Westbrook to Uconn [merged thread] | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Westbrook to Uconn [merged thread]

Reaction Score
So sad that a lot of commenters are now worried about having to many gaurds when it comes to the 2020 season, but we currently have one of our players going through this

Attachments

• FEB757BA-462B-4EAB-83E8-2A18EB091C3E.jpeg
    FEB757BA-462B-4EAB-83E8-2A18EB091C3E.jpeg
    649.4 KB · Views: 453
Reaction Score
Her brother played for Peru St. (NAIA) and her father falsely (as far as anyone knows) claims he played for Oregon State (a little weird, ain’t it?). She comes from a big basketball family and a very supportive family.

Reaction Score
Her brother played for Peru St. (NAIA) and her father falsely (as far as anyone knows) claims he played for Oregon State (a little weird, ain’t it?). She comes from a big basketball family and a very supportive family.
well believe it or not he actually did played for Oregon State and I don’t see why that would be weird.

Reaction Score
What great news to wake up to. A couple thoughts on the newest Husky:
  • I had already gone out on the limb by predicting UConn would make it back to their 13th straight FF, before Ania, Evelyn & Evina announced they were coming to Storrs. Assuming Evina gets a waiver to play next season, UConn has a great chance to bring home banner # 12. Oregon still looks like the top team, but I have UConn now even with Baylor. The Lady Bears have an edge at Center, although it won't be as big in March when Liv has really upped her game, but UConn will have a distinct edge in the next 6 spots on the roster.
  • Evina is almost desperate to be coached up. There are videos of her working hard in the offseason with a personal coach/trainer. She also worked with TN MBB coach Rick Barnes all last summer on her shooting mechanics. Now she is going to the most demanding program in WBB to learn from the most successful coaching staff in the history of WBB. UConn is getting one extremely competitive young lady.
  • Credit to Megan Walker, not only for helping out her friend, but for putting the team first by recruiting a player who could be her equal talent wise.
  • Others have mentioned this, but how about another LV following Westbrook to Storrs. While I still think Sidney Cooks is the best BIG in the transfer portal, Mimi Collins has some distinct advantages. She is healthy, is a really good outside shooter who can also play in the post, is only a freshman with 3 years of eligibility remaining and has a very good opportunity to receive a waiver.
  • I do have one concern. With Both Evelyn and Evina on the roster, there's bound to be confusion when Geno calls out a play for Evie? :rolleyes:
Dude, to expand on your point of Walker's unselfishness, signing Westbrook may force Walker to continue playing more at the power forward position. Against most teams that UConn plays not an issue but versus the teams with multiple bigs, not ideal. Still thrilled to have her.

Reaction Score
well believe it or not he actually did played for Oregon State and I don’t see why that would be weird.
Fans on their board have done extensive checks in media guides and all time rosters...he is nowhere to be found.

Goes back to ~1902 and he is nowhere to be found. How is that not weird?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The "bus" was ineptitude. The "bus" was constant blaming the kids for the failures of the coaching staff.

Evina's comment was circumspect. It was honest. It showed that she has personal integrity. She stuck her neck out for her teammates and the Tenn. program. Their AD, Mr. Fulmer, showed his full agreement by his actions.
I admire her character.

When you put a microphone in front of a player that just lost a hard fought “gut wrenching “ game, their emotions are still running high. Sometimes you get honest heart felt answers to “tough” questions that under most conditions would go through a political correctness filter first. This was a case in point.

She didn’t volunteer what she said. She answered a question put to her by a reporter, and was severely criticized by their fans for doing so, even though as a poster here has said that a large percentage of Vol Nation felt the same. Obviously her frustration level was off the charts at that time. A perfect storm if you will. It’s been documented (and it’s no secret) that a number of Tennessee LV fans wanted Holly gone years ago.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Wow. After all of the wretched and humiliating performances put in by her beloved team in the past few years, this is BY FAR the most undone I've ever seen Margo.

She hates us, she really hates us :p

“I don’t hate her or her family, BUT....”. LOL

Reaction Score
There is no logjam.....All the players you name can play multiple positions. Plus, you can never have too much quality depth.
Depends on players' attitudes and acceptance of team. In two years, Geno will have CW, MW, AM, NM, PB and EW. That's six players, not counting ONO or another big. Yeah, they are versatile players, but obviously they all can't be on the floor at the same time. I trust Geno to work things out, but in Storrs, as elsewhere, players do become disillusioned. I agree with the need for depth, so god forbid, if things don't work out, someone is injured, etc., the team isn't too damaged. But it's a legitimate topic of discussion.

Reaction Score
Evina is now an "arch enemy". :D:D:D:D

Don’t care what Margo has to say! Never watched her ever, did she stick up for Evina when the fans were tearing her apart? If not she should not have anything to say.

Reaction Score
I would be surprised if she is granted a waiver but I hope to be proven wrong. Unlike an ND transfer, she didn’t play for her new coach for a year, then decide to transfer. The same player got to immediately play.
[/Q

after she voiced her concerns at the end of the season she took a lot of heat from fans and some of the press.................I wonder whether that is taken into account by the NCAA as she could be a source of some derision had she stayed at Tennessee next year even with a new coach...............

Reaction Score
When you put a microphone in front of a player that just lost a hard fought “gut wrenching “ game, their emotions are still running high. Sometimes you get honest heart felt answers to “tough” questions that under most conditions would go through a political correctness filter first. This was a case in point.

She didn’t volunteer what she said. She answered a question put to her by a reporter, and was severely criticized by their fans for doing so, even though as a poster here has said that a large percentage of Vol Nation felt the same. Obviously her frustration level was off the charts at that time. A perfect storm if you will. It’s been documented (and it’s no secret) that a number of Tennessee LV fans wanted Holly gone years ago.

Completely agree.
This one is on the reporter not the student athlete immediately after an excruciating loss for several reasons

Carnac

Reaction Score
Probably like being given a second chance at life

No doubt she realizes that and will take full advantage of that opportunity. She’s got two years left to do what most players get four years to accomplish. After 2 seasons, she’s nowhere near where we wants or needs to be.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
after she voiced her concerns at the end of the season she took a lot of heat from fans and some of the press.......I wonder whether that is taken into account by the NCAA as she could be a source of some derision had she stayed at Tennessee next year even with a new coach.....

Great point Charlie!!

Carnac

Reaction Score
At the worst, Geno gets one year of playing time from Evina. After what he experienced with Azura, Geno will be prepared for whatever Evina decides.

If Evina gets immediate eligibility, she allows Geno to not rush Anna or Aubrey into extensive early playing time. I personally think both are ready but as we all know, Geno has a thing about playing freshmen. Squeaks played a bunch out of necessity. Even she struggled at times.

Again at the worst, Evina is a transitional player that can be used until Paige and Nika arrive on campus.

I just don't see any negatives. Selfish play, disruptive behavior, won't be tolerated. If she accepts the coaching as most assume, it is a huge win for all involved.

Agree 100% :)

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
As to Evina throwing her coaches under the bus and her Mom being a "helicopter mom", I'm going to reserved judgement. We do not have the complete context of Evina's quote nor do we have the complete picture of what transpired with fans, Evina and her mother. I know were I stand as to her quote, but that's just my opinion.

Let's be real, Geno and Evina have had discussions before yesterday's news. I would bet Geno and Evina's mother have spoken more than once or twice. Geno is well aware of what Evina brings to the table.

And as Kim Mulky said, transfer are the new normal.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom