We need a new coach | Page 5 | The Boneyard

We need a new coach

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Man as a KO supporter I am really questioning the direction of the program of late under his leadership. I have been on here (The Yard) questioning the level of our recruits desire to improve. And after watching our effort against Tulsa it is clear that we do not have the talent to compete on a nightly go round. We have a bunch of Clydesdales out there thinking that they are Thoroughbreds.

If we do get coach back next year, it has to be with some serious guidelines and expectations. Recruiting, granted we are not getting 5 star players, has to improve. We have to find players that can play on both ends of the floor and have a solid basketball IQ. The point guards, which are usually your coaches on the floor, do not make good decisions on shooting or passing. These guys are the foundation of your basketball program. If we do not have decent point guards we are screwed. Like you guys have stated, skill development has been horrible. Our post players are not improving. The perimeter players are not improving. Some of this falls on the players and some of this is on the coaches. Hopefully over these next few games we see some kind of improvement. Even a little progression in decision making by the point guards would be a welcome moment.

What were you watching? Our guys played about 10-12 minutes of good offense and mediocre defense. That was enough for a double digit lead. Then KO made a bunch of ill advised substitutions and they cut the lead. Tulsa adjusted at half, and UConn reverted to its prior hero ball, let's not start the offense until there is 10 on the clock approach. From there the result was all but pre-ordained. But the more talented team, by miles, was wearing UConn uniforms. The better coached team won anyway.

Reaction Score
gross.

And technically thats not a "club" ... Clubs need to be Triple decker (3 slices of bread with the meat/cheese below the middle slice and the BLT above the middle slice) on some kind of toasted bread, cut into 4 triangles and have a toothpicks stuck in each wedge.

I dont like people taking liberties and calling anything with BLT/Mayo a club. That pic above is a Turkey on a Roll.

I do like Club sandwiches though.

I had a cheeseburger club from Pizza Pub in Essex on the way to the game last night. (had to crab something quick and car friendly as I went straight from work to XL).

Cheeseburger club > Turkey Club

this is a proper Club
Club-Sandwich.jpg
Husky Pizza's cheeseburger club was always a go-to for me at school.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Thanks for proving my point. Not only is your beloved Arby's prostituting the foul fowl, but it is blatantly lying calling it a club.

So I ask again, which makes you sadder: the Arby's Grand Turkey "Club" or joining the fire Ollie club?

My eyes never even make it to that portion of the menu. But it does make me sad that they have to offer that up. I have to think they are pandering to the "casual Arbys fan"
Arbys doesnt need to Pander.

Just keep slamming out the Pork Belly Brisket Roast Beef and Nashville Hot Fish sandwiches.

Reaction Score
Really can't argue with any of that.
Except "MAYBE" off court avoidance of NCAA. What, when and who remains to be seen. I will reserve judgement. IF(and this is speculation)the administration created this situation to avoid a buyout, that would be the tipping point for me as a fan.
The other issues you have raised all have merit.
Having said that, I would give him one more year.

Reaction Score
I had the same reaction. There’s not a single current player or recruit other than Carlton maybe that I fear losing. For continuity purposes I’d like to see Vital, Jalen, Whaley back but if a new coach had to start fresh it really wouldn’t be any worse than right now.
I want Carleton, Whaley, Polley, Diarra, Williams, Adams, Vital, and a healthy Gilbert back... with a new coach.

Reaction Score
Stopped wasting my time. Check the box score the next day and then the BY for the details. I refuse to subject myself to that anymore. How could Larrier who is 6-8 get ONE rebound in 28 mins.?

Because with 8 seconds left, he missed his box out on a foul shot and subsequently fouled the other player ... for two

Reaction Score
Oh praise Jesus, August West has NO REBUTTAL. Still managed to scrape out 17 words while saying nothing and allegedly no rebuttal though, quite telling and can't wait for his schtick to return when the next non-Fishy person makes an identical post to this one.
That's classic #ADubProtocol/UConnAthletics

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
There’s no longer any argument against firing Kevin Ollie - at least not one that makes any sense.

We’re legitimately a bottom-third team in the American. There’s no excuse for that. People want to go to the Big East? As presently constituted, there isn’t a team in that conference we’d be favored to beat. If we were lucky, we’d steal wins at home against DePaul and maybe St. John’s.

The program is a farrago of misery and it’s all a direct result of the head coach’s incompetence or neglect or a combination of the two...

Recruiting - bad.
Player development - bad.
On court success - bad.
Off court avoidance of the NCAA - bad.
Public perception - bad.

A Tulsa writer punked the program today and people got their undies in a knot over it - if anything, the guy pulled his punches. Tulsa is something like 5-2 against us. Frank Haith is not a good head coach, but he’ll beat Kevin Ollie with Tulsa’s players and if you switched teams, he’ll beat Kevin Ollie again with UConn’s players.

He’s just a bad head coach and he’s a bad program manager - if it weren’t for the poison pill of a contract we have with him, there’d be no question Ollie would be fired at the end of the season. None.

Even so, he’s gotta go.
Wow Fish, do you really mean farrago of misery! That's some good stuff

Reaction Score
My eyes never even make it to that portion of the menu. But it does make me sad that they have to offer that up. I have to think they are pandering to the "casual Arbys fan"
Arbys doesnt need to Pander.

Just keep slamming out the Pork Belly Brisket Roast Beef and Nashville Hot Fish sandwiches.

Mmmm. A Nashville Hot Fish sandwich from Arby's. No diarrhea that night. Never.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Mmmm. A Nashville Hot Fish sandwich from Arby's. No diarrhea that night. Never.

I had one a few weeks ago.

It was real good.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I want a new coach,
one that won't make me sick
One that won't make me crash my car
Or make me hit myself, with real big stick
Really?
You feel that way?
Surprise Surprise
The stick thing - we should all try it we might like it

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I still can't understand how Ollie can "out-coach" Izzo, Wright and Donovan et. al. then lose to Frank Haith like that. The only answer I can come up with is that Ollie didn't out-coach crap. They won for other reasons and Ollie just didn't mess it up.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Really hope that Danny Hurley would like to coach us even though the American isnt a “P5” I think he can turn things around relatively quickly
Another Danny Hurley fan
Lets see what he does in the dance and his OOC success is not all that good
I am far from sold on him- he may be a good choice but he hasn't played with the big boys yet but he might be the biggest name to even look at the position

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I still can't understand how Ollie can "out-coach" Izzo, Wright and Donovan et. al. then lose to Frank Haith like that. The only answer I can come up with is that Ollie didn't out-coach crap. They won for other reasons and Ollie just didn't mess it up.
TALENT - lack thereof
He is not being outcoached he is being out talented and facing bigger and stronger teams on the court - that is a recruitment deficiency not a game coaching issue
You can't bring boys to face men - like the bully ads on the back pages of the 1960s comic books

Reaction Score
He'll always be given credit for the first 2 years and he does seem like he's kind of a different person since that time but it looks more and more like he just didn't get in the way. Shabazz is even more badarse than many of us previously thought.

Reaction Score
TALENT - lack thereof
He is not being outcoached he is being out talented and facing bigger and stronger teams on the court - that is a recruitment deficiency not a game coaching issue
You can't bring boys to face men - like the bully ads on the back pages of the 1960s comic books
@Hans Sprungfeld

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
These are not just games, they are 2 1/2 hours of our time that we can't recoup. Its not entertainment or educational, its one bad movie after another that we continue to watch with no benefit or enjoyment.

Its not so bad if you are young but for us older folks its basically precious 'time wasted'.
Time wasted? Hardly.
In addition to bad basketball, I got to check out the chat room, commiserate on BY, hang out with the two oldest grandkids and their beloved NeNe, eat too much ice cream & Lindt truffles, cuddle with a dog, avoid watching HGTV, and get to bed early on a super comfortable king size mattress, while supporting a terrific couple's romantic getaway long weekend to ski with cherished out of town friends and celebrate their anniversary.
When I was younger, the bad basketball would have bothered me so much more.

Reaction Score
I had the same reaction. There’s not a single current player or recruit other than Carlton maybe that I fear losing. For continuity purposes I’d like to see Vital, Jalen, Whaley back but if a new coach had to start fresh it really wouldn’t be any worse than right now.
You're wrong, won't be Carlton, and won't be Adams either.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom