We need a point guard | Page 12 | The Boneyard

We need a point guard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Please keep up. AJ Price being a top 4 UConn pg of all time makes him an all time great. That’s not moving the goal post. Its adding context to my opinion. Your truth isn’t fact. Come down off of that high horse. I will quadruple down on it. I’ll ask again, please shut up.
"Please keep up. AJ Price being a top 4 UConn pg of all time makes him an all time great."

It makes him an all-time great point guard at UConn, it doesn't make him an all-time great point guard in college basketball.

You stated AJ Price is an all-time great college point guard. That's a laughable statement so I objected. Then you stated AJ Price is one of the best UConn point guards which is obviously an entirely different statement. That's the changing of the goalposts.

Now you're trying to pretend those are the same two things.

UConn has had some really good point guards and it can be argued Price is a top 5 point guard for UConn all-time, I would have him just outside of it. Obviously UConn is just one team out of 300+ D1 college basketball teams so saying UConn and saying college basketball are two entirely different things. I can easily name 100 college point guards who were better than AJ Price and then I could probably name another 100.

Reaction Score
Hurley's regular season success will not determine whether or not the seat is hot. Make a sweet-16 or better this year or the next... that's it. No way is a guy getting fired who can consistently put together a top-25 team.

Top-25 all regular is solid. The only realy question left is if we can put together a tourney performance. I said it before the season that I'm not concerned with the regular season. It's put up or shut up time in March.

We blame coaching (and for good reason), but the reality is that shooting would solve 80% of our concerns. It's the most important skill in the game, and we don't have enough consistent shooters. We basically have 2 who you can count on. We also don't have enough shooters yet for next season.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
242 posts (and counting) in a thread that is pretty much dedicated to a rather self-evident proposition that was offered 3 years ago, and continues to produce neither useful light nor heat, but instead serves as a tug-o-war prop to keep solidified contrary opinion in perpetual agitation.

Even without polishing per se, we have a turd serving as a bright shiny object. That's impressive, just not in a good way.

4 games remain to determine whether this team will be seeded 4th, 5th, or 6th for the Big East Tournament.
They will be played one at a time.
They will be prepared for one game at a time.
"We need a point guard" better not be the focusing thought for the coaches & players.
Not on February 19th, 4 weeks before the tart of the NCAA Tournament.
The roster is fixed for the season; the coaching staff is fixed too.
Stop feeding the distraction.

Stop leaping at the head fakes.
Stop reaching in with soft fouls that provide the 'and 1' after the opposition has gotten by you.
Stop taking poorly-chosen shots too early in a clock that needs to and can be managed judiciously.
Stop running down the clock until there's no time to find a good shot.
Force or allow opposition to make mistakes; they are imperfect and feeling pressure.
Don't bail them out because you've forgotten who you are and what's important in the moment.

Apply these concepts to your posting to clear the psychic space for the coaches and players to do the same. If you want to battle monsters, take care not to behave like them.

Stop trying to convince people that your negative perception and analysis is the most insightful. It's not helpful. It keeps the energy stuck where you are claiming you don't want it to be. It's not the time for this. It makes you look like an unhappy child writhing around on its back, claiming that the people who do not submit to your takes on how & why things suck are like unhappy children writhing around on their backs.

Here's the bone you want: yeah, most of the best complaints here are more true than not. Got it?

Now, so what, and shut up: at this very present point, you are making things worse if you continue.

Don't talk to yourself or your spouse or children or partner(s) or friends or other family or work associates or neighbors or anyone else you care about this way, if your preference is improvement and fulfillment. And don't be surprised if the so-called bad energy continues if you spend too much time in a state of upset about the unchangeable past or dread about the uncertain future.

"I hope to heck I'm wrong about how I feel about this team" is not an effective rallying cry. And it is not the only option. Your power is limited. Make the most of what you can with what you've got.

Start now, if you haven't already.
Beautifully stated. But sadly it’s likely your elegance will be lost in the turbulence of the tornado.

The noble part of me hopes that at least one of these individuals would look at themselves critically and reevaluate their approach to life instead of trying to change others in order to find happiness.

The non noble part of me would just like to throat punch the vast majority of them.

Do you remember the thread in which a Kentucky fan was ridiculed over his rant on a radio fan forum? When it appeared I wanted to write he sounded just like the overwhelming majority of people here. I chose not to because I didn’t want to ruin the high we were having at the time.

Reaction Score
"Please keep up. AJ Price being a top 4 UConn pg of all time makes him an all time great."

It makes him an all-time great point guard at UConn, it doesn't make him an all-time great point guard in college basketball.

You stated AJ Price is an all-time great college point guard. That's a laughable statement so I objected. Then you stated AJ Price is one of the best UConn point guards which is obviously an entirely different statement. That's the changing of the goalposts.

Now you're trying to pretend those are the same two things.

UConn has had some really good point guards and it can be argued Price is a top 5 point guard for UConn all-time, I would have him just outside of it. Obviously UConn is just one team out of 300+ D1 college basketball teams so saying UConn and saying college basketball are two entirely different things. I can easily name 100 college point guards who were better than AJ Price and then I could probably name another 100.
You are completely lost. I stated Price being a top 4 pg at UConn as my reasoning for why he’s an all time great in CBB. It’s really not hard to understand if you cared to at all. It’s opinion. Laugh all you want I couldn’t give less of a damn lol. By definition that is not moving the goal post as I never changed my claim. In case you still don’t get it. My opinion is: AJ PRICE IS AN ALL TIME GREAT COLLEGE PG.

Clear enough for you?

And I would love to see you name 200 college pgs better than AJ Price lmfaooo. See I told you you say dumb stuff. Exhibit A

Go ahead SuperJohn show us how smart you are. 200 starting now

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Of the possible options we had for this season, I'll take Newton every time. He's the 3rd or 4th option and that is perfectly fine. His role is probably the most well defined on the squad after Hawkins.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Bad coaching does not necessarily result in a loss. I offer you yesterday against Seton Hall as Exhibit A. Just because we won does not mean he coached a good game. We won in spite of our coach.

That make it a little easier for you to comprehend??
Mmmm, no not really. In the end, every “great coach” is defined by what he wins. National championships. Total victories. Conference championships. Winning is relevant in determining greatness.

Reaction Score
You are completely lost. I stated Price being a top 4 pg at UConn as my reasoning for why he’s an all time great in CBB. It’s really not hard to understand if you cared to at all. It’s opinion. Laugh all you want I couldn’t give less of a damn lol. By definition that is not moving the goal post as I never changed my claim. In case you still don’t get it. My opinion is: AJ PRICE IS AN ALL TIME GREAT COLLEGE PG.

Clear enough for you?

And I would love to see you name 200 college pgs better than AJ Price lmfaooo. See I told you you say dumb stuff. Exhibit A

Go ahead SuperJohn show us how smart you are. 200 starting now
Magic Johnson, Oscar Robertson, Isaiah Thomas, Jason Kidd, Gary Payton, Steve Nash, Chris Paul, Bob Cousy, Ernie DiGregorio, Calvin Murphy, Allen Iverson, Sidney Moncreif, Sherm Douglas, Pearl Washington, Dave Bing, Penny Hardaway, Pistol Pete, Steph Curry, Jerry West, Mark Price, Kemba Walker, Kenny Anderson, John Stockton, Randolph Childress, John Lucas, Jameer Nelson, Jaques Vaughn, Jalen Brunson, Trey Burke, Mookie Blaylock, Colin Gillespie, Ryan Archidiacano, Raymond Felton, Chris Corchiani, Ty Lawson, Khalid El-Amin, Shabazz Napier, Steve Alford, Bobby Hurley, Kevin Johnson, Alvin Robertson, Terry Dehere, Terrell Brandon, Luke Ridnour, Eric Murdock, Michael Adams, John Bagley, Greg Anthony, Kyle Lowry, Kris Dunn, Jason Williams (Duke), Johnny Dawkins, Phil Ford, Steve Francis, Ja Morant, Mateen Cleaves, Deron Williams, Trae Young, Damon Stoudamire, Norm Nixon, Ed Cota, Mike Bibby, Henry Bibby, Chris Jackson, TJ Ford, Andre Miller, Rod Strickland, Kenny the Jet, Dana Barros, Chris Smith, Travis Best, Jalen Rose, Scott Skiles, Sleepy Floyd, Chauncey Billups, Darren Collison, Jerian Grant, Lenny Wilkens, Jimmer Fredette, Tim Hardaway, Mark Jackson, Baron Davis, Ron Harper, Mo Cheeks, Gail Goodrich, Fat Lever, Mark Jackson, Runnin' Reggie Theus, Walt Clyde Frazier, Earl Monroe, Davion Mitchell, Jaden Ivey, Dan Dickau, Carsen Edwards, Malcom Brogdon, DJ Augustin, AJ Guyton, Danny Ainge, Derek Harper, Vinnie Johnson, Lee Mayberry

That's well over 100 I think and I could keep going for a while but this is too time consuming.

Reaction Score
Bad coaching does not necessarily result in a loss. I offer you yesterday against Seton Hall as Exhibit A. Just because we won does not mean he coached a good game. We won in spite of our coach.

That make it a little easier for you to comprehend??
When uconn wins, Hurley gets no credit
When uconn loses, he’s to blame

Did I sum up your position correctly?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Tristan cooked in the AAC. And I tend to believe he’ll cook again in the tournament when there is more freedom of movement. With how physical certain teams are allowed to play in the big east, it’s hard for physically challenged players like Newton to get any form of separation. Vital got better under Hurley. It’s not “coaching” or “development” we’ve seen him thrive with developing too many other players to say that. It’s recruiting pgs with the right tools. I think he knows that and has already corrected it in the loudest way possible with castle.
Do you find it strange that Hurley’s best “development” jobs have been Ollie’s recruits while he struggles with his own? Vital wasn’t that crazy of an athlete either with tools by the way. He was only a 3* player.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
1. You didn’t disagree with anything you quoted.
2. Who calls Hurley a “great” game coach?
3. His solution is not “just shoot more”. That’s narrative, actually watch the game. We get some of the best looks in all of college basketball.
4. That’s a valid fear. We’ll see.
Hurley has had many a post game press conference where he’s explicitly said we should’ve taken more threes as a solution. Specifically when talking about ANDRE JACKSON and SANOGO. Two of the worst three point shooters maybe on the whole team outside of DC.

We only get good looks from three. Which is the whole problem.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
How about producing an all time great college point guard like Ryan Boatright, AJ Price, or Magic Johnson?
Don’t forget about RJ Cole. He’s a UConn legend. Hurley did produce that. Lol

Reaction Score
Hurley has had many a post game press conference where he’s explicitly said we should’ve taken more threes as a solution. Specifically when talking about ANDRE JACKSON and SANOGO. Two of the worst three point shooters maybe on the whole team outside of DC.

How many dunks did we have yesterday against one of the best defenses in the country? Those aren’t good looks to you?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
How many dunks did we have yesterday against one of the best defenses in the country? Those aren’t good looks to you?
That just happened last game. That’s a good offense. And even THEN, in the post game presser Hurley talks about how we should’ve taken more threes.

Reaction Score
I 100% agree it’s a recruiting issue. Though I push back on the “pure pg” idea. The only point which is 100% fact is that it takes the raw materials + great coaching and development to create great players. Calhoun didn’t make stiffs and bums great. He identified players who had materials he could mold
I really think it's a matter of scouting.

Reaction Score
That just happened last game. That’s a good offense. And even THEN, in the post game presser Hurley talks about how we should’ve taken more threes.
He wants to run a 4 out offense with 3 shooters.

Reaction Score

Those last 2 sentences are just blatantly false

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
The whole sport is
Lol there’s a difference between relying on shooting threes and being capable. Hurley wants to rely on it.
Those last 2 sentences are just blatantly false
I’m not counting Andre’s dunks that happen because the defender is literally paying him no mind. Which is an adjustment I’ve personally been begging for for months because it’s always been right there. We do not draw up plays to get to the rim outside of Sanogo post ups.

Reaction Score
Lol there’s a difference between relying on shooting threes and being capable. Hurley wants to rely on it.

I’m not counting Andre’s dunks that happen because the defender is literally paying him no mind. Which is an adjustment I’ve personally been begging for for months because it’s always been right there. We do not draw up plays to get to the rim outside of Sanogo post ups.
Again false. Every Hawkins screen has the option of going to the rim. This just isn’t true no matter how many times you say it

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Again false. Every Hawkins screen has the option of going to the rim. This just isn’t true no matter how many times you say it
Okay cool, you’re saying that action that starts with Hawkins getting the ball at the three counts as drawing up plays to get to the rim. That’s your prerogative.

Reaction Score
Okay cool, you’re saying that action that starts with Hawkins getting the ball at the three counts as drawing up plays to get to the rim. That’s your prerogative.
Do you understand options? The play is literally drawn up for the defender to go under the screen and he shoot or the defender try and go over and he drives. It’s a read. Karaban gets post ups ran for him, Andre and Clingan get lob plays drawn up for them. There’s a bunch of plays Hurley runs with the intent of getting tot he rim. You have to know what you’re watching

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom