Week 2 preview (Nov. 15-22) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Week 2 preview (Nov. 15-22)

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I have to say I was a little sad that @Plebe did not include the Minnesota-American U game on this week's schedule. I mean, it's not like Minnesota is the next opponent for school name University of Connecticut and keeping an eye on such a score might be beneficial to any fans of that UConn team, if only we were on a UConn forum...Oh wait....
And this is exactly why this is a forum thread and not a monologue ... and also why I explicitly asked people to "chime in with additions or corrections". Thank you for volunteering to illustrate this point :)

The Minnesota-American game was shown on BTN+, and anyone with a BTN+ subscription can watch the replay on demand ;)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
So Vandy vs Tenn. Tech on SECN at 7PM. A channel I get. Anyone with enough expertise to give a preview. Can Shea pull it out?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Just landed on ACCN with Florida Atlantic vs Miami. Chelsey Gray on the broadcast team with Beth Mowins

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Just landed on ACCN with Florida Atlantic vs Miami. Chelsey Gray on the broadcast team with Beth Mowins
Check out former UW Husky (by way of JC and Russia) Rita Pleskevich for FAU.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Nobody tell him that Notre Dame is all alone at the top of the ACC with a 1-0 conference record. :eek:
I saw part of that game. Yeah, that was weird too.

Plebe

Reaction Score
So Vandy vs Tenn. Tech on SECN at 7PM. A channel I get. Anyone with enough expertise to give a preview. Can Shea pull it out?
Considering that Vandy lost decisively to both Little Rock and MTSU, this will be no cakewalk. Tennessee Tech is picked to finish 2nd in the Ohio Valley behind Belmont. They returned all 5 starters from last year (although one of them is out with a knee injury). They have very balanced scoring, with no real superstars, and decent size for a mid-major, with a 6'3" starting center and another starter who is 6'1".

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Had no idea that Lola Pendande ended up at Miami (from Utah). There were so many transfers, it was pretty much impossible to keep track of all of them.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Wake Forest wins over Charlotte. The Demon Deacons improve to 4-0.. for the first time ever under Coach Hoover

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Considering that Vandy lost decisively to both Little Rock and MTSU, this will be no cakewalk. Tennessee Tech is picked to finish 2nd in the Ohio Valley behind Belmont. They returned all 5 starters from last year (although one of them is out with a knee injury). They have very balanced scoring, with no real superstars, and decent size for a mid-major, with a 6'3" starting center and another starter who is 6'1".
Vandy wins 75-55. :) Constant pressure defense and some nice offense. Shot 50% from field. Nice post game interview by Shea emphasizing defense, energy and communication. Some nice looking freshman players.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Vandy wins 75-55. :) Constant pressure defense and some nice offense. Shot 50% from field. Nice post game interview by Shea emphasizing defense, energy and communication. Some nice looking freshman players.
This game was a huge improvement over the previous two. The offense was downright anemic in the loss to Little Rock. Was great to see them warm up the nets just a little bit. Vandy got almost half its points off turnovers.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Great... so they aren't the worst team in TN. Hopefully they can pull a rabbit out of their hats and defeat the mighty VOLs at least once... how sweet would that be.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
1) I wasn't aware there was a ASUN-MAAC Challenge... but its just 2 games with women's teams, and 2 games with the men.... doubleheader today and tomorrow.

2) intriguing matchup in a bit vs two of the better post players tonight.... Cunane of NC State vs Lee of Kansas State

3) A under the radar throw out the record book matchup at 5pm on ESPN plus. 0-4 Wofford vs 0-3 Southern Wesleyan.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
One of the most intriguing games to me is Marquette (3-0) vs. Colorado (2-0). Marquette is one of the favorites for 2nd place in the Big East, Colorado is a middle of the pack Pac 12 team looking to claw their way higher. Important outcome for both teams.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Something I'm becoming obsessed w/ this year is attendance, specifically the "official" number vs. the actual number of people there. I've been streaming Utah's games. The John M. Huntsman Center has been empty for all 3 games. They are claiming 1732, 1631 and 1645 for the 3 games. I seriously doubt there have even been 1600 people for all 3 games combined. What is gained by these completely bogus attendance figures? Anyone watching can see there's absolutely nobody there.

Cal vs. USF (at Chase Center, the Warriors' home) was similar. Officially 2057, I doubt there was even 1/4 that many people there.

Reaction Score
One of the most intriguing games to me is Marquette (3-0) vs. Colorado (2-0). Marquette is one of the favorites for 2nd place in the Big East, Colorado is a middle of the pack Pac 12 team looking to claw their way higher. Important outcome for both teams.
I think Marquette has to be the favorite here, but Colorado definitely has a great shot to continue a great start to the season for some of the more disappointing teams in the Pac last season. Utah, Colorado, and Cal have all started with some signs of life.

Reaction Score
Something I'm becoming obsessed w/ this year is attendance, specifically the "official" number vs. the actual number of people there. I've been streaming Utah's games. The John M. Huntsman Center has been empty for all 3 games. They are claiming 1732, 1631 and 1645 for the 3 games. I seriously doubt there have even been 1600 people for all 3 games combined. What is gained by these completely bogus attendance figures? Anyone watching can see there's absolutely nobody there.

Cal vs. USF (at Chase Center, the Warriors' home) was similar. Officially 2057, I doubt there was even 1/4 that many people there.

It's tricky, because I think the official numbers are tickets sold for a game which might not be the same as butts in the seat that we can see on screen.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I think Marquette has to be the favorite here, but Colorado definitely has a great shot to continue a great start to the season for some of the more disappointing teams in the Pac last season. Utah, Colorado, and Cal have all started with some signs of life.
I see Colorado as the favorite to win this, with all their starters back and especially playing at home. Traveling into altitude is not easy, and Marquette is not the same after losing Selena Lott and Camryn Taylor, and they've been kinda struggling to find their new identity. They added some decent transfers such as Karissa McLaughlin and Kennedi Myles, but the gelling process has a long way to go.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
It's tricky, because I think the official numbers are tickets sold for a game which might not be the same as butts in the seat that we can see on screen.
Yeah, I kinda figured that. I'm surprised there are that many people buying tickets for Utah games, and even more surprised so many are clearly choosing to skip the games thus far. They have the excuse of an away football game that was on TV at the same time for one game, but not the other 2.

USF was a double header event w/ the men's team playing the second game, I would assume there were more butts in seats for the second half of the double header.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
NC State handed Kansas State its first defeat of the season in the final game of the preseason WNIT, 90-69. Eight Wolfpack Women scored at least 8 points, with 4 scoring in double figures: Elissa Cunane (18), Diamond Johnson (13), Kayla Jones (12) and Raina Perez (12). Camille Hobby added 9 off the bench.

It is the first time in 24 years that NC State has had 4 consecutive games reaching the 85-point plateau.

In a game where both teams shot well, NC State shot 55% for the game, and was 10 of 20 from THREE, the fourth game in a row hitting at least 10 THREEs. Six different players nailed a THREE tonight: Cunane, Jones, Perez, Johnson, Jakia Brown-Turner and Kai Crutchfield.

Kansas State shot 48% for the game, and hit a season high 10 THREEs. Serena Sundell led the Wildcats with 21 points, shooting 6 of 14 from the field, including 5 of 11 from THREE. Leading scorer thus far this season, Ayoka Lee, who came in averaging 29.4 points per game, was held to 19 in tonight's contest.

NC State travels to the Bahamas for next week's Baha Mar Hoops Pink Flamingo Championship. The Wolfpack Women will play #3 Maryland Thanksgiving Day at 11 am, in what should be a high-scoring affair. On Friday, NC State will face off against Washington State.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Colorado might be one of the best teams in the Pac 12 if they could keep their better players from going elsewhere.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I see Colorado as the favorite to win this, with all their starters back and especially playing at home. Traveling into altitude is not easy, and Marquette is not the same after losing Selena Lott and Camryn Taylor, and they've been kinda struggling to find their new identity. They added some decent transfers such as Karissa McLaughlin and Kennedi Myles, but the gelling process has a long way to go.
Colorado looked really good last night (Clorado Live Stream) and stymied every Marquette run. I still think the Buffs would have a great season if they place 5th this year behind, Stanford, Arizona, Oregon and UCLA.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom