We need a new coach | Page 3 | The Boneyard

We need a new coach

Reaction Score
No - that sort of thing is reserved for some sort of malfeasance.

I don’t want him humiliated, I just want the program to move on from something that clearly is not working.

Ahh you hit the nail on the head but not directly ;). I would be willing to bet a fair amount as a non gambler, that Suzie and Dave are praying the feds come up with some sort of malfeasance however so slight. Thus they have to let KO go with apologies and NO buy out as it is just cause. This in turn saves JC from the same sort of humiliation. He shoved KO up Whard's back side but he is not responsible for him making a mistake that would get him fired.

I have given KO a lot of slack knowing how much the CR has changed the level of recruiting. Having said that what I witnessed tonight live had me shaking my head. I have to believe I can't remember any UConn team that played so soft and I am going back five decades. I find it hard to believe KO played for JC! They did get more rebounds tonight but many of them were the "oh there's the ball" type. NOBODY crashes the boards, everyone is afraid to shoot, pumping the ball at the basket one time giving the defender the time to close the gap. Getting the ball under the basket with space and putting it on the floor before going up? That is 7th grade level silly. DEFENSE ...a guard dropped a career high 30 on them. I'll stop, everyone here see's it.

There are some talented guys on this team but JC would have been yanking them out like shaking ripe apples off a tree. KO let's them play on and when they come out they get a chest pat or hand shake. He has nothing for the officials but then again when you look as bad as he has why let them help expose it. On one Tulsa position they had a VERY obvious moving screen followed by a double dribble....nothing. JC would have been at mid court close to or getting T'd up....
I don't want him humiliated either but it has gotten to the point and beyond of embarrassment for all. I now hope Suzie and Dave get the financial edge they need as everyone knows KO's contract has them and the school in a $$$$ corner...

Reaction Score
This is a post made out of desperation and coming out of left field. But you know what is said, desperate times call for desperate measures. I want to mention some under the radar guys, some of which are young, others who have remained solid for a while. At the very least, maybe one of the following can be convinced to come along with another bigger name to become assistant (unlikely I guess). I tried to remain under 50, but all guys are 54 or younger with a few under 40 even.

Other coaches not mentioned a lot, if at all.

1. Scott Nagy, 52
In his 23rd year!
Did a great job in D2, struggled, obviously on the move to D1 and as an independent but has done a good job with South Dakota State in the past few years. Why the heck not?

2. Porter Moser, 49
14 years of experience but with some gaps
Really only one good season, this current one, to speak of: 22–5 and 12-3 in conference
One average season at 24-13 and CBI champs

3. Leon Rice, 54
8 years experience
2 good seasons, 2 average seasons, 2 acceptable seasons

4. Nate Oats, 43
Just 3 years experience
Solid in his third year, decent by conference standards but nothing notable nationally the first two years.

5. Earl Grant, 41
Just 4 years experience, but each year is a marked improvement with an NIT appearance last year

6. Chris Jans, 48
2 years of experience at D1 but with a lot of gaps in his coaching career.
Currently in his first year with New Mexico St, 20-3.

7. Mark Pope, 45 (former Indiana Pacers player)
Just 3 years experience
Improvement each year so far, 17-8 this year

6. Pat Kelsey, 42
6 years of experience
Has slowly been getting better over the first 5 years though this year seems to be a bit of a drop off.

7. Joe Dooley, 52
9 years experience
Kept FGSU steady and respectable and in the post season first 3 years, been getting better since last year.

8. Travis DeCuire, 47
4 years experience
Improved a lot in year two, stumbled a bit in year 3 and having a career year this year.

9. John Brannen, 44
3 years experience
Awful first year, amazing improvement in the 2nd which seems to be continuing in the 3rd.

10. Matt McMahon, 39
Just 3 years experience
Already has 20 wins this season, first in conference

11. Wes Miller, 35
Currently in his 7th year already
Seems to be finally turning a corner and is still super young. A younger conference opponent of Forbes too.

12. Ron Hunter, 52
23 years experience.

People might scoff, but why not Tommy Amaker?
People have mentioned Tom Crean, but I am not against it. Same with Steve Forbes.
I imagine John Becker (Vermont) has already been mentioned.
Mark Schmidt does not have the profile, quite, that would impress Uconn IMO. Same with Nathan Davis.
Kermit Davis is pushing 60, otherwise I would mention him.
Randy Bennett is with St. Marys and I doubt at this juncture (55 y.o.) would leave them for Uconn.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
This is a post made out of desperation and coming out of left field. But you know what is said, desperate times call for desperate measures. I want to mention some under the radar guys, some of which are young, others who have remained solid for a while. At the very least, maybe one of the following can be convinced to come along with another bigger name to become assistant (unlikely I guess). I tried to remain under 50, but all guys are 54 or younger with a few under 40 even.

1. Scott Nagy, 52
In his 23rd year!
Did a great job in D2, struggled, obviously on the move to D1 and as an independent but has done a good job with South Dakota State in the past few years. Why the heck not?

2. Porter Moser, 49
Really only one good season, this current one, to speak of: 22–5 and 12-3 in conference

3. Leon Rice, 54
8 years experience

4. Nate Oats, 43
Just 3 years experience
Solid in his third year, decent by conference standards but nothing notable nationally the first two years.

5. Earl Grant, 41
Just 4 years experience, but each year is a marked improvement with an NIT appearance last year

6. Chris Jans, 48

Just 3 years experience

6. Pat Kelsey, 42
6 years of experience
Has slowly been getting better over the first 5 years though this year seems to be a bit of a drop off.

7. Joe Dooley, 52
9 years experience
Kept FGSU steady and respectable and in the post season first 3 years, been getting better since last year.

8. Travis DeCuire, 47
4 years experience
Improved a lot in year two, stumbled a bit in year 3 and having a career year this year.

9. John Brannen, 44
3 years experience
Awful first year, amazing improvement in the 2nd which seems to be continuing in the 3rd.

10. Matt McMahon, 39
Just 3 years experience

11. Wes Miller, 35
Seems to be finally turning a corner and is still super young. A younger conference opponent of Forbes too.

12. Ron Hunter, 52
23 years experience.

People have mentioned Tom Crean, but I am not against it. Same with Steve Forbes.
Mark Schmidt does not have the profile, quite, that would impress Uconn IMO. Same with Nathan Davis.
Randy Bennett is with St. Marys and I doubt at this juncture (55 y.o.) would leave them for Uconn.

That's a lot of coaches who have never recruited New England/the Northeast.

Aside from that...obviously, Ollie has to go, but to think that at least someone out there would want Ron Hunter coaching UConn or would entertain poaching Utah Valley/Northern Kentucky/Montana's coach...I have no more words.

Reaction Score
That's a lot of coaches who have never recruited New England/the Northeast.
Of course, but as I said, desperate times. I am open to anything at this point. My dream pick up is still Mr. DH but trying to be realistic and realizing we are more likely to get a coach closer to those dozen or so than one closer to DH as far as prestige, though one can dream. Not really sure which of those 12 has the most experience on the east coast, tbh.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Of course, but as I said, desperate times. I am open to anything at this point. My dream pick up is still Mr. DH but trying to be realistic and realizing we are more likely to get a coach closer to those dozen or so than one closer to DH as far as prestige, though one can dream. Not really sure which of those 12 has the most experience on the east coast, tbh.

Well, a hire from that list means we're boned. Royally.

Say a permanent goodbye to what JC built.

Reaction Score
I recognize KO negotiating the buyout down is a fantasy of most current fans and would greatly improve the situation going forward, but I caution against marrying oneself to that possibility just because it would feel good.
Negotiated buyouts aren't nearly as rare as you believe.

Arkansas fires coach Pelphrey after 4 seasons

Florida agrees to pay $7.5 million buyout to ex-coach Jim McElwain – The Denver Post

UK settles with Gillispie for $2.98 million

Report: LSU splits with Matt Canada after negotiating down his buyout

Source: Bielema to receive $11.8 million buyout

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score

1. Scott Nagy, 52
In his 23rd year!

2. Porter Moser, 49

3. Leon Rice, 54
8 years experience

4. Nate Oats, 43
Just 3 years experience

5. Earl Grant, 41

6. Chris Jans, 48

Just 3 years experience

6. Pat Kelsey, 42
6 years of experience

7. Joe Dooley, 52
9 years experience

8. Travis DeCuire, 47
4 years experience

9. John Brannen, 44
3 years experience

10. Matt McMahon, 39
Just 3 years experience

11. Wes Miller, 35

12. Ron Hunter, 52
23 years experience.

Chris Jans is a heck of a coach, but you might want to look into why he has those gaps on his resume.

Reaction Score
Hurley is very realistic. From what I've heard they know the urgency and aren't going the penny pinching route like with bringing back Randy and they aren't going to go with some young unproven guy. Hurley is their # 1 and they know there is interest through back-channels. Basketball is UConn's baby and it's gotten to the point where this hire is it for the program.

Reaction Score
Fire him for cause related to the NCAA investigation and keep him
in court for years chasing his money ... or he can settle and go away for a reasonable payout. We owe KO nothing. He was paid millions, given an elite national basketball power and squandered away something that took decades to build with blood, sweat tears, grit and heroics. Screw him.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score

Yeah, it'd be nice if you weren't using SEC football, where booster money is a variable we can't even consider, as a baseline.

The Gillespie firing involved a protracted legal process which I'm not sure our current administration is competent enough to engage in. Plus his off-court issues didn't manifest publicly until after the firing. Benedict knows his career is toast if it comes out in a courtroom that he knew about KO's off-court issues for nearly two years and didn't take action. And looking at how far down Gillespie's buyout was negotiated (essentially halved), $5MM vs. $10MM doesn't buy Benedict a ton of room when it comes to setting aside the next HC's salary. And knowing what we now know about Benedict being the sole driver behind the November 2016 extension, he's going to have a much tougher time kissing the ring than he did when it came to collecting Diaco's buyout.

So you're left wih John Pelphrey being paid a negotiated buyout according to sources. Granted Jeff Long doesn't seem like too smart of a guy, but I still don't trust Benedict anywhere near as much anymore.

Reaction Score
Man as a KO supporter I am really questioning the direction of the program of late under his leadership. I have been on here (The Yard) questioning the level of our recruits desire to improve. And after watching our effort against Tulsa it is clear that we do not have the talent to compete on a nightly go round. We have a bunch of Clydesdales out there thinking that they are Thoroughbreds.

If we do get coach back next year, it has to be with some serious guidelines and expectations. Recruiting, granted we are not getting 5 star players, has to improve. We have to find players that can play on both ends of the floor and have a solid basketball IQ. The point guards, which are usually your coaches on the floor, do not make good decisions on shooting or passing. These guys are the foundation of your basketball program. If we do not have decent point guards we are screwed. Like you guys have stated, skill development has been horrible. Our post players are not improving. The perimeter players are not improving. Some of this falls on the players and some of this is on the coaches. Hopefully over these next few games we see some kind of improvement. Even a little progression in decision making by the point guards would be a welcome moment.

Reaction Score
Wow, just let that sink in for a minute. A program that that won 4 NCAA Championships in 15 years was run into the ground so badly that in your dreams the Rhode Island coach would come here. I want Hurley as well, but I never imagined we’d see our program take such a hit that we’d be dreaming of getting URI’s coach and elated if it happens.

Reaction Score
Yeah, it'd be nice if you weren't using SEC football, where booster money is a variable we can't even consider, as a baseline.

The Gillespie firing involved a protracted legal process which I'm not sure our current administration is competent enough to engage in. Plus his off-court issues didn't manifest publicly until after the firing. Benedict knows his career is toast if it comes out in a courtroom that he knew about KO's off-court issues for nearly two years and didn't take action. And looking at how far down Gillespie's buyout was negotiated (essentially halved), $5MM vs. $10MM doesn't buy Benedict a ton of room when it comes to setting aside the next HC's salary. And knowing what we now know about Benedict being the sole driver behind the November 2016 extension, he's going to have a much tougher time kissing the ring than he did when it came to collecting Diaco's buyout.

So you're left wih John Pelphrey being paid a negotiated buyout according to sources. Granted Jeff Long doesn't seem like too smart of a guy, but I still don't trust Benedict anywhere near as much anymore.
Kim Anderson, Travis Ford, Johnny Dawkins. Take your pick, I don't care. The point is it isn't unheard of to negotiate a buyout. Does it happen with regularity? No. But it's much more realistic than "forcing" KO to restructure his current deal for pennies on the dollar plus incentives, which was actually tossed out as a serious idea by someone.

Reaction Score
There's no doubt that the time has come for the program to move in another direction. The question has always been whether it's financially viable to do so before the end of next season. If the read I'm getting is that eating the buyout is the lesser of two evils, then I'll take your word. We'll have to wait and see what happens.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Wow, just let that sink in for a minute. A program that that won 4 NCAA Championships in 15 years was run into the ground so badly that in your dreams the Rhode Island coach would come here. I want Hurley as well, but I never imagined we’d see our program take such a hit that we’d be dreaming of getting URI’s coach and elated if it happens.

Suck it up, snowflake, and welcome to reality.

Reaction Score
There's nothing wrong with hoping for URI's head coach. Many of the best coaches start somewhere.

Did you know Bill Belichick applied for the UConn football head coach job? We chose the wrong damn man.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I've got no rebuttal.
Mark the date. It's a first.
I've got no rebuttal. You are right.
Oh praise Jesus, August West has NO REBUTTAL. Still managed to scrape out 17 words while saying nothing and allegedly no rebuttal though, quite telling and can't wait for his schtick to return when the next non-Fishy person makes an identical post to this one.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
Really hope that Danny Hurley would like to coach us even though the American isnt a “P5” I think he can turn things around relatively quickly

I'm curious.. optimistically speaking, how quickly do we think a new coach can turn things around? I'm talking about 25+ wins, a solid top 25 ranking in February and March and a top 5 seed in the tournament. 2021? If we hired someone this off-season, that'd be their third year coaching, and two seasons of recruits (meaning they'd be sophomores). Probably not until they're juniors? 4 years? Or if the transfer rules change, maybe we can get upperclass talent to supplement the younger kids?

This presumes we do not get hit hard by the NCAA. That could extend the timeline by at least a year, maybe two depending on the punishment.

Reaction Score
There’s no longer any argument against firing Kevin Ollie - at least not one that makes any sense.

We’re legitimately a bottom-third team in the American. There’s no excuse for that. People want to go to the Big East? As presently constituted, there isn’t a team in that conference we’d be favored to beat. If we were lucky, we’d steal wins at home against DePaul and maybe St. John’s.

The program is a farrago of misery and it’s all a direct result of the head coach’s incompetence or neglect or a combination of the two...

Recruiting - bad.
Player development - bad.
On court success - bad.
Off court avoidance of the NCAA - bad.
Public perception - bad.

A Tulsa writer punked the program today and people got their undies in a knot over it - if anything, the guy pulled his punches. Tulsa is something like 5-2 against us. Frank Haith is not a good head coach, but he’ll beat Kevin Ollie with Tulsa’s players and if you switched teams, he’ll beat Kevin Ollie again with UConn’s players.

He’s just a bad head coach and he’s a bad program manager - if it weren’t for the poison pill of a contract we have with him, there’d be no question Ollie would be fired at the end of the season. None.

Even so, he’s gotta go.
If he was our football coach, and even had a NC 4 years ago under his belt, and UConn had four NC's in football over the past twenty years, and had allowed a great program to disintegrate like it has, poison pill be damned, he would have been fired early last year after the losses to a Wagner and a Coppin State. That being said, I still think he's gone at the end of the season, he'll either resign over the Sidney Wilson thing or he's fired outright. If he isn't, expect at least one high profile transfer out of the program.

Reaction Score
I'm curious.. optimistically speaking, how quickly do we think a new coach can turn things around? I'm talking about 25+ wins, a solid top 25 ranking in February and March and a top 5 seed in the tournament. 2021? If we hired someone this off-season, that'd be their third year coaching, and two seasons of recruits (meaning they'd be sophomores). Probably not until they're juniors? 4 years? Or if the transfer rules change, maybe we can get upperclass talent to supplement the younger kids?

This presumes we do not get hit hard by the NCAA. That could extend the timeline by at least a year, maybe two depending on the punishment.
Theres no other answer other than well see. It all depends on who leaves after KO does (assuming he does.) Id like to say that wed be back at 25 wins in two seasons but its just so hard to judge.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
920x920.jpg

Reaction Score
Seems to me he also has empty seats next to him coaching. How could they not bring it to the coach's attention he doesn't have a rebounder out there the last foul shots?

If there here for recruiting who have they got that's a difference maker?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom