Watching the girls team, ok? | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Watching the girls team, ok?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Unpopular take here, but thats why its hard to take this tournament very seriously. NC state got "rewarded" for its regular season success by having to beat the 2 seed on the road, and also punished for not drawing as well as Uconn. Either way, the result is tainted.
NCAA tried all neutral sites for awhile and attendance plummeted. I think the goals are different - women's fans are generally more team-specific and less hoops junkies than men's fans are. And, I believe the NCAA's goal continues to prioritize promoting the women's game, which means providing good TV via packed stands. I can't really blame them.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
This is a valid complaint. I don't quite understand how that happened, unless the primary goal was attendance.
My understanding is that it was somehow formula-based, even if it did add up to undeniably questionable optics. And it did require UConn to do everything it had it in order to steadily elevate itself while re-integrating all of the pieces to not just a 2 Seed, but the best of the 2 Seeds.

NOT NECESSARILY DIRECTED TO YOU:

This thread strongly suggests that most posting here did not watch the team throughout the entire season. There were pre-season transfers & injuries, an early season transfer, a second semester transfer, a COVID stoppage, at least one player illness, a concussion, and in-season injuries (most notably Bueckers who had serious surgery in mid-December) requiring healing and recovery.

The team had as few as 7 available scholarship players in some games, and used 11 different starting line-ups. At times, they looked decimated, pathetic, and/or completely overmatched, as though the season might completely unravel.

Something would improve, and then there'd be another gut-punch. It was tragic and comedic.

And then, players started returning one-by-one, somewhat akin to the Taking Heads tour that started with David Byrne & sn acoustic guitar, and built to a 9-piece funk band.

Carolyn Ducharme has not regained the form, shooting success, and confidence she displayed when 'forced' into heavier action than Geno would have otherwise chosen. She was the guts and glue during the most precarious time. I'm hopeful for a good prep week that results in her making a leap not unlike what Paige did last night in OT without still being 100% of last year.

The loss of Ducharme looms large, because she was the necessary additional big to address what has stalled this team with 3 consecutive losses in the Semi-final game. Mir McLean transfered to lowly Virginia for the second semester, and was the ACC's second-leading rebounder.

So much of this this has been like 'just-in-time' manufacturing that it wasn't really known if UConn would be an almost #1 by the time of the Elite 8.

And now, the anticipated pre-season drama regarding the Final Four challenge will put the team up against last year's champion and overall 1Seed, and one of two other 1 Seeds who have already defeated UConn this season.

It will require 3 consecutive wins in dark uniforms over #1 Seeds to win a National Championship.

Last year and this year are the only two seasons I've ever watched start-to-finish, just shy of every game. Very gripping and well worth my time.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think we also need to look at how often a #2 seed beats a #1…and consider that it is likely that the #1 that traveled to the #2 seeds were the weakest #2 seeds.

And for the comments above, Paige Bueckers and Azzi Fudd are better shooters than any player on the UConn men’s team, and probably in college basketball - regardless of ball size. men have physical advantages over women, not skill advantages.

I do wish that they’d switch though (as Geno wanted to), just so we’d stop hearing the excuse.

Reaction Score
NCAA tried all neutral sites for awhile and attendance plummeted. I think the goals are different - women's fans are generally more team-specific and less hoops junkies than men's fans are. And, I believe the NCAA's goal continues to prioritize promoting the women's game, which means providing good TV via packed stands. I can't really blame them.
That was for the first 2 rounds -- they had pre-determined sites, and sometimes the pre-determined sites didn't line up with the top seeds (or even teams that made the field), so you'd sometimes have games in, say Knoxville, TN without Tennessee, and nobody went.

For the regional sites they've always been predetermined, but they have tended to have regionals close to the perennial powers (UConn, Baylor, Stanford, South Carolina) which has sometimes resulted in those teams being a 2 seed placed close to home if they had a somewhat down year.

The sport isn't in a good enough place, attendance-wise, where they could afford to have #2 seed Baylor in Bridgeport and #2 seed UConn in Wichita and have a decent event.

Edit: for next year, they're actually going to have only 2 regional sites, essentially, 2 brackets per site. I think the hope is that will entice more predictable travel for fans while also allowing pairings that cut down on geographic advantage/disadvantage like that.

Reaction Score
It’s geography. For those top four seeds, geography is an imperative factor in bracket building. UConn got the two seed in their preferred geographic region. If anything, blame the NCAA for constantly putting the East Regional in Bridgeport or Albany. Is it an advantage? Of course. But it’s an inherent advantage that the bracket making principles allow for. Not an unfair one. Next time, tell NC State to be good enough to get the 1-seed in their preferred regional.

Reaction Score
This is a valid complaint. I don't quite understand how that happened, unless the primary goal was attendance.
Wilbon on PTI mentioned this last week. It is a valid criticism for the Women's tournament. But they want to sell tickets.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I was surprised how often it seems to happen too. I think they just send the 2 seeds to the closest region which really doesn't make sense

The women’s tournament loses money. This is the only way to generate revenue. If UConn had been sent to Wichita no one would have shown up

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Yeah, the advantage would be not having the asinine "this girl X, should go teach this guy y how to shoot" , nonsense that has been going on here for 20 plus years.

Smaller ball, same size hoop, ball more likely to go in, no? I mean that is simple physics.

Very enjoyable game last night. Can't it ever be on its own merits?
ISTR Geno explaining why the smaller ball made it tougher some years back. Of course he was full of sewerage, but it almost sounded like he believed what he was shoveling into the microphone.

Reaction Score
I think we also need to look at how often a #2 seed beats a #1…and consider that it is likely that the #1 that traveled to the #2 seeds were the weakest #2 seeds.

And for the comments above, Paige Bueckers and Azzi Fudd are better shooters than any player on the UConn men’s team, and probably in college basketball - regardless of ball size. men have physical advantages over women, not skill advantages.

I do wish that they’d switch though (as Geno wanted to), just so we’d stop hearing the excuse.
The men have enormous skill advantages over the women. It's never fair to compare the two, as Geno always says they're completely different sports.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Very few coaches foul in that situation. I know why but it still makes no sense to me.
In the case of the women's game, all a player who had no intention of shooting has to do is throw the ball in the general direction of the backboard before or after getting tagged by the D, and it's likely to be called a shooting foul by what passes for officials there.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
This thread strongly suggests that most posting here did not watch the team throughout the entire season.
I followed them throughout the season, attended the final game in Battle4Atlantis (thanks again @willie99 !) and watched most of the games in which Paige played. I will admit that watching her play has a lot to do with my interest in watching the team, but I did watch parts of a handful or so of the games when she was out and was generally aware of the dynamics and struggles you recapped, but I appreciate the recap for context.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
In the case of the women's game, all a player who had no intention of shooting has to do is throw the ball in the general direction of the backboard before or after getting tagged by the D, and it's likely to be called a shooting foul by what passes for officials there.
Reffing is bad for sure, but there are plenty enough of crap calls in the mens game to go around.

Reaction Score
One of the most enjoyable games to watch in a long time. It felt like NC State was the better team (but questionable choices by the coach at the end of regulation - just throw it down low to that center instead of running the clock for a 25ft three attempt) yet Paige and Azzi willed the team to victory...pretty spectacular duo.

Reaction Score
I don't watch much of the women's game, but I do like some of their rules better. Playing quarters to cut down on the time a team is in the bonus. Also being able to advance the ball with a time out.

Reaction Score
Yeah, the advantage would be not having the asinine "this girl X, should go teach this guy y how to shoot" , nonsense that has been going on here for 20 plus years.

Smaller ball, same size hoop, ball more likely to go in, no? I mean that is simple physics.

Physics? I'm thinking geometry, or maybe trigonometry?

Reaction Score

Is it physics or calculus...

Reaction Score
Is it physics or calculus...
As stated above, it's mostly trig.

The projected area of the ball (ball area / cos(theta)), where theta is the angle between the hoop axis and the ball trajectory, needs to be smaller than the hoop area.

The ball trajectory is dictated by physics, but for this problem where we're considering the impact of the ball size, we can treat that as fixed. It's just a math problem.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Who is this #10, Nika Muhl, she of obvious talents? Defensive POY and surely not offensive.

11 Doty units.

PS. UNC, Puke, Kansas, Nova. Really. TV guys must be stoked. Yuk.
D2D95116-70A8-4B51-A55C-3DF7DC953DCA.jpg

Reaction Score
It's actually the women's team
When they’re younger than you grandkids calling them the men’s and women’s team seems out of context. We haven’t accepted the fact our 50 year old children are adults. Heck we barely accept the fact we are. I and some older posters male and female constantly refer to the men or women as kids and the main reason we get defensive when they are unjustly attacked.Is our paternal or maternal instincts kick in.
It’s more a sign of *love than disrespect.
* The simplest definition of love is wanting what’s best for them or caring.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahmed69

Top Bottom