We need a new coach | Page 9 | The Boneyard

We need a new coach

Reaction Score
1. If he goes I'd hate to lose some of the guys we have and the recruits we have coming in. Yes, I'm selfish like that but there's no guarantee the next guy could bring in better kids and rebuilds guarantee nothing.
2. If changes are made I'll be more disappointed about Chillious not having the adequate time to fully recruit under normal circumstances. Total
Waste.
3. I'm a fan of UConn MBB regardless of what happens. Hopefully things work
Out.

I doubt the parents of the kids are particularly thrilled to see their sons investment of time and effort and their sacrifices as parents going South either. These kids dream of winning and the parents want them to be happy. So the odds of leaving are probably as great or greater if the status quo holds.

Reaction Score
They thought Jamie Dixon was slipping at Pitt, and put out the word for a rebuild... remind me what happened next? Oh right...

What happened to Pitt basketball?
Agree that bringing in a new coach is going to result in some turmoil and a transition period. But do you not see that we are already where Pitt is? Don’t be confused by the fact we’re not 0-13 in conference play. - we would be if we were in the ACC or NBE. The parallels are striking:

They had an NCAA-high 11 newcomers, zero returning starters and three total players with NCAA Division I experience on the roster when camp opened. [we had 8 newcomers]

Attendance is down precipitously. A team that had consistently averaged 10,000 fans since...2002 has an average attendance of 4,154 this season.

has lost its ACC games by an average of 20 points. It has lost six of those by 24 or more, including its past three. Among the most glaring issues: Pitt has no physical presence inside, and its shooters are streaky and inconsistent.

Coaches break down practice and game tape with players and show them lessons to take.
[OK, maybe there are a few differences]

St. John's transfer Malik Ellison is sitting out this season because of NCAA rules and will be a valuable addition when he is eligible next year. [everyone poaches St.John’s]

Reaction Score
Ollie seems like a different man since his divorce and since he lost Calhoun's recruits. Many people can't wrap their heads around how a guy who busted his balls to last a decade in the league all of a sudden got soft and hasn't put in the effort.

I think the divorce changed him, I think unreal success right away changed him a ton. The guy who worked for every scrap he ever got in the NBA all of a sudden became a coaching superstar. Rumors about OKC and even LA came. He went from being the guy who we all wondered how he would handle the job and continue the legacy. turned into a full blown star almost over night. It was his program from then on and he flexed his muscle, Calhoun was no longer his mentor/confidant he was more of a crutch he had to break free from to show it was 100% his deal. Recruiting wise he dentified who he wanted but got sloppy and lazy on the legwork.

Basically he had massive success sustaining what we had the first two years but once it became 100% his "baby" he was way in over his head. We've been horrible and directionless since and the evidence is all over his face and every time the team takes the court.

Reaction Score
The best move for Ollie is negotiate a buyout and go sit on someone's bench in the NBA the next few years. He needs to rehab his coaching career.
How the buyout is handled will be fascinating to watch. Its easy to argue that both sides need to handle this with care.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
How the buyout is handled will be fascinating to watch. Its easy to argue that both sides need to handle this with care.
I think Ollie’s side will handle it like Pauly in Goodfellas. Blank you, pay me.

Reaction Score
If its indeed what everyone wants and can afford I expect it will show us a little more about KO, just saying. If he has indeed let the program down as many here have said, due to not working hard enough etc etc., then hopefully he will man up and take an affordable root for both without much noise.

Reaction Score
They thought Jamie Dixon was slipping at Pitt, and put out the word for a rebuild... remind me what happened next? Oh right...

What happened to Pitt basketball?

Is that what we want? Who wants to rebuild at UConn when the previous coach won a national championship and was known for his resiliency as an NBA player and alumnus? Do we have the money to bring in a truly proven coach?

None of you recognize how ready you are to roll the dice...

They realized things were not up to standard at Washington, NC State, and Ohio State last year. Washington was KenPom 163 last year, now they are KenPom 103 and 1st overall pick Markelle Fultz was there the year prior.

North Carolina State was KenPom 109 last year, in comes the new coach and now they are KenPoom 55 and they lost Dennis Smith Jr. to the draft.

Ohio St. was KenPom 73 last year, out goes the old coach in comes the new coach and now they are KenPom 16 after dealing with a ton of roster turnover. The impact of these hires was felt immediately.

All of these cases the teams lost a lot of talent yet good coaching overcame the issue and made the programs better off in both the short & long terms.

By comparison, when Jamie Dixon was fired from Pitt, they were KenPom 37 had just made the tournament as an 10 seed and went 21-12 in the ACC. We would not be having this conversation today if KO could meet that very low bar. We are KenPom 172 as of this posting, an absolute embarrassment. Back to back losing seasons now for KO -- apples and oranges comparison between KO & Dixon.

EDIT: I forgot Dixon was pushed out but not fired, but you get the idea.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They realized things were not up to standard at Washington, NC State, and Ohio State last year. Washington was KenPom 163 last year, now they are KenPom 103 and 1st overall pick Markelle Fultz was there the year prior.

North Carolina State was KenPom 109 last year, in comes the new coach and now they are KenPoom 55 and they lost Dennis Smith Jr. to the draft.

Ohio St. was KenPom 73 last year, out goes the old coach in comes the new coach and now they are KenPom 16 after dealing with a ton of roster turnover. The impact of these hires was felt immediately.

All of these cases the teams lost a lot of talent yet good coaching overcame the issue and made the programs better off in both the short & long terms.

By comparison, when Jamie Dixon was fired from Pitt, they were KenPom 37 had just made the tournament as an 10 seed and went 21-12 in the ACC. We would not be having this conversation today if KO could meet that very low bar. We are KenPom 172 as of this posting, an absolute embarrassment. Back to back losing seasons now for KO -- apples and oranges comparison between KO & Dixon.

Those 3 teams are in the PAC12, The Big 10 and the ACC... Not mid-major AAC..

The most honest statement in this thread is.

“Everyone ready to roll the dice”

And it will be for all the money. If new coach does not get it done so are we..

We are way more likely to end up like PITT than Ohio State, NC State or even Washington..

Digest that

Reaction Score
I think Ollie’s side will handle it like Pauly in Goodfellas. Blank you, pay me.

This is the most likely scenario, unless KO just doesn’t want to do this anymore.

Reaction Score

That, and Dixon wasn’t actually fired.

RoderickSpode

7th Earl of Sidcup
Reaction Score

We are way more likely to end up like PITT than Ohio State, NC State or even Washington..

Digest that
We are Pitt (minus the P5 money). We are irrelevant.

If we hire another coach and remain irrelevant, so be it. At least we can say we tried. But to continue on this path is program suicide.

Reaction Score
We will have a new coach next yr. He is Kevin Ollie with new players. You wont believe how much one-two new players make u look so much smarter

Reaction Score

Digest that

We already are Pitt.

UConn KenPom 172
Pitt KenPom 232

That's one in the same to me.

KO isn't working. I'd like to see if someone else can tackle the job. You are also short selling the UConn brand/facilities/recruiting grounds that a new coach can't come in and figure it out. All 3 schools listed above are inferior in all 3 aspects by comparison.

Reaction Score

Digest that

How many losing years in a row would you give Ollie before you considered doing something?

C

Chief00

I think the answer is clear. Calhoun comes back to work for free.. not a dime.

Drame - Good luck with that conversation - Let me know how the working for nothing conversation goes with Jim?

Reaction Score
I am done watching or going to a UCONN MBB game till KO is gone.

But I will always come back to the Boneyard because you guys speak the truth!
Have'nt watched a complete mens game in years. Painful to watch. Now that WTIC and Uconn have ended boradcasting contract, won't have to listen to them anymore either.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
we could hypothetically go 9-22 and there will still be posters who say "it could be worse!!"
If Jalen leaves and Ollie's back next year, we'd be lucky to go 9-22.

Reaction Score
How many losing years in a row would you give Ollie before you considered doing something?

If you do not have a chance at a Big time Coach do not just hire what you can get to chsnge for the sake of change.

This is going to be like picking the best looking girl at closing time at the bar..

Ready for a single digit win season???? Could very well be what you get..

A big time Coach will keep most players/ recruits and draw recruits...

Some guy who had a good season or two in some mid- major or some “ up and coming “ coach who is not a big recruiter nor knows how to recruit with the big boys is going to crash and burn here..

Take it to the bank

Reaction Score
If you do not have a chance at a Big time Coach do not just hire what you can get to chsnge for the sake of change.

This is going to be like picking the best looking girl at closing time at the bar..

Ready for a single digit win season???? Could very well be what you get..

A big time Coach will keep most players/ recruits and draw recruits...

Some guy who had a good season or two in some mid- major or some “ up and coming “ coach who is not a big recruiter nor knows how to recruit with the big boys is going to crash and burn here..

Take it to the bank
are you going to pay $5mm of your own money to hire this so-called "Big time coach?"

Who do you consider to be a "big time coach?"

Reaction Score
i really really really hope that *if* KO is out that we push for dan hurley. really think this is the man to take us forward and i love how he instills confidence in his players whereas our coaches love to sit down in the most crucial moments of a game. dan never puts his head down and the players definitely take note of that, they just know that he's trusting them and that they trust him. don't think that's what our squad has at the moment with the current setup.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom