Watching the girls team, ok? | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Watching the girls team, ok?

Reaction Score
My understanding is that it was somehow formula-based, even if it did add up to undeniably questionable optics. And it did require UConn to do everything it had it in order to steadily elevate itself while re-integrating all of the pieces to not just a 2 Seed, but the best of the 2 Seeds.

NOT NECESSARILY DIRECTED TO YOU:

This thread strongly suggests that most posting here did not watch the team throughout the entire season. There were pre-season transfers & injuries, an early season transfer, a second semester transfer, a COVID stoppage, at least one player illness, a concussion, and in-season injuries (most notably Bueckers who had serious surgery in mid-December) requiring healing and recovery.

The team had as few as 7 available scholarship players in some games, and used 11 different starting line-ups. At times, they looked decimated, pathetic, and/or completely overmatched, as though the season might completely unravel.

Something would improve, and then there'd be another gut-punch. It was tragic and comedic.

And then, players started returning one-by-one, somewhat akin to the Taking Heads tour that started with David Byrne & sn acoustic guitar, and built to a 9-piece funk band.

Carolyn Ducharme has not regained the form, shooting success, and confidence she displayed when 'forced' into heavier action than Geno would have otherwise chosen. She was the guts and glue during the most precarious time. I'm hopeful for a good prep week that results in her making a leap not unlike what Paige did last night in OT without still being 100% of last year.

The loss of Ducharme looms large, because she was the necessary additional big to address what has stalled this team with 3 consecutive losses in the Semi-final game. Mir McLean transfered to lowly Virginia for the second semester, and was the ACC's second-leading rebounder.

So much of this this has been like 'just-in-time' manufacturing that it wasn't really known if UConn would be an almost #1 by the time of the Elite 8.

And now, the anticipated pre-season drama regarding the Final Four challenge will put the team up against last year's champion and overall 1Seed, and one of two other 1 Seeds who have already defeated UConn this season.

It will require 3 consecutive wins in dark uniforms over #1 Seeds to win a National Championship.

Last year and this year are the only two seasons I've ever watched start-to-finish, just shy of every game. Very gripping and well worth my time.
Didn't Fudd also miss 11 games? Nika Muhl also missed some time, and let's not forget about Aubrey Griffin who never saw the court after season ending back surgery. This has been an amazingly snakebitten team, and yet, here they are back in the Final 4. Win or lose this weekend, this team has demonstrated tremendous resolve. In their eyes, the goal is always to win a National Championship or it's a disappointing season. In my eyes, they're already winners just getting as far as they have under extremely bad circumstances.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Didn't Fudd also miss 11 games? Nika Muhl also missed some time, and let's not forget about Aubrey Griffin who never saw the court after season ending back surgery. This has been an amazingly snakebitten team, and yet, here they are back in the Final 4. Win or lose this weekend, this team has demonstrated tremendous resolve. In their eyes, the goal is always to win a National Championship or it's a disappointing season. In my eyes, they're already winners just getting as far as they have under extremely bad circumstances.
It may be his best coaching job yet.

Reaction Score
The men have enormous skill advantages over the women. It's never fair to compare the two, as Geno always says they're completely different sports.
I'd take Bueckers and Fudd in a 3-point shooting contest against any two of the men's players. But hey, that's just me.

Reaction Score
Kindly save the snark. It's unwarranted.
Of course it doesn't always work out, sports doesn't work that way. But the competitive imbalance created by so many home games in the women's tournament is undeniable, Uconn's run this year being just the latest example.
So, Uconn's run has everything to do with geography and nothing to do with their talent and heart? I say the results would have been the same on a neutral court..... and BTW, there aren't a lot of "neutral" courts for the UConn women. Their fans are everywhere and travel well. At many of their away games there were far more UConn fans in the stands than the home team. The only disadvantage was the actual travel.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Does anyone else hear Mike Francesa's voice every time they read the thread title?

Reaction Score
Impressive game.

Paige and Fudd were great in this game. Apart from the missed free throws, I think Nelson-Ododa did commendable job in the game. Had some pretty good passes and some timely buckets. With the injury to the other big, they had only had Edwards and herself as the other post player taking turns guarding their NC State's All American post player. Nelson-Ododa picked up her 4th foul with almost 9 minutes left in regulation and Coach left her in. I don't think they would have won this game if she had fouled out at any point in regulation or in either OT periods.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
The best was when Mike would basically call a game live on his radio show from watching it on TV, because he would just react to what was happening on the screen without telling his listeners what that was. Like when he just shouted "OH MY GAWD" when Jalen Adams hit that fullcourt shot to tie the game against Cincinnati and for 10 seconds nobody knew what was happening.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
The best was when Mike would basically call a game live on his radio show from watching it on TV, because he would just react to what was happening on the screen without telling his listeners what that was. Like when he just shouted "OH MY GAWD" when Jalen Adams hit that fullcourt shot to tie the game against Cincinnati and for 10 seconds nobody knew what was happening.
The best is when he asks a TV that he’s watching live on 17 inch studio monitor on a radio show to rewind like he is sitting courtside at Orlando as a TV commentator. “ can we get the long shot on that?”

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom