OT: - What’s the biggest hardo thing you do out of principal? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: What’s the biggest hardo thing you do out of principal?

Reaction Score
I am like Will Ferril in the coffee shop scene from the movie Kicking and Screaming. When I need my coffee, get the frig out of my way!

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
There are NO jobs that are automation proof. As an attorney, I often wonder how long it will be before we see the first automated Public Defender. Many are good, and many are trash, but they are all overworked and underpaid. How long until an AI bot can get a better result because it can evaluate a thousand prior cases with similar facts, and also factor in the particular DA, the judge, and so on?
It sounds far fetched, but the fact is, it's only a matter of time.
Computers have been "smarter" than humans in the sense of number crunching for about half of a century.
Big Blue beat Kasparov in 1997.
Now, the supercomputer in your hand, which we call a phone, can beat any human at any game, any time, with few exceptions.
What has happened - virtually unnoticed - in the last decade or so is a tremendous advancement in AI. Most people think AI and they think Schwartzanegger Terminator, or C3PO, or something like that.
AI is really about teaching computers how to learn for themselves.

The most critical thing to always remember about AI is that it MUST get better, every single hour, every single day FOREVER. I mean, unless we revolt and stop it, which we won't.
AI is exploding, and the pace of improvement may well be geometric. What that means is that the AI bots in 10 years are going to be orders more intelligent and intuitive than the ones today?

In 50 years? It's hard to see any result other than AI bots running everything.

In terms of what jobs are safe? None.

Computers continue to get faster and smaller.
Robotics has come of age and BR now has bots that can run you down over an open field.
Miniaturization and nanotechnology has come of age.
The final, required component - if the goal is super machines - is AI, which has now come of age.

Google had a stick figure running down a corridor a year or so ago. Seemed simple. Maybe not worth noticing. But it was huge. It was, literally, the final advancement of AI taking its first steps.

We are not far from the day when an AI bot will walk up to you, tell you to stand still, scan your face, check you for violations, and then either choose to let you go or choose to detain you.

What's terrifying is that the human condition is stagnant, and changes over millennia. The AI Bot condition? It improves every day, forever.

Humans must be surpassed. In everything. It's not if, it's when.

The final wars will be fought with technology, not flesh. You'll be vanquised when their technology beats yours. There won't be any hiding under the ground, fighting it out. Dominant tech will just keep getting more dominant.

The only wild card I see is energy - without cheap energy, AI becomes less advantageous. Perhaps that's our only way of remaining dominant - go primative.

The future is absolutely terrifying.

When people overreach, I unapologetically call out typos & misspellings.

Reaction Score
There are NO jobs that are automation proof. As an attorney, I often wonder how long it will be before we see the first automated Public Defender. Many are good, and many are trash, but they are all overworked and underpaid. How long until an AI bot can get a better result because it can evaluate a thousand prior cases with similar facts, and also factor in the particular DA, the judge, and so on?
Computers have been "smarter" than humans in the sense of number crunching for about half of a century.
Now, the supercomputer in your hand, which we call a phone, can beat any human at any game, any time, with few exceptions.
What has happened - virtually unnoticed - in the last decade or so is a tremendous advancement in AI. Most people think AI and they think Schwartzanegger Terminator, or C3PO, or something like that.

The most critical thing to always remember about AI is that it MUST get better, every single hour, every single day FOREVER. I mean, unless we revolt and stop it, which we won't.
AI is exploding, and the pace of improvement may well be geometric. What that means is that the AI bots in 10 years are going to be orders more intelligent and intuitive than the ones today?

Robotics has come of age and BR now has bots that can run you down over an open field.
The final, required component - if the goal is super machines - is AI, which has now come of age.

Google had a stick figure running down a corridor a year or so ago. Seemed simple. Maybe not worth noticing. But it was huge. It was, literally, the final advancement of AI taking its first steps.

We are not far from the day when an AI bot will walk up to you, tell you to stand still, scan your face, check you for violations, and then either choose to let you go or choose to detain you.

What's terrifying is that the human condition is stagnant, and changes over millennia. The AI Bot condition? It improves every day, forever.

The final wars will be fought with technology, not flesh. You'll be vanquised when their technology beats yours. There won't be any hiding under the ground, fighting it out. Dominant tech will just keep getting more dominant.

The only wild card I see is energy - without cheap energy, AI becomes less advantageous. Perhaps that's our only way of remaining dominant - go primative.

I, too, have watched the Terminator movies. I, Robot as well.

Reaction Score
Might not be a hardo move but I will NEVER return my meal at a restaurant. Undercooked, overcooked, not what I ordered, hair in food, etc. I can't be that guy, I won't.

I hate going out to eat with my wife's family. Her mother and sister are constantly sending food back. Like sometimes 2-3 times during a meal. I've literally faked a work emergency call one time found the waitress on my way out and gave her a $50 apologized and said imagine how difficult my life is

Meanwhile I never send anything back

Reaction Score

What has started and will rapidly advance in the very near future is transhumanism, a seamless mix of human and machine. Elon Musk talks about it often, how his dream is for every human to put a little chip in their brain. Human evolution will continue until we are "perfectly" mixed with machine. Technology and reality is and will continue to be harder and harder to distinguish between.

Reaction Score
I only drink Martinis in odd numbers. If I want more than 1, I have to have 3. On the rare occassikn that I want more than 3 ... it’s going to be a long night.

Reaction Score

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
They have self check out at Costco now. I threw my back out trying to get my new sofa up on the scanner.

Look around the self checkout area. Lots of times they have hand held scanners and you can just scan the larger items without having to lift and scan.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
Can’t stand when stores like Best Buy, Bed, Bath, & Beyond, and Walmart have “Security” checking everyone’s receipt on the way out of the store. Unless specifically suspected of shoplifting, they have absolutely no authority to stop me, or recourse when, with my head held high, I give them a “No thanks” and keep walking when they ask to see my receipt.

Also: post/avatar

Also: Principle*

I was at Target about two weeks ago doing back to school shopping with the family. The store was crowded. As I was at the register I noticed about 8 police officers waiting at the front of the store. 4 of them were state troopers. The cashier explained to me that since the whole CT. State plastic bag ban, shoplifting has skyrocketed. She said that people just come in the store, fill up their reusable bags, act like they purchased the goods, and then walk out. The cashier said that target lost thousands of dollars at the beginning of the bag ban.

Shoplifters are crafty. Expect to have
Your receipts checked everywhere. Christmas shopping will be a nightmare.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I hate going out to eat with my wife's family. Her mother and sister are constantly sending food back. Like sometimes 2-3 times during a meal. I've literally faked a work emergency call one time found the waitress on my way out and gave her a $50 apologized and said imagine how difficult my life is

Meanwhile I never send anything back

That is my worst nightmare.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score

nah, not really. overall, we've been pretty good managing the machines. afterall, we're the ones that revealed the mathematics. sometimes they run a bit out in front, and some of us (oooh, 'us versus them,' spooky.) get burned pretty bad being too quick on the 'hopeful/trusting' uptake, but it then levels off. human ingenuity and all that. for example, take artificial intelligence, real artificial intelligence, facial recognition--machine sight, machine thought. separate from the basic logic that digital tech needs energy to even 'live' (some think the wheel, plough, and writing people of Sumer also invented the first battery), facerec fails miserably when sunglasses are used. cheap sunglasses. im glad someone made that better known in hong kong recently, as those good people have been totally screwing up china's tech assault (social media footprints and such).
will more and more 'intelligent' machines be deployed? of course. no doubt robomate or robopet will expand, but will they rule the day? not in the free societies (further encouraging the repressed ones to throw off their chains with 'facebook' type revolutions).
be a nice machine and maybe we won't hold a software hackfest at ur cpu, go all electromagnetic on ur hardware, or pour sand in ur gastank.
Now go out and get yourself some big black frames
With the glass so dark they won't even know your name
And the choice is up to you cause they come in two classes
Rhinestone shades or cheap sunglasses.

zz top rules, and rules.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
nah, not really. overall, we've been pretty good managing the machines. afterall, we're the ones that revealed the mathematics. sometimes they run a bit out in front, and some of us (oooh, 'us versus them,' spooky.) get burned pretty bad being too quick on the 'hopeful/trusting' uptake, but it then levels off. human ingenuity and all that. for example, take artificial intelligence, real artificial intelligence, facial recognition--machine sight, machine thought. separate from the basic logic that digital tech needs energy to even 'live' (some think the wheel, plough, and writing people of Sumer also invented the first battery), facerec fails miserably when sunglasses are used. cheap sunglasses. im glad someone made that better known in hong kong recently, as those good people have been totally screwing up china's tech assault (social media footprints and such).
will more and more 'intelligent' machines be deployed? of course. no doubt robomate or robopet will expand, but will they rule the day? not in the free societies (further encouraging the repressed ones to throw off their chains with 'facebook' type revolutions).
be a nice machine and maybe we won't hold a software hackfest at ur cpu, go all electromagnetic on ur hardware, or pour sand in ur gastank.
Now go out and get yourself some big black frames
With the glass so dark they won't even know your name
And the choice is up to you cause they come in two classes
Rhinestone shades or cheap sunglasses.

zz top rules, and rules.
I think this guy's a bot.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads