Westbrook to Uconn [merged thread] | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Westbrook to Uconn [merged thread]

Reaction Score
Some fans are just too involved. I visit players instagram and twitter accounts to kind of see what they’re talking about and where they may transfer(or who they’re recruiting to come.) but I do not follow them or comment on their posts. I think that’s too much!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
When I would watch Tennessee this past season when they were struggling, I would think that if any of the players transferred, I hoped it would be Collins and that UConn would be interested in her. She can shoot pretty accurately and the way she moved I was surprised she was as tall as 6'3". With good coaching, she could be a big asset to some team, imo. However, anyone coming from Tennessee will need a lot of work and discipline. A lot of unlearning.

Reaction Score
This is great news. Welcome to UConn Ms. Westbrook! Hope the waiver is granted, but if not, she will be ultra-ready the following year.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
What great news to wake up to. A couple thoughts on the newest Husky:
  • I had already gone out on the limb by predicting UConn would make it back to their 13th straight FF, before Ania, Evelyn & Evina announced they were coming to Storrs. Assuming Evina gets a waiver to play next season, UConn has a great chance to bring home banner # 12. Oregon still looks like the top team, but I have UConn now even with Baylor. The Lady Bears have an edge at Center, although it won't be as big in March when Liv has really upped her game, but UConn will have a distinct edge in the next 6 spots on the roster.
  • Evina is almost desperate to be coached up. There are videos of her working hard in the offseason with a personal coach/trainer. She also worked with TN MBB coach Rick Barnes all last summer on her shooting mechanics. Now she is going to the most demanding program in WBB to learn from the most successful coaching staff in the history of WBB. UConn is getting one extremely competitive young lady.
  • Credit to Megan Walker, not only for helping out her friend, but for putting the team first by recruiting a player who could be her equal talent wise.
  • Others have mentioned this, but how about another LV following Westbrook to Storrs. While I still think Sidney Cooks is the best BIG in the transfer portal, Mimi Collins has some distinct advantages. She is healthy, is a really good outside shooter who can also play in the post, is only a freshman with 3 years of eligibility remaining and has a very good opportunity to receive a waiver.
  • I do have one concern. With Both Evelyn and Evina on the roster, there's bound to be confusion when Geno calls out a play for Evie? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm sure it is a big relief to her and her family. Question though:

The Sorry not Sorry - part of her signature or what? Generation gap question.

I think the sorry not sorry is towards Tennessee

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
It’s in another country

Fun read.

Taurasi is best known for its increasingly famous red wine also named Taurasi, made of Aglianico grapes along with Piedirosso and Barbera grapes.

Did Geno bring a bottle of Taurasi Wine during recruiting of DT?

Reaction Score
I wonder if Westbrook will wear #2 or go back to her high school/AAU days and wear #22. She’s a very talented player and could be that team leader who can make plays off the dribble consistently, something that UConn hasn’t had in a while.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Shocked, just shocked.
The way she threw the TN coaches under the bus, regardless of the circumstances/pressure from the "reporters", I thought would be somebody that Geno would not want anywhere near his team.
Has anyone started a "Waiver: Yes or No" poll yet???
HW constantly threw her players under the bus after every single LV loss. After a disappointing 1st round loss, following a disappointing season, a reporter shoved a mic in front of Evina and asked a tough question to which Evina responded honestly about the need for “coaching changes”, something that every single person connected to TN WBB had been thinking about and advocating for 3+ years. In my opinion, Evina demonstrated both courage and leadership.

As for the poll, I vote yes.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
Shocked, just shocked.
The way she threw the TN coaches under the bus, regardless of the circumstances/pressure from the "reporters", I thought would be somebody that Geno would not want anywhere near his team.
Has anyone started a "Waiver: Yes or No" poll yet???

The "bus" was ineptitude. The "bus" was constant blaming the kids for the failures of the coaching staff.

Evina's comment was circumspect. It was honest. It showed that she has personal integrity. She stuck her neck out for her teammates and the Tenn. program. Their AD, Mr. Fulmer, showed his full agreement by his actions.
I admire her character.

Reaction Score
I would be interested to see how the flow of the team is next year if she is granted a waiver. What is the time frame on the waiver (not expecting tomorrow so keep the sarcastic comments).

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
At the worst, Geno gets one year of playing time from Evina. After what he experienced with Azura, Geno will be prepared for whatever Evina decides.

If Evina gets immediate eligibility, she allows Geno to not rush Anna or Aubrey into extensive early playing time. I personally think both are ready but as we all know, Geno has a thing about playing freshmen. Squeaks played a bunch out of necessity. Even she struggled at times.

Again at the worst, Evina is a transitional player that can be used until Paige and Nika arrive on campus.

I just don't see any negatives. If she accepts the coaching as most assume, it is a huge win for all involved.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Yeah, tough and emotional. Like Kia. She plays with fire and a little grit, like Kia. At times though she looks a little awkward. Not mechanical, just a bit ungainly. She has her rough edges, that's for sure.
She’s raw and unorthodox, but big, strong, and gritty.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom