recline button.

Reaction Score
British (and Yanks alike) are more easily triggered today because of modern technology.

Good thing such a study was commissioned; shockingly no shiite!

Reaction Score

Oh come on, you're trying to take hardo points for that? That's not hardo in the least. That's softo.

Not saying I disagree with the practice, mind you. But a true hardo would eat the antibiotic wipe after you used it. Just because.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Oh come on, you're trying to take hardo points for that? That's not hardo in the least. That's softo.

Not saying I disagree with the practice, mind you. But a true hardo would eat the antibiotic wipe after you used it. Just because.
Nah a true hardo would wipe down the person in seat next to them... just because.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
One thing that will keep you and the people who have to drive in close proximity to you alive is leaving your competitive side home when you get in the car.

Just don't. Let them get in front of you and then let them weave themselves out of your life without anyone having to pry either carcass out of a wreck. ("But I'm a great driver!" You're not.)
But I am a great driver...

Point noted. Safety first.

Reaction Score

That is the mature response Fishy. Not to feel your manhood is under attack since a maniac needs to get one car ahead.

I used to get all pissed off with tailgating often giving brake jobs or slowing down to a coast. Now I often pull over while in a single lane road to let the annoying driver pass. Sometimes they are afraid to pass. I am more relaxed and the tailgater is on his way. They may have been in some type of emergency for all I know.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
My wife wipes down her tray, her seat, the entire seat back she's facing, the seat belts, the wall of the plane near her. And then she does the same for my daughter's seat and my seat. And then when we get where we're going, she wipes down the hotel room. TSA bomb-swipes her Clorox wipe container almost every damned time we fly.

I'm 6'2 and I always end up with some 5'5" bro in front of me who needs to recline even though his stubby little legs barely touch the floor. My solution was to book my wife and kid into the seats in front of me. They're like 5'2 and not even aware that the seats have a recline button.

You have married wisely. At hotel room definitely give the remote control, bathroom door handle, A/C unit controls, fridge/microwave and door knobs a good wiping. If there is an in-room coffee maker that I may possibly use, it's getting a couple of flushes with fresh water to see how things make it through the maker.

In general I like to check out as much stuff in a room anyway, so having a antibacterial wipe in my hand while I'm investigating isn't much of a time or energy commitment.

Reaction Score
After the wounded warrior stuff came out a few years back where essentially none of the money was going to the wounded vets, but rather to expensive retreats for execs (it has since been rectified to my understanding) I'm pretty skeptical about a lot of charities.

I don't have a ton of $ to throw around to charities but I like to make it count when I do.

I google charities to make sure if legit or what % goes to the charity instead of execs. What I hate is when I started giving to charity and they sell my name to others. I now get at least 7 requests by mail every day. I hate the ones that mail you address stickers with their requests. I won’t live long enough to use them all. Now I just automatically dump them.
The other thing that drives me nuts is this S.S. Bill in Congress. They get dumped now also. They all want $$$$.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I google charities to make sure if legit or what % goes to the charity instead of execs. What I hate is when I started giving to charity and they sell my name to others. I now get at least 7 requests by mail every day. I hate the ones that mail you address stickers with their requests. I won’t live long enough to use them all. Now I just automatically dump them.
The other thing that drives me nuts is this S.S. Bill in Congress. They get dumped now also. They all want $$$$.

Funny you mention that; my brother in law used to live at the same apartment as where I currently live, and we still get stuff from Wounded Warrior in our mailbox because the building knows we are related but that he no longer lives here.

Reaction Score
If the hardo behavior is out of a principled stance to not give out information & avoid all reward programs he's got a point. Maybe he can modify his reactions to increase the odds the questions aren't asked, but a hardo's principle to avoid rewards programs may supersede the principle of civility.

There is zero chance that you will stop cashiers from asking you about rewards programs by yelling at a cashier. Zero. Sometimes the ask is scripted so you aren't going to change that part either. And let's be honest. It isn't how the customer is asked. It's that the customer is asked.

You could complain to the store manager and he will listen to you because he's the manager. He isn't going to do anything about your complaint - except maybe yell at the cashier just to satisfy you. The awards programs are about profit. He's judged on store profitability. He doesn't have any choice either.

The people who are actually responsible aren't in the store. Btw, they don't care about this complaint at all. They are looking at aggregate financial figures. They know how much money they make from these rewards programs. They know that some people get irritated. That irritation is an acceptable cost of business.

The cashiers don't want to do this any more than you want to hear it. Being uncivil to a cashier accomplishes nothing except to hurt the cashier. Well, it makes the customer feel good to punish someone for his annoyance. That's really the principle involved.

Reaction Score
Has this guy on a random message board said one thing that is untrue? Even so much as one thing? Show it to me. In fact you are talking about "a guy on a random message board" because you know that what I am saying is true. Everyone else reading this thread knows it is true as well. If you could defend your behavior, you would. You can't so you attack.

This is not about "manners'. Do you think it's pleasant to get yelled at by some random guy in a store who is yelling at you simply because he knows you have to take it? Who is irritated because of the offer you are required to make and wants to make someone suffer for the sake of his irritation? Think. It's not all about you even if you are a customer.

First off, that's your opinion so there is no true or untrue aspect to it.
Second, you don't really know what I have said. Where did I say I "yelled" at anyone?

Maybe when you stop spinning yarns and spouting your opinion as fact, you'll be better off.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I'm a huge hardo to old white people who give me dirty looks in first class, asking me what I do for work, etc. There was an old guy at an upscale hotel this past weekend who asked me if I was an athlete or in a wedding. I was a massive hardo to him out of principal.

I should note my non-black fiance isn't a fan of me being a hardo, but does find it funny when I treat these uppity people awfully.
When I was a high school student I was pulled into the office because they claimed my hair exceeded two inches. I knew it didn't and asked them to measure. They did and I was correct even as they yanked at it to the point it caused pain.

In spite of being a good student and nothing on the records indicating trouble, in spite of not breaking the hair code as written, I was told to get it cut or be suspended. The argument was my hair was unkempt and that appearance incites trouble. It was a prejudice and stereotyping that would be difficult to pull off today.

When I went to college I didn't have those restraints. One day my next door neighbor challenged me to see who could grow the biggest afro. At Christmas break she comes over to my house, I answered the door and watched her joyful face deflate. She conceded but not before letting me know it wasn't fair a white dude could have the biggest afro.

Now I'm approaching 70, my hair is short, gray and missing in places. And I'm still getting stereotyped.

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Can’t stand when stores like Best Buy, Bed, Bath, & Beyond, and Walmart have “Security” checking everyone’s receipt on the way out of the store.

Other than Sam's and Costco, that is an unfamiliar concept here in Pittsburgh.

Suggest moving to a different town...

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Think of all the art, science and entertainment that would be produced if everyone's basics needs were met through automation.

About all the "art and entertainment" I'd expect from that world would be more reality shows and Jackass-inspired YT vids.

More likely you'd just get more schtupping.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
2. Buying $200 worth of groceries but you have to bag them yourself. One day I’m gonna Go to the register at Stop and Shop , put $300 worth of meats on the cashier belt , and walk out in protest.

I am a hardo on bagging my own. I generally bring my own bags and sort stuff not only to separate freezer/fridge/other, but to sort that other by what cupboard/cabinet/closet it's going into.

My other bugaboos besides hating being asked if I want to donate to school supplies or whatever other charity the cashier is being forced to ask me about, is that our main supermarket chain here (Giant Eagle) is known for hiring differently abled folks. And quite often they're used as baggers. Sorry, I do not have time to explain my system to you. Go to another register.

No, I do not need a plastic bag for my meat products. I don't care if they bleed. I throw the bag in the washer. Besides, you're gonna lick you fingers in order to get that plastic bag opened.

At TJ's my annoyance is that the cashier removes all the things on top of my basket first as the heavier stuff is at the bottom, meaning I have to wait for those cans and jugs and jars before I can start bagging.

One other thing, not supermarket related, that I go hardo about - I do not tip on tax. I am a generous tipper, but I'm simply not tipping on tax (7% here). On a $100 tab, that's generally $1.40 additional tip I don't pay. I can buy a pack of Twizzlers with that, thank you.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
About all the "art and entertainment" I'd expect from that world would be more reality shows and Jackass-inspired YT vids.

More likely you'd just get more schtupping.
Idiocracy comes to mind.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom