We need a point guard | Page 9 | The Boneyard

We need a point guard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No it was a Cole and Martin issue. They had the ball the most and it would stick. Martin, especially, was not good at finding his teammates.

RJ Cole averaged 4 assists a game and he was our ONLY ball handler/passer.
You’re hilariously wrong

Reaction Score
The posts keep coming from you don’t they….what do you say the morning after Newton plays well and we win? Still miserable? Love the posts that just say we need a point guard. You don’t consider anything such as what he does well and how Newton is being defended at times..how the opposing coach may be taking Newton out of a certain game and making other guys beat the opposing team that game….how he fits in with the team…and what he does well for us….rebounds, hits free throws….averages 10 points a game….what were you saying after we signed a Diggins a few years ago? And…I guarantee you were saying hey, we got our PG of the future..highly rated, fast….how did that work out? PGs just get picked up at the PG store and they do everything you want them to do every game…..these posts make it sound like you just go to the store and pick one up…laughable

Reaction Score
Boatwright was #55 on 247 and consensus #64. Shabazz was a consensus #75.
I seem to remember that Shabazz was outside the top 100 UNTIL he got an offer rom UConn. He rose in the rankings after Calhoun grabbed him up. That may have a lot to do with Napier coming a year early however, but I'd make the case that Shabazz didn't seem to have great athleticisim.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I seem to remember that Shabazz was outside the top 100 UNTIL he got an offer rom UConn. He rose in the rankings after Calhoun grabbed him up. That may have a lot to do with Napier coming a year early however, but I'd make the case that Shabazz didn't seem to have great athleticisim.
The only guards we’ve ever had that were superior athletes were Kemba with his speed, Boatright, and Jalen Adams. Everyone else was just simply coached to be an extension of their coach on the floor. Be great leaders, control pace, make the right plays etc. Watching guys like Price, Kemba, Bazz, and to an extent Boatright was a masterclass in knowing how to run offense and get your teammates involved while also knowing when to get yours. All of them had complete control over games.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Go ahead. I genuinely don’t care. The point is boat, price, and Kemba were great college pgs. And it had as much to do with physical ability as it did “coaching”. An RJ Cole with this group and we might be the #1 team in the country
@AntG168

Reaction Score
It’s like people really don’t remember how stagnant our offense was last year and how hard it was for us to get a good look.
Well, none of the parts could move. Sanogo was one-dimensional. Whaley was last year's Andre. Polley couldn't get free, and Hawkins wasn't the player he's getting to be now. And Andre was still Andre (wish he'd watch more Dr J and less Pistol Pete).

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Well, none of the parts could move. Sanogo was one-dimensional. Whaley was last year's Andre. Polley couldn't get free, and Hawkins wasn't the player he's getting to be now. And Andre was still Andre (wish he'd watch more Dr J and less Pistol Pete).
We can go back and forth on roster construction and all that. Cause I have certain opinions that pin a lot of some guys struggles on Hurley.

But at the end of the day Jalen Adams averaged more assists than RJ Cole on that horrible 2017-2018 roster. Passing to way less talented players. RJ just was not a good passer and did not have good vision.

Think of the amount of drop off passes we’ve seen this year. We NEVER saw that last year because guys were simply not good at making them or alley oop passes.

Reaction Score
You didn't but you alluded to his physical ability and you called him an all-time great college point guard.
Again where did I call AJ Price a top athlete. AJ price was quick and twitchy. Physical Abilities. Newton is neither quick or twitchy
The injury stripped him of some of his physical abilities. But even after the injury he’s was quick and twitchy as hell.

And he was imo. He won a crap load of games. One of the best UConn pgs ever. Kemba, Bazz, El Amin, Price?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
The injury stripped him of some of his physical abilities. But even after the injury he’s was quick and twitchy as hell.

And he was imo. He won a crap load of games. One of the best UConn pgs ever. Kemba, Bazz, El Amin, Price?
Every PG we had could be considered that. That’s the point of its coaching. Marcus Williams and Taliek Brown had amazing control of the offense too. We talked about Boatright. We didn’t miss because everyone was coached the same.

Look at how much Kemba completely changed as a player from his freshman year to his junior year. Not only skill wise, but IQ wise. It was far from just physical ability.

Reaction Score

So you're changing the goalposts, cool.

Reaction Score
Every PG we had could be considered that. That’s the point of its coaching. Marcus Williams and Taliek Brown had amazing control of the offense too. We talked about Boatright. We didn’t miss because everyone was coached the same.

Look at how much Kemba completely changed as a player from his freshman year to his junior year. Not only skill wise, but IQ wise. It was far from just physical ability.
Every pg we had could not be considered that. And Ok your argument is Calhoun was a great coach? I agree..

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
@superjohn @HuskyWarrior611 perfect timing

Great

Thanks for sharing. AJ was a personal favorite to watch play. That crossover was so nasty. He wasn’t much of a blow by guy though as much as he was a shot creator. Like he did on that crossover lmaooo. His jumper was butter and he knew how to get to his spots and elevate.

Reaction Score
Thanks for sharing. AJ was a personal favorite to watch play. That crossover was so nasty. He wasn’t much of a blow by guy though as much as he was a shot creator. Like he did on that crossover lmaooo. His jumper was butter and he knew how to get to his spots and elevate.
Yea he was quick and twitchy lol. Which is what made him so elusive. I think we forget how good he was. He damn near dropped 40 6 and 6 on a top ten team.

*On The Road lmao

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Yea he was quick and twitchy lol. Which is what made him so elusive. I think we forget how good he was. He damn near dropped 40 6 and 6 on a top ten team.
Yeah on 8 3s. He wasn’t blowing by guys to the rim. He was just an elite jump shooter. Athleticism wise, him and RJ are probably the same actually. AJ could just got his shot off over most guys.

I don’t think there’s one highlight of him blowing by someone all throughout the OOC (as far as I’ve watched) in this clip. It’s just straight jumpshots. Lol. Dropped 24 on Gonzaga on just 3s pretty much.

Reaction Score
Yeah on 8 3s. He wasn’t blowing by guys to the rim. He was just an elite jump shooter. Athleticism wise, him and RJ are probably the same actually. AJ could just got his shot off over most guys.

I don’t think there’s one highlight of him blowing by someone all throughout the OOC (as far as I’ve watched) in this clip. It’s just straight jumpshots. Lol. Dropped 24 on Gonzaga on just 3s pretty much.

I’m not talking about blow by speed. Yes he could shoot. But his quickness is what made him elite

Reaction Score
Me - “We need a point guard”
Pundits - “UConn needs a point guard”
Everyone else on earth - “They need a point guard”
Aliens from outer space - “Those earthlings need a point guard”

You kids -

Tantrum Crying GIF

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I’m not talking about blow by speed. Yes he could shoot. But his quickness is what made him elite
No his jumpshot was. He’s probably the best jumpshot shooter from anywhere in our history.

I don’t think the athleticism of our current guards are the issue. It’s the mental. Gaffney being the prime example and now Newton. We never used to have mental problems. Hell, Craig Austrie and Donell Beverly were very useable PGs for us.

Reaction Score
The criticism doesn’t disappear after a win. The criticism exists because observers see flaws in strategy and in execution that should be improving as the season moves toward March.
Idiocy of the Boneyard: coach is great if we win, sucks if we lose. Unreal.

Reaction Score
Sometimes I feel like half this board doesn't watch any games outside of ours. They would be freaking out if they were a fan of pretty much any other team in the nation. Look at the Big East alone, I can't imagine the mental breakdown this board would have if we lost to Purdue or Butler, and yet Xavier lost to both. Marquette got blown out by us, we would say that's proof we're not good enough to hang with the best teams in this league if the opposite happened to us. Providence just lot to St. John's and only beat Rider by one point earlier this year!

Every game is not going to be a blowout or include a flawless performance. Nobody in college basketball does that. There are things that need to be cleaned up, but ultimately we're a top 15 team and have the ability to make a deep run in March. I wanted us to be a top 5 team the way we started but I think its safe to say we're not that. So my recommendation would be to stop worrying so much and try to enjoy the ride.
You think losing to Butler would be the same as losing to Purdue??? My god this place gets crazier every day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom