Welcome John Dunn: New OC | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Welcome John Dunn: New OC

Reaction Score
Arizona Cardinals Defensive Coordinator, James Bettcher
“John is a highly intelligent, innovative, energetic, motivator! All of us coaches look around our profession and judge the character of the man, the measure of the coach on whether we would want our son to play for him. There is no doubt someday my son will play for Coach Dunn!!!”

Please, God, tell us this coach has a son who just happens to be a 5 star DE and is coming here!

Reaction Score
Very predictable. Edsall wants an offense that protects his defense. He thinks that defense and kicking win games. That was his formula previously UConn.

That said, if Dunn's recruiting prowess continues at UConn, we will all enjoy the fruits of his labor.
I'm not surprised by this hire. HCRE has always said about what makes a great program...."recruiting, recruiting, recruiting". If this guy can recruit one or two three or four star recruits each year, then he's worth every penny. I said last week that Edsall would hire a recruiter first and an OC second. Given Randy Edsall's track record at hiring assistants at UCONN, I'm not as worried as some of the initial BY responses.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I don’t know how calling plays could be beyond someone.

It’s the easiest part of the job.

I don’t see how you can coach professionally and struggle with play calling.

Heh, you are talking to UConn football fans who have suffered for seven years under offensive ineptitude where play designs seemed woefully inadequate until Lashlee came along.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Heh, you are talking to UConn football fans who have suffered for seven years under offensive ineptitude where play designs seemed woefully inadequate until Lashlee came along.

All the inputs are hard (design you steal that seems obvious). Recruiting, coaching, a million other challenges.

Saturday afternoon knowing what plays to call is the easiest part of the job.

That’s why I always assume when people get upset about playcalling - it’s actually the offense just can’t execute anything. Other than the obvious mistakes.

Reaction Score
I don’t know how calling plays could be beyond someone.It’s the easiest part of the job.
Once the offensive scheme is determined by RE and Dunn (based in part by our talent--and our weaknesses) it actually becomes more art than science. There's a lot of "feel" involved in play calling. Lets hope he has the touch.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Once the offensive scheme is determined by RE and Dunn (based in part by our talent--and our weaknesses) it actually becomes more art than science. There's a lot of "feel" involved in play calling. Lets hope he has the touch.

It’s not nearly that complicated.

It’s the most overrated thing in the sport.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Notable hashtag = #AttackWithAPurpose

Rhett, attacking with no purpose? How about the endzone - go there and get seven points.

Reaction Score
As others had said, I think this hired boiled down to two fundamentals:
  • Randy wanted loyalty. No more 1 year wonders which is hurting all the players with new systems every year. This guy will need at least 2, but maybe as many as 4 years here. No way this guy given this opportunity and his history with Randy can walk after year 1 or even year 2.
  • Budget - its is very limited. Probably couldnt afford many others like Brian Wright. Sure, we are a pay raise for Wright, but he is pretty darn close to a much bigger pay raise. Regardless, he would be another one year guy if successful.
Silver lining; looks like a plus on recruiting.

Major concerns:
  • Never called plays &
  • Doesn't sound like a QB coach.
Prior to joining Maryland, Dunn spent three seasons at LSU as an offensive graduate assistant/intern. While with the Tigers, he helped coach the offensive line and quarterbacks and ran meetings with those position groups.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Give him a fair shot.

At least we know he’s not a retread failing his way down the ladder.
Of course the same could be said about Red Pants, right?

REv1 had a good history picking young coaching talent. Let's hope he strikes gold again.

Reaction Score
Hopefully, next year this time, we will be savoring a bowl game victory and a winning season.

Reaction Score
I'm not too sure about this, but may turn out o.k.

I'd be concerned if we hire an experienced coach who all he did was be an assistant to someone else.

Doesn't a successful manager of any enterprise hire assistant managers who they think can take over a company at a moments notice should an unexpected event happen to the manager? Would the Board of Directors expect some type of positive continuity to assure success? Wouldn't a manager want an assistant to offer viable recommendations before making a final decision?

Being an assistant at many different levels gives valuable learning experience if the listen to the right people.

I think this coach is ready to reach out on his own.....and be quite successful now that he has a chance.

We'' see!

Reaction Score
Terrible hire and setback for the program. Clearly, RE was looking for a loyal yes man and not an independent offensive thinker. I can't believe AD Dave allowed RE to go down this path. So disappointed.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
1. Someone please name a bad assistant coaching hire by RE here at UCONN?

2. Age is irrelevant - Dunn has been playing and been around football for at least 20 years - anyone who has had something part of their life isn't a neophyte at this.

In Randy I trust!

Reaction Score
At the end of the day Edsall better be right on Dunn’s ability to coach QB’s...it’s not like he is inheriting Danny O as a Jr or Sr.

Reaction Score
Honestly though if Pindell is our guy, don’t we think he is most dangerous from the gun? Quick easy reads and throws, much easier to use his legs with the option, etc
Pindell won’t be the guy.....

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The upside is that we now have an extra $700k for hookers and blow to close out the signing period.. so we go that going for us..which is nice

For them or us?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom