OT: - What’s the biggest hardo thing you do out of principal? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: What’s the biggest hardo thing you do out of principal?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I don't like it when people say "no thanks" or "not today" to the cashier when asked to donate to the random charity.

Why are people thanking someone for asking them to donate money? And, not today? What you're going to donate tomorrow?

Simply put, no.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don't like it when people say "no thanks" or "not today" to the cashier when asked to donate to the random charity.

Why are people thanking someone for asking them to donate money? And, not today? What you're going to donate tomorrow?

Simply put, no.

Interesting. I find it much more annoying to be constantly bombarded by requests - especially by high overhead chartities that pass little money to those they claim to be helping. *united way* cough cough

Reaction Score
I always get a receipt. Deal is, if I bring home receipts, the misses, who also pays all the bills, will keep the checking account details current. Yes, I'll take that receipt.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Interesting. I find it much more annoying to be constantly bombarded by requests - especially by high overhead chartities that pass little money to those they claim to be helping. *united way* cough cough

After the wounded warrior stuff came out a few years back where essentially none of the money was going to the wounded vets, but rather to expensive retreats for execs (it has since been rectified to my understanding) I'm pretty skeptical about a lot of charities.

I don't have a ton of $ to throw around to charities but I like to make it count when I do.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
After the wounded warrior stuff came out a few years back where essentially none of the money was going to the wounded vets, but rather to expensive retreats for execs (it has since been rectified to my understanding) I'm pretty skeptical about a lot of charities.

I don't have a ton of $ to throw around to charities but I like to make it count when I do.

most of the national charities are complete scams. even the dollars that dont go to ‘overhead’ are wasted. just look at what happens when you donate $50 - you get $200 of print marketing in your mailbox within 6 months

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
1) When you’re at a gas station or some other type of small store and some yokel decides that he will start the line to the register by standing about 10’ away from it so that everyone else is lined up in an aisle. Generally, this happens when there are two registers and the guy wants to hedge his bets instead of committing to one register.

2) When the Girl Scouts or some athletic team sets their donation booth right at the entrance of some store. I do not want your stupid cookies and my daughter is on two swim teams which I pay for without sitting in front BestBuy pestering other people for coins. Your football team’s trip to Susquehanna is not a cause I need to see through.

3) Overly familiar sales people. We were not frat brothers. I do not know you. You dialed my phone and I answered it - calling me ‘buddy’ or pretending we’re in some shared experience will do nothing but hasten the inevitable end of our discussion.

4) People breathing near me.

Reaction Score
There are NO jobs that are automation proof. As an attorney, I often wonder how long it will be before we see the first automated Public Defender. Many are good, and many are trash, but they are all overworked and underpaid. How long until an AI bot can get a better result because it can evaluate a thousand prior cases with similar facts, and also factor in the particular DA, the judge, and so on?
It sounds far fetched, but the fact is, it's only a matter of time.
Computers have been "smarter" than humans in the sense of number crunching for about half of a century.
Big Blue beat Kasparov in 1997.
Now, the supercomputer in your hand, which we call a phone, can beat any human at any game, any time, with few exceptions.
What has happened - virtually unnoticed - in the last decade or so is a tremendous advancement in AI. Most people think AI and they think Schwartzanegger Terminator, or C3PO, or something like that.
AI is really about teaching computers how to learn for themselves.

The most critical thing to always remember about AI is that it MUST get better, every single hour, every single day FOREVER. I mean, unless we revolt and stop it, which we won't.
AI is exploding, and the pace of improvement may well be geometric. What that means is that the AI bots in 10 years are going to be orders more intelligent and intuitive than the ones today?

In 50 years? It's hard to see any result other than AI bots running everything.

In terms of what jobs are safe? None.

Computers continue to get faster and smaller.
Robotics has come of age and BR now has bots that can run you down over an open field.
Miniaturization and nanotechnology has come of age.
The final, required component - if the goal is super machines - is AI, which has now come of age.

Google had a stick figure running down a corridor a year or so ago. Seemed simple. Maybe not worth noticing. But it was huge. It was, literally, the final advancement of AI taking its first steps.

We are not far from the day when an AI bot will walk up to you, tell you to stand still, scan your face, check you for violations, and then either choose to let you go or choose to detain you.

What's terrifying is that the human condition is stagnant, and changes over millennia. The AI Bot condition? It improves every day, forever.

Humans must be surpassed. In everything. It's not if, it's when.

The final wars will be fought with technology, not flesh. You'll be vanquised when their technology beats yours. There won't be any hiding under the ground, fighting it out. Dominant tech will just keep getting more dominant.

The only wild card I see is energy - without cheap energy, AI becomes less advantageous. Perhaps that's our only way of remaining dominant - go primative.

The future is absolutely terrifying.
This is what my grandfather said about Elvis and the Beetles

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
most of the national charities are complete scams. even the dollars that dont go to ‘overhead’ are wasted. just look at what happens when you donate $50 - you get $200 of print marketing in your mailbox within 6 months

The conversion of those materials must be negative in the sense people are less likely to donate after getting bombarded.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
2) When the Girl Scouts or some athletic team sets their donation booth right at the entrance of some store. I do not want your stupid cookies and my daughter is on two swim teams which I pay for without sitting in front BestBuy pestering other people for coins. Your football team’s trip to Susquehanna is not a cause I need to see through.
This is the worst. When they run up and bombard you, very loudly, with requests to buy cookies or whatever. And the parents just stand there, ignoring how obnoxioud their kids are being. I'll buy a box of cookies, just be mindful of the strangers you're pestering.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
I think this guy's a bot.
why? cause im not miserable 24/7? have sum!
oh, and it might be time to up that prescription.
'In 50 years? It's hard to see any result other than AI bots running everything.'
maybe toss in one of those 'smart' hurrycanes, too. I hear that they now come in 'blue.'
party on, wayne.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

To be honest I have no idea what the United Way does. All I know is I’m bombarded with work emails every year for their annual giving campaign.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
This is the worst. When they run up and bombard you, very loudly, with requests to buy cookies or whatever. And the parents just stand there, ignoring how obnoxioud their kids are being. I'll buy a box of cookies, just be mindful of the strangers you're pestering.
I laugh internally when young kids say their schpiel so fast it is totally undecipherable. So I ask them to repeat it. They stammer. I walk away.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
1. Your in a rush but you need to stop at the gas station for gas, etc. What should’ve been a 5 minute gas stop turns into 10-15 minutes because your behind the notorious daily number lottery player guy. The worse. These guys stand in front of the lottery register and recite a list of $75 worth of numbers and then check them before they move. Sometimes you get the guy that goes into a trance like state and pulls 5 minutes of numbers down from the universe. The worst. Usually I kick something over or leave my gas pump on the ground afterwards.

2. Buying $200 worth of groceries but you have to bag them yourself. One day I’m gonna Go to the register at Stop and Shop , put $300 worth of meats on the cashier belt , and walk out in protest.

Last edited:

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score

I was hosting a few friends from Australia last week. They waited for me outside of a stripmall as I went to the bathroom and during this time they got accosted by 7 and 8 year old cheerleaders selling cookies. One pays with a $20 and the girls, having no change, runs to the nearby Safeway to make him whole. Five minutes later it's clear that she's forgotten her responsibility (at this point they're bothering other people) and my friend is faced with confronting a young child or letting it slide. We did cross paths as we walked to our car and he asked where his change was, at which point the confused girl apologized and directed him to the adults. They ended up selling him a few more brownies.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Self check out and the Stop & Shop handheld scanners are great, especially if I have my kids in tow. They like to scan and I don't have to take everything out of bags only to be repacked.

That spill robot is annoying though and the employees hate it because it is not very accurate.

Husky25

Reaction Score

Simply put, no.
You hate when people are polite?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
You hate when people are polite?

No. I think they are stupid responses that don't even make sense.

You're not donating today, tomorrow, or ever.

And why are you thanking someone for their offer of asking you for money?

Reaction Score

I think this is one of the few appropriate "hardo" responses. Everything you say makes sense. But I will always say "no thanks" because it's more comfortable and this isn't my hardo position.

Husky25

Reaction Score

"No, thank you" is the polite way to decline anything. It's what you learn at 5 years old. It's been the appropriate idiom for at least the last 40 years.

Reaction Score

Thank you for your response

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom