We need a point guard | Page 11 | The Boneyard

We need a point guard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There are a variety of ways to look at it. It's not that Hurley is incapable. It's that he hasn't made it a priority or put emphasis on it. How do we know that? We recruit a ton of shooting guards and combo guards. But we rarely recruit pure points.
I 100% agree it’s a recruiting issue. Though I push back on the “pure pg” idea. The only point which is 100% fact is that it takes the raw materials + great coaching and development to create great players. Calhoun didn’t make stiffs and bums great. He identified players who had materials he could mold

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
So let me get this straight. Jalen Adams under Hurley on this team would be good?
I see what you’re doing. But yes he was that talented. Probably the most talented PG we’ve ever had. But you shouldn’t need to have an Uber talented PG to have effective PG play. We’ve done more with a lot less.

But guys like Jalen Adams and, hopefully, someone like Castle are guys who would be really good regardless of who their coach is.

Reaction Score
Of course if we make a final 4 the Hurley criticisms will go away. My guess is you'll continue making excuses if we flame out again.
The misery brigade is wrong again lmfaoooo. I’ve said countless times before the season that this season will show whether Hurley is the guy. And that this group has to win tournament games this year or it’s a disappointing season. I just don’t go into depressive episodes when we have a bad stretch or lose a game. That’s the job of the misery brigade

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Cool. Tell me more about the team’s talent. Please. Go on.

Won’t even getting into a Hurley discussion with you, it’s not worth it, you and @UConnSwag11 have the same schtick there and it’s sub 100 iq arguments on it.
Not all of us can Mensa candidates like you.

Reaction Score
I see what you’re doing. But yes he was that talented. Probably the most talented PG we’ve ever had. But you shouldn’t need to have an Uber talented PG to have effective PG play. We’ve done more with a lot less.

But guys like Jalen Adams and, hopefully, someone like Castle are guys who would be really good regardless of who their coach is.
So abilities matter? And was Hurley effective at URI? And who were his great pgs there?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
That’s with the transfer portal. When we were .500 in the AAC that didn’t exist. The transfer portal changed the speed of rebuilds. And to add to that Xavier severely under achieved last season. Miller inherited more talent than Hurley

Being serious here. Two questions

When does UCONN's rebuilding phase end?

When do we stop using "UCONN in the ACC" and what Hurley "inherited" as an excuse for where we finish?

Reaction Score

When do we stop using "UCONN in the ACC" and what Hurley "inherited" as an excuse for where we finish?
The rebuild is over. The rebuild doesn’t end when you win a championship. We’re well past rebuilding the program. Where trying to take the next step imo. And in terms of rebuilding our talent, reputation, fan excitement, winning, expectations? He’s done a phenomenal job. Hurleys done such a good job that he’s allowed fans like you to exist again. Fans that have sky high expectations of tournament appearances every year and competing for titiles every year. That UConn fan went extinct in the AAC. Those expectations being back are proof of the job he’s done.

Second I don’t see anyone doing what your second question is saying

Reaction Score
So abilities matter? And was Hurley effective at URI? And who were his great pgs there?
Hurley beat McDermont and Lon Kreguer with Trae Young in NCAA tournament games. Yea, the guy can't coach a lick.

Reaction Score

You're completely missing the point and I think you know that. We're well past the point where the AAC and Ollie players are having an effect on UConn's performance. It matters in the context of comparing 2019 and 2020 UConn to 2023 Xavier and the speed of their rebuilds. It does not matter in comparing 2023 UConn vs 2023 Xavier

Reaction Score
Oh shut up. The goal post was never moved. Your lack of comprehension is your barrier. Physical abilities =\= athleticism. I stand by my statement. And you and one other person is “multiple ppl” lmaoo. That sense of self importance you have is incredible. A lot of the dumb stuff gets said by you. But I’m watching the Purdue/OSU game as we speak, I’ll continue to try my best :)
Yes, multiple as in more than one. Yes, you did move the goalposts.

You went from saying AJ Price is an all-time great college point guard to saying AJ Price is one of the best UConn point guards ever. Not sure why you decided to go back to saying Price is an all-time great college point guard but here we are.

You said something stupid and it's no big deal, it's best not to triple down on it.

I also said nothing about Price's physical abilities/athleticism.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
The rebuild is over. The rebuild doesn’t end when you win a championship. We’re well past rebuilding the program. Where trying to take the next step imo. And in terms of rebuilding our talent, reputation, fan excitement, winning, expectations? He’s done a phenomenal job. Hurleys done such a good job that he’s allowed fans like you to exist again. Fans that have sky high expectations of tournament appearances every year and competing for titiles every year. That UConn fan went extinct in the AAC. Those expectations being back are proof of the job he’s done.
The thing we criticize is his in game coaching and records, because it’s the same thing every year. Everything else he’s done well at, agreed. Vastly surpassed everyone’s OOC expectations.

No one came in here with NC expectations for this year. I’d assume, most came in here saying finish top 3 in the big east, and/or a second game win in the BET, and win a first round game in the NCAAT.

It also doesn’t help that we started 14-0 and were playing so great. That changed expectations. People defending Hurley and our current rank, use our OOC record to mock the people criticizing Hurley. People criticizing Hurley use our OOC record to justify the expectations for this years BE.

Reaction Score
The thing we criticize is his in game coaching and records, because it’s the same thing every year. Everything else he’s done well at, agreed. Vastly surpassed everyone’s OOC expectations.

No one came in here with NC expectations for this year. I’d assume, most came in here saying finish top 3 in the big east, and/or a second game win in the BET, and win a first round game in the NCAAT.

It also doesn’t help that we started 14-0 and were playing so great. That changed expectations. People defending Hurley and our current rank, use our OOC record to mock the people criticizing Hurley. People criticizing Hurley use our OOC record to justify the expectations for this years BE.
I completely understand everything you just said. And don’t actually disagree with said criticisms. There are just a vast amount of fans “misery brigade” who overstate every loss and understate every win. It’s extremely predictable. These fans fail to realize that the majority of CBB’s good teams this season have had similar stretches of bad basketball. That leads me to believe that it isn’t a Hurley issue every time we lose. Sometimes it’s the culture of CBB that causes this unexpected valleys in performance. With the transfer portal, NIL, and the volatility of rosters across the sport we should expect more and more of these valleys in performance like the one we had in January. I think Hurley attempted to correct our shooting woes of last season and in return made this team over reliant on it. When we make shots he’s a great coach, when we don’t all of a sudden he doesn’t know what he’s doing. We are top 3 in the country at shot quality. That shows that Hurley is getting the guys the shots they should make. The issue is they aren’t making them consistently on a game to game basis. With that said Hurley has the hold the blame for lineups, timeouts, and adjustments. He’s made significant strides in my opinion in these areas, with obvious room for improvement.

All in all I think we have the right guy. And the encouraging trends and signs are there to see for anyone who cares to see them. This team this season doesn’t deserve the vitriol they get in my opinion. They are a really good team with flaws that can be exploited. But guess what….so does the rest of the top 20. We have as good a shot as anybody to be in Houston.

Now imagine reading that last sentence 5 years ago.

Thank You Hurley

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I’m not too familiar with Hurley at URI to be honest. I remember Kuran Iverson playing there because he’s from the area and that’s pretty much it. But he never even made it to a sweet 16 there so idk why we would want to do anything like URI.

We’re not asking Hurley to produce the best PG in college basketball. We’re just asking for someone’s who’s effective like we’ve seen for 25 years straight before he got here. All of the PGs he’s recruited out of HS have been busts. Gaffney had physical tools to be good too so ability wasn’t an excuse there. Tristan Newton was a high level scorer who actually cooked us during his younger years at ECU, ability shouldn’t be an issue with him. It’s simply coaching man.

Reaction Score

A certain number of fans compare him to Calhoun. He is not Calhoun. He will never be Calhoun. There will never be another Calhoun. If people are crazy enough to compare the two and have that as your bar you will never be happy.

Hurley is a good coach, any suggestion otherwise is foolish. Is he a great coach? At the moment, no, and time will tell what he becomes.

If you're hung up on losing to St. John's get over it, UNC lost to almost 200 Kenpom ranked Pitt at home last year and went to the title game. Houston lost to ECU and Tulsa their final four year. Teams have bad losses. Its how you respond which matters.

Winning in March will be the only way to get the DH detractors to shut up, and we have proven we can win games against non BE teams and proven we can win neutral site tournaments. These are the games you play in the NCAAT.

You want to sit around and have a dump in your pants all season, so be it, there are plenty of people who will join you with soiled pants, I will enjoy the wins, recognize what this team is capable and keep planning on playing deep into March.

Reaction Score
I’m not too familiar with Hurley at URI to be honest. I remember Kuran Iverson playing there because he’s from the area and that’s pretty much it. But he never even made it to a sweet 16 there so idk why we would want to do anything like URI.

We’re not asking Hurley to produce the best PG in college basketball. We’re just asking for someone’s who’s effective like we’ve seen for 25 years straight before he got here. All of the PGs he’s recruited out of HS have been busts. Gaffney had physical tools to be good too so ability wasn’t an excuse there. Tristan Newton was a high level scorer who actually cooked us during his younger years at ECU, ability shouldn’t be an issue with him. It’s simply coaching man.
Tristan cooked in the AAC. And I tend to believe he’ll cook again in the tournament when there is more freedom of movement. With how physical certain teams are allowed to play in the big east, it’s hard for physically challenged players like Newton to get any form of separation. Vital got better under Hurley. It’s not “coaching” or “development” we’ve seen him thrive with developing too many other players to say that. It’s recruiting pgs with the right tools. I think he knows that and has already corrected it in the loudest way possible with castle.

Reaction Score
Hurleys done such a good job that he’s allowed fans like you to exist again. Fans that have sky high expectations of tournament appearances every year and competing for titiles every year.
I totally disagree. I’m not a fan of Hurleys in game coaching though I think he’s great at all the other program stuff. Coaching matters and like it or not, better game day coaches generally win more games. He’s 50…how much more time does he need to be a good coach?
If he’s such a great game day coach how come folks on here talk about stuff 2-3 weeks before Hurley seems to notice…like sending AJ to the hoop not shooting 3s

There are lots of coaches who’ve had 40 year careers being just good enough. My fear is that will be Hurley….unless he can recruit top5 classes that my compensate
The issue is they aren’t making them consistently on a game to game basis. With that said Hurley has the hold the blame for lineups, timeouts, and adjustments.
You use not making 3s as an excuse. NO ONE even Curry is always shooting their season avg…the issue for me is when our 3s aren’t falling his solution is just shoot more.

Reaction Score
I totally disagree. I’m not a fan of Hurleys in game coaching though I think he’s great at all the other program stuff. Coaching matters and like it or not, better game day coaches generally win more games. He’s 50…how much more time does he need to be a good coach?
If he’s such a great game day coach how come folks on here talk about stuff 2-3 weeks before Hurley seems to notice…like sending AJ to the hoop not shooting 3s

There are lots of coaches who’ve had 40 year careers being just good enough. My fear is that will be Hurley….unless he can recruit top5 classes that my compensate

You use not making 3s as an excuse. NO ONE even Curry is always shooting their season avg…the issue for me is when our 3s aren’t falling his solution is just shoot more.
1. You didn’t disagree with anything you quoted.
2. Who calls Hurley a “great” game coach?
3. His solution is not “just shoot more”. That’s narrative, actually watch the game. We get some of the best looks in all of college basketball.
4. That’s a valid fear. We’ll see.

Reaction Score
Tristan cooked in the AAC. And I tend to believe he’ll cook again in the tournament when there is more freedom of movement. With how physical certain teams are allowed to play in the big east, it’s hard for physically challenged players like Newton to get any form of separation. Vital got better under Hurley. It’s not “coaching” or “development” we’ve seen him thrive with developing too many other players to say that. It’s recruiting pgs with the right tools. I think he knows that and has already corrected it in the loudest way possible with castle.
Serious ? Where do u rank DH in the BE Gameday coaches hierarchy? I can’t put him higher than 5 and prob 6

Reaction Score
Yes, multiple as in more than one. Yes, you did move the goalposts.

You went from saying AJ Price is an all-time great college point guard to saying AJ Price is one of the best UConn point guards ever. Not sure why you decided to go back to saying Price is an all-time great college point guard but here we are.

You said something stupid and it's no big deal, it's best not to triple down on it.

I also said nothing about Price's physical abilities/athleticism.
Please keep up. AJ Price being a top 4 UConn pg of all time makes him an all time great. That’s not moving the goal post. Its adding context to my opinion. Your truth isn’t fact. Come down off of that high horse. I will quadruple down on it. I’ll ask again, please shut up.

Reaction Score
Depends on who you mean by "we" and what you mean by "need".

UConn basketball has all the talent it NEEDS to make a deep run in March. The only question is coaching.

On the other hand, Danny Hurley probably needs a lineup that looks like Kemba Walker, Rip Hamilton, Ray Allen, Donyell Marshall and Emeka Okafor, with Shabazz Napier, Marcus Williams, Rudy Gay, Ben Gordon, Charlie Villanueva and Khalid El-Amin coming off the bench to have a good shot at making the Final Four.
He’d never be able to manage that many. ;^)

Reaction Score
Are there many great coaches with losing records in your opinion?
Bad coaching does not necessarily result in a loss. I offer you yesterday against Seton Hall as Exhibit A. Just because we won does not mean he coached a good game. We won in spite of our coach.

That make it a little easier for you to comprehend??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom