Welcome John Dunn: New OC | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Welcome John Dunn: New OC

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If you think that was Randy's criteria there may be no help for you..

I don’t know if it’s wholly incorrect.

Edsall knows to get where he needs to go he needs good people AND he needs stability.

Hiring Josh McDaniel for 2018 as OC is a worthless hire for UConn. He gets them 3 wins in 2018 and they go shopping again.

I would do exactly what he’s done in this spot.

Give someone a stretch job and hope you get paid off twice. (Performance and stability). If the guy can do the job he can do it now.

I’d wager* all the money in @shizzle787 ’s mattress he said ‘This is a stretch’ to both #dunnlosin’ and Dave B.

*wagers will not be honored

Reaction Score
Edsall has a track record.

Norries Wilson Rob Ambrose Joe Moorhead Rhett Lashlee. All really good - frankly

Not a TJ Weist or Verducci in the mix (I kid)

I think this guy HCRE knows what he’s doing. Plus add in a Todd Orlando ... and admit. He’s got a solid evaluation skill set on Coordinating coaches.

Some things I read that also stood out to me:

JOHN FOX

“John is as good an offensive mind as I’ve been around,” said Fox. “He has a great feel for the run game as well as pass game. He has the ability to relate to and motivate players and is an outstanding coach with a bright future!”

NO HUDDLE -PLAYS FAST

“His philosophy of being a multiple, no huddle offense that ATTACKS using multiple tempos, personnel groupings and formations defines our vision offensively. His NFL experience will allow us to grow our passing game and also aid in the recruitment of prospective student-athletes.

RED ZONE SCORING

He also assisted in all red zone game-planning and helped lead a Maryland offense that finished ninth nationally in red zone scoring percentage.

RECRUITING

John is a proven recruiter and evaluator and has recruited in the areas where we will be recruiting heavily.

COMPUTER LITERACY - GAME PLANNING

At LSU, Dunn helped coach the offensive line and quarterbacks and ran meetings with those position groups. Dunn also had primary responsibility for the assimilation of the playbook and all computer drawings, as well as all practice scripts and game plans.

Reaction Score
Terrible hire and setback for the program. Clearly, RE was looking for a loyal yes man and not an independent offensive thinker. I can't believe AD Dave allowed RE to go down this path. So disappointed.

It’s one thing to be disappointed in his lack of OC experience. But how you get to this point, which is based off nothing but fallacies in your head, is perplexing to say the least.

Reaction Score
Terrible hire and setback for the program. Clearly, RE was looking for a loyal yes man and not an independent offensive thinker. I can't believe AD Dave allowed RE to go down this path. So disappointed.

I really dont understand. You know, a general rule is that as you get older and start developing a bit of a belly, you are not as attractive to good looking young women, but can still connect with a 30 year old 10 if you make enough money. Well, right now we are the 50 year old balding guy with a bit of a belly, and we have no money. Expectations have to be realistic. If Dunn can get us in shape and help us make a little more money, we can realistically go after coaches/players with more talent/proven records. Nothing in his background indicates he cant do this.

Reaction Score
Arizona Cardinals Defensive Coordinator, James Bettcher
“John is a highly intelligent, innovative, energetic, motivator! All of us coaches look around our profession and judge the character of the man, the measure of the coach on whether we would want our son to play for him. There is no doubt someday my son will play for Coach Dunn!!!”
Not sure you can get a much better endorsement then that! Let's hope his son is a 5-star and Coach Dunn is still here when he is ready to play.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

JOHN FOX

“John is as good an offensive mind as I’ve been around,” said Fox. “He has a great feel for the run game as well as pass game. He has the ability to relate to and motivate players and is an outstanding coach with a bright future!” defines our vision offensively. .

Let’s teach Ol @Confident Carl the smell test...

Remember when John Fox was winning 40 games in 3 years in Denver?

His offensive coordinator was a 35 or so year old Adam Gase.

So John Fox was winning Super Bowls with a child OC - but UConn for $300k hired ‘as good as an offensive mind as he’s been around’.

Yeah it’s almost like those quotes don’t mean much dot dot dot

Reaction Score
Guardedly optimistic about this hire. He's young, bright, hungry, a good recruiter and scores high in RE's book. In RE I trust.

Reaction Score

JOHN FOX

“John is as good an offensive mind as I’ve been around,” said Fox. “He has a great feel for the run game as well as pass game. He has the ability to relate to and motivate players and is an outstanding coach with a bright future!”

NO HUDDLE -PLAYS FAST

“His philosophy of being a multiple, no huddle offense that ATTACKS using multiple tempos, personnel groupings and formations defines our vision offensively. His NFL experience will allow us to grow our passing game and also aid in the recruitment of prospective student-athletes.

RED ZONE SCORING

He also assisted in all red zone game-planning and helped lead a Maryland offense that finished ninth nationally in red zone scoring percentage.

RECRUITING

John is a proven recruiter and evaluator and has recruited in the areas where we will be recruiting heavily.

COMPUTER LITERACY - GAME PLANNING

At LSU, Dunn helped coach the offensive line and quarterbacks and ran meetings with those position groups. Dunn also had primary responsibility for the assimilation of the playbook and all computer drawings, as well as all practice scripts and game plans.
He was an excellent recruiter at Maryland, that's good enough for me. We need smart FBS level players with strength, speed and size who can execute, a lot more than we need a trick play artist.

Reaction Score
“His philosophy of being a multiple, no huddle offense that ATTACKS using multiple tempos, personnel groupings and formations defines our vision offensively,” Edsall said.

The part about this that is key is the multiple tempos, like when you are ahead in a game and your defense is a sieve there's no need to run a play every 10 seconds, in fact that philosophy may have cost us a game or two last year, you need to be able to adjust/coach to the situation. I'm not so sure that didn't cause some friction between Randy and Rhett last year, and if it did I'm 100% with Randy on this.

Also for everyone complaining, remember Edsall has quite a track record of hiring successful assistants - I wouldn't start doubting him now based on it's not "sexy" enough.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don’t know if it’s wholly incorrect.

Edsall knows to get where he needs to go he needs good people AND he needs stability.

Hiring Josh McDaniel for 2018 as OC is a worthless hire for UConn. He gets them 3 wins in 2018 and they go shopping again.

I would do exactly what he’s done in this spot.

Give someone a stretch job and hope you get paid off twice. (Performance and stability). If the guy can do the job he can do it now.

I’d wager* all the money in @shizzle787 ’s mattress he said ‘This is a stretch’ to both #dunnlosin’ and Dave B.

*wagers will not be honored
Agree with you but original premise was that Randy was looking for someone to control...don't agree with that at all

Reaction Score
I really dont understand. You know, a general rule is that as you get older and start developing a bit of a belly, you are not as attractive to good looking young women, but can still connect with a 30 year old 10 if you make enough money. Well, right now we are the 50 year old balding guy with a bit of a belly, and we have no money. Expectations have to be realistic. If Dunn can get us in shape and help us make a little more money, we can realistically go after coaches/players with more talent/proven records. Nothing in his background indicates he cant do this.
Hell, go for the divorced 45 year old "10", and she'll pay for dinner AND bring you back to her place.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He has plenty of recruiting experience it’s the lack of play calling and OC experience that’s a downer for me. All we can do is hope he works out but this will only excite the Confident Carl’s of the world who would crap rainbows if we hired Kim Jung Un as OC.

Oh..But what offense he could bring us.

Reaction Score
Let’s teach Ol @Confident Carl the smell test...

Remember when John Fox was winning 40 games in 3 years in Denver?

His offensive coordinator was a 35 or so year old Adam Gase.

So John Fox was winning Super Bowls with a child OC - but UConn for $300k hired ‘as good as an offensive mind as he’s been around’.

Yeah it’s almost like those quotes don’t mean much dot dot dot

Yeah you're right, a glowing third party endorsement from a man who coached in two Super Bowls and served 18 years as an NFL head coach is meaningless. Thanks for schooling me!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yeah you're right, a glowing third party endorsement from a man who coached in two Super Bowls and served 18 years as an NFL head coach is meaningless. Thanks for schooling me!

True thinking you could learn something was clearly incorrect.

When given the chance to comment on someone and clearly lie... it almost makes one wonder if it’s even legitimate praise. Well those with a clue.

Back to providing your posts with the derision they deserve.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For better or for worse, at the end of next season I think we will all be saying John, dunn it! I'm very hopeful it will be for the better.

Reaction Score
Bears' bio (Offensive Assistant, 2016-18): Chicago Bears: John Dunn
Picture ThisIsUConnCountry borrowed

Maryland bio (Assistant Coach, TE/Recruiting, 2011-15): John Dunn Biography

RSHIROPAXEMBRBK.20150804143619.jpg

"John Dunn is in his fifth season with Maryland serving as the tight ends coach and recruiting coordinator.

Under Dunn’s leadership, Maryland has signed a top-35 recruiting class in two of the past four years. In 2014, Maryland landed a five-star recruit for the third consecutive season with local offensive lineman Damian Prince.

In 2012 and 2013, both of Dunn’s classes featured the Gatorade Player of the Year in Washington, D.C., (Yannick Ngakoue in 2013 and Albert Reid in 2012) and a five-star recruit (Deon Long in 2013 and Stefon Diggs in 2012).

Dunn and head coach Randy Edsall have made it a priority to recruit the Maryland/Washington, D.C. area. Of the 81 players signed since 2012, 42 have been from the region. In 2015, Dunn helped Maryland land the top-ranked defensive lineman in Maryland, Adam MCLean, and the top-ranked offensive lineman in Washington, D.C., Quarvez Boulware.

Dunn coached the youngest position group on the team in 2014, which featured three sophomores, two redshirt freshmen and a true freshman. Sophomore Andrew Isaacs began the season atop the depth chart before suffering a season-ending injury at Syracuse.

P.J. Gallo and Derrick Hayward, a converted linebacker, split time the remainder of the season. Gallo caught his first-career touchdown pass in Maryland’s win at Penn State, while Hayward made his first-career catch at Wisconsin.

In 2013, Dunn worked with Dave Stinebaugh, who hauled in 15 receptions for 204 yards and three touchdowns, tied for the second-highest total on the team.

In his first two seasons at Maryland, Dunn tutored Matt Furstenburg, who compiled 46 catches for 554 yards (12.0 avg.) and four touchdowns. Furstenburg signed with the Baltimore Ravens during the 2013 offseason.

Before coming to Maryland, Dunn spent the previous three seasons as a graduate offensive assistant with LSU.

In 2010, the Tigers went 11-2 and defeated Texas A&M in the Cotton Bowl, their fifth victory over a ranked opponent that season. In his three years at LSU, the Tigers had a 28-11 record and went 2-1 in bowl games.

Dunn also assisted with all on-campus recruiting for the Tigers, as they pulled in the No. 11 class in 2008, the No. 1 class in 2009 and the No. 8 class in 2010, according to ESPN.com's rankings.

Dunn walked on at North Carolina in 2001 and played there until 2003 when his career was cut short by a neck injury. He served as a student assistant while finishing his undergraduate studies. In his second season on the Tar Heel staff, Dunn became a quality control assistant and then worked as a graduate coaching assistant on the offensive side of the ball his final two years (2006-07) in Chapel Hill.

At Carolina, Dunn helped tutor wide receiver Hakeem Nicks who finished the `07 season ranked in the top-35 nationally in receptions (6.2) and receiving yards per game (79.83) while earning All-ACC first team honors. Nicks was taken 29th overall by the New York Giants in the 2009 NFL Draft.

Dunn played quarterback and tight end for the Tar Heels, lettering in 2003. He is married to the former Lindsay Moffitt, and they have one son, Carter.

Date of Birth: Aug. 7, 1983
Hometown: Hendersonville, N.C.
Alma Mater: UNC '05 "

Reaction Score
True thinking you could learn something was clearly incorrect.

When given the chance to comment on someone and clearly lie... it almost makes one wonder if it’s even legitimate praise. Well those with a clue.

Back to providing your posts with the derision they deserve.

Speaking of my posts, here is an excerpt from one of yours:

"I think Diaco is here as long as he wants to be. He has amazing energy and he does a great job as the face of the program" - Whaler 11 - 8/30/2016

That was pretty funny coming from you because you are right all the time.

Reaction Score
Hmm . . . will reserve judgement after this coming season. If you trust HCRE then you ought to at least give this guy a fair shot. Edsall's worked with him before and knows he can recruit. No OC experience which is worrisome, but he apparently knows offense based on his resume. We'll see.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom