Watching the girls team, ok? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Watching the girls team, ok?

Reaction Score
So, the ACC and Big East the only conferences with F4 teams in both the M/W side? Pretty awesome if you tell me!

This was a great year for Big East Women's basketball in large part because of that unexpected Creighton run. Also, in a year where UConn Women looked a bit less dominant than usual it is nice to see them back in the F4 and avoid any potential negative narratives for the program and the league.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Why? If all the men's teams used a smaller ball is there some advantage you think we would have?

Yeah, the advantage would be not having the asinine "this girl X, should go teach this guy y how to shoot" , nonsense that has been going on here for 20 plus years.

Smaller ball, same size hoop, ball more likely to go in, no? I mean that is simple physics.

Very enjoyable game last night. Can't it ever be on its own merits?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
It was a really enjoyable game last night but in what world do you force a higher rated team to play in the lower rated teams backyard? That has to be worth at least 6 points.
If I'm NC State I would not be happy.
Good job UConn women (can I say women?!!)

Reaction Score
It was a really enjoyable game last night but in what world do you force a higher rated team to play in the lower rated teams backyard? That has to be worth at least 6 points.
Unpopular take here, but thats why its hard to take this tournament very seriously. NC state got "rewarded" for its regular season success by having to beat the 2 seed on the road, and also punished for not drawing as well as Uconn. Either way, the result is tainted.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Yeah, the advantage would be not having the asinine "this girl X, should go teach this guy y how to shoot" , nonsense that has been going on here for 20 plus years.

Smaller ball, same size hoop, ball more likely to go in, no? I mean that is simple physics.

Very enjoyable game last night. Can't it ever be on its own merits?
No you're missing the point. I get the snarky comeback; it's one I've often made myself when people compare the men's and women's games, which I made clear upthread that I don't like to do.

But your comment was in the context of the UConn men's team in particular, not men's basketball in general. If every team in men's CBB played with a smaller ball, it seems to me that wouldn't result in any distinct advantage to the UConn men in particular.

In other words, you misused the snarky comeback. Stay in your lane.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
No you're missing the point. I get the snarky comeback; it's one I've often made myself when people compare the men's and women's games, which I made clear upthread that I don't like to do.

But your comment was in the context of the UConn men's team in particular, not men's basketball in general. If every team in men's CBB played with a smaller ball, it seems to me that wouldn't result in any distinct advantage to the UConn men in particular.

In other words, you misused the snarky comeback. Stay in your lane.
I think I simply said “men”

Reaction Score
What an incredible difference in the quality of play between the first three quarters and the final 3 including OT. I was shocked by how much the women’s game appeared to have regressed the past couple years after watching the first three quarters. The level of play and clutch shots by both teams was a joy to watch. I also thought fouling up 3 at the end of OT made the most sense but they couldn’t risk the PG just going up in a shooting motion 40 feet out. The only play would have been to foul off the ball. Paige is back and it was a pleasure to see.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Unpopular take here, but thats why its hard to take this tournament very seriously. NC state got "rewarded" for its regular season success by having to beat the 2 seed on the road, and also punished for not drawing as well as Uconn. Either way, the result is tainted.
This is a valid complaint. I don't quite understand how that happened, unless the primary goal was attendance.

Dutch Boyd

A fine place to live
Reaction Score
Money talks. Gotta sell those seats.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Cunane kept flipping up what looked like prayers, and every single one went in. Never saw anything like it.
The rim was tremendously forgiving last night throughout the game and for both teams, though favoring NC State in terms of shots going in.

Reaction Score
This is a valid complaint. I don't quite understand how that happened, unless the primary goal was attendance.
I think they try to keep teams as close to home as possible, and South Carolina was seeded ahead of NC State, so they got Greensboro. That left NC State with Bridgeport. (But to your point about attendance, I can't imagine there was ever any chance UConn wasn't going to be put in the Bridgeport region regardless.)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
So, the ACC and Big East the only conferences with F4 teams in both the M/W side? Pretty awesome if you tell me!

This was a great year for Big East Women's basketball in large part because of that unexpected Creighton run. Also, in a year where UConn Women looked a bit less dominant than usual it is nice to see them back in the F4 and avoid any potential negative narratives for the program and the league.
Seton Hall is in the Women’s NIT Final Four, too

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Yeah, it is the primary goal. And I get why, but NC State has a gripe.

Reaction Score
4 regions: Greensboro NC, Spokane WA, Wichita KS, Bridgeport CT. These were selected in advance way before tournament began.

Top seeded team is SC- they play at arena closest to them, which is Greensboro. #2 seed is Stanford, they play at closest to them which is Spokane. Between remaining sites of Bridgeport and Wichita, Bridgeport is closer to NCSt, so that is why there were assigned there.

So 4 overall top seeds are allocated to the regions where they will go. The other teams in each region are place according to their rankings as well. The 2 seeds (UCONN, Texas, etc) are similarly placed in the brackets so that the strongest #1 seed is paired up with weakest #2 seed. And that is how UConn was paired in the Bridgeport region- it isn't favoritism (not by design, anyway), it just is done according to rankings after the season's play.

When it finally comes down to who is better in a matchup, it is one team vs another. If one team wants to be placed more advantageously in the tournament, then they should win more games.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Big difference between the men's and women's tournament is a 4 game home winning streak gets you in the Final 4.
True, but doesn’t always work out. Have you ever been to a women’s game?

Reaction Score
4 regions: Greensboro NC, Spokane WA, Wichita KS, Bridgeport CT. These were selected in advance way before tournament began.

Top seeded team is SC- they play at arena closest to them, which is Greensboro. #2 seed is Stanford, they play at closest to them which is Spokane. Between remaining sites of Bridgeport and Wichita, Bridgeport is closer to NCSt, so that is why there were assigned there.

So 4 overall top seeds are allocated to the regions where they will go. The other teams in each region are place according to their rankings as well. The 2 seeds (UCONN, Texas, etc) are similarly placed in the brackets so that the strongest #1 seed is paired up with weakest #2 seed. And that is how UConn was paired in the Bridgeport region- it isn't favoritism (not by design, anyway), it just is done according to rankings after the season's play.

When it finally comes down to who is better in a matchup, it is one team vs another. If one team wants to be placed more advantageously in the tournament, then they should win more games.
You can rationalize it all you want but there is NO WAY UConn was getting placed anywhere but Bridgeport. I don't care if they were the weakest 1, the strongest 5 or a mediocre 8......that's the bracket they were getting put in. If you think otherwise you are delusional.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The goal in the women's tournament has always been attendance. UNC played South Carolina in Greensborough. The first two rounds higher seed plays straight up at home. Then the regionals are in places known to draw a crowd based on the teams playing. Otherwise they'd play these games in empty buildings.

If NC State wants to play closer to home they should trying having some fans. In this case, they still wouldn't because South Carolina was the top seed and so landed in the regional near NC State. I suppose they could have been the #2 there and UConn a #1 in Bridgeport. But would that be better?

Reaction Score
I was surprised how often it seems to happen too. I think they just send the 2 seeds to the closest region which really doesn't make sense

Interesting.

So UConn has gone 3-1 as the advantaged #2 seed, and 5-0 as the #1 seed who was supposed to be disadvantaged except the #2 seed lost 4 of those times before the regional final.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom