Voepel: S. Carolina should have beat UCONN | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Voepel: S. Carolina should have beat UCONN

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I suspect you are aware that stories can be delivered both in writing or orally, as with bedtime stories.
I suspect you know damn well this was not delivered in writing but keep clinging to that.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
My point is simply that while you quote Voepel’s qualifying comments said at the beginning and end of her remarks to support your position, you pass over the crux of Voepel’s argument in the middle, that SC should have won the game. She in no way acknowledges that either team could have won, something that is clearly acknowledged by Geno.

The problem I have with Voepel is the same problem I have with some here on the BY that believe beating Georgetown by a mere 24 points is somehow a failure on UConn’s part. Such arguments fail to give due credit and respect to Georgetown for competing hard and not rolling over when facing UConn.

The same “we should have won” argument was also suggested after the Ark loss. IMO, Ark outplayed UConn and deserved to win. It wasn’t handed to them, and SC did not hand UConn the game on Wednesday night, which was Voepel’s contention.
Voelpel pointed to those 4 missed layupsas evidence SC should have won. Mechelle did you look at those layups? Those that tossed them up choked. This happens in sports. It is not like horse shoes. They have to go in. No matter. Each could have gone in and come out. Result is the same. The "objective" sports journalist said the loser should have won. Remember this the next time you see her byline.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
You statement can also apply to South Carolina, Louisville, and others.

The ball has nothing to do with anything.

Geno had it correct in the post game interview. The team that wins it all will be the team that gets hot at the right time.
I know the ball doesn't make a difference, only curious about why different balls are being used, and why certain teams use different balls.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Who was the female comentator on the TV feed? With 12 seconds to play, just before SC played volleyball with the basket she says "I want the champs to win it the shot clock not in play." Sounds like the former ACC coach who is very biased against UConn - I'm blanking on her name.

PS. SC are not "the champs". No champ last year.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Who was the female comentator on the TV feed? With 12 seconds to play, just before SC played volleyball with the basket she says "I want the champs to win it the shot clock not in play." Sounds like the former ACC coach who is very biased against UConn - I'm blanking on her name.
Which game broadcast are you referring to?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Which game broadcast are you referring to?
Sorry, UConn v. S C ... sounds like Beth Mowins. I paid no attention during the game. I was just listening to high lights and could not believe what I heard.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Sorry, UConn v. S C ... sounds like Beth Mowins. I paid no attention during the game. I was just listening to high lights and could not believe what I heard.
The broadcasters for the game were Monica McNutt and Lisa Byington. Monica played basketball at Georgetown.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Voepel's opinion pieces (video or print) seem to fall into the standard ESPN template of creating controversy where there is none: who has the most to lose, what does it mean for team "X" moving forward, can they recover?

UConn made shots at the end. SC missed shots at the end. We won. They might use the loss as motivation. End of story.
ESPN is still pissed that they weren't the ones that broadcasted the game because of UConn's move to the Big East. They are missing out on the numbers that UConn gets vs many other teams. I just hope that FOX, FS1, FS2, and CBS Sports get better announcers on the remaining games that they telecast.

Reaction Score
If you watch the replay of the "missed layups" at the end, it's not like they were right under the basket with no one on them. The Uconn defenders were CONTESTING them. And if you look close enough at the replay (and maybe slow it down a little) you'll see the shots were slightly DEFLECTED by the defenders as well. So it wasn't just a case of SC "missing easy shots". Uconn defenders deserve a little credit for MAKING THEM MISS. They were shots close to the basket but that doesn't make them easy shots when you have tall, athletic defenders in your face contesting and deflecting them.
It's like in the NFL when a team loses on a missed 20 yard field goal at the end and the narrative is "oh they missed an easy field goal at the end and should have won". But if the defender gets in and gets just enough of a hand on the kick to MAKE IT MISS then it's not all about the kicker missing a short kick. You have to give the defense credit for making a play just as much as the kicking team not getting it done.

Reaction Score
That's pretty accurate. SC had 4 shots to win the game in regulation.

Accurate but BS. They missed all those attempts. We could just as soon say that Arike's prayer in 2018 "shouldn't have gone in".

There's no "should have won" in basketball except for whiners.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Accurate but BS. They missed all those attempts. We could just as soon say that Arike's prayer in 2018 "shouldn't have gone in".

There's no "should have won" in basketball except for whiners.
:eek: Well I guess if you are going to put out BS best to make sure it is accurate.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Nice-you could care less what she had to say but you want the time you spent listening to her back? Suggest you spend you time more wisely.
Man, you got that right. When it comes to wasting time, I am a superhero.

Reaction Score
You guys need to stop gunning for her and at least listen to what she said.
South Carolina had 4 shots to win the game at the end of regulation. She's not reliving the whole game in which either team had chances to put the game away. She specifically is talking about those 4 shots at the end of regulation. She specifically said "not to take anything from UCONN". @SVCBeercats way to antagonize the mass with that headline.

Yeah, and if timekeeper had pulled a "Clockwork Orange" that last tip in would have counted. Voepel reminds of a thousand guys I've sat next to in bars watching various sports where we rooted for different teams. Voepel is a pro. She knew the game would be the topic and of all the different aspects of the game she could have picked she decided to talk about how one of those tip in attempts "should have fallen"? That's what a SC fan would say to a UConn fan, not what a pro sports commentator should choose for a discussion topic. Michele is just trying to stir the pot.

Reaction Score
Yeah, and if timekeeper had pulled a "Clockwork Orange" that last tip in would have counted. Voepel reminds of a thousand guys I've sat next to in bars watching various sports where we rooted for different teams. Voepel is a pro. She knew the game would be the topic and of all the different aspects of the game she could have picked she decided to talk about how one of those tip in attempts "should have fallen"? That's what a SC fan would say to a UConn fan, not what a pro sports commentator should choose for a discussion topic. Michele is just trying to stir the pot.
She should have talked about the ball. We would have been all good with that. (just kidding)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It is Mechelle and UCONN was playing at home so any "clock work orange" would not only have been unlikely but also self inflicted. When I sit next to people at the bar and I'm curious about what team they are rooting for I just go ahead and ask them instead of assuming. If they give the correct answer, and make no mistake about it, there is a correct answer, I might buy them a round. Mechelle is no more of a fan of SC than she is a fan of UCONN. Some of the grown men on this board should stop disparaging these hard working women like Mechelle and Dee Kanter.

Reaction Score
If SC won on a putback it would also be because UConn failed to box out well enough. Henderson took a pretty bad stepback to start that flurry without breaking down the defense, so everyone should have had their man and had good box out position (it was a bit of a funky rebound spinning to the baseline that the SC kid read well, or guessed well on, but either way we probably would have had some box out drills in practice on Tuesday). Coupled with the previous turnover on our last possession when the ball was out of Paige’s hands, and the last 30 seconds is pretty lamentable for us in that 56-54 loss on Earth 2.

Reaction Score
UCONN won the game. Why is it that some of you'll seek additional affirmation from the outside? You get triggered by the slightest comment that you deem as negative.
You nailed it! Keep posting.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
OK pal. Where do I say that Voepel is a SC fan? Her comment is what I would expect from any of the SC fans who post here. That doesn't make her a fan which I thought I made clear by saying she's "stirring the pot".
Thanks for revising your post little Buddy. You can take the Ok Pal out also so as not to continue to involve the moderators.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom