Westbrook to Uconn [merged thread] | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Westbrook to Uconn [merged thread]

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Walker was the only transfer I can remember that decided to transfer while getting decent playing time. AEH was basically asked to leave the team by Geno(according to the since deleted video of Geno talking to boosters) after she continually failed to meet his expectations.
Failed to follow team rules.

Reaction Score
I have to say that focusing on the lack of playing time leading to transfer out of UConn is just the visible symptom not the underlying condition that is the true cause of the transfer. When it comes to UConn there is always something not happening that is leading to the lack of minutes and it usually can be traced to practice. A player either follows instruction and performs or they don't and those that don't transfer. I'm a firm believer that it is usually what's not happening between the ears than anything physical.
AEH clearly wanted to do her own thing rather than work within the team which in a motion offense will lead to bad turnovers, breakdowns on defense, and forced shots that miss and she did all of them. It appears she was too stubborn to get with the program so she had to leave. She still has all those liabilities but Vic's offense is more forgiving that way. It will be really interesting to see what happens when there is no big T to clean things up.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Ania’s offense is impressive, but all indications are that Evina’s defense is much better at this point. I think Evina gets the nod as the starter, but I am really thrilled that UConn looks like they will have a legitimate 7 player rotation, and maybe 8 if Aubrey can figure things out sooner rather than later.
If Makurat's defense is not as good as Westbrook's, then she won't play much at all. Westbrook's defense is almost non existent. That is one of her biggest weaknesses.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If Makurat's defense is not as good as Westbrook's, then she won't play much at all. Westbrook's defense is almost non existent. That is one of her biggest weaknesses.
That’s a bit harsh. TN was not a particularly good defensive team, much of which I attribute to HW. For the record, Evina lead the LV’s in steals and, for the most part, played reasonably good defense in the handful of games I watched.

As for Ania, I am only relating comments made by a number of U.S. pros who play in Europe, who have indicated that her defense needs some work.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
That’s a bit harsh. TN was not a particularly good defensive team, much of which I attribute to HW. For the record, Evina lead the LV’s in steals and, for the most part, played reasonably good defense in the handful of games I watched.

As for Ania, I am only relating comments made by a number of U.S. pros who play in Europe, who have indicated that her defense needs some work.

I’m going to second this.

Evina was highly praised for and took great pride in her defensive abilities coming out of high school, but defense didn’t seem to be a point of emphasis (I’m not sure what their emphasis was, but whatever) at Tennessee. I think we’ll definitely see that aspect of her game blossom under Geno & Co.’s tutelage.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
I'll believe it when i see it. Steals are one thing, keeping your player in front of you or stopping them from getting to where they want to go is another.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Someone should ask the Captain of the Tin Foil Hat Brigade if there’s an NCAA rule familiarly called the Geno Auriemma Rule because of questionable recruiting practices. No? Which 1000+ win coach could that be?

Cornelius is a former hack sportswriter for the local newspaper in Knoxville. It's pretty obvious her intent is to trot out this false accusation against Geno when he surpasses Pat's 1,098 win total. She has probably already written her piece and has it safely tucked away waiting to publish it as soon as Geno has one more win than Pat. She needs to get a life.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'll believe it when i see it. Steals are one thing, keeping your player in front of you or stopping them from getting to where they want to go is another.
I’ve said this many times before. If you watch any basketball game closely, everyone gets beaten off the dribble from time to time. I specifically remember a UConn game vs USF during Mo’s senior season, when she was named NDPOY, when Courtney Williams was abusing her on the defensive end, so much so that Geno pulled Mo off Williams and put Gabby on her.

From the games I’ve watched, Evina has the length, athleticism and footwork to be a solid defender.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
I’ve said this many times before. If you watch any basketball game closely, everyone gets beaten off the dribble from time to time. I specifically remember a UConn game vs USF during Mo’s senior season, when she was named NDPOY, when Courtney Williams was abusing her on the defensive end, so much so that Geno pulled Mo off Williams and put Gabby on her.

From the games I’ve watched, Evina has the length, athleticism and footwork to be a solid defender.
I agree. She will improve, I believe, greatly while at UConn. However, she is not there yet. Anyone can play one bad defensive game as Jefferson did. I watched many UT games and saw Westbrook and Davis play at defense. With Westbrook's desire to improve and her work ethic, I see her becoming the kind of defensive player who meets UConn standards. I believe before she leaves she will be a star, maybe even an AA kind of star.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Great offensive players beat by great defensive players one on one all the time - what Geno teaches and what Uconn runs defensively is how to get 'beat' in the right way - forcing your opponent in the direction of your help defense and on angles away from the basket.

Reaction Score

Everyone got abused by Courtney Williams. Tough, tough kid.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
I think someone once said "great offense beats great defense" may have been someone up in Storrs

Reaction Score
I’m going to second this.

Evina was highly praised for and took great pride in her defensive abilities coming out of high school, but defense didn’t seem to be a point of emphasis (I’m not sure what their emphasis was, but whatever) at Tennessee. I think we’ll definitely see that aspect of her game blossom under Geno & Co.’s tutelage.
I have decided to give EW a clean slate. I feel like between the bad coaching, appearance of team chemistry issues because of bad coaching, EW playing PG when she really is a SG, and overall lack of help from her teammates I just don't think we've seen her at her best which will happen at UConn.

Reaction Score
Cornelius is a former hack sportswriter for the local newspaper in Knoxville. It's pretty obvious her intent is to trot out this false accusation against Geno when he surpasses Pat's 1,098 win total. She has probably already written her piece and has it safely tucked away waiting to publish it as soon as Geno has one more win than Pat. She needs to get a life.

She is also the long-time mod for what is the "back ward" of fan boards.

Reaction Score
I have a more nuanced question regarding waivers. Assuming that a transfer’s prior school can block a waiver, can they just say “no” or do they have to give a detailed response in support of their denial?

Say for instance that a player felt intimidated or threatened by fans. Not entirely out of the question for some of the more zealous LV fans as we’ve seen from Margo’s rant. Does TN have to counter a transfer’s waiver request with documentation?

Maybe Geno should attach Margo's video to his request form...along with a 32 page document of posts taken from VN and the Summitt. :D

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
Great offensive players beat by great defensive players one on one all the time - what Geno teaches and what Uconn runs defensively is how to get 'beat' in the right way - forcing your opponent in the direction of your help defense and on angles away from the basket.

Being able to learn and apply those principles is why UConn-level defensive skills are, despite what some people here say, more than just a matter of will power and effort. There are seeing, thinking, and reacting skills also to learn.

Reaction Score
yes!!! it may be man to man defense but it really "team" defense. the coaches recognize that players get beat on occasion. the knack is the help that comes, and the help that covers the help going to the ball.

More times than not it is the player that doesn't get that defensive scheme that doesn't get on the court. Courtney was frequently lost in the offensive and defensive schemes. But CD kept teaching, Courtney spent most games sitting next to CD getting tutored.

Of course, ball denial (face guarding) is putting your best player out on a limb.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I believe that EW chose Uconn instead of the many other programs she had to choose from should at least tell you something. She is not just looking for playing time but really wants to get better. She still has quite a bit of upside left to reach her college ceiling. It's not like Geno is particularly looking to add guards. What he really needs is post players, so the fact that he added a guard should tell us that he also feels that EW will be an asset. I think if he believed the negatives that are being thrown around about her that she would not be coming to Uconn. It's not like he is desperate for guards and has to take a gamble.

Reaction Score
I’m not really sure what EV’s “true” position is. As a PG she seemed to me to be a little out of control. But maybe that’s in part due to Tennessee’s “offense”. If she’s a SG, she’s not a particularly good one. If I recall, her outside shoot wasn’t that good. I’m reminded of the story of Geno asking Gabby what position she played in HS. I think she said she was a PG. His response - no your not. Clearly EV has tons of talent. It’ll be really interesting to see how Geno molds it, develops it and uses it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom