We need a new coach | Page 8 | The Boneyard

We need a new coach

Reaction Score
You asked who still supports Ollie being our coach in the future. Gtcam, javjudah, topdog, cap'n, Pudge, and Jerry just off the top of my head but there are still a bunch.

Congrats. You’ve become a bigger Jerk. Enjoying your role as a divisive player.

Go ahead. Don’t respect my opinion. But I don’t think any one of us is enjoying this mess. I’m disheartened for a lot of important issues. I have zero inside scoop. But pounding your chest and claiming you were first to cry for KOs Head is no great accomplishment - in my view.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Go ahead. Don’t respect my opinion. But I don’t think any one of us is enjoying this mess. I’m disheartened for a lot of important issues. I have zero inside scoop. But pounding your chest and claiming you were first to cry for KOs Head is no great accomplishment - in my view.
To be fair, he was far from the first. Freescooter and deadrody were there from the start.

C

Chief00

You didn’t have to watch the entire 40 minutes of last night; just the last 2.

I’m a glutton ... I want to re-watch the 6 games in 2014 & the Conference Tournament & maybe the last few regular season games.

I hate that many throw Kevin Ollie in with Diaco because I just see BD as a fool. Impossible hubris. Both proved, quite frankly, that they couldn’t manage the Full Bigtime Program - not the way we need. But Ollie did coach a group of kids to something special ... and he’s not got that kind of capability today. It’s not Hobbs & Miller leaving. Ollie is getting out-coached by guys that couldn’t win a first round game. If he looks in that mirror, he’s got to say “I’m all f——- up”. Sure there is $. But, he is as emotional about this school as I am; and therefore, he’s got to find a way forward with dignity. This March.

This BS that his value in NBA is diminished doesn’t fly. He needs the right situation; but he’s got great guys who will lift him to a solid spot. Maybe HC again. Today I have no confidence in his ability to win in CBB.

I agree the last two minutes were a disaster on fundamentals.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He found one team and gave them roles where they succeeded. In March 2014.

And he gave Shabazz the role to go win the big games for him. Brilliant!

Reaction Score

Hans hasn't been here in a while and he was under the impression there are no posters who still want Ollie back. You are one of the posters who has made it clear you want Ollie back, how does that make me a jerk? I don't mind being called a jerk but let's do it for valid reasons, this shouldn't make me a bigger jerk than you already thought I am.

Am I mischaracterizing your opinion? If you don't want him back, just say so.

Reaction Score
And he sure as hell was NOT out talented against Wagner and Northeastern. He had so much more talent in those games, they should have been a minimum of 20 point blowouts.

Eh, Northeastern went to East Lansing a couple weeks later and handled Michigan State so those two games aren't the be all and end all people make them out to be.

I am in the camp that firmly believes that 2014 should have been a springboard for a sustained run of greatness for UConn basketball. I am also firmly in the camp that believes that there has to be a new coach on the sidelines when the 2018-19 season tips. The gap between where we were (and where Ollie seemed to be) in 2014 and where we (and Ollie) are today is as inexplicable a phenomenon as I've seen in sports. I don't believe that Ollie is the basketball ignoramus some people on here seem to think he is but I do believe he seems like a fundamentally different person these days. It bums me out to look at him, honestly.

I have a hard time believing that the guy whose entire professional life up until now was defined by tenacity and hard work and never giving up would simply rest on his laurels (for the first time in his life) at 40-something years old after winning the national championship, but something's changed. The vibe around the program seems toxic. And I don't know why anyone would think another year would make a difference. If it was simply a matter of losing to teams with more talent that's one thing. This is not that. He's gotta go.

Reaction Score
I have a hard time believing that the guy whose entire professional life up until now was defined by tenacity and hard work and never giving up would simply rest on his laurels (for the first time in his life) at 40-something years old after winning the national championship, but something's changed. The vibe around the program seems toxic. And I don't know why anyone would think another year would make a difference. If it was simply a matter of losing to teams with more talent that's one thing. This is not that. He's gotta go.

I'm not sure if it's a guy who's resting on his laurels, or just depressed at the realization that he has no idea wtf he's doing and is totally in over his head. The people who are least motivated at work usually aren't the guys who are killing it, but the ones who realize that they're completely unsuited for their position.

KO's job in 2013-14 was to coach JC's tough-minded recruits. He succeeded at that.

When the job became managing his own program, attracting his own recruits, and developing them into winning players, he failed.

Regardless, the conclusion is the same.

Reaction Score
I'm ( or at least was) an Ollie guy, but the bar to judge that statement by has been lowered incrementally pretty much every game this season . To the point that the Ridiculous toss around of a name like Tom Crean can seem like an upgrade as it stands on 2/16. ( But please don't hire Tom Crean just using that dope as an example!)
Somewhere an angel just lost his wings August with that loss of hope.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Anyone watching the URI- St Bony game? Whatcha guys think if so?
It’s an example of why college basketball can be great to watch. Doesn’t look a thing like our games.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
To be fair, he was far from the first. Freescooter and deadrody were there from the start.

free was a 'the game has passed JC by' guy so ymmv there

Reaction Score
I'm not sure if it's a guy who's resting on his laurels, or just depressed at the realization that he has no idea wtf he's doing and is totally in over his head. The people who are least motivated at work usually aren't the guys who are killing it, but the ones who realize that they're completely unsuited for their position.

KO's job in 2013-14 was to coach JC's tough-minded recruits. He succeeded at that.

When the job became managing his own program, attracting his own recruits, and developing them into winning players, he failed.

Regardless, the conclusion is the same.

Candidly, I think you and freescooter, in particular, embody the broken clock phenomenon on this score. But yeah, I think we disagree in that you think the fact that Ollie was completely over his head was masked by "Calhoun's tough-minded recruits" while I think that's an overly simplistic conclusion that elides a lot of what Ollie was able to do. To me, it's hard not to conclude based on everything we've seen from Ollie since he was hired until now that something is fundamentally different about the broken down dude we see slumped in his seat on the sidelines. Who knows, either way it's a shame.

Fortunately, this is basketball, not football, and it doesn't take a hell of a long time to turn this thing around.

Reaction Score
Candidly, I think you and freescooter, in particular, embody the broken clock phenomenon on this score. But yeah, I think we disagree in that you think the fact that Ollie was completely over his head was masked by "Calhoun's tough-minded recruits" while I think that's an overly simplistic conclusion that elides a lot of what Ollie was able to do. To me, it's hard not to conclude based on everything we've seen from Ollie since he was hired until now that something is fundamentally different about the broken down dude we see slumped in his seat on the sidelines. Who knows, either way it's a shame.

Fortunately, this is basketball, not football, and it doesn't take a hell of a long time to turn this thing around.

Ollie never had what it takes to be a head coach. He was able to COAST his way to a title thanks to Calhoun's players and coaching staff which a lot of people forget. People here thought Killings was going to be some great coach and a great coaching hire by Ollie because they thought Glenn Miller was the problem.

PS: I was right about Ollie and first to sound the alarm bells before people were saying how great of a recruiter he was.

Reaction Score
Ollie never had what it takes to be a head coach. He was able to COAST his way to a title thanks to Calhoun's players and coaching staff which a lot of people forget. People here thought Killings was going to be some great coach and a great coaching hire by Ollie because they thought Glenn Miller was the problem.

PS: I was right about Ollie and first to sound the alarm bells before people were saying how great of a recruiter he was.
Coast his way yeah right. Ollie helped recruit those very same players.

PS: I am right about Ollie help recruiting those players.

Also, if it was also so easy to coast with Calhouns players, why didn't Calhoun win more than 3 times. Seems pretty easy.

Reaction Score
Divorce

I’m blaming Stephanie. And the few that really know me on the BY won’t find this surprising. Kevin Ollie seems less confident and less able. His Mojo is all wrong.

Therefore, I think the argument that he deserves no credit for 2014 is silly. And while I understand economics, I’m hoping Kevin Ollie truly shows his love of our UConn; and provides a mutually respectful way to move on.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Therefore, I think the argument that he deserves no credit for 2014 is silly. And while I understand economics, I’m hoping Kevin Ollie truly shows his love of our UConn; and provides a mutually respectful way to move on.

It's a silly argument. It always has been. It always will be.

NEWSFLASH: you need great, tough players to win championships. You win championships because of these guys. Of course they have more to do with it.

Take Kemba away from JC. Replace with a good player. Do they win it? No.

Reaction Score
KO was great in the 2014 tournament. We can't act like the 2014 roster was on par with say 2004; he didn't inherit a program with a half-dozen future NBA guys and coast on talent alone. One player from the 2014 roster has played a single minute in the NBA and that's Bazz with his career averages of 5 pts and 2 asts. The team had no business winning a national championship but KO got it done.

I have no idea what happened between then and now but he's a shell of the coach he was in March/April 2014.

C

Chief00

Divorce

I’m blaming Stephanie. And the few that really know me on the BY won’t find this surprising. Kevin Ollie seems less confident and less able. His Mojo is all wrong.

Truthfully, I wouldn’t blame Stephanie. The NBA road got too close to home. Otherwise I agree with your post.

Reaction Score
Wow, I felt just a bit of Diaco anger when I looked at this picture. Not good.
I have to admit lately the same feeling has arisen. The $3MM a year KO game plan "we just got to play better"... I can save them 2.5MM and do the same.

Reaction Score
Do you really think trump can shoot someone on Park ave? What about 5th? I read crap like this and shake my head. I'm not a Trump guy, buy the hyperbole is just ridiculous.
As someone else pointed out I was only quoting the Pres himself :cool:...........the point was the Pres has a lot of leeway with his base because they are :mad:, much like KO has a lot of leeway with his base because of his :confused: contract.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think the answer is clear. Calhoun comes back to work for free.. not a dime.

Either that or Geno slides over and makes the same money and his assistant takes over the Woman's program.

Reaction Score
They thought Jamie Dixon was slipping at Pitt, and put out the word for a rebuild... remind me what happened next? Oh right...

What happened to Pitt basketball?

Is that what we want? Who wants to rebuild at UConn when the previous coach won a national championship and was known for his resiliency as an NBA player and alumnus? Do we have the money to bring in a truly proven coach?

None of you recognize how ready you are to roll the dice...

Reaction Score
They thought Jamie Dixon was slipping at Pitt, and put out the word for a rebuild... remind me what happened next? Oh right...

What happened to Pitt basketball?

Is that what we want? Who wants to rebuild at UConn when the previous coach won a national championship and was known for his resiliency as an NBA player and alumnus? Do we have the money to bring in a truly proven coach?

None of you recognize how ready you are to roll the dice...
Are the results of having KO run this program over the last 4 seasons satisfactory?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom