Welcome John Dunn: New OC | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Welcome John Dunn: New OC

Reaction Score
Very predictable. Edsall wants an offense that protects his defense. He thinks that defense and kicking win games. That was his formula previously UConn.

That said, if Dunn's recruiting prowess continues at UConn, we will all enjoy the fruits of his labor.

Reaction Score
As I recall, recruiting was not that great at Maryland, with the exception of the efforts put in by Mike Locksley.

Reaction Score
Also this about roles last year with the Bears:

"During his time with the Bears, Dunn was responsible for all offensive playbook and self-scout information while also assisting the wide receivers and quarterbacks. He was responsible for the protection plan and ran the offensive line protection meetings during the week in addition to assisting the offensive coordinator in all his duties with the team."

Reaction Score
Very predictable. Edsall wants an offense that protects his defense. He thinks that defense and kicking win games. That was his formula previously UConn.
Don't know how you got that.... from this.... “His philosophy of being a multiple, no huddle offense that ATTACKS using multiple tempos, personnel groupings and formations defines our vision offensively."

Reaction Score
Since the negatives have been addressed (and I agree with most of them) I'll try look at the bright side:

1) "He's very versed in offense," Edsall said of the 34-year-old first-time coordinator.

2) "He's been in tempo offenses. We're going to be a multiple, no-huddle offense that is going to use tempo, formations and other things to create advantages. The good thing is, he'll take the system that we had and enhance it."

3) Dunn’s contract is for two years and he will be paid $300,000 per year.

He's young, affordable, and hopefully will keep the momentum going on offense.

That's all I got.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Impossible to be excited about this hire in my opinion but you can certainly take a wait and see attitude. HCRE believes in him and he’ll have plenty of opportunity to prove himself both in play calling and on the recruiting trail.

Reaction Score
My one issue...he hasn’t been a QB coach. Right now there is no real QB coach on this staff and we just had the first legit one that had been here in a while just walk out the door. I’m interested to see how this is taken care of.
Dan O maybe??

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I said before, and I stand by it, Edsall's buy in to the scheme we ran last year is what matters. Certainly Dunn seems well qualified and his recruiting expertise and NFL background will be helpful. But all of you saying it is a return to ground and pound evidently couldn't be bothered to read the article.

"He's very versed in offense," Edsall said of the 34-year-old first-time coordinator. "He's been in tempo offenses. We're going to be a multiple, no-huddle offense that is going to use tempo, formations and other things to create advantages. The good thing is, he'll take the system that we had and enhance it."​

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
Looks like a guy who has put his time in, decent resume - if it's good by Randy might as well see what he can do. I'm much more concerned with the defense anyway

Reaction Score
Thought he was acting OC for half a season at UMD when Locksley was promoted to interim head?

Reaction Score
Honestly I would've liked to see somebody with more experience filling the role, but if the time spent together at Maryland was good enough for Edsall, it's good enough for me. All good coordinators have to start somewhere. All we can do is hope for the best.

Reaction Score
I said before, and I stand by it, Edsall's buy in to the scheme we ran last year is what matters. Certainly Dunn seems well qualified and his recruiting expertise and NFL background will be helpful. But all of you saying it is a return to ground and pound evidently couldn't be bothered to read the article.

"He's very versed in offense," Edsall said of the 34-year-old first-time coordinator. "He's been in tempo offenses. We're going to be a multiple, no-huddle offense that is going to use tempo, formations and other things to create advantages. The good thing is, he'll take the system that we had and enhance it."​

Agree. HCRE indicated on many occasions this past year that he knows what's most needed to compete and win in the AAC...prolific offense. I trust that getting the offense to that standard is a primary goal. He also knows that the D needs to get better so it doesn't hold back offense.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
The positives are (if he works out) the age and inexperience--he'd be here for more than a year, which is huge for us. The negatives are lack of play calling experience obviously and for me the idea of applying more a more pro style approach as opposed to spread. I'm not sure he will be more pro style (articles say we'll be 'multiple'), but who knows. I'm interested to know what areas he was responsible for in recruiting at MD...

Reaction Score
I honestly do not know what to think. What seems clear is that HCRE2.0 wants a known quantity totally loyal to him. One of his guys. Given that emphasis, it seems likely that this is a matter of the pendulum swinging in the opposite direction and that perhaps his relationship with Rhett wasn't as smooth as advertised. Having Lashlee go to a conference opponent on a lateral is also kind of a hint despite the fact that spousal wishes may have provided plausible hypothetical cover.

Reaction Score

Going to trust in Randy. He knows the staff, he knows the players. He knows Dunn. We have had too much disruption with Offensive Coordinators
and Randy knows we need to be deliberate and consistent. I like the resume of Toledo's Brian Wright more but if he's a hot shot like Lashllee and does well, he's gone at the first P5 offer.
Then we are back to square one. Randy knows he has a long term project here. He needs to assemble a staff that is going to be able to work together for several years to fix the program.
Team Chemistry is really important.

Rob Ambrose, Todd Orlando and Joe Moorhead were pretty good Coordinators under Randy Edsall and are now thriving in their respective careers.

Sounds like Dunn has a good football mind and can help with recruiting in the south. Edsall can't afford to make mistakes. I am going to trust this decision.

Reaction Score
Honestly I would've liked to see somebody with more experience filling the role, but if the time spent together at Maryland was good enough for Edsall, it's good enough for me. All good coordinators have to start somewhere. All we can do is hope for the best.
Absolutely

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The positives are (if he works out) the age and inexperience--he'd be here for more than a year, which is huge for us. The negatives are lack of play calling experience obviously and for me the idea of applying more a more pro style approach as opposed to spread. I'm not sure he will be more pro style (articles say we'll be 'multiple'), but who knows. I'm interested to know what areas he was responsible for in recruiting at MD...

Edsall did mention he wants to be able to pass out of formations other than shotgun, and thinks Dunn ca help with that. I've go no problem with us running a pro style offense if we have the people to do it. There's a reason NFL teams play the way they do. But what I think he's talking about is not being predictable. Passing out of any set or running out of any set. That's critical.

One of the interesting things I've seen with the Patriots this year is the change in RBs. They had four good ones. But two, White and Gillislee were used as single purpose backs (receiving and running respectively). Now Lewis and the later injured Burkhead get all the snaps, because we can do anything with them back there. My sense is that Randy wants to emulate that. Even last year we were too predictable. Unless you have Georgia's OL, you can't get away with that for long.

Reaction Score
Edsall did mention he wants to be able to pass out of formations other than shotgun, and thinks Dunn ca help with that. I've go no problem with us running a pro style offense if we have the people to do it. There's a reason NFL teams play the way they do. But what I think he's talking about is not being predictable. Passing out of any set or running out of any set.
Honestly though if Pindell is our guy, don’t we think he is most dangerous from the gun? Quick easy reads and throws, much easier to use his legs with the option, etc

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom