We need a new coach | Page 2 | The Boneyard

We need a new coach

Reaction Score
And Fishy didn't even watch the game tonight. Fishy, I dare you to watch it.

Reaction Score
He is staying next year. Oh well lol.

A few people on the FB Board were pretty adamant, even patronizing about Diaco getting another year. I thought then that the odds were slightly on their side but that the cost of doing nothing was rising every day. The odds of a change are a little less here but not prohibitive. The cost of another poor season, even more empty seats, and delaying the rehab have to be weighed. They keep rising over time..

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
1. If he goes I'd hate to lose some of the guys we have and the recruits we have coming in. Yes, I'm selfish like that but there's no guarantee the next guy could bring in better kids and rebuilds guarantee nothing.
2. If changes are made I'll be more disappointed about Chillious not having the adequate time to fully recruit under normal circumstances. Total
Waste.
3. I'm a fan of UConn MBB regardless of what happens. Hopefully things work
Out.

Reaction Score
1. If he goes I'd hate to lose some of the guys we have and the recruits we have coming in. Yes, I'm selfish like that but there's no guarantee the next guy could bring in better kids and rebuilds guarantee nothing.
2. If changes are made I'll be more disappointed about Chillious not having the adequate time to fully recruit under normal circumstances. Total
Waste.
3. I'm a fan of UConn MBB regardless of what happens. Hopefully things work
Out.

Losing guys we have? We cant beat Tulsa with the guys we have.

Reaction Score
You're wrong......zero chance we beat St.John's.....I agree with the rest.

Unfortunately like Trump can shoot someone on Park Ave & not lose votes....KO can lose games by 20+ points on a regular basis, have zero wins against top 50 teams over multiple years, lose to bad teams at home & play bottom feeders of the entire NCAA to basically draws and still keep his job.

KO should negotiate his way out at season's end and maybe save a shred of dignity for himself & UConn..... anyone who thinks we will not keep getting worse with him at the helm is delusional, Akinjo & Wilson are not saving UConn next year.

Aren't political comments prohibited on this site?

C

Chief00

There’s no longer any argument against firing Kevin Ollie - at least not one that makes any sense.

We’re legitimately a bottom-third team in the American. There’s no excuse for that. People want to go to the Big East? As presently constituted, there isn’t a team in that conference we’d be favored to beat. If we were lucky, we’d steal wins at home against Depaul and maybe St. John’s.

The program is a farrago of misery and it’s all a direct result of the head coach’s incompetence or neglect or a combination of the two...

Recruiting - bad.
Player development - bad.
On court success - bad.
Off court avoidance of the NCAA - bad.
Public perception - bad.

A Tulsa writer punked the program today and people got their undies in a knot over it - if anything, the guy pulled his punches. Tulsa is something like 5-2 against us. Frank Haith is not a good head coach, but he’ll beat Kevin Ollie with Tulsa’s players and if you switched teams, he’d beat Kevin Ollie again with UConn’s players.

He’s just a bad head coach and he’s a bad program manager - if it weren’t for the poison pill of a contract we have with him, there’d be no question Ollie would be fired at the end of the season. None.

Even so, he’s gotta go.

Sadly, I agree. I hope it’s done in a thoughtful way to save the Blaze recruits. Timing is everything and KO is on the wrong side of history. I wish he brought Chill in a couple years earlier.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Had tickets for tonight's game and decided not to go. Looking back I did the right thing and I feel bad for those fans who showed up tonight. I haven't felt bad about UConn since BD last game as a coach.

I am an Ollie fan, but he needs to go at season's end.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Honestly, you deserve better than this. You should be pissed.

I'm not pissed . I'm sad. As much as we are all fans and think we all know what’s best for a team you should never truly believe that you yourself could’ve done a better job with a roster than a guy who won you a NC less than 4 years ago.

I truly believe I could’ve bench coached that team better tonight.

That’s sad. Really sad. I’m a fat musician. Not a basketball alum.

Reaction Score
Sounds just as feasible as KO willingly negotiating the buyout downward.
Why is that so infeasible?

1. Every game he coaches, he loses value as an assistant in the NBA because he gets more and more coated in his own stink.
2. UConn could use both his failures in compliance as well as his issues off the court as cause and either will cause Ollie's value as an assistant to plummet.
3. There is a growing hatred of the man and that can't be pleasant.
4. He has a ton of money and looks miserable. A change could do him wonders.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
And whoever negotiated for the state to be tarred and feathered, then dragged through Hartford after the women’s NC parade.

That would be AD Dave Benedict. He clearly got snookered by Ollie's agent.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The question to the few who are still concerned things could get worse if Ollie is fired. How could it get any worse?? We lose by 20 plus to any quality opponent, and to teams like Temple that aren’t even that good. We lose at UCF, get swept by Tulsa and are in the bottom 3rd of the lowly AAC. We’re 12-14 with two of the 12 being overtime home wins against Monmouth and Columbia. National media considers us to be so bad that we’re completely irrelevant now. It cannot get any worse than it is now. We need a change yesterday.

Reaction Score
Having Larrier as a rebounder on thE last foul shots was coaching malpractice. You put your best 2 rebounders in and just get the ball to your guards for a last second shot. The two rebounders have no chance to be an weapon on offense No need for Larrier to be on the court.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Ollie's under contract until 2021? Short of some sort of smoking gun from the NCAA that would vacate his buyout, we are S.O.L. correct? Total bummer because pretty much everyone has nailed it on the head - he does literally nothing well and is sinking the program fast.

C

Chief00

And whoever negotiated for the state to be tarred and feathered, then dragged through Hartford after the women’s NC parade.

Maybe it’s that 84 year old guy who was making $200,000 while he was dead for over 6 months.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Why is that so infeasible?

1. Every game he coaches, he loses value as an assistant in the NBA because he gets more and more coated in his own stink.
2. UConn could use both his failures in compliance as well as his issues off the court as cause and either will cause Ollie's value as an assistant to plummet.
3. There is a growing hatred of the man and that can't be pleasant.
4. He has a ton of money and looks miserable. A change could do him wonders.

1. His NBA assistant value isn't tied to his current performance. If a guy like Larry Shyatt can win absolutely zilch at Wyoming and move directly to an NBA bench, I don't think KO is being looked at with a ton of scrutiny.
2. UConn is not at all coming clean about off the court issues, because there is no way around AD Dave admitting that he knew about them and kept quiet until on-court performance went south. Given his sole responsibility in initiating the November 2016 extension, I don't think he wants to make any more moves that will hurt his future career prospects. The NCAA compliance is the one component I agree with you could bring the buyout down -- although I still think you need to answer for complaining that we didn't play dirty enough.
3. Who cares how many people hate you when you're making $3MM a year?
4. This may refute my first point, but it seems as if he's burned all his bridges in the collegiate game and may not be able to find a job quickly, hence hanging onto the current contract is all he has.

I recognize KO negotiating the buyout down is a fantasy of most current fans and would greatly improve the situation going forward, but I caution against marrying oneself to that possibility just because it would feel good.

C

Chief00

Having Larrier as a rebounder on thE last foul shots was coaching malpractice. You put your best 2 rebounders in and just get the ball to your guards for a last second shot. The two rebounders have no chance to be an weapon on offense No need for Larrier to be on the court.
That would mean he would have to play Williams.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score

I said "some of" and that clearly means not all of them but I get what your saying.
It probably won't happen but don't you think a new coach would want Carlton, Sid,Larrier, Jalen and Vital to stay along with the incoming recruits?

Reaction Score
Ollie's under contract until 2021? Short of some sort of smoking gun from the NCAA that would vacate his buyout, we are S.O.L. correct? Total bummer because pretty much everyone has nailed it on the head - he does literally nothing well and is sinking the program fast.
Benedict has been done with him for a while, trying to find a way to finance the buyout. Just hope it doesn't get ugly.

Reaction Score
The players failed to get the ball to the hot hand second half n unfortunately his name was Polley ... numerous times they failed to swing him the ball selfish team ... can’t wait til next year

g_smith

made my username before I noticed the UConn theme
Reaction Score
Really hope that Danny Hurley would like to coach us even though the American isnt a “P5” I think he can turn things around relatively quickly
He could have us winning this conference in the regular season like we thought we would be doing every year... And eventually that would ideally get us out of the conference.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom